Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 26th February 2018, 17:11   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I have completed about 4000 kms now. Just got back from a road trip to the Himalayas. No issues at all. The tyres are quiet. The grip seems good and they still look new. Keep in mind though that I am a very careful driver. I never speed, take hard corners or push the vehicle in any way. Still I don't think the Kendas are any less than other brands for normal driving.
Thanks Laborgis,That was quick .I'm being quoted 4450/tyre here in Coimbatore.How much did you get them for and any warranty offered?The Santro that i bought came with them back in 2008 and i thought they were good. Kenda must be like Taiwan's Apollo/MRF i guess...
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 21:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Thanks Laborgis,That was quick .I'm being quoted 4450/tyre here in Coimbatore.How much did you get them for and any warranty offered?The Santro that i bought came with them back in 2008 and i thought they were good. Kenda must be like Taiwan's Apollo/MRF i guess...
I paid Rs 3800 per tyre. Keep in mind the Passat tyres are larger and thus more expensive.
No warranty was offered. The shop manager clearly stated that there will be no bill or warranty provided on "Chinese " tyres. I wasn't too worried as the cost was less than half compared to other brands. In any case trye warranties are totally useless anyway. I was pressured to accept other less established brands instead of Kenda but I refused as Kenda was an old and established Taiwanese company.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 22:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

I am running 175/65 R14 Kenda Komet tyres in my Grand I10. No issues till date. The tyres are nothing great to write about, but it is really VFM. I got it for around Rs. 2000 from Snapdeal. This was 2 years back. I was running on Bridgestone tyres before, it costs double. But there was sidewall bubble and the tyre company engineer had refused to replace under warranty. Kenda was also driven same way on same roads and no side wall bubbles like Bridgestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180228_222902.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 28th February 2018 at 22:36.
Dr.Naren is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 11:59   #64
BHPian

Finally got a pair of these tyres 6 months back and have completed 2000 KM on them.

The feedback is quite good and way better than the stock MRF. Good grip in dry and wet plus quite silent as well.

I got them for 2600/ piece which is 60% of what other brands cost. They are definitely not some cheap Chinese brand with questionable quality. Contrarily, they are much better than the likes of MRF and JK.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2018, 21:37   #65
BHPian

Hi all

I am thinking of getting these Kenda brand tyres for my recent buy - a pre-worshipped Polo GT TSI. It's used as a second car primarily inside the city and it's driven sedately. Since these tyres are priced very competitively and fellow members here have given good feedback about them, thinking of giving them a shot.

I'm looking at the Komet Plus KR23 in the size 195/60/R15. Are they available in this size? If yes, what would be the cost per tyre?

Regards
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2018, 21:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Finally got a pair of these tyres 6 months back and have completed 2000 KM on them.

The feedback is quite good and way better than the stock MRF. Good grip in dry and wet plus quite silent as well.

I got them for 2600/ piece which is 60% of what other brands cost. They are definitely not some cheap Chinese brand with questionable quality. Contrarily, they are much better than the likes of MRF and JK.
Quoting myself for an update.

Major con : Looses grip at the slightest hint of sand or gravel to the point where getting from unpaved area to the road causes wheelspin.

Thankfully had purchased only 2 tyres. I am planning to buy 2 new tyres and put the Kendall on the rear.

Not recommended. I realized this only when I went on a roadtrip.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 15:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully had purchased only 2 tyres. I am planning to buy 2 new tyres and put the Kendall on the rear.
If you're grip hungry and the tyres are already failing you, putting them at the back will only make things worse, especially during monsoons.

Suggestion would be to trade them off and buy 4 new 'good' tyres, which is the best thing to do any day. I would not risk the Kendas at the rear for sure.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:46   #68
BHPian

Hi all

I finally managed to get a set of these Kenda Komet Tyres.

The pre-worshiped Polo GT TSI that we bought a few months back needed a new set of tyres as the ones that came with it were at the end of life. The car came with mix and match tyres - 1 yoko and 1 good year at the front and 2 good years at the rear.

I started calling up tyre shops around my area and only one of them had Kendas but they did not have the size I wanted in stock (195/60 R15). Searched Amazon, Flipkart, PayTM mall and snapdeal and had no luck there either

I searched around in the classifieds site and managed to find a dealer in Delhi and he had the correct size I wanted. Only problem was I had to transfer the amt in advance - so there was a trust issue, but he sent contact info of two of his customers from my state - I called them up and verified the dealer was legitimate.

I sent over the amount by NEFT and the tyres arrived after 1 week at my doorstep (transporter was Rivigo Logistics - cool thing I noticed was that when tracking on their website, it shows periodic real time location of where the transport tuck is - e.g. 3 KM from Salem etc)

All the tyres had manufacturing date "1217" on them - 12th week of 2017

Had them installed at a tyre shop near me and have driven them for around 35 KM now. First Impressions are positive:

- the suspension seems to tackle bad roads better now - I can definitely feel a "cushioning" effect when going over large potholes. Maybe because of the increased tyre profile.

- Tyre noise has reduced.

- Steering feels a tad lighter than before. I'm not sure if this is because of the tyre or due to the alignment carried out.

No idea on wet weather performance as it's blazing hot in Cochin right now.

Since this car is driven sedately mostly in the city by my dad - I cannot comment on the performance of these tyres under spirited driving.

Here is the cost breakup:

4 Tyres (KR23 195/60 R15) @ 3,300 each - 13,200
Transport Charge - 1,186
Tyre fitment, wheel balancing & alignment, Nitrogen filling - 1000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total - 15,386
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So roughly Rs. 3,850 / tyre - not bad I think.

Here is the website of the dealer I purchased from:

LINK

Sharing some pictures:

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180923_093829.jpg

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180923_094730.jpg

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180923_094809.jpg

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180923_094750.jpg

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-img_20180923_093922.jpg

A baffling thing I encountered was that these tyres had ISI mark on them! Forgot to capture it on camera before fitment (they are now on the inner side of the wheel), but here is a screen grab from a YouTube video:

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread-untitled.jpg

Source (3:34 mark):

Will try to give updates on wet weather performance and extended usage.

Regards

Last edited by Games Goblin : 23rd September 2018 at 10:56. Reason: forgot to mention tyre size
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post

All the tyres had manufacturing date "1217" on them - 12th week of 2017

Regards
Is it not too old, 1 and half years ?
I hope the price you were quoted more than makes up for the age of the tyres.

How much would newer tyres cost? Any estimate? Might help others.
srs_shetty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_shetty87 View Post
Is it not too old, 1 and half years ?
I hope the price you were quoted more than makes up for the age of the tyres.
Hi

12th week of 2017 means these were manufactured around end of March 2017 - so they are around 1.5 years old. I read online that ideal time to replace a tyre is around 6 year mark (if tread has not gone by then), these have around 4.5 years of usable life left (1.5 years gone by sitting on the shelf) if their treads are not worn out by then.

For the price I got them for, I am okay with that. I did ask the seller what the manufacturing dates are and the reply was "between 2017-2018"

Quote:
By newer tyres did you mean tyres from regular brands or Kendas with a newer manufacturing date?

Regards
Old 25th September 2018, 22:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:

I read online that ideal time to replace a tyre is around 6 year mark.
In the UAE, we are supposed to replace tyres every 4 years irrespective of the tread wear. In fact, post 3 years for a new car, if the tread wear/ condition is found to be unsatisfactory, the car will fail the mandatory yearly inspection.
I replaced my Dunlops just recently, with good tread left in them because i observed very small cracks appearing.
Even in Mumbai, I changed the tyres on my cars in about 4 years due to cracks appearing.

Quote:
By newer tyres did you mean tyres from regular brands or Kendas with a newer manufacturing date?
Yes, yes, tyres with newer manufacturing dates.
srs_shetty87 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2018, 20:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
If you're grip hungry and the tyres are already failing you, putting them at the back will only make things worse, especially during monsoons.

Suggestion would be to trade them off and buy 4 new 'good' tyres, which is the best thing to do any day. I would not risk the Kendas at the rear for sure.
Well, wet grip is excellent as I had mentioned in my previous post. So, no issues about the monsoons or putting them at the rear.
Quote:
Quoting myself for an update.

Major con : Looses grip at the slightest hint of sand or gravel to the point where getting from unpaved area to the road causes wheelspin.

Not recommended. I realized this only when I went on a roadtrip.
Again, quoting myself for update 2.

Purchased Firestone tyres ( a subsidiary of Bridgestone) and put them in the front. The dry grip and wheel spin remains as with the Kendas. So looks like my aggressive driving was more to blame and the lack of grip is just an illusion.

Will definitely recommend them again especially after I have had a side by side comparison of both. They are super VFM at the price they are offered.

As far as buying super grippy tires like Michelin and Yokohoma, I don't trust them to suvive in the hills where we go on vacation often. A strong sidewall is a must.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2018, 13:57   #73
BHPian

Just a quick update:

There has been rainfall in my town and the car has been driven on wet conditions. It has performed well - nothing out of the ordinary.

My brother has also driven the car (he is a spirited driver compared to me and my dad) and he told me the tyres are ok - no compromises were felt when compared to regular brand tyres.

Quote:
I replaced my Dunlops just recently, with good tread left in them because i observed very small cracks appearing.
Even in Mumbai, I changed the tyres on my cars in about 4 years due to cracks appearing.
Oh! I was not aware of this. I hope these tyres can serve me at least 3 years before cracks appear.

Quote:

.... tyres with newer manufacturing dates.
I do not know if this particular seller is charging on the basis of manufacturing dates of tyres - If I had known earlier, I would have insisted on getting a set manufactured in 2018. When I got the communication that tyres would have manufacturing dates between 2017-18 from the seller, my dad told me it was ok if they are manufactured in 2017. Well, now I know better when shopping for tyres.
Old 5th October 2018, 14:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! I was not aware of this. I hope these tyres can serve me at least 3 years before cracks appear.
I hope so too.

The age of the tyre depends on the ambient weather too, apart from maintenance and regular wear and tear, hot weather will dry out the rubber and cracks might start to appear sooner.
srs_shetty87 is offline   Reply With Quote