Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:28   #136

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Just curious, why you feel the need for upsize? The stock tire size is more than adequate in size and width.
Increasing the tyre width gives a better stance to the vehicle. I believe the maximum allowed increased in circumference is 2% if you upsize the tyre.

From this link - http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

The increase in circumference from 235/65 R17 to 255/60 R17 is 1.58mm (0.07%). So not much harm and wider tyres.
Old 30th September 2016, 16:02   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyushkohli View Post
Hi Ritesh,

I got these from Sai Mag Wheels. Though I visited them personally, they do have a website www.alloywheelsindia.com and a wide range of alloys. Definitely a great place to buy alloy wheels. The cost is INR 35k for a set of 4.

Pratyush
Hi Pratyush

Can you tell me something.I was looking up the website you mentioned.
When short-listing the rims, what is the stock width of the OEMs to search for and up to what width can one safely go to, without the wheel fouling with the body?.
Cheerio!
Old 27th November 2016, 23:13   #138
BHPian

Hi guys ,
I am planning to change my tyre this week . After reading this thread I am kind of inclined towards 255/60/R17 and I have the below options.
Price offered for Yokohama is approximately Rs 12000 and Pirelli Rs 16000.
Any last minute guidance to choose the right set ?

My only requirement is ride comfort.

Thanks
Ansuman
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre.jpg  

Old 28th November 2016, 11:56   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not recommend the upsize in XUV, 235 has excellent grip levels, firstly its going to alter handling balance, and 255 is going to reduce wheel well clearances(which matter when driving through mud/snow).

My recommendation is Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 235/65 size, which I have been using for a year now.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 15:51   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I would not recommend the upsize in XUV, 235 has excellent grip levels, firstly its going to alter handling balance, and 255 is going to reduce wheel well clearances(which matter when driving through mud/snow).

My recommendation is Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 235/65 size, which I have been using for a year now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I've not seen too many of these. But given that it's a Yokohama Geolandar, it should be good.
Thanks Anshuman . What I have read & understood from the forum is
1. Upsize from 235/65 R17 to 255/60 R17 should be Okay as there is not much change in Circumference.
2. Since the contact areas with the 255/60 increases a bit it should provide more stability on road . in fact I am under an impression that the ride quality will improve.
3. Steering wheel might be slightly heavy.
4. Expect a small drop in mileage

I was prepared to trade #3&4. For #2 But it seems that I am missing some important points .

To be honest this is my first tyre change in 7 yrs of ownership. (The previous car was sold with the stock tyres)

Internet seems to be more biased towards Yokohama than Pirelli ( mostly non Indian sites). Yokos are also cheaper by almost 3k and that adds to confusion.
Old 28th November 2016, 16:01   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
1. Upsize from 235/65 R17 to 255/60 R17 should be Okay as there is not much change in Circumference.
With increased width the already tight wheel well space is going to be compromised.

Quote:
2. Since the contact areas with the 255/60 increases a bit it should provide more stability on road . in fact I am under an impression that the ride quality will improve.
Upsizing blindly for Handling improvement is not always a good thing, sometimes it also ends up in spoiling the handling balance especially in high COG SUV's where some amount of roll is more preferable than too much grip which may result in roll over.

Quote:
3. Steering wheel might be slightly heavy.
4. Expect a small drop in mileage
These won't be a big bother.

XUV is not under tyred, although OE Bridgestone Dueler tyres start squealing early but grip levels are no bad at all, I've done a lot of hard cornering in both OE tyres and Scorpions. I wouldn't recommend a wider patch.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 16:18   #142
BHPian

Mine is running with Stock apollos. After 33K km they are super noisy and very unstable on the uneven roads. Though there is still some thread left , the car really becomes unstable ( wobbling & some floating effect) with minor undulation of roads. That's the main reason why I was more inclined towards wider rubber . Thanks for the insight.
Old 15th December 2016, 09:40   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
They are doing great as of now. Compared to JK's they are far better. Money well spent.
How are they holding up Nitin? And are these in 225 section or 235?

How is the road noise level? Will you recommend?
Old 15th December 2016, 13:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How are they holding up Nitin? And are these in 225 section or 235?

How is the road noise level? Will you recommend?
Hi Sheel. Well the tyres are holding good. Haven't had single puncture till date even though i went over a big pothole at a speed of 120 with 4 people and full luggage and came out without a hick up.
Only thing is that since they are AT's, they are noisy. BUT as i had JK's before them, hence i have grown in into these noises. For this purpose, i have a very high end music system

As for recommendation, i would say its worth the money spent. Since my XUV was already 4 years old when Maxxis came in, hence i knew i would be keeping this car for another couple of years hence dont want to spend a bomb on tyres as it is i had lived with JK's all this while, hence went for these. So its your call, if you want to live with your XUV for short while, then go for it.

Oh, its standard 235/65/17 ones.
Old 15th December 2016, 16:28   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
So its your call, if you want to live with your XUV for short while, then go for it.

Oh, its standard 235/65/17 ones.
It will be for my 4WD Scorpio.

I am skeptical if road noise and on road behavior, especially braking etc. Hope that aspect is good as well.
Old 16th December 2016, 12:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It will be for my 4WD Scorpio.

I am skeptical if road noise and on road behavior, especially braking etc. Hope that aspect is good as well.
XUV was never know for its braking hence adding these tyres didn't helped either. Or maybe i got used to the crappy braking all these years that i dont even feel it anymore. So cant say will these tyres improve/worsen the braking.
Road noise is there for sure like JK's.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:10   #147
BHPian

I seem to be getting very frequent small pinhole kind of punctures on two of my XUV's tyres. All 5 are currently OEM Apollo Hawkz H/P 235/65/R17. The vehicle is just about to complete 30,000 kms. Do you people feel that it is time to change the tyres? Or should I stick with these for some more time?

What could be causing these small punctures? It is not like I drive over some rough terrain or something, just a normal city commute with occasional highway jaunts. The guy who fixed my punctures last time said these are fairly normal as the tyres age and they can be used for some more time, but I'm not too sure.

Incidentally, I have just compiled a list of all 235/65 R17 tyres I could find along with the current online prices. You are welcome to add to this list and repost here for other to refer to. Haven't been to any dealer to see what the street prices are yet. I'm planning to do that this weekend or the next.

Meanwhile, attached this post is the list in MS Excel format. AFAIK, almost all of them are H/T rated, except for the Pirelli Scorpions which are A/T. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Latitude Tour HP with a "V" (max 240 kmph) speed rating, since I'm on the highways fairly often and like hearing that sweet ting-ting-ting sound If anyone has any recommendation of a dealer in Bangalore for these, do post here or PM me. What could I possibly expect as a trade in value for my current set?
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx XUV Tyres.xlsx (11.0 KB, 846 views)

Last edited by SDP : 9th January 2017 at 17:48. Reason: merging back to back posts as requested
Stryker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 23:00   #148
BHPian

Hi stryker

If u don't do soft roading or intensive terrain drives (even on tarred surfaces) you don't need a/t tyres. They offer exceptional grip and handling but come with the negatives of road noise and a slight mileage impact. H/t are perfect for city and highway drives.. I would highly recommend scorpion Verde and conti sport comfort in the foreign list... Yokohama SUV series is an India made Yoko tyre. Will work well too. Don't buy Indian brands... All my patriotism apart, they just don't hold a candle to imported tires. The Apollo's you have are the worst tires I have ever owned across 18 years of driving. Change them ASAP..cheers
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 10:51   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
If u don't do soft roading or intensive terrain drives (even on tarred surfaces) you don't need a/t tyres.
True, I don't do much off roading, soft roading, etc., at least not intentionally! We get to do enough of that on our city "roads" anyway. Sometimes you don't have much choice but to get down and dirty on some back country lanes, but that is the limit for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
The Apollo's you have are the worst tires I have ever owned across 18 years of driving. Change them ASAP..cheers
LOL, talk about a vote of no-confidence! I guess the tyres are close to their intended wear life. I'm now down to two tyres for choice, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Approx 15,500/- for the former and 12,500/- for the latter. Hope to get this done by this weekend.
Old 18th January 2017, 14:41   #150
BHPian

Scorpions ATR is good tyre if you don't drive too often above 100 kmph. Noise is considerably low on these tyres.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks