Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 14:51   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
Hello everyone,
I am in the market looking for a replacement to the BS Duelers that came factory fitted on my XUV (1st Gen-2014 W6).
The tyres have completed 35K KM and are nearing replacement.
I zeroed down to the following 2 options:
1. BS Duelers (the tyre that came factory fitted with the car)
2. Maxxis Bravo AT

The spare is a brand new one and has not been used even once.

The dealer told me that he will buy back the spare BS Dueler for 10K however he told me that the BS Dueler doesnt come with warranty and was pushing for NEXEN AT Tyre. I asked for the Maxxis too however he told that Maxxis was selling with some partnership in India and now the company has restructured and are going all alone with the sales of their tyres in India which will take approximately 2 months and Maxxis tyres wont be available for this duration.

Can someone tell me if this is true and if anyone who has used NEXEN tyres, can review them.

Thanks in advance.
Why dont you look at Michelin or Pirelli? Nexen are best avoided, while BS Duellers are a good option too. No idea about Maxxis. My XUV500 came shod with BS Duellers HT as was my Safari Storme. Pretty satisfied with the tyre so far.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd January 2018 at 22:05. Reason: typo
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 00:17   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I am in the market looking for a replacement to the BS Duelers that came factory fitted on my XUV (1st Gen-2014 W6).
The tyres have completed 35K KM and are nearing replacement.
I zeroed down to the following 2 options:
1. BS Duelers (the tyre that came factory fitted with the car)
2. Maxxis Bravo AT

The spare is a brand new one and has not been used even once.

The dealer told me that he will buy back the spare BS Dueler for 10K however he told me that the BS Dueler doesnt come with warranty and was pushing for NEXEN AT Tyre. I asked for the Maxxis too however he told that Maxxis was selling with some partnership in India and now the company has restructured and are going all alone with the sales of their tyres in India which will take approximately 2 months and Maxxis tyres wont be available for this duration.

Can someone tell me if this is true and if anyone who has used NEXEN tyres, can review them.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Ritesh, any specific reason to go for AT tyres? To my mind if you want to drive in city/highway, should go for HP/HT/UHP tyres. Use AT if you are planning to cover varied climate/terrains. Wanted to flag, Pirelli Scorpion Verde is an excellent comfort tyre and is now available in XUV size. I checked in Vashi and it was available for ~12k a piece (very close to the Dueler HT684 pricing). Do take a look at that one. I helped a friend migrate his duelers to Pirelli Scorpion ATR recently and I believe he paid ~11200-11400 per tyre.

Cheers
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:35   #198
Senior - BHPian

It has been 17 months and 33k kms since I replaced the tyres of XUV with Yokohama Geolander H/T. I found my front left tyre worn out completely

Front shock absorbers assembly (LH) was fitted with a new unit & wheel alignment was done after which Car has clocked 7k kms. Not sure whether this sudden wear has got something to do with the newly fitted shocks

What could be the other reasons for the sudden wear of Left front tyres?

Any inputs?
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:58   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Any inputs?
Post shock absorber/suspension work, the WA &WB needs to be done by someone who knows his job. Were you facing WA/WB issues?

Is yours an AWD by any chance, reason I ask this because, the parameters for WA was/is different for 4WD SUV's, though unsure in case of AWD.
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:17   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Post shock absorber/suspension work, the WA &WB needs to be done by someone who knows his job. Were you facing WA/WB issues?

Is yours an AWD by any chance, reason I ask this because, the parameters for WA was/is different for 4WD SUV's, though unsure in case of AWD.
Mine is a 2WD. I didn't faced any issues like car pulling to one side. WA & WB was done at the authorized Mahindra workshop
Old 25th May 2017, 17:32   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi Ritesh, Use AT if you are planning to cover varied climate/terrains. Wanted to flag, Pirelli Scorpion Verde is an excellent comfort tyre and is now available in XUV size. I helped a friend migrate his duelers to Pirelli Scorpion ATR recently and I believe he paid ~11200-11400 per tyre.

Cheers
Hello Vikram, thats the exact reason why I am going for AT Tyres. The terrains i cover are varied.

Earlier i was planning to purchase 3 BS Duelers and use them alongwith the spare which was not even used once. However the tyre dealer in Shimla is giving a sweet buyback deal on the spare BS Dueler. The Maxxis AT is being offered at 8K a piece which is around 3K less than BS Dueler / Pirelli / Apollo

Now the plan is to purchase 4 Maxxis AT Tyres while giving the spare back to the tyre shop guy.
Old 26th May 2017, 13:10   #202

Hey guys. I own a XUV500 2WD which has clocked 1,10,000km & needs tyre replacement now. The rear tyres are highly worn out, while the front ones still have juice left in them. I've narrowed down to the following after some research on the web. Tyre size is 235/65R17.
1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR
2. Continental Conti Cross UHP
Though Conti showcases some good reviews, I've come to understand that the Pirellis are better; but can't find a shop selling Pirellis.
I'm in Paradip, Odisha now on an official trip (of course, I drive here) & i shall return to Trichy, Tamilnadu in a couple of days. Is there anyway I can find a tyre shop selling Pirellis en route?
I need advice from Team BHPians located at Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack, Vizag, Vijayawada & Chennai.
Old 7th June 2017, 11:32   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I use Scorpion ATRs on my 4x4 Fortuner, but I have faced a number of punctures e.g. when trail driving.

They are very good for highway driving, but have a fuel efficiency penalty of 0.5 - 1kmpl compared to my previous HT tyre.

Jury is still out re whether I again buy Scorpions or go for Continental or Yoko ATs. My driving pattern is 60% highways, 25% horrible roads, and 15% offroading.
My experience with pirelli ATR has been very good so far in 15k kms run. No puncture till date. Drove many times in heavy rains and ghat roads apart from usual bumper to bumper traffic in bangalore. They performed great.
Old 15th June 2017, 10:37   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Vikram, thats the exact reason why I am going for AT Tyres. The terrains i cover are varied.

Earlier i was planning to purchase 3 BS Duelers and use them alongwith the spare which was not even used once. However the tyre dealer in Shimla is giving a sweet buyback deal on the spare BS Dueler. The Maxxis AT is being offered at 8K a piece which is around 3K less than BS Dueler / Pirelli / Apollo

Now the plan is to purchase 4 Maxxis AT Tyres while giving the spare back to the tyre shop guy.
Hi Ritesh, Apologies for the late reply. The Maxxis AT sounds like a good plan (VFM). They are indeed butch looking and I like the donut shape a lot. However, no too sure of rubber quality as it may be harder than the Pireeli.Mich.Yoko standards. Please be aware of that. Incrementally, my dealer in Navi Mumbai told me that the new batch of Pirelli Scorpion Verde (HT) are here and they are selling like hotcakes (Price 12000-12500 per tyre). Incidentally they are ~1k more than Scorpion ATRs. If you are looking for comfort oriented highway/city tyres, these would be an awesome choice.

On a personal front, I just completed 40ks in My Scorpion ATRs. Back from a 5k trip (Mumbai-Spiti-Mumbai) and drive through the worst possible roads I have drien in my life. The tyres are exemplary. They showed fantastic/grip and acceptable ride comfort during my entire trip. Touchwood I havent faced even a single puncture/deflation or any other issue with my tires in these 40ks. From a visual look it seems they would easily do 10k more.

I am a big fan of this undermarketed brand and unless someone offers an irresistable deal, my next change would certainly be Pirellis. Although I may settle for the Scorpion Verde next as my love for Offroading is kind of done (Just Leh/ladakh left now as I have already done Spiti/Sikkim).
Old 25th June 2017, 18:13   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
It has been 17 months and 33k kms since I replaced the tyres of XUV with Yokohama Geolander H/T. I found my front left tyre worn out completely

Front shock absorbers assembly (LH) was fitted with a new unit & wheel alignment was done after which Car has clocked 7k kms. Not sure whether this sudden wear has got something to do with the newly fitted shocks

What could be the other reasons for the sudden wear of Left front tyres?

Any inputs?
Dealer has verified the Wheel Alignment setting & concluded everything is fine. I informed RM that Iam going to replace both the front tyres...he suggested to run with the same tyre with position swapped at same wheel.

Measured the depth with help of a local tyre dealer (was told 3.8 mm). After running for 2000 kms, the depth has gone down by 0.7 mm (3.1 mm). I have documented the details in an email transaction with dealer/Mahindra....idea is not to end up with quicker wear when I opt for newer tyres.

Will be sending the vehicle to dealer for further investigation.
Old 21st July 2017, 14:52   #206
BHPian

Hi All,

Happy to inform that continental cross contact ATs are now available in india. I see them listed on changemytire with prem tyres. Previously XUV owners were limited to using the crosscontact UHPs (which i did not understand as a concept) but these should be true blue AT tyres..let me know if you guys find any info on pricing etc..rgds
Old 30th July 2017, 00:57   #207

Hey Guys,
My prime has run almost 46k on the stock Apollo Apterra HP tyres. My tyres have worn down till the tyre wear indicator. And its time to change & given that I do a 75/25 share of good and bad roads I want to move to AT tyres.

I don't mind the noise (nothing a good eminen can't handle) but comfort and durability are key for me this time. So far based on reading through this post , I've narrowed down on a few below (along with the price from XL Tyre Point TNagar)

- Pirelli SCORPION ATR (based on vikram and avinash's posts - thanks!) price TBD
- Goodyear WRANGLER AT/SA @ 11k / tyre
- Continental CROSSCONTACT AT @ 14k / tyre

I'm inclined towards either the Pirelli or the Goodyear ( Attached is the pic of the new Goodyear AT SilentArmor - the tyre guy suggested that they are more comfortable and have a double Kevlar lining for durability !! )

Please advise ..
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20170729_1731302.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:33   #208
BHPian

I have changed tyres of my 2015 XUV AWD today. Bought Goodyear wrangler AT/SA. I have driven around 15kms after the change and it is too early to comment. I have a 1500km roadtrip starting today. Will share the feedback after that.

I had Pirelli Scorpion ATRs earlier which lasted for 47000 kms. There was uneven tyre wear issue, else it would have lasted around 55K.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 14:30   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apn6 View Post
Hey Guys,
My prime has run almost 46k on the stock Apollo Apterra HP tyres. My tyres have worn down till the tyre wear indicator. And its time to change & given that I do a 75/25 share of good and bad roads I want to move to AT tyres.

I don't mind the noise (nothing a good eminen can't handle) but comfort and durability are key for me this time. So far based on reading through this post , I've narrowed down on a few below (along with the price from XL Tyre Point TNagar)

- Pirelli SCORPION ATR (based on vikram and avinash's posts - thanks!) price TBD
- Goodyear WRANGLER AT/SA @ 11k / tyre
- Continental CROSSCONTACT AT @ 14k / tyre

I'm inclined towards either the Pirelli or the Goodyear ( Attached is the pic of the new Goodyear AT SilentArmor - the tyre guy suggested that they are more comfortable and have a double Kevlar lining for durability !! )

Please advise ..
You are welcome and thanks for adding prices and options for AT on the thread.

The Wrangler looks like an excellent deal. The Scorpion ATR should cost ~11500 (I checked last month)
If the wrangler is rated for comfort I think it would be a very interesting choice. I read global reviews on the tyre and the 2 things that stood out are:

1. they are very reliably and grippy
2. They have a very deep tread (more than Pirelli ATR) which means longer life

Also despite a higher price, the Crosscontact ATshave lower rating globally. It seems to me that the premium one's paying for that tyre is due to poor availability (They seem fairly new for the 235/65/17 size) and my thoughts are if availability goes up, their prices could come down.

As of writing this review I have completed 40k on my Scorpion ATRs (Including a gut wrenching Spiti Trip). They are good to go for 10k more. I also got my first puncture at around 37k kms.

Hope this info helps in your decision!
Old 10th August 2017, 14:36   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I have changed tyres of my 2015 XUV AWD today. Bought Goodyear wrangler AT/SA. I have driven around 15kms after the change and it is too early to comment. I have a 1500km roadtrip starting today. Will share the feedback after that.

I had Pirelli Scorpion ATRs earlier which lasted for 47000 kms. There was uneven tyre wear issue, else it would have lasted around 55K.
Hi S5157,

Very keen to hear your review ahead of the long trip. My Pirellis Scorpion ATRs have done 40k and I will be ready for a tyre change in 3 months. Will keenly look at your review to choose my next upgrade. So far Wrangler AT/SA is my top choice followed by Scorpion ATR.

Most Viewed