Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 20:21   #601
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguru4ever View Post

Now the dilemma shift to tyres. Any suggestion on what tyres? I was hell bent on Michelins, but now slipping towards Yokos. Heard that Michelins use a softer rubber compound and are prone to punctures. And Yokos are at par with Michelins, but use a bit harder rubber compound. What's your take on this?
I don't have much personal experience with Yokohamas, so I can't comment on their characteristics.

I'm currently running four Michelin Energy XM2s in the stock size of 155/80 R13. These are excellent tyres! The braking performance, cornering grip and tyre noise are all tremendous improvements over the Bridgestone B250s (that the car was originally shod with). The steering feel has also improved perceptibly, although the size remains the same as before.

There are only two not-so-good things about the XM2. One is its price, which is among the (if not the) most expensive in the sizes it's available in. But this is a quality tyre, so it's worth every paisa.

Another thing is that the XM2 is a soft compound tyre with toughened sidewalls. While it retains all the advantages of soft compound tyres, the toughened sidewalls take away some of the "cushiness" that soft compound tyres are generally associated with.

While I find the ride quality on the XM2s to be definitely better than that on the B250s (& other known hard compound tyres), it's not as soft as one would expect of a soft compound tyre, either. This is solely due to Michelin toughening the sidewalls to make them less susceptible to damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Currently I am using Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 175/70R13, will stick to the same size. Ride comfort and braking/grip are high on the requirements. What is the current favourite?
The XM2 is a brilliant tyre, Samurai-san, and I'd gladly recommend it despite the cost factor. It's very good on all parameters. I find braking (especially) with the XM2s to be extremely reassuring, more so as our i10 doesn't have ABS.

The ride quality isn't bad by any means, but it isn't as cushy (particularly at low to medium speeds) as some of the other soft compound tyres out there.

Last edited by RSR : 30th January 2017 at 20:40.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:55   #602
BHPian

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Have been busy with some personal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yokos from day 1, except the time it took to get the car from showroom to tire store, when I was on 155/80R13 Bridgestones.
Thanks for the feedback on Yokos. I'll compare them with Michelins before taking a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I don't have much personal experience with Yokohamas, so I can't comment on their characteristics.
Thanks for the feedback on Michelins. I'll be taking a decision on tyres and alloys next week. Some personal issues have kept me away from upgrading the wheels.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd February 2017 at 23:44. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 5th February 2017, 01:06   #603
BHPian

Quote:
By going bad I mean the car literally feels like a train with all that wobbling at speeds upto 40 or 50 kmph. And also the ride quality and tyre noise is getting unbearable.

Now I have following options and need help in deciding onto one -

1. Keep stock tyres for now, and get suspension checked and faulty parts repaired/replaced. Got a brief inspection done from two different Hyundai ASS (Joshi Hyundai and Charisma Hyundai) and both have different opinions. The SA at Joshi, after a test drive, says that the front suspension and steering arm (don't remember what he called it exactly) are gone and need replacement, and caused the tyre damage. The SA and mechanic at Charisma, tell a different story. They say that suspension are fine, but left front tyre has uneven tread wear on the inner edge. He even asked me to feel the inner side tread and there were depressions at some places, which explains the wobbling. He swapped the front left tyre with the right one at the rear and now the wobbling has shifted to the rear of the car. What could be causing those depressions on the inner edge of the tyres? And shall I move the inner edge of the tyre to outside, as their mechanic suggested, to balance out that uneven wear. Also, he pointed that the dead axle at rear might also be the culprit here, but wasn't sure.

Please help me out here, as I am really nervous of taking my car to high speeds for now and sticking to 60-70 kmph (max).

Regards.
Hi. I am from Chandigarh too and currently a bit relieved to see that I am not the only one going through this wobbling issue.

I had initially thought it was a suspension problem (got 1 changed under warranty due to cylinder leakage) but a quick inspection at Joshi Hyundai, Mohali (one reason why I prefer Hyundai ) negated this fact. The feedback received from the SA was that the wobbling occurs (when the car is at a constant speed of 40-50 kmph, feels like a rocking boat) due to uneven tread surface. Got my car checked up with my trusted mechanic and he came out with a more or less equivalent conclusion.

Will post snaps of the tires in the morning. Hope fellow members here can shed light on condition of the treads. I have little idea how much longer they will last. I am currently running on stock tires only.
Old 5th February 2017, 21:55   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Hi. I am from Chandigarh too and currently a bit relieved to see that I am not the only one going through this wobbling issue.
Hey there. Very few BHPians from Chandigarh or those whom I've come across. And yes, this wobbling issue seems to be a common problem than I'd thought.

Quote:
I had initially thought it was a suspension problem (got 1 changed under warranty due to cylinder leakage) but a quick inspection at Joshi Hyundai, Mohali (one reason why I prefer Hyundai ) negated this fact. The feedback received from the SA was that the wobbling occurs (when the car is at a constant speed of 40-50 kmph, feels like a rocking boat) due to uneven tread surface. Got my car checked up with my trusted mechanic and he came out with a more or less equivalent conclusion.
I had the same thought initially. But my experience was different than yours at Joshi Hyundai. They said that the steering arm and front left suspension were at fault here. But I was somehow not convinced and took it up for a second opinion at Charisma, who said that suspension was fine, but it was just the tyre. Now the most common reason for uneven tread wear is suspension or bad alignment. And I feel in my case it's the second. Will be getting suspension checked at another HASS or an independent mechanic to verify it.

Sorry to say, but as RSR pointed out changing the tyre(s) is the only option left to fix the wobbling. Getting mine replaced possibly next week, but after getting the suspension checked.

Quote:
Will post snaps of the tires in the morning. Hope fellow members here can shed light on condition of the treads. I have little idea how much longer they will last. I am currently running on stock tires only.
I was thinking about putting some pics of the tyres too, but RSR pointed out that there was sine wave pattern like wear on one of his tyres, which is there on the inner edge in the faulty tyre in my car too. That made it clear that the tyre was bad. And yes, fellow members can surely point out something out of the ordinary, which might have been missed.

Which side of the car (front or rear, left or right) does this wobbling happen? Can you try making this out when your car is at the mentioned speed? Mine was at the front left initially, but when the mechanic at Charisma Hyundai, moved that tyre from front left to right rear, the wobbling magically switched from front to rear.

Also, if possible, can you feel the inner and outer edges of the tyres to check if there are some wave like depressions in it? This would not be clear from pics, but can help in analyzing the issue.

Regards.
Old 11th February 2017, 08:42   #605
BHPian

Quote:

1. Sorry to say, but as RSR pointed out changing the tyre(s) is the only option left to fix the wobbling. Getting mine replaced possibly next week, but after getting the suspension checked.

2. Which side of the car (front or rear, left or right) does this wobbling happen? Can you try making this out when your car is at the mentioned speed?

3. Also, if possible, can you feel the inner and outer edges of the tires to check if there are some wave like depressions in it? This would not be clear from pics, but can help in analyzing the issue.
1. Do inform which tires do you go in for. I am also planning to get alloys added but am not sure whether to go in for Apollo or Bridgestone AND alter the tire size/tread/wall height.

2. The wobbling happens at the front end. And yes, this wobbling can be observed on demand by keeping the speed constant. Occurs usually around the 1500 RPM mark too. Wonder if it is actually a tire problem or some engine mounting issue.

3. Checked the tread out. No such undulations found, though the tires seem ready to expire any time. ODO reading is 27600 so max 2-3k kms more and they are done. Adding pics for reference.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0237.jpg
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0235.jpg
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0234.jpg
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0238.jpg
Old 24th April 2017, 20:14   #606

Torn between BS 250 & 290. Need to understand the basic difference between the two. My i10 came with 250s and loved their performance. Although my last set is a Michelin xm2 which are nearing the end of their life. Clocked 60k on the odo with the michelins. Want to go back to either 250 or 290. Btw the BS 250s clocked a similar mileage. No issues to report for the XM2 as such but feel the braking and handling was even better with BS.

Please help in understanding the difference between 250 and 290 and which one out of the two would you recommend.

Thank you in advance!
Old 24th April 2017, 22:03   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panesar7 View Post
Please help in understanding the difference between 250 and 290 and which one out of the two would you recommend.
Though I don't have much technical data to provide, quoting from this thread
Quote:
The B290 has a square tyre profile to the traditional rounded outer sidewall. The company says that this provides a better contact area where the tread touches the road. Other benefits of this profile are minimized shoulder wear and fewer tyre deformations.

The company promises increased tyre life of 10 per cent over its predecessor and also better handling and braking in dry and wet conditions than its existing B250 range that this product is eventually going to replace. The B290 will soon replace the B250 in the replacement tyre market although the company will not pull out the latter completely. OEM commitments for the B250 will continue for over a year more following which the B250 will be phased out.
Old 25th April 2017, 19:32   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Though I don't have much technical data to provide, quoting from this thread
Thank you! It makes sense as well since B250s are an older model and it only seems logical that B290 is a newer version and an improvement over B250s.
Old 28th July 2018, 08:35   #609
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This is for a friend who has a 2010/11 i10 Sportz (auto).
Tyres are stock Apollo Acelere 155/80R13 on Steel rims.

The car is primarily used inside the city as a second car for short runs/errands.

After reading posts on this thread, I think the Michelin Energy XM2 155/80R13 will be a good bet. Let me know if there are any other good tyres to compare/contrast for this car's usage.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2018 at 22:02. Reason: As requested
Old 29th July 2018, 11:10   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
0This is for a friend who has a 2010/11 i10 Sportz (auto).
Tyres are stock Apollo Acelere 155/80R13 on Steel rims.

The car is primarily used inside the city as a second car for short runs/errands.

After reading posts on this thread, I think the Michelin Energy XM2 155/80R13 will be a good bet. Let me know if there are any other good tyres to compare/contrast for this car's usage.
I have 2011 i10 (asta/manual). I changed from stock Apollo to Yoko to XM2. Very happy with the ride quality of the XM2. I have upsized with alloy though. But I think 155/80R13 with stock rims will be as comfortable.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 03:07   #611

My i10 era is currently running on Yoko Earth1. Very good tyres for both city/urban or highway runs. However, nothing beats the performance in braking+handling & durability of a Bridgestone B250 which were the stock tyres that came with the car. Tried Michelin XM2 as well, they were good too, but not as good.

So if I have to rate the tyres I've tried in my i10:
1. Bridgestone B250
2. Michelin XM2
3. Yokohama Earth1

Haven't had the guts to try Goodyears or other Indian brands. Past experiences with other cars have not been good. Will swear by Bridgestones for every car.

Cheers!
Old 9th November 2018, 08:18   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
I have 2011 i10 (asta/manual). I changed from stock Apollo to Yoko to XM2. Very happy with the ride quality of the XM2. I have upsized with alloy though. But I think 155/80R13 with stock rims will be as comfortable.

May I know what is the size and width of the alloys used and also the tyre size used? Mine is a 2011 model and planning to keep him for another 3 or 4years. So planning to upsize it for better grip and braking.

Also does anyone modified the suspension of i10 to give it more stability in the corners? Right now I feel like am in a roller when I go in corners.
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:15   #613
BHPian

A quick update. So my i10 recently went for a full service and had the suspension and steering box overhaul. So I have upgraded my steel wheels to alloy wheels and upsize my tyres. The alloy wheel size is the same 13inch. Tyres I went with Michelin XM2 with 175 width tyres and felt a remarkable change in the way the car drives now. Haven't faced any issues of tyres touching the sidewall. Will post a pic of the same.

Below is the new sets of alloy and rubber. The car is 8.5yrs old with 77k on the odo.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-unnamed.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 22nd January 2019 at 12:05. Reason: back to back posts merged
saratjyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 09:58   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post
Below is the new sets of alloy and rubber. The car is 8.5yrs old with 77k on the odo.
Brilliant looking alloys there mate, managing to look good for such a small size.
I've got a 2013 i10 and I'm in the mood to change the stock steel wheels to alloys too. Can you share the cost aspect of the wheel+tyre upgrade?
Old 16th April 2020, 19:21   #615
BHPian

It costed 34k together for the wheels and tyres. Sold the old wheel with tyres for 4k. So 30k expense for the upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks