Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:15   #646
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
Hi guys i just replaced the stock rims and tyres on my i10 with
Pirelli 175/65 R14 and they are just too good. Fits in perfectly, road grip is excellent also they arent noisy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharomeo View Post
Hi,
I upgraded my shoes today @ Sai Iyengar Tyres (Indira Nagar).
I got the Yokohama Earth 175/65R14 on to my i10 magna.
It feels really good and handling has improved a lot and steering is responsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaish9925 View Post
Hello everyone.
Our 2009 Hyundai i10 Magna has completed 76k kilometres and is due for tyre change. Recently got hold of 4 nos. of Maruti Suzuki Swift steel rims. We did fit 175/65/14 rubber and checked for scrapping related issues. Thankfully, even during a full turn, there was no scrapping. I intend to change the steel rims to Hyundai's 14" inch alloys when available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I had got 14 inch i20 alloys with Pirelli 175/65 R14 in 2014.
Hi all,
As I said in my previous post, I am in search of new tyres for my i10.
Currently running on i20 alloys with 185/60-R14 from past 55k kms.

Plan was to go ahead with same size.
But to my bad luck, the production of 185/60s has been stopped completely from all branded manufacturers.

So now I am struck with going with old stocks in 185s or shift to 175/65-R14.

185s was a perfect match in diameter compared to stock 155/80-R13. While 175/65s increases overall diameter by 6mm. And few say it scrapes inner wells. While few are saying it fits fine without any issues.

So kindly suggest/give feedback, if you guys have been using or have used earlier, the size 175-65/R14.
Hope 175s doesn't cause any issues. Your inputs will be much helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Chandan
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:44   #647
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

So, as evident in my earlier post on this thread, I'd been looking to upgrade my car's tires for a while as it was long overdue. It was running on stock tires and although they had only done very low mileage and thus retained tread, they were pretty old now and I didn't want to risk a blowout.

There was much confusion with regards to which exact size I should go for (13" or 14") and after studying the thread I had pretty much decided to go for 185/60-14"s.

Now the dilemma was whether to go for alloys or steel rims. Since I preferred to go for 14inchers, I had to rid the stock wheels and get new sets anyway.

Steel wheels were being considered owing to

- Terrible road conditions
- Cheaper prices
- Another important factor was that steel wheels available were mostly made by OEM brands therefore some assurance of quality can be had whereas the alloy market is flooded with fakes and unknown brands.

Alloy wheels on the other hand could aid

- Weight reduction and thus probably nudge the fuel efficiency and acceleration figures up a little bit.
- Aesthetics, regardless of the fact that I wasn't able to find any designs that actually pleased me until that point.
- Optimal use of the wider profile of the tyres (since 185 sections would be best when used with 5.5 or 6J rim widths and most 14" steel wheels were 5J)

Tyre choice

Goodyear - Preferred (Read: pushed) by local Hyundai dealership. Readily available and cheaper than the other options.
Bridgestone - Didn't have the required size in any series in stock anywhere.
Continental - Did visit the dealer who was also the nearest, two or three times and everytime he promised to get back with details on the CC5 model from the godown as they didn't have stock in-store, but never did.
Yokohama - I was looking for the Earth1 series, but again, required size was hard to find. But they had just received a June 2022-lot of the S-Drive series in the required size. Sportier than needed and pricier.

Final choice - Yokohama S-Drive 185/60 - 14

Meanwhile, the wheel hunt was getting frustrating as I was trying to get i20 steel wheels and wanted to confirm the rim size but even after visiting 3 different Hyundai Spares dealers, they were of no help. Some of them hadn't heard of rim sizes in their lives! Some of them didn't know what a wheel rim was (the common usage is wheel-disc, apparently)!! Visiting other spare parts dealers didn't prove much fruitful either so I decided to go the used-parts route. That is how I came to know that most 14 inch wheels are 5J or less (Hyundai, Maruti, Toyota) and very rarely can even a 5.5J be found (Ford probably has, but I think their offset/hub measurements differ.).

That is also how I came across some used 1st-gen i20 alloys sitting in a corner in such a shop. This is a simple but elegant design in my eyes and other than some paint chipping there weren't much visible issues on this particular set considering how old it could be. They also let me take it and inspect it at the wheel shop and they too didn't find anything apparent. So I bought them and took it straight to a friend who was opening a painting-detailing shop later that month. Went for a simple glossy black finish.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20220714_112229197.jpg

After 500kms

Now that I've done some few hundred kms in this new setup, I find that
- The acceleration is noticeably better. Maybe not a huge statistic difference but noticeable, nonetheless.
- Fuel efficiency differences if any are negligible. Isn't less than before anyway.
- Ride quality overall has improved along with dry and wet grips.
- There is no scraping issue etc even on full lock.
- The bolts that came with the stock setup were fouling with the hub-covers on the alloy set, so had to get different ones.
- It looks a lot better than stock.

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20220817_1833411442.jpg

My thoughts overall - Should have done this earlier!
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:03   #648

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dear BHPians,
I am planning to get new tyres for my Hyundai i10 nios Sport Petrol Manual, July 2020
Car came with company fitted Ceat fuelsmart 165/70 R14 tyres, which I didn't bother changing at the time. Now that they have ran out of their allotted 40'000 km, majority of which was on Solapur Chitradurgada highway and state highways, I am in need of new set of tyres.
I was almost certain until recently about same size Bridgestone tyres. But I recently got bit by the "wheel up size" bug, I have to scratch that itch. I was thinking maybe I should go for 185/70R14 in Bridgestone or Yokohama. I am not sure if those Brands have the said size.
Kindly comment weather it is feasible for the said upgrade, or should I stay with the stock size
Old 22nd August 2022, 17:50   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple patch View Post
I was almost certain until recently about same size Bridgestone tyres. But I recently got bit by the "wheel up size" bug, I have to scratch that itch. I was thinking maybe I should go for 185/70R14 in Bridgestone or Yokohama. I am not sure if those Brands have the said size.
Kindly comment weather it is feasible for the said upgrade, or should I stay with the stock size
Hello

185/70R14 increases your wheel diameter by around 5%, which is way beyond the recommended 3~3.5%. I would suggest that you go for 175/70R14 which would increase the diameter by ~2.5%.

In this size apart from BS and Yokohama, have a look at the Continental UC6, BHPians swear by it and this is a tyre which comes in a wide range of sizes from 14 inch to 18 inch, you just need to check the Alloy Wheel/Tyre Upgrade section to see the number of BHPians who have reviewed it.

In Bridgestone the only option for this size is the B250, and in Yokohama, you can choose between the high mileage, but hard wearing, noisier and reduced comfort tyres - the Earth 1 - or you can go for the low noise and comfort focused BluEarth GT which would give a lower mileage in comparison to the Earth 1s.
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:17   #650
BHPian

I just upgraded my i10 to 185/60 - 14 and that would be a good size for the i10 Nios too.

I was also looking for the Earth1 but got S-Drive instead.

Details here - (Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)."
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:27   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
I just upgraded my i10 to 185/60 - 14 and that would be a good size for the i10 Nios too.
No it wouldn’t - yours is the previous-gen grand i10 in which the stock size was 165/65R14, which means 185/60R14 was an appropriate upgrade.

For the Nios, the stock size is 165/70R14, which means that the 185/60R14 is smaller in diameter compared to the stock size by 9mm, which means it would lower the ground clearance of the Nios by 4.5 mm, which is not recommended.

@Purple Patch - if you are particular about wanting to go for 185 section tyres, go for 185/65R14. The Continental UC6 is available on this size as well, but the Yokohama BluEarth is not - only the Earth 1 is available. For Bridgestone the only choice is the B290.

Would still recommend that whichever size you go for - whether 175/70R14 or 185/65R14 - go for the Conti UC6
Old 24th August 2022, 00:06   #652

Briefly analysing all your esteemed opinions, I have come to the conclusion to stick with the stock size. Reason being, Nios may not be the best car to experiment on especially since I am planning to keep it for a long time. Continental not available in Hospet, will go with Yokohama soft tyres. I don't mind paying a few bucks extra, if I get that extra comfort while on the wheel. I usually drive 200 kms on the trot. Might upgrade the car soon��. Fingers crossed.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:29   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Continental not available in Hospet, will go with Yokohama soft tyres. I don't mind paying a few bucks extra, if I get that extra comfort while on the wheel. I usually drive 200 kms on the trot. Might upgrade the car soon��. Fingers crossed.
Hello - Yokohama only offers Earth 1 in the stock size which is a harder wearing tyre. Your options for comfort oriented tyres are BS B290 and Conti CC6
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 09:45   #654

Hello everyone. Coming here with an update. Got new tyres for nios. Bridgestone B 290 of size 165/70R14, which is the stock size. Its been more than a month, and after 3000 km, very happy with the wet grip on Highways and in rough rural roads.
One complaint is, they are very noisy. Is it normal for the new tyres?
Old 4th October 2022, 11:07   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. Coming here with an update. Got new tyres for nios. Bridgestone B 290 of size 165/70R14, which is the stock size. Its been more than a month, and after 3000 km, very happy with the wet grip on Highways and in rough rural roads.
One complaint is, they are very noisy. Is it normal for the new tyres?
Ideally should not be! B290s are known to be comfort oriented. How is the comfort and bump absorption on potholes and bad roads?
Old 4th October 2022, 11:19   #656

Comfort is excellent. Its just the noise
Old 26th November 2022, 15:09   #657

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my tyres on i10 Grand. Currently running stock 165/65/14s that have done 50K and though have some tread left they are bone dry and cracking!

I am happy to pick up stock tyres if anyone is upsizing on a new delivery ex-showroom!

Car is in Delhi NCR so, requesting to please ping me here and I'll show up at your upgrade location! Needless to mention Ill pay more than the exchange

Thanks in advance
Old 1st December 2022, 12:10   #658
BHPian

Hi All ,

I have Grandi10 which has stock tyres , Good Year 165/65 R 14. I want to change them now , the dealer is recommending me Good Year 165/70 R14 , can anyone tell me how will that benefit me , cost difference is around Rs. 700 ( per unit ) more for the 165/70 R14.
Old 9th December 2022, 11:32   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Comfort is excellent. Its just the noise
How’s the comfort compared to the Fuel smart stock tyres?

My car has just done 19k kms but am looking to experiment with new tyres. I feel these stock ones are hard and want to go for some comfort oriented options. Also is it better to stick with 165/70 or change?

Most Viewed