Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 13:33   #571
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello,

My 2010 i10 was upgraded to 175/70 R13 BS Turanza ER60's on Plati alloys in May 2012, and has subsequently done around 42k. The tyres still have tread enough for city usage, however I am planning to buy a new set shortly due to upcoming long highway drives.

My questions are:

1) How good is the Bridgestone B290 series as compare to the latest Turanza AR20? Since the ER60's have served me very reliably, confused if I should I go for the AR20 or get the B290's and save a few bucks?
2) Any reviews for the Yokohama Earth 1 in this size?
3) What would be an indicative fair price for all three models viz., BS B290, BS Turanza AR20, and Yoko Earth 1?

Pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ramesh
Old 19th July 2016, 15:44   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
1) How good is the Bridgestone B290 series as compare to the latest Turanza AR20? Since the ER60's have served me very reliably, confused if I should I go for the AR20 or get the B290's and save a few bucks?
2) Any reviews for the Yokohama Earth 1 in this size?
3) What would be an indicative fair price for all three models viz., BS B290, BS Turanza AR20, and Yoko Earth 1?
Team, responses please!!!
Old 20th July 2016, 21:19   #573
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Team, responses please!!!
I guess Bridgestone's Turanza AR-20 should be a better overall choice than their B290. The B290 is a replacement for the older B250 (which was the stock tyre on many i10s).

B250 is a relatively hard compound tyre (like Bridgestone's other B & S series) and was a competitor to similar hard tyres from the likes of MRF. Yes, they're very tough and fairly puncture/damage resistant, but are average in most other parameters.

B290 should be a definite improvement over the older B250, but I don't believe they can prove to be a match for the AR-20. The Turanzas should be worth the price difference.

Yokohama Earth-1 has also got some good reviews on the forum.

Last edited by RSR : 20th July 2016 at 21:36.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:50   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Yokohama Earth-1 has also got some good reviews on the forum.
Finally went with the Yokos, total cost came to Rs.4050/- per tyre, including WA/WB, new wheel caps and after Rs.800/- for the old set of tyres.

Have done about 100 kms on the new tyres, and so far seems a good choice. Cornering ability is a tad better than the Bridgestones I feel.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:28   #575
BHPian

Namaskaram,
I have a 2013 model i10, for which I intend to upgrade my tyres from the stock size, looking at this thread i find the bridgestone Turanza AR20 175/70 R13 to be a good option, i have used bridgestones in the past and I beleive my stock tyres even now are Bridgestones
So is it a good choice ?

Secondly, should I also opt for alloys or will the existing rims be able to accomodate these tyres?
if I do go for alloys will there be any noticeable benefit ?

My primary requirement is better good grip and a comfortable ride

Suggestions are welcome

Last edited by shridhar.s.i : 5th August 2016 at 09:44. Reason: added tyre size
Old 5th August 2016, 10:53   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
So is it a good choice ? Secondly, should I also opt for alloys or will the existing rims be able to accomodate these tyres? if I do go for alloys will there be any noticeable benefit ?
Stock rims are not recommended for upgrade to 175/70, this is already mentioned many times in this thread itself.

Having run around 43k on Turanza ER60's on my i10, I would highly recommend Turanzas, they are very durable and gives comfortable ride, though tend to get noisy post 15k kms. Not a single instance of puncture for those 43k kms either. AR20's are the latest series, so you should ask for those.

Alternatively would also suggest Yoko Earth 1's, which I have recently switched to. Good grip, very quiet, marginally better handling than the Turanzas, and value for money too. Cost me 4050/- to a tyre including WA/WB, and after some nominal value for my old tyres. This is in Pondicherry.

Last edited by Pequod : 5th August 2016 at 11:03. Reason: corrected tyre series number
Old 7th September 2016, 21:29   #577
BHPian

Hey Guys!
Need help with a very peculiar and head scratching problem!!

I had replaced all 5 of my tyres sometime around May last year with Michelin XM2s. They have run almost 10k kms.

One tyre, loses almost half the pressure in 2-3 days. My local puncture repair guy has tried multiple times to find the leak but in vain. To eliminate possible causes, I told him to replace the valve pin first.
After the same thing reoccurred, I told him to replace the valve stem including a new pin. Still no solution.Next he checked the join between the tyre and the rim on both sides with soapy water. Still no answer. There is one puncture in the tread but that also isn't leaking.

The peculiar thing is, no matter where the tyre is fitted it's that one tyre that loses pressure so I believe no one is purposely playing with the valve pin.
I experimented by replacing each corner with the suspect tyre since my father suspected the people near my office area were deflating the tyre because the parking space was reserved. (There are various transport companies around and they say their lorry is coming etc etc.)

Any suggestions regarding how to proceed ??

Thanks!!

Last edited by hrbheda : 7th September 2016 at 21:30.
Old 8th September 2016, 08:39   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
One tyre, loses almost half the pressure in 2-3 days.
Few things that can be tried,
Dismount tyre from rim & inspect rim for any damage/rust. While mounting tyre, confirm that beading locks with a firm loud sound. You have already confirmed no leakage via soapy water, but still.
Valve stem: Replace with a new one & check bonding of valve with rim. If needed, use glue/sealant.

Try this at a known tyre shop than at puncture repair shop.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:54   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
Any suggestions regarding how to proceed ??

Thanks!!
I had similar problems and replacing the valve stem took care of the issue.
Get it done from a good tire place like MRF tireworld or the likes.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 10:37   #580
BHPian

tyres for low running ?

Hi,

i am planning to change tyres for my 2008 i10, current are stock Bridgestone tyres and has done 26k
i will buy accent rims and will be upgrading to 175/70 R13

as my running is low, not sure which tyre to go for.based on different threads in forum i have shortlisted following options

- Yokohama Earth-1
- Apollo Acelere
- Michelin XM2

any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
Old 21st September 2016, 14:08   #581
BHPian

Re: tyres for low running ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post

any suggestions ?
You may look at BS Turanza AR series as well. Though a little noisy on the highways, I have had no problems with them on my i10. Have been using it for a while and have clocked close to 20K without any major issues. Pretty happy with the overall stuff.

Hope it helps.

R-Six
Old 6th October 2016, 17:17   #582
BHPian

Quote:

as my running is low, not sure which tyre to go for.
Thanks in advance,
For low running, the recommendation from tyre dealers as well as friends in our forum is to go for medium to hard compound tyres. You can check out Bridgestone B250/ B290.

I also have low running but have switched to Michelin XM2 recently for my i10 after reading all the reviews.
Old 6th October 2016, 18:09   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I also have low running but have switched to Michelin XM2 recently for my i10 after reading all the reviews.
did you upgrade ?

if not then how is XM2 in compared to stock size Bridgestone/MRF ?
Old 7th October 2016, 08:20   #584
BHPian

Quote:
did you upgrade ?

if not then how is XM2 in compared to stock size Bridgestone/MRF ?
No. I did not upgrade. I recently shifted to XM2 from Bridgestone B250 155/80 R13 (OEM ones) and it is too early to judge the performance. Initial impression - noise has reduced, braking has improved, ride seems to be smooth but I get a feeling that I need to push the accelerator more (this may be due to better grip). Note: The comparison is with 6 year old B250 which might have hardened.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 13:34   #585
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'm running 4 Michelin Energy XM2s (155/80 R13) on my i10 for a while now, having switched over from the stock Bridgestone B250s after they got worn out (the spare is still a B250).

The XM2 is in a different league compared to the B250. The reduction in noise level is huge, the ride quality is better, grip has improved significantly and braking has improved by leaps & bounds.

Even when the stock B250s had good tread left in them, the wheels would lock up on eager braking on slippery surfaces, making me greatly rue the absence of ABS. With the XM2s, I'm happy to state that the wheels don't lock up in situations where the B250s would be sliding all over the place. I don't feel the absence of ABS in normal driving conditions now (though it would certainly be better to have this safety feature).

As far as negatives are concerned, while the ride quality is good, it isn't as cushy as the super-soft tyres. XM2 is a soft compound tyre, no doubt. But Michelin have strengthened the sidewalls for India, and this may be the reason for its less cushy ride than tyres with softer sidewalls.

Another downside of the XM2 is its price. It's among the most expensive in this size of 155/80 R13. However, I feel it's worth every paisa of the additional cost, considering its quality.

To be fair to Bridgestone in this comparison, the B250 is an old pattern belonging to their B & S series of hard compound tyres, so the B250 would not be as good as their own Turanzas. Also, the B250 has been replaced by the B290, which should be an all-round improvement over its predecessor.

Last edited by RSR : 7th October 2016 at 13:40.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks