Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 00:14   #391
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The stock Bridgestone B250s on my dad's i10 don't have much life left in them after ~ 27k km and more than 3 years. Besides, one of the tyres has developed a flat spot and has been placed in the boot as the spare. Another one, which suffered a sidewall puncture (repaired by a hot patch and used as spare till now) is being used at the rear. I don't want to continue with these tyres for too much longer, as I'm worried about the continued strength and integrity of the hot patched tyre.

I want to upsize to 175/70 R13 tyres when replacing this set. But the stock rims are 4B x 13" which seem to be too narrow for 175 section tyres. I'm not in favour of going for alloys, so I'm looking at buying a set of 5 Accent steel wheels as the Accent Executive comes with stock 175/70 R13 tyres. Carnation quoted Rs. 1500 for a single new wheel while the HASS quoted Rs. 1300 for the same.

I would like to know from the tyre and wheel experts/Accent owners whether the PCD and centre hole diameter of the Accent wheels match those of the i10. Logically they should be the same, but I need to be sure.

Also, is Rs. 6500 for a set of 5 new steel rims as quoted by the HASS a fair price to pay? Can I source the same for a cheaper rate anywhere else (in Chennai)? Thanks in advance!
Old 21st September 2012, 01:01   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The stock Bridgestone B250s on my dad's i10 don't have much life left in them after ~ 27k km and more than 3 years. Besides, one of the tyres has developed a flat spot and has been placed in the boot as the spare. Another one, which suffered a sidewall puncture (repaired by a hot patch and used as spare till now) is being used at the rear. I don't want to continue with these tyres for too much longer, as I'm worried about the continued strength and integrity of the hot patched tyre.

I want to upsize to 175/70 R13 tyres when replacing this set. But the stock rims are 4B x 13" which seem to be too narrow for 175 section tyres. I'm not in favour of going for alloys, so I'm looking at buying a set of 5 Accent steel wheels as the Accent Executive comes with stock 175/70 R13 tyres. Carnation quoted Rs. 1500 for a single new wheel while the HASS quoted Rs. 1300 for the same.

I would like to know from the tyre and wheel experts/Accent owners whether the PCD and centre hole diameter of the Accent wheels match those of the i10. Logically they should be the same, but I need to be sure.

Also, is Rs. 6500 for a set of 5 new steel rims as quoted by the HASS a fair price to pay? Can I source the same for a cheaper rate anywhere else (in Chennai)? Thanks in advance!
Go to a tire + wheel store and talk to them - there are quite a few people who change brand new tires + wheels first thing out of the showroom (like me) - you might score some next-to-new stuff at very competitive price.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:09   #393
BHPian

Quote:
6500 for a set of 5 steel rims sounds too steep! Not a good deal at all. Rather than putting that much on steel rims, add another 5 or 6 K and get a set of neat looking alloys.

I changed both tires and rims the moment I drove out of the showroom and the tire shop guy was only ready to give me as much as 1 - 1.5K for it. Like blackasta mentioned, it would be a good idea to check out the availability of such rims in any near by shops.

r-six
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:27   #394
RSR
Senior - BHPian

blackasta and R-Six, thanks guys!

I'll have a chat with a couple of tyre shop guys to see if they have the required steel rims. Cheers!
Old 25th September 2012, 22:38   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Originally Posted by agbenny: Did you upsized to alloys? Or the Same OE RIM?

Used the same stock wheels only.
Quote:
I want to upsize to 175/70 R13 tyres when replacing this set. But the stock rims are 4B x 13" which seem to be too narrow for 175 section tyres.
Confused with these 2 posts. Because I want to upgrade my i10 tyres now but don't want to go for alloy. I did 36K on my stock Bridgestone tyres and now I am getting noise when driving above 80 KMPH and also getting small vibration kind of sound from tyres even at 30 KMPH.

Should I upgrade to 175/70 R13 on stock wheels without changing rims? If so how safe it is?
or
Should I follow what RSR mentioned above? What is the reason for changing the stock rims when I upgrade to 175/70 R13 tyres?
Old 26th September 2012, 17:56   #396
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk

Confused with these 2 posts. Because I want to upgrade my i10 tyres now but don't want to go for alloy. I did 36K on my stock Bridgestone tyres and now I am getting noise when driving above 80 KMPH and also getting small vibration kind of sound from tyres even at 30 KMPH.

Should I upgrade to 175/70 R13 on stock wheels without changing rims? If so how safe it is?
or
Should I follow what RSR mentioned above? What is the reason for changing the stock rims when I upgrade to 175/70 R13 tyres?
vijayk, we are in the same boat and I guess your stock Bridgestone set is also at the end of its effective life, so it's better to get them changed as soon as possible.

The issue basically boils down to this:

Is it possible to mount 175/70 R13 tyres on the stock 4B x 13" rims? Most certainly yes, as shown on this thread before.

But is it recommended? The answer is no, according to the tyre and wheel manufacturers and auto experts as the rim is too narrow for 175 section tyres.

Each tyre size has an ideal rim width. Apart from this, there are two alternate rim widths for the size, usually (but not always) +0.5" and -0.5" from the ideal width. It is not recommended to mount any tyre on a rim whose width falls outside this range. For example, go through this chart taken from the website of Michelin India mentioning the rim width range for their XM2 tyres of different sizes. Hope it helps you in your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image3737521211.jpg  

Last edited by RSR : 26th September 2012 at 17:59.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 00:18   #397
BHPian

Thanks RSR.

In that case, for upgrading to 175/70 R13, I need to change my rim to the recommended width 5.5" in size (current stock one is 4" in size). Am I correct?

I hope we are on the same boat. Please recommend me any good shop to get it done with tyres based on your experience (or you can PM me).
Old 27th September 2012, 22:21   #398
BHPian

Guys, i am planning to fit alloys on my i10 and i think i will go for 14 inches. I have almost finalised on the rims but for tyres , i saw these tyres names " achilles ".

here's the website : http://www.achillesradial.com/en/

Any idea how these tires are ?

Regards

Aditya
Old 30th September 2012, 19:21   #399
BHPian

I almost made up my mind to go for alloy wheels to my i10 (already run 36K KM).

I opted for 175/70 R13 after reading all discussions here. Following are the quote given by LAL, whites road. Please suggest whether it is reasonable to go with.

175/70 R13 HRS alloy wheels - Rs. 3450 per wheel
175/70 R13 Michelin XM2 - Rs.4375 per tyre

Appreciate any of our member's help.
vijayk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:52   #400
BHPian

Finally I upgraded my i10 tyre and wheel @ LAL (apollo) near EA, Whites RD.

He has shown some models on 13" alloy wheels from different brands. He has arranged some more models from nearby LAL stores including HRS as I don't like the models he is having. It went for 1.5 hours to select alloy wheel to suit my taste. I didn't have more options but finally opted for Onyx alloy wheels.

13" Onyx alloy (4) - 10.8K
175/70 R13 Michelin XM2 - 4375 per tyre

Eventhough I never heard about Onyx brand before, I went for it as I don't find anything appeal to me and to my i10.

I liked the passion he has shown to me till I decided on wheel. The place is very neat and work done was good. Also done wheel balancing and alignment and also sold my old tyres and stock wheels for 1.5K (already run 35K KM).
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:39   #401
BHPian

After a long wait of 3 years, i finally have alloys on my car. I went in for stallion alloys. I went for this brand as it is manufactured by a friend of mine so i know the quality of these alloys. They are 6J alloys and are very well made.

And i went in for Goodyear GT3's - 175/60 R14. The other option i had was Achilles Platinum tyres. I didnt go for them as i have'nt heard about thois company at all but lately i have seen quite a few plol's and swifts with these tyres. Therefore went in for goodyear's.

I know its not the correct upsize ( please dont kill me for this ) and the speedo error i -2.2 %. But except all that, the car has completely transformed. The handling is thousand times better. It brakes well. The ride quality has improved by miles. Lastly there is lot less tire noise and i mean a lot lot less than before.

My mom usually sits in the back seats and she used to hate the bouncy ride before but she is loving it now after the upgrade.

Do let me know if you guys like the alloys. Will put some better pics in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-car-1.jpg  

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-car-2.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:33   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
And i went in for Goodyear GT3's - 175/60 R14. The other option i had was Achilles Platinum tyres. I didnt go for them as i have'nt heard about thois company at all but lately i have seen quite a few plol's and swifts with these tyres. Therefore went in for goodyear's.

The handling is thousand times better. It brakes well. The ride quality has improved by miles. Lastly there is lot less tire noise and i mean a lot lot less than before.

My mom usually sits in the back seats and she used to hate the bouncy ride before but she is loving it now after the upgrade.

Do let me know if you guys like the alloys. Will put some better pics in a day or two.
Hi AB, It is really good looking alloy and suits well with the over all car. I also liked the same type of simple 5 spokes alloy without any much cut or over killing design. Here is my Onyx alloys I went for my i10 yesterday. I never heard about this brand but I liked the design.

With this (175/70 R13 Michelin XM2), handling is improved, ride is good and like you said, the noise level is far better than before.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20121002-12.04.55.jpg  

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20121002-12.05.15.jpg  

Old 4th October 2012, 21:08   #403
BHPian

Guys i need 4 set of i10 stock bridgestone tyres.(155/80 r13) Interested friends do msg me. Im residing in chennai.
Usage should be less than 1000 km.
- Rajesh
Old 5th October 2012, 10:28   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
Hi AB, It is really good looking alloy and suits well with the over all car. I also liked the same type of simple 5 spokes alloy without any much cut or over killing design. Here is my Onyx alloys I went for my i10 yesterday. I never heard about this brand but I liked the design.

With this (175/70 R13 Michelin XM2), handling is improved, ride is good and like you said, the noise level is far better than before.
Thanks a lot. And your set of alloys are great too. These were my second option. BTW how much did you pay for the set of alloys and tires ?
Old 5th October 2012, 14:38   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Thanks a lot. And your set of alloys are great too. These were my second option. BTW how much did you pay for the set of alloys and tires ?
Thanks. I have already posted the cost few posts before here. Please refer.

Most Viewed