Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2015, 16:58   #541
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
I do want to upgrade them but do not want to change my steel rims.

Hence my query - which size should I use? Should I use the recommended size or something else which will fit the 4J rims?(please guide me as to which size other that stock will fit on the steel rims)

I'm more inclined towards Michelin but it makes only the stock size that fits my rims.
If you plan to use the stock rims, then I would suggest that you stick to 155/80R13 tyres (stock size), as rims of at least 4.5" in width are recommended for an upsize to 175/70R13.

The key word here is "recommended" as tyre manufacturers (like Michelin, Yokohama etc.) do not recommend fitting 175/70R13 tyres on the stock 4.0Bx13 rims of the i10. The upsized tyres may fit on the stock rims (as has been done by a few members on this thread), but it isn't a recommended practice.

Michelin Energy XM2s are among the (if not the) best all-round tyres you can find in 155/80R13 size. They are very grippy, provide slightly improved steering performance, improved ride quality & vastly improved braking performance, and are very silent compared to the stock Bridgestone B250s. The XM2s are quite tough and have pretty decent life as well.

The downside is that they are expensive compared to the rest, but they are well worth the money, I assure you. I'm currently using two Michelin Energy XM2s (stock size on stock rims) on our i10 and love them. I'll be changing the other two to XM2s in a short while as well.

Last edited by RSR : 15th May 2015 at 17:05.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 17:02   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
If you plan to use the stock rims, then I would suggest that you stick to 155/80R13 tyres (stock size), as rims of at least 4.5" in width are recommended for an upsize to 175/70R13.

The key word here is "recommended" as tyre manufacturers (like Michelin, Yokohama etc.) do not recommend fitting 175/70R13 tyres on the stock 4.0Bx13 rims of the i10. The upsized tyres may fit on the stock rims (as has been done by a few members on this thread), but it isn't a recommended practice.

Michelin Energy XM2s are among the (if not the) best all-round tyres you can find in that size. They are very grippy, provide slightly improved steering performance, improved ride quality & vastly improved braking performance, and are very silent compared to the stock Bridgestone B250s. The XM2s are quite tough and have pretty decent life as well.

The downside is that they are expensive compared to the rest, but they are well worth the money, I assure you. I'm using two Michelin Energy XM2s on our i10 and love them. I'll be changing the other two to XM2 in a short while as well.
Done! My main concern was the tyre noise coming from the stock B250s.
Are these directional tyres or normal ones? I would want the normal ones
Old 15th May 2015, 17:35   #543
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Done! My main concern was the tyre noise coming from the stock B250s.
Are these directional tyres or normal ones? I would want the normal ones
Yes, the B250s are quite noisy. The tyre noise difference between the two is simply huge. XM2s are probably the most silent tyres one can find in this size.

XM2s are not uni-directional tyres.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:02   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the B250s are quite noisy. The tyre noise difference between the two is simply huge. XM2s are probably the most silent tyres one can find in this size.

XM2s are not uni-directional tyres.
Great! Will post as soon as I have them installed!! Thanks for your input!
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 17:44   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin Energy XM2s are among the (if not the) best all-round tyres you can find in 155/80R13 size. They are very grippy, provide slightly improved steering performance, improved ride quality & vastly improved braking performance, and are very silent compared to the stock Bridgestone B250s. The XM2s are quite tough and have pretty decent life as well.

The downside is that they are expensive compared to the rest, but they are well worth the money, I assure you. I'm currently using two Michelin Energy XM2s (stock size on stock rims) on our i10 and love them. I'll be changing the other two to XM2s in a short while as well.
Hello again!

I replaced all 5 tyres and had the Michelin Energy XM2s fitted. You were absolutely right! There is a vast improvement in the road noise inside the cabin and overall ride/comfort! The owner of the shop gave me an alternative to the XM2s - Yokohama Earth-1s if I wanted to save some money but as per his recommendation too, he said to go for the XM2s. I drove about 30kms from the shop to my home and just loved them!

Thanks again for convincing me!
Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2015 at 17:49. Reason: Formatted post.
hrbheda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 14:10   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yes - it's the same tires.
But ES100 seems to be pretty soft rubber. At 30k my treads are almost non-existent now. I have to change soon and this time I would go for something harder - maybe Michelin or Pirelli I think.
Old 24th May 2015, 16:57   #547
BHPian

I do have one question!

When the tyres were mounted, the installer didn't align the red dot with the valve stem. The tyres were balanced properly and i don't have any pulling/wobbling issues at all. Should i have the tyres remounted and rebalanced or is it fine?

@Mod: I tried posting this same query from the team-bhp app on android but something went wrong! if both these replies show up please delete one(any).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th May 2015 at 17:08. Reason: Please wait for a moderator to approve the first 25 posts. Thanks!
Old 25th May 2015, 15:58   #548
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove about 30kms from the shop to my home and just loved them!

Thanks again for convincing me!
You're welcome! I'm glad you love the XM2s - they're possibly the best tyres one can find in the i10's stock size of 155/80R13, and are well worth the additional price.

You'll love them even more after the initial run-in period, when you can fully enjoy the lovely grip, improved braking, smooth ride quality and very low noise levels.

Quote:
I do have one question!

When the tyres were mounted, the installer didn't align the red dot with the valve stem. The tyres were balanced properly and i don't have any pulling/wobbling issues at all. Should i have the tyres remounted and rebalanced or is it fine?
According to the correct match-mounting procedure, the uniformity method gets first preference. In this method, the red dot on the tyre (point of maximum radial force variation) needs to be aligned with the notch/coloured dot on the wheel (point of minimum radial run-out). It's possible that the installer has performed the correct match-mounting procedure by aligning the two.

In case the wheel does not have a marking (notch/coloured dot) to indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, then one can follow the weight method of match-mounting. In this method, the yellow dot on the tyre (point of lightest weight) needs to be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel (point of heaviest weight).

Correct match-mounting provides the optimum starting point for balancing. If the wheels have been correctly balanced without performing match-mounting, then it's not necessary to perform remounting & rebalancing.

Only if you experience some kind of minor wobbling (usually observed at speeds > 80 km/hr), does it become necessary to perform remounting & rebalancing. Otherwise, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by RSR : 25th May 2015 at 16:03.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:41   #549
BHPian

I would be planning to change my tyres since stock BS B250 are nearing 40k. The road noise has become unbearable.

Shortlisted 2 of them: Michelin XM2 and BS Turanza ER60. I would be upsizing to the recommended 175/70 R13 and putting Neo alloys.

I tend to do lot of highway runs and remote locations where roads are not always good, so slightly more inclined towards tougher BS. My question is, how are BS in terms of road noise and grip?
Old 30th May 2015, 18:14   #550
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts. Use Multi Quote [Quote +]. Also use Report post to inform Mods of any issues you might be facing. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
I would be planning to change my tyres since stock BS B250 are nearing 40k. The road noise has become unbearable.

Shortlisted 2 of them: Michelin XM2 and BS Turanza ER60. I would be upsizing to the recommended 175/70 R13 and putting Neo alloys.

I tend to do lot of highway runs and remote locations where roads are not always good, so slightly more inclined towards tougher BS. My question is, how are BS in terms of road noise and grip?
I haven't used the BS ER60 but having used the stock size XM2s (on recommendation from RSR sir) has made a marked improvement in all aspects viz. Braking , grip, comfort and especially road noise.

When I asked around what effect the up sizing will I was told that the steering will become slightly harder when turning while standstill. Also overall steering feel will become hard. IMO, it defeats the peppy nature and easy of parking of the i10.
Since you do a lot of highway runs you can compromise on the steering feel

IMO, go for the XM2s. Totally worth the extra cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
The road noise has become unbearable.

Hello! I haven't used the BS ER60 so cannot comment on that.
Having used the XM2s (on recommendation of RSR sir). I can safely say there is a marked improvement on all fronts viz. braking, comfort grip and especially road noise. ( I am using the stock size )

When hunting around for tyres i was told that upsizing would make the steering quite hard to turn when stationary and otherwise too. According to me, it defeats the purpose of the peppy and easy to park nature of the i10.

Since you do a lot of highway runs you can overlook this fact.

IMO, go for the XM2s. I presume they would be better over the BSs even in the upsized version.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2015 at 19:02. Reason: Back to back posts. Use Multi Quote [Quote +] Thanks.
Old 6th June 2015, 16:54   #551
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
You'll love them even more after the initial run-in period, when you can fully enjoy the lovely grip, improved braking, smooth ride quality and very low noise levels.
Greetings All!
I've covered almost 600 kms on the new set of XM2s. They have gotten better in all aspects especially the braking. It feels more confident now.

Just a couple of general questions:
1) Any one fill nitrogen in their i10? If yes, have you observed any significant benefits? I have a filling station close to my house but they charge Rs 100/tyre for the first time and consequently Rs 10/tyre for top ups.
What if i have a puncture where nitrogen is not available or genrally if have to top up air, i will need to go to a nitrogen filling station. Is the extra cost worth all the hassle later on ?

2) At what interval should one rotate the tyres ?
The user manual states every 10,000k kms and some threads on tBHP mention every 5000 km.
I will be doing a 5 wheel rotation as pictured in the user manual for even wear.

In case of alignment and balancing, i get it done every 5000 or so kms.
Old 6th June 2015, 22:27   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings All!
I've covered almost 600 kms on the new set of XM2s. They have gotten better in all aspects especially the braking. It feels more confident now.

Just a couple of general questions:
1) Any one fill nitrogen in their i10? If yes, have you observed any significant benefits? I have a filling station close to my house but they charge Rs 100/tyre for the first time and consequently Rs 10/tyre for top ups.
What if i have a puncture where nitrogen is not available or genrally if have to top up air, i will need to go to a nitrogen filling station. Is the extra cost worth all the hassle
I use nitrogen for my I10 bridgestone tyres. I could not find any significant difference. However, frequecy of topup has been reduced due to lower discharge.
Old 7th June 2015, 10:09   #553
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Got my i10 fitted with XM2 185/6014R. The first difference I am noticing is the ground clearance and ride quality. ES100 had a flat tyre profile and the entire surface used to cling onto the ground giving excellent traction but also high noise, slightly low clearance and uncomfortable ride on bumpy roads.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_18601.jpg

Michelin on the other hand has a curved profile giving much comfortable ride as it seems.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150606_123940930_hdr.jpg

The tyre has enough clearance with the body. Not touching anywhere at all. ES100 used to touch front mudguards while full turning.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20150606_123911245.jpg

Last edited by sbiswas : 7th June 2015 at 10:12.
Old 9th June 2015, 16:33   #554
BHPian

After lot of confusion changed my stock BS to Michelin XM2. Upgraded to 175/70 R13 from stock 155/80 R13 alongwith Neo alloys.

Ride improved as usual. Michelins are super silent and smooth.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20150607wa0025.jpg

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20150607wa0026.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality mobile pics.
Old 9th June 2015, 23:52   #555
BHPian

Hi Dodge viper.

Even I am contemplating changing the tyres along with rims to alloys in a week or two and incidentally i have zeroed on to the exact same neo alloys as in your car.

Could you please let me know how much the alloys costed you.

Thanks in advance
drritwik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed