Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 10:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread

Hey guys,just picked a preworshipped Fiat Linea.My only grudge-it came with 4 Kenda Komet tyres and that too brand new.
How are these tyres?,Anyone used them?
My initial review is okay kinds,as they are not noisy,and dont lose grip under hard braking,havent pushed to their limits yet.
Should i keep on using them or Change them?(They wont fetch me even one new Yokohoma or a Michelin).
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 11:29   #2
BHPian

re: Kenda Komet tyres - Discussion Thread

This is what I came up with. Kenda - Passenger Car

Hearing about these tyres for the first time. Ratings look like pretty standard fare, nothing fancy here.
Typical mediocre speed rating long lasting tread pattern.These are my observations by the look of the picture on the website.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what i read-all reviews seem to be neutral.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Appear to be a typical budget tyre from Taiwan or China. Honestly, I wouldn't trust my (or my passenger's life) on such ordinary tyres. Leave aside the Yokohamas & Michelins, I'd even buy a local trusted brand like Apollo over Kenda.

Please switch over to better quality tyres. What's the point of the Linea's handling if its going to be wasted on such tyres?
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 16:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Hey guys,just picked a preworshipped Fiat Linea.My only grudge-it came with 4 Kenda Komet tyres and that too brand new.
My initial review is okay kinds,as they are not noisy,and dont lose grip under hard braking,havent pushed to their limits yet.
Should i keep on using them or Change them?(They wont fetch me even one new Yokohoma or a Michelin).
My preworshipped Mitsu Lancer came with New Yoko A drives in the front and Kenda Komet tyres at the rear (Used, but with decent tread life left). I was anyway planning to change the rear tyres to A drives too, but decided to use the Kenda's for a bit since they had a good amount of tread left on them.
But I was in for a shock when i was washing the car a week back. As i was scrubbing the tryes something pricked my finger and made it bleed. To my shock, i realised that the steel wires had come out of the tyre through the tread (Note the tyres are not bald and have a decent amount tread on them!!!)
No more kenda for me! I haven't changed them yet, will do so asap though.

PS. Sorry no pics of the tyre with me right now.
aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Akshay I too recommend you change the tyres asap. The previous owner ( I wonder how well he worshipped her to put in a kenda) has gone in for the cheapest tyres available just 'coz he was going to sell the car, hence you've got brand new tyres.
Old 6th February 2012, 17:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have unfortunately sold Kenda tyres in Oman & i would strongly suggest you to swap them ASAP if you are going to use Linea in the highways. They are OK for normal town use (speeds below 50kmph) but are one of the cheapest & flimsiest tyres available in the market (world?)
Skyline GT-R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 21:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys-I will switch to better tyres ASAP-Yoko's probably
Old 16th March 2012, 10:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am also looking for tyres for my Marina and my drivers suggested Kenda saying they are mighty popular with the taxi segment due to their long lasting tread pattern. BUt am hesitant and now the above reviews have sealed the fate. Anyone know anyone who is upgrading their tyres in the tri city here. Ill pick up his stock 175/65 14 or 185/65 14. Had bought continentals but an overlooked suspension issue killed the tyres in 20k kms only and need to replace them now. Had changed to yoko c drives in my baleno and am happy with them but dont have much spare money in hand to shod the same on the Indigo as yet. Any idea about apollo or mrf zvts? Whats the difference in price if I go back to oem tubed tyres?
Old 16th March 2012, 10:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please switch over to better quality tyres.
I did not go for some Korean Nexen tyres which was available at a budget price and went for Michelins to my Alto about six months back.

dear Friend, try to change at the earliest opportunity to any trusted brand. Now with the class of Indian roads vastly improving, you ought to.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th March 2012 at 10:23.
Old 16th March 2012, 21:19   #11
BANNED

My friend had them on his toyota and they had side bubbles even without hitting potholes. Not recommended.
Old 8th November 2012, 05:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Time for an update.
Almost 25K kms since i started this thread.
Since my daily usage is on good roads,i thought of sticking to Kenda's.
And i have no complaints,highspeed expressway runs,no roads,bad roads,cornering at good speeds,they are still going strong,and are pretty silent as well,so i think i will use them for a few thousand kms and switch.
akshay4587 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:35   #13
BHPian

After seeing this ill consider going for kenda tyres as an option for my Uno, because i need cheap ones. And how much lesser is the price approximately compared to cheaper indian brands?
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Kenda Komet has weak sidewalls. Stay away.

That said, while its easy to diss them off as 'another wannabe chinese tire' the fact is that they've been in business for over 50 years and are a well known supplier of specialized bike (bicycle) and ATV tyres.

They are also a huge contract manufacturer for other labels, the biggest of them being Cooper tyres. Kenda exited the Cooper JV when they decided that they would rather create and promote their own products rather than contract manufacture for the big labels.

For quite some time, all Avon tires (brand owned by Cooper) were manufactured by Kenda in Taiwan.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The Kenda Komet has weak sidewalls. Stay away.

That said, while its easy to diss them off as 'another wannabe chinese tire' the fact is that they've been in business for over 50 years and are a well known supplier of specialized bike (bicycle) and ATV tyres.

They are also a huge contract manufacturer for other labels, the biggest of them being Cooper tyres. Kenda exited the Cooper JV when they decided that they would rather create and promote their own products rather than contract manufacture for the big labels.

For quite some time, all Avon tires (brand owned by Cooper) were manufactured by Kenda in Taiwan.
May be you are right,but Yoko's suffer from the same problem as well.
And Yeah,I have seen Bicycles using Kenda Tyres.
Btw mine are still going on flawlessly,hope they do so till almost EOL.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks