Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 14:36   #121
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
With the earlier Bridgestones, anything close to 90 feels like the tyres are losing contact with the road.
sanjaykk,

Its great to know that you have gone tubeless. One question though-Which Bridgestone trye did your car earlier run on?

I've used Bridgestone 145/70 R12 (S248s) on my M 800 before I sold it and found the grip levels to be good even at triple digit speeds.

Do let me know.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 24th August 2009, 15:46   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
sanjaykk,

Its great to know that you have gone tubeless. One question though-Which Bridgestone trye did your car earlier run on?

I've used Bridgestone 145/70 R12 (S248s) on my M 800 before I sold it and found the grip levels to be good even at triple digit speeds.

Do let me know.

Cheers,
gpa
I had Bridgestone S322 (145/70R12 69S) earlier.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hey Sanjaykk,
thanks for posting the pics.Your tyres are pretty neat.I think they are taller than my Zigma's which looks underinflated especially at the front.
Your Michelins seem to have given the car extra ground clearance as well and they dont bulge at the bottom the way a Zigma would.

Keep us posted on the perfomance of the tyres .Maybe i could switch to michelin's in the future too

thanks
Hi,

I'd posted my initial observations here:

Quote:
I did my Bangalore > Guruvayoor > Bangalore Trip (~950 kms) on these.
Things I noticed:
  • lost respect for small potholes and skinny rumble strips (especially the 'there but not there' varities around Gudalur)
  • cud take the car a li'l beyond 100kmph. With the earlier Bridgestones, anything close to 90 feels like the tyres are losing contact with the road.
  • feel a little lack of confidence on turns at high speeds.
Regarding ground clearance, I guess yes. There is a marginal increase in the ground clearance. But I somehow think that the suspension cancels this effect. Maybe a few more kms of observation will confirm if this is true. I cannot, though, explain the technicality behind this.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:05   #124
BHPian

145/80 tyres

After some research and going through this extremely informative thread, I installed the MRF ZVTS 145/80 on my M800. I have posted two pictures.

I second Ram's points on the positives and Negatives.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-post.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009, 00:51   #125
BANNED

Does anyone know what is available in 155/75 or 155/80R12 ?
Old 20th September 2009, 01:17   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing in those two sizes you mention TIT.
Old 20th September 2009, 01:23   #127
BANNED

Thanks .It is so painful to hear this .
Old 18th October 2009, 21:59   #128
BHPian

Michelin XM+performance for Maruti 800

Quote:
I finally got 145/80R12 Michelin XM1+ for my M800.
Cost 2050/- per type. Filled nitrogen free of cost (otherwise costs Rs. 30 per tyre and Rs. 10 for refills)

I did my Bangalore > Guruvayoor > Bangalore Trip (~950 kms) on these.
Things I noticed:
  • lost respect for small potholes and skinny rumble strips (especially the 'there but not there' varities around Gudalur)
  • cud take the car a li'l beyond 100kmph. With the earlier Bridgestones, anything close to 90 feels like the tyres are losing contact with the road.
  • feel a little lack of confidence on turns at high speeds.
Hi Sanjay,
How is the performance with Michelin.Read some other post about how fast the tread gets worn out but i think it was with the XM not XM+.I have a 2003 model Maruti 800 with JK radials .4 tyres are which came with the car,one i replaced in 2007 when i had a sidewall burst .Done just 35,000 kms.How do you judge if you need a tyre change.The tread looks good.Will upload a picture of the tyres if required.Last servicing at maruti servicing centre i asked them and they said tyres looked ok but they did not use any tyre tread gauge?? is it the right word...
Checked out the tyre prices at reliance automobile accesories shop at Tolichowki hyderabad.Tubeless they had only Michelin price was 2050 per tyre
with fitting balancing.With tube-Bridgestone:1730,JK 1530,Apollo1485.For the old tyres would give about Rs 400-800 .Do any of the hyderabad team bhpians have any suggestions.Is it mandatory to change your rims when you shift to tubeless.
Old 18th October 2009, 22:34   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Hi Sanjay,
How is the performance with Michelin.Read some other post about how fast the tread gets worn out but i think it was with the XM not XM+.I have a 2003 model Maruti 800 with JK radials .4 tyres are which came with the car,one i replaced in 2007 when i had a sidewall burst .Done just 35,000 kms.How do you judge if you need a tyre change.The tread looks good.Will upload a picture of the tyres if required.Last servicing at maruti servicing centre i asked them and they said tyres looked ok but they did not use any tyre tread gauge?? is it the right word...
Checked out the tyre prices at reliance automobile accesories shop at Tolichowki hyderabad.Tubeless they had only Michelin price was 2050 per tyre
with fitting balancing.With tube-Bridgestone:1730,JK 1530,Apollo1485.For the old tyres would give about Rs 400-800 .Do any of the hyderabad team bhpians have any suggestions.Is it mandatory to change your rims when you shift to tubeless.
I have attached photographs of the tyres for your advice

Photographs added
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0106.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0107.jpg  

Maruti 800 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0108.jpg  

Old 20th October 2009, 21:41   #130
BHPian

Have tried to answer some of your questions inline in bold (I'm no expert! Just user reviews).

Quote:
Hi Sanjay,
How is the performance with Michelin.Read some other post about how fast the tread gets worn out but i think it was with the XM not XM+.

Have not run much on the new Michellins. So cant comment on the tread ware. I just hope it lasts long.

I have a 2003 model Maruti 800 with JK radials .4 tyres are which came with the car,one i replaced in 2007 when i had a sidewall burst .Done just 35,000 kms.How do you judge if you need a tyre change.The tread looks good.Will upload a picture of the tyres if required.Last servicing at maruti servicing centre i asked them and they said tyres looked ok but they did not use any tyre tread gauge?? is it the right word...

Going by the pictures you posted, your tyres can last few more kms. But to be sure, get ALL TYRES checked at a good dealer. Read somewhere about how you can check tread wear using a coin.

Aah..here it is.

with fitting balancing.
With tube-Bridgestone:1730,JK 1530,Apollo1485.For the old tyres would give about Rs 400-800 .Do any of the hyderabad team bhpians have any suggestions.
Is it mandatory to change your rims when you shift to tubeless.

Depends on the condition of your rims. If there are too many dents/bends on the rim it will need replacement. Rust on the rims is also not good.
M800 steel rims should cost Rs. 750 to 800 per rim.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:44   #131
BHPian

My 1997 Old Model M800 needed a new set of rims very recently due to the Hole in the Rim has rusted and the neck of the tube was getting damaged. I changed 2 Rims used one i picked up from one of the Garage. They charged me 750 including the painting of the 4 RIMS in Silver color. Looks a decent deal.

The car runs on Appollo Amazer from past 3 years and with that tyre covered almost 25000 KM looks . I have event touched 100 kph on Nice Road in bangalore when there was no traffic around . IT doesnt have any issues till now.

I have seen the same tyre brand on some some ACE Carriages
Old 15th December 2009, 19:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Over a Maruti 800 with stock radials, the 80% aspect ratio radials have improved both cushioned ride quality and fuel economy.

It has definitely been a worthwhile upgrade for me.

The taller side walls flex more while cornering, marginally increasing understeer and making you slow down while cornering. I wish the front-end geometry were stiffer, so I intend to install a strut brace across the McPherson towers.

Ram
Hi Ram,
Planning to change my maruti 800 tires.Too many choices and brands have muddled my mind.Currently i have JK 145 70r12 with tubes since 2003 done 36,00 kms .However 1 tyre i had changed in 2007 when i had a sidewall burst.Not had many problems with the stock tires so far

My doubts are
1.If i do change to tubeless do i have to change all 5 .What will be the effect if at any time the car has 3 tubeless and 1 with tubes.
2.If i change to another brand besides JK can the car have 3 tires of one make and 1 of a different make
2.If i change to 145 80 r12 then i guess have to change all 5 tires.Michelin does not have 145 70 r12 -checked with a couple of vendors.Secondly the fitting of the spare tire in the luggage compartment may be difficult
3.after fitting new tires is wheel balancing and alignment both necessary.One vendor will only do fitting and balancing.
pls provide your inputs to help me decide.
Old 15th December 2009, 20:15   #133
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.If i do change to tubeless do i have to change all 5 .What will be the effect if at any time the car has 3 tubeless and 1 with tubes.
At low city speeds, there won't be much difference.
But you must have the same kind and size of tire on both left and right sides of the same axle. If the front tires have dissimilar rolling circumferences, your differential gears will operate all the time leading to increased wear and tear.
Quote:
2.If i change to another brand besides JK can the car have 3 tires of one make and 1 of a different make
Should not be a problem if the tire sizes are the same.

Quote:
3.after fitting new tires is wheel balancing and alignment both necessary.One vendor will only do fitting and balancing.
Why not go to a big shop who does everything?
Alignment is certainly necessary, if your geometry is misaligned.
Old 9th January 2010, 20:35   #134
BHPian

I changed the tyres on my M800 from 145/70R12 Goodyear GPS2 to Yokohama 165/60R12 A539. There's no noticable change in diameter. The calc says that it's about a couple of millimeters smaller, but no big deal. But they are wider, and I've got them on the stock rims. Will they scrub the inside on full suspension travel? Has anyone fitted these on an 800 yet? Will post pics as soon as I get my cam back.
Old 20th January 2010, 23:53   #135
BHPian

Hi guys.

I have an 2004 M800 which has clocked 65000 & is due for new footwear. I desparately wanted to upsize the tyres to increase ground clearance & better cushioning over mad roads of Mumbai & outskirts, particularly because when fully loaded the silencer kisses big speed- breakers with ease.

Actually, I want to go in for a 13" Konig alloy with 155/80 R13.

Is this possible & would this be a wise thing.

Your advise is my command wise people.

Peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks