Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2014, 16:38   #496
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

I am looking for a set of alloys (preferably with tyres) for my i10.
13 inch i10 or 14 inch i20 alloys. New/sparingly used ones

I would prefer someone's who's upgrading his shoes right out of showroom for a direct fit.
It will be mutually beneficial to both as tyre shops give much less price in such buybacks.
Need it in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai.

Anyone getting a new car and planning to upgrade. Kindly PM
Old 17th August 2014, 21:58   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
With 39K+ on the Yoko ES100s, the time is coming up fast that I change the shoes. Now 185/60R14 tires have a -0.1 circumference difference from the 155/80R13 stock size, but fewer tires are available in that size.
I was looking up 175/65R14 size, which has a circumference difference of +0.85% (well within the tolerance limit), and is available with Yoko Earth 1 that seems to have good reviews.

I checked the thread to find a few members have upsized to 175/65R14 size - what's the verdict?
The nozzles on my ES100 gave up at 25k+. All four became brittle, cracked and started leaking air. I did not realize this until one of the nozzles cracked completely and refused to hold any air at all.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-170820141247.jpg

I was thinking about changing them altogether but then Indo Radial Club said they can fix it without changing the tyre. So got new nozzles/valves fixed @Rs 100/pc.

The new i10 Grande comes with 165/65R14. Tyres look meatier than the previous 155/80R13. You might take a peek. I would probably change to this size once I get rid of ES100 after another 10k or so.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:04   #498
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I've a query. My i10 was subjected to vandalism where the tires were punctured on purpose. The front right Tyre has many punctures close to the side wall. I'd it fixed and so far (1 month) there has been no leakages and seems to run fine.

The car has completed about 30K kms so far and is the primary vehicle for my wife. Here commute is not more that 8 Kms per day. The parking is in the open road without any security.

My spare is brand new and I'm planning to replace the punctured tyre as a spare. Will there be any issue if i just replace only one Tyre? Kindly advise.

Cheers.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:33   #499
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
I've a query. My i10 was subjected to vandalism where the tires were punctured on purpose. The front right Tyre has many punctures close to the side wall. I'd it fixed and so far (1 month) there has been no leakages and seems to run fine.

My spare is brand new and I'm planning to replace the punctured tyre as a spare. Will there be any issue if i just replace only one Tyre? Kindly advise.
I'm sorry to hear of the nasty act of vandalism on your car. I hate the sadists who take pleasure in damaging other folks' property.

I'd recommend replacing the vandalised tyre with many sidewall punctures, even if it has been fixed and seems to be running fine with no loss of pressure. At least, place in the boot and use it as a spare only. You can use it as a spare till one or two of your other tyres wear out, and then buy a new pair.

Although the usual practice is to replace tyres in pairs, there is no harm in buying a single tyre. If you do buy a new tyre now, please purchase one of the same brand and type as the others. You haven't mentioned the age of the vehicle while stating that it has run 30k km.

Since you've mentioned that the spare remains unused so far, you can run the unused spare and a new tyre of the same type on the rear of the car. It's important to put this combination on the rear of the car, and not on the front.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RSR : 24th August 2014 at 22:34.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:29   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Although the usual practice is to replace tyres in pairs, there is no harm in buying a single tyre. If you do buy a new tyre now, please purchase one of the same brand and type as the others. You haven't mentioned the age of the vehicle while stating that it has run 30k km.

Hope this helps.
@RSR,
Thank you very much Sir for the reply. My vehicle is a 2010 model. Yes the idea of using in pairs makes sense. I'll go ahead and change them.

Also keeping my fingers crossed.
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 08:32   #501
BHPian

Hi all,

After going through all the posts, I think I should go for the 175/70/R13 sets.
1. I also understand that I should upsize the rim size or get alloys of minimum 4.5 inches?
2. Should I specifically mention the above to the tyre dealer while purchasing new sets of tyres?
3. What brand of alloys would you recommend in the range of 3 - 4k per piece?
Old 28th August 2014, 11:49   #502
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
After going through all the posts, I think I should go for the 175/70/R13 sets.
Yes, 175/70R13 is the best upgrade option for the i10. Grip would be increased without affecting the ride quality or FE by too much, with this size. Even the decrease in GC would be negligible (1.5 mm).

Quote:
1. I also understand that I should upsize the rim size or get alloys of minimum 4.5 inches?
Yes again. If you're going for 175/70R13 tyres, then it's recommended to have rims with a minimum width of 4.5", as the stock 4.0Bx13 rims are not recommended for this tyre size.

Quote:
2. Should I specifically mention the above to the tyre dealer while purchasing new sets of tyres?
Please do mention the same, and exchange your stock steel rims for either alloys or OEM steel rims (if he has them) of at least 4.5" in width.

Quote:
3. What brand of alloys would you recommend in the range of 3 - 4k per piece?
I don't have much idea about aftermarket alloys, so the other members should be able to answer this question better.

Last edited by RSR : 28th August 2014 at 12:06.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:33   #503
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if 205/55/15 a good upgrade for i10 Grand ?

Regards
Old 7th September 2014, 15:14   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if 205/55/15 a good upgrade for i10 Grand ?

Regards
15" is not appropriate for i10.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 14:32   #505
BHPian

* Another doubt I have is if I plan to upsize my tires to 185/60/R14, should I buy in pairs of 5 tyres and alloys?
* Can I reuse one of my stock tires ( keep it in the boot ) in the case of a flat / punctured tyre for sometime till I replace it with a new one?
Old 13th September 2014, 12:53   #506
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* Another doubt I have is if I plan to upsize my tires to 185/60/R14, should I buy in pairs of 5 tyres and alloys?
You can buy a set of 5 alloys and tyres if you want to.

Quote:
* Can I reuse one of my stock tires ( keep it in the boot ) in the case of a flat / punctured tyre for sometime till I replace it with a new one?
Let's consider the two sizes here:

Overall Diameter of the stock 155/80R14 = (155 x 0.8 x 2) + (13 x 25.4) = 578.2 mm

Overall Diameter of the new 185/60R14 = (185 x 0.6 x 2) + (14 x 25.4) = 577.6 mm

Diameter difference = 578.2 - 577.6 = 0.6 mm

GC difference = 0.6 / 2 = 0.3 mm

So the difference in overall diameter of the two sizes is a negligible 0.6 mm and the GC would decrease by a tiny 0.3 mm only, and these two numbers are nothing really.

So yes, you can opt to buy a set of four 14" alloys and 185/60R14 tyres, and use one stock steel rim along with a stock 155/80R13 tyre as the spare in the boot.

Please remember to use the 13" rim and 155 section tyre as a spare only i.e. use it to replace a flat tyre and drive the car at speeds not exceeding 80 km/hr. Fix the flat tyre as soon as possible, put it back in its position, and place the 155/80R13 in the boot as the spare again.

Although the overall diameter and GC would remain almost the same, the car would indeed behave differently at high speeds, because of the difference in the contact patch on the road, as well as the difference in sidewall height between the two sizes.

And that's why it's recommended not to exceed 80 km/hr with such a set-up, and to fix the punctured tyre as soon as possible. As long as you keep this in mind, you can safely and happily use the stock 155/80R13 as a spare.

Last edited by RSR : 13th September 2014 at 13:04.
Old 14th September 2014, 22:21   #507
BHPian

Quote:
You can buy 5 alloys but the problem is i10's spare tyre space in the boot does not accommodate 14" alloy very well. Even though you may manage to push it in somehow, you will not be able to store the jack and other tools there. I would not recommend to upgrade the spare to 14" alloy. i10 Grande too does not provide a 5th alloy.

Yes, you can use the stock spare in emergency situations but do not drive at excessive speeds. Also, it is better to put the spare at one of the rear wheels. With the spare in rear, I would limit myself to 75-80 kmph. With the spare in front, I will be even slower, maybe by another 10-15 kmph.
sbiswas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 23:46   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Yes, you can use the stock spare in emergency situations but do not drive at excessive speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
As long as you keep this in mind, you can safely and happily use the stock 155/80R13 as a spare.
Thank you guys for your valuable opinions. Based on all these input, I went and purchased four sets of alloys and tyres. Although I thought of upsizing to 175/70/R13, I changed my mind and upsized to 185/60/R14 Yoko A-drives
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_20140914_001.jpg  

Last edited by eyesice : 14th September 2014 at 23:47. Reason: specified tyre manufacturer
eyesice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 00:14   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for your valuable opinions. Based on all these input, I went and purchased four sets of alloys and tyres. Although I thought of upsizing to 175/70/R13, I changed my mind and upsized to 185/60/R14 Yoko A-drives
From the picture you've posted, it appears the installer has not aligned your tyre(s) correctly.

Since most alloy wheels do not have the notch marking to indicate minimum radial run-out, which should ideally be matched to the point of maximum radial run-out on the tyre (i.e. the red dot), it makes sense to go with the 2nd best option of aligning the yellow dot (point of lightest weight) with the valve stem on the wheel (point of highest weight).

Anyhow, this is not worth fighting for as long as you've had proper balancing done.
bharatsomany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 07:51   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
From the picture you've posted, it appears the installer has not aligned your tyre(s) correctly.

Since most alloy wheels do not have the notch marking to indicate minimum radial run-out, which should ideally be matched to the point of maximum radial run-out on the tyre (i.e. the red dot), it makes sense to go with the 2nd best option of aligning the yellow dot (point of lightest weight) with the valve stem on the wheel (point of highest weight).
Thanks for the info. Will this affect me in the longer run? Is it ok if I keep it like this? He has done balancing for me. Will try to post the report today.

Last edited by eyesice : 15th September 2014 at 07:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks