Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 13:16   #556
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
Could you please let me know how much the alloys costed you.

Thanks in advance
They cost me about 14500 for set of 4. Very less options in 13 inches sadly.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:14   #557
BHPian

Hi everyone !!
I am posting here after many years.My 2009 I10 just crossed 40k kms and I was thinking of changing the wheel set altogether.So came back to the good old team bhp and read through this thread thoroughly.And in a span of 24 hours I took the plunge with all the necessary information from you guys.It made me understand what I wanted.As time is a constraint I went straight to Lal tyreshop on whites road .Went with an idea to upgrade to 13 alloys and 175/70 michelins.But very few options and the comparatively impressive look of 14 inchers made me decide upon the latter .So finally settled for GTR BBS 14"alloys and 185/60 Michelins.I think the price was on the higher side ,but am not sure.Customer service was average as I was suggested 175/70 for 14 inchers.Have to thank tbhp and you guys !! As I went in for the right combo and it doesn't foul with wheel wells as of now.Ride quality has come down a bit but definitely not improved may be due to 60 side profile.Looks awesome.And road noise has come down only by around say 20% ,again it may be due to wider 185 section.And handling has improved with more planted stance.All these were observed in city traffic only .I guess the true behaviour should come out more in highways.My previous tyres were 155/80 Bridgestones which were the stock ones.
At the dealer level they quoted 39.5k for these combo and after some bargain finalised to 37k.Still feel it's on higher side.Only others should comment .Astonishingly they said to come after 500kms for wheel alignment.I don't understand their reasoning for that .Also they said alloy wheels don't need balancing.So I felt not to press anymore on these dodgy people and I prefer to do it in mrf tyredrome.Also I took back the old set of wheels with me so that I can dispose off somewhere for a better price.So guys please provide your expert comments !!
In this pic,the alloy plus tyre was just mounted on the rear hub but was not fitted,just to privide an opinion when compared to the stock one.Also there was no painting services for the drum and callipers.(Someone please suggest me where it can be done).Overall I wouldn't recommend this shop but as I said earlier due my time constraint took the plunge.Thanks guys for reading this longgg post !!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag1708.jpg  

kums is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 21:21   #558
BHPian

Hello everybody,

Having read the complete topic on i10 tyre upgradation I have come to the

understanding that if I want to upgrade to 175/70 R13 I should ideally upgrade to alloys

as well.

I just want a clarification as to "SHOULD I" or "MUST I" upgrade to alloys also in case

of the said wheel upgradation.

If it is a "SHOULD I" then what are my risks or limitations involved.

My i10 wheels have absolutely worn out and it is imperative that I change the tyres by next week.

Some quick suggestions are most welcome.

Please keep in mind that I have a fair bit of highway drive every once in a while.
Old 10th July 2015, 21:35   #559
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
Having read the complete topic on i10 tyre upgradation I have come to the understanding that if I want to upgrade to 175/70 R13 I should ideally upgrade to alloys as well.

I just want a clarification as to "SHOULD I" or "MUST I" upgrade to alloys...
Hello drritwik!

There is no hard and fast rule that you must or should upgrade to alloys.

You can also use 13" steel rims that are at least 4.5" in width.

In terms of steel wheels, the best match would be the 4.5Jx13 Hyundai OEM steel rims meant for the Accent and some variants of the Getz. You can buy a set of 4 brand new Accent 4.5Jx13 rims for ~ 5k rupees from Hyundai Mobis parts distributors, or Hyundai dealer workshops that sell parts over-the-counter, or from a website like 99rpm.

Alloys are another option - either Hyundai branded ones or after-market alloys. After-market alloys should be cheaper than the ones sold as part of the Hyundai accessory range.

The recommended minimum rim width for 175/70 R13 tyres happens to be 4.5", while the i10's stock steel rims are 4.0Bx13 ones.

Steel or alloy rims with a width of 4.5" ~ 6.0" would do fine for 175/70 R13 tyres.

Alternatively, if you don't want to change the stock steel rims, you can go for high quality, grippy tyres in the stock 155/80 R13 size itself. Although it happens to be comparatively expensive compared to other brands, the Michelin Energy XM2 is one of the best tyres in this particular size.

Last edited by RSR : 10th July 2015 at 21:40.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:48   #560
Senior - BHPian

My i10 (2010, 1.2 Sportz without alloys) also crossed the 40K km milestone, so I am also planning to replace the tyres. Called up the Michelin dealer in Indira Nagar (SLD Tyres - near ESI hospital) who is quoting Rs. 3900 (2% extra for credit card payments) for Michelin 155/80R13. That matches exactly with the existing Bridgestone tyres on my car. Should I go for it? I am driving to Calicut on Friday so would like to have the replacement completed by then.

There is another Michelin dealer near Whitefield on Varthur Road, but I'd like to avoid driving that way on a weekday if possible.

Edit: Missed this post the first time I scanned this thread. So I guess the question is only one of price.

Last edited by binand : 13th July 2015 at 13:50.
Old 13th July 2015, 14:48   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My i10 (2010, 1.2 Sportz without alloys) also crossed the 40K km milestone, so I am also planning to replace the tyres. Called up the Michelin dealer in Indira Nagar (SLD Tyres - near ESI hospital) who is quoting Rs. 3900 (2% extra for credit card payments) for Michelin 155/80R13. That matches exactly with the existing Bridgestone tyres on my car. Should I go for it? I am driving to Calicut on Friday so would like to have the replacement completed by then.

There is another Michelin dealer near Whitefield on Varthur Road, but I'd like to avoid driving that way on a weekday if possible.

Edit: Missed this post the first time I scanned this thread. So I guess the question is only one of price.
Like RSR suggested earlier, they are a tad expensive.

Here in Mumbai, I was quoted 3600 for the B290s and 3750 for the XM2s.(both stock sizes).I also got a total discount of 1000 rupees for my old set.
I wanted a more comfort and noiseless drive so opted for the latter.
If you are happy with the existing brigdestones then continue with them.
In my opinion the extra cost is definitely worth it.
BTW, what is the cost of the brigdestones quoted to you?
Old 13th July 2015, 15:09   #562

Hi all,
Got my i10's 45000km run Michelin XM1 tyres replaced with a new set of Michelin Energy XM2s (155/80/R13) today from Tyrestore at Gream's Road Chennai. I had a tyre blowout couple of days back on ECR(rear right tyre-sidewall damage) and decided to replace new shoes at the earliest. Thank RSR sir for your valuable guidance and all others who contributed to this wonderful thread which helped a great deal in deciding the brand n place to change the tyres.
I would definitely recommend Tyrestore for all your tyre needs. Mr. Deepak from the Tyrestore was very helpful and explained the needful in a detailed and friendly manner. The workers there too were very professional and did a good job. Mr. Deepak even waived the Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing charges when I mentioned about this thread and Team-bhp. Hope this info is helpful for other members too.
Happy Miling all !
Old 25th August 2015, 08:38   #563
BHPian

Hello All,

My i10 Kappa 2009 was running with 175/70/R13 Micheling XM1+ from day one (exchanged the stock tyres first day itself) on Plati alloys. Have been very satisfied with the set. Now after running in for 50K, I am planning to change the tyres this week itself (should have done much earlier ).
Now options I am getting -
1. 175/70/R13 Michelin XM2
2. Hankook
3. Continental
4. Pirelli
Also I felt XM1+ side-walls weren't that strong - could be my opinion only but the grip and performance was very good.
I am not changing the spare tyre right away as it hardly ran for 500 kms in this period.
Please advice on which one to go for - stick with Michelin?
Thanks in advance
Roy
Old 29th August 2015, 10:49   #564
BHPian

Hello All,

In response to my queries above, I have finally changed the car shoes.
Any pointers from Bhpians would have been helpful but I couldn't wait any further.

So I landed up in Indo-Radial Club Bhowanipur, Kolkata and they showed me
1. Michelin XM2
2. Hankook
3. Bridgestone
4. Yokohama Earth

Now though my earlier 50k ride was done using Michelin XM1+, yet the road conditions in Kolkata have deteriorated very much and the soft side-walls of XM2 didn't give me that confidence.
So finally bought Hankook Kinergy Ex for the current running set and retained the XM1+ spare.

Here are the pics of my car with new shoes (pardon the mobile phone image quality)
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20150828220926.jpg

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20150828220935.jpg

Initial feel is very good - seems less bouncy than XM1+, the noise is very less but I guess its too early to predict and conclude.
I will share a feedback after running in few hundred kms.

Thanks,
Roy
redeye10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 19:01   #565
BHPian

After close to 4.7 Yrs of stock bridestones, put in 155/80 Michelin XM2. This is my wife's daily drive, so ride quality was critical. The bridestones had plenty of tread left, but the ride was bouncy.

After using it for a week, completely happy. Superb ride quality. Slightly less bouncy. Totally worth the money.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 20:13   #566
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
So finally bought Hankook Kinergy Ex f/>
What is the price of these tyres? I assume you have gone for 175/70/r13.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:34   #567
BHPian

Hi All,

Need a quick suggestion on what to do with my current i10 tyres.

I own a 2009 i10 and upgraded the stock tyres to XM2 175/70 R13 back in 2012 link to post and the car run has run close to 60k Kms so far (Current ODO is 93k). There is still life left in those tyres. I also changed the stock rims with Hyundai Accent 5J Steel Rims with the wheel caps. The character of the car has changed completely and the grip levels are amazing and the braking is more confident. Was totally happy with the upgrade and its totally completely worth it.

I am looking for a automatic used car to be used as second car in the family and my friend is selling his i10 Auto (2011 model, run for only 13k Kms) and I decided to take it replacing my current i10. I think the stock tyres on this came with 155/70 R13.

Now my question is, should I exchange the rims of my old i10 on this new car and get new shoes when its due? Or should I discard this and continue with the stock tyres that has run for only 13k. Even though the running is low, they are already 5 years old now and I am sure the tires wont last too long before I decide to change them and in that case, either I would be looking to upgrade to alloys with better shoes or go with the same upgrade as I did with my i10, which is getting 5J steel rims and XM2 175/70 R13 tyres.

Another concern with swapping my current i10 rims, the upgraded rims on my i10 are almost 4 years old now and they have been used to the core. One of the wheel balancing guys at Madhu's even told me that there is a bend in one of the rims too. Considering the age and the usage, is it wise to keep them for long?

Need to take decision in a week. Will appreciate any help on this.
Old 21st June 2016, 20:59   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Need to take decision in a week. Will appreciate any help on this.
What do you think about this -
Take the rims and tires from the old car and put them on the new car. Replace the one bent rim with a new one.
You spend only for a new rim right now and you can decide to replace the tires as per their condition at a later date.
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 11:33   #569
BHPian

Hi Guys,

We have a 2010 i10 Sportz, which has just completed 6 years on the stock tyres (155/80/R13 on steel rims). The car has only run about 20,000 kms only but I suppose the rubber is probably at the end of its life.

Need some suggestions in changing the tyres. Not keen on going for alloys or upsizing the steel rims.

1. What are the options available in the stock size? The car is driven mostly by my mom to her workplace & back so upsizing the tyres isn't a priority/concern.
2. If there aren't are good tyre options in the stock size then what is the correct upsize that fits the stock steel rims?

The car is in Kolkata so I suppose Indo-Radial Club would be the best place to buy the tyres.

Inputs are much appreciated!
Old 11th July 2016, 22:51   #570
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Need some suggestions in changing the tyres. Not keen on going for alloys or upsizing the steel rims.

1. What are the options available in the stock size? The car is driven mostly by my mom to her workplace & back so upsizing the tyres isn't a priority/concern.
2. If there aren't are good tyre options in the stock size then what is the correct upsize that fits the stock steel rims?
1. Most manufacturers, both foreign (Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin etc.) and domestic (Apollo, JK, MRF etc.), have 155/80 R13 tyres in their range. So you have plenty of choice in terms of brand.

2. Technically, the correct upsize options with 13" rims are 165/75 R13 and 175/70 R13.

165/75 R13 is a size that's not available in India. At all! So that should be ruled out.

Which leaves 175/70 R13, which in my opinion, is the best upsize option for the i10, and is a better all-round choice than going in for 14" rims (as 14" tyres may affect the ride quality adversely due to their reduced sidewalls).

It's recommended to use 175/70 R13 tyres on rims with a width of at least 4.5" but unfortunately, the stock i10 rims are 4.0Bx13 ones.

If you ask me, I'd say stick with the stock steel rims (considering your primary usage) but go for tyres with excellent grip & braking performance in 155/80 R13 size itself.

My personal recommendation would be the Michelin Energy XM2. XM2s are easily one of the (if not the) best tyres in this particular size of 155/80 R13.

I'm running four XM2s on my i10 now, and they are extremely grippy in both dry & wet conditions, very quiet, add feel to the steering and offer superb braking performance. They're pretty tough in terms of puncture resistance as well.

The ride quality is quite good too, but not as cushy as the super soft compound tyres.

Their main drawback is price. They are costlier than most other tyres in this size (especially compared to the ones from Apollo, MRF etc.) but they're worth every paisa of the difference. Even with her primarily urban usage, your mom would be able to feel the difference in terms of lower noise levels and superior braking performance.

Last edited by RSR : 11th July 2016 at 22:57.

Most Viewed