Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:00   #211

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I have Maxxis AT and its been more than a year since i have been using them. They have very good grip and very resistant to punctures ( not even a single one till date touchwood). So HT would be even better in my opinion.
Heres the pic of mine:
Attachment 1606728
Hi,

My w6 automatic beast is arriving next week, and considering alloys. Loved what you have there. Could you please share the details/price on your alloys ?

How is your AT tyres performance with higher speeds (120-130) on tarmac, and any specific observations on cornering/handling ?

And, if anyone knows alloys availability in Bangalore, it would be immensely helpful.

Thanks a mil....

Regards,
sk
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:21   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk13 View Post
Hi,

My w6 automatic beast is arriving next week, and considering alloys. Loved what you have there. Could you please share the details/price on your alloys ?

How is your AT tyres performance with higher speeds (120-130) on tarmac, and any specific observations on cornering/handling ?

And, if anyone knows alloys availability in Bangalore, it would be immensely helpful.

Thanks a mil....

Regards,
sk
Thanks for the compliments

Well these are almost 6 years old alloys (bought them in Nov 2011) when i got my W6. They costed me 25K for a set of 4 alloys. These are Prestige alloys from Delhi so not sure about their availability in Bangalore. Also price might have increased now for these alloys. Check Prestige alloys site.

As for the Tyre's, well i am happy with them as i have started doing offroading with my XUV. They are hard when driven on smooth tarmac but really tough on bad roads. Buy them only if your daily commute involves bad/no roads, otherwise stick to Bridge/JK/Apollo etc (whichever you get as stock).
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:35   #213
Senior - BHPian

Replaced my OEM JKTyres Elanzo-NXTs with a set of four Michelin PrimacySUV tyres. Stock size, made in Thailand, bought from Concept Tyres, Kazhakkoottam. Done only 500 odd kms after that, and these tyres are super-silent. The cost is 50800 incl. WA, WB and N2 filling.
Old 22nd August 2017, 17:12   #214
BHPian

Terrific ! May I ask how much did your tyres clock before this replacement? And also, any particular reason why you chose Concept over New Bharat Tyres (opposite Ananthapuri Hospital)?
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 18:14   #215
BHPian

Completed 3000 KMS on Goodyear Wrangler AT/SAs. The experience is mixed.

1.Wet and dry grip is good and is on par with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. Most of my drives were in pouring rain on Kerala Highways and they performed well.

2. Road noise is higher than Scorpion ATRs.

3. There has been a fuel efficiency drop of around .5 KMPL as per the onboard display compared to scorpion ATRs. I use to average 13kmpl earlier and now it is around 12.3 - 12.4.
Old 26th August 2017, 20:48   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Completed 3000 KMS on Goodyear Wrangler AT/SAs. The experience is mixed.

2. Road noise is higher than Scorpion ATRs..
Let them bed-in a bit. Road noise should go down. The grip is phenomenal in an off-road situation, plus no air-loss.
Old 26th August 2017, 21:06   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Terrific ! May I ask how much did your tyres clock before this replacement? And also, any particular reason why you chose Concept over New Bharat Tyres (opposite Ananthapuri Hospital)?
@Jacob, the complete story here: Thanks!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4243138
Old 30th August 2017, 16:15   #218
BHPian

Hi Guys,

looking to replace my XUV FWD tyres. it has done 50k and tyres are now showing signs if being worn out. I have enquired at many places and here are the quotes (per tyre):

JKTyre Elanzo - 10.4k to 11.4k
BS Deuller - 10.5 to 13.4k
GoodYear Wrangler - 10.1 to 13.8k (comes with 2 yr undconditional warranty + 1 year additional manufacturing defect warranty)
Michellin Primacy - 10k
Ceat Czar - 8.7k
Pirelli XLS ATR - 11.4k

My XUV is used for daily office commute and weekend out of city drives (80/20). Can you please suggest which of the above looks to be good options to go for? Also it will be great if you can suggest a good tyre shop in anywhere in Mumbai.

Noise level - not so imp
Longevity - Imp
Ride Quality - Imp

TIA
Old 30th August 2017, 16:42   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

looking to replace my XUV FWD tyres. it has done 50k and tyres are now showing signs if being worn out. I have enquired...

Noise level - not so imp
Longevity - Imp
Ride Quality - Imp

JKTyre Elanzo -
BS Deuller - the Dueler should be your first choice as per your requirement
GoodYear Wrangler - the Wrangler will last looong. Not so silent as Michelin or Pirelli.
Michellin Primacy - THIS is what I bought, NOT Primacy, PrimacySUV. The price you quote is just great. The PrimacySUV is very silent (only 500 kms covered so far, yet...) and offers excellent ride quality. But these are a bit soft and may not last more than 40K kms.
Ceat Czar - maybe you should give Apollo a try
Pirelli XLS ATR - Same characteristics as Michelin, as far as I know.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th August 2017 at 16:44.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 14:45   #220
BHPian

Hi Guys,

did bit more research. here is an updated list (with few corrections from previous one & load ratings added)
  • Tyre Load Rating Speed Rating Other Rating Unconditional Warranty Starting Price
  • JK Tyre Elanzo 104 H Y 9250
  • BS Dueler 104 H 10500
  • GY Wrangler 104 H Y 10000
  • Ceat Czar 8700
  • Pirelli XLS ATR 108 H XL 11000
  • Apollo Apterra HP 108 H 10800
  • Vredestein 108 V XL 12300
  • Falken Wildpeak AT 104 T Y 11350
  • Michellin Primacy SUV 108 V TL 12200

Now am slightly confused on how much is the impact of say brands, load rating etc. Also what does XL/TL in "108V XL" mean? when on open roads I do like pushing my XUV. Does that necessitate a high speed rated tyre?

Please opine.
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:41   #221
BHPian

Hi guys,

Thought of just updating again before I forget to close it out. I went ahead with Wrangler looks good @9.9k a piece. Haven't driven much but these look to withstand much abuse.

Just wanted to know as I didn't get much of my old jktyres . The dealer said the size isn't a fast moving one and usually you would not get anything. To add the tyres didn't look totally worn out as in by the looks it would have gone for another 5k. However the feel wasn't there anymore. Also, read somewhere on the forum that jktyres aren't that much reliable and looks can be deceiving.

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:18   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thought of just updating again before I forget to close it out. I went ahead with Wrangler looks good @9.9k a piece. Haven't driven much but these look to withstand much abuse.

Just wanted to know as I didn't get much of my old jktyres . The dealer said the size isn't a fast moving one and usually you would not get anything. To add the tyres didn't look totally worn out as in by the looks it would have gone for another 5k. However the feel wasn't there anymore. Also, read somewhere on the forum that jktyres aren't that much reliable and looks can be deceiving.

Thanks
The Wrangler deal looks killer. I think the reason they are cheaper is that they have Indian rubber. Be prepared for some road noise but they should offer great life and sturdy grip. Just to put things in terms of old tyres, my OEM Apollo Spterra HPs went bald at 33ks after a Sikkim trip and I got INR 100 apiece to swap them. XUV has a very odd size and the only other car that can fit the same size is the Q3. Also, XUV is hardly used for commercial taxis so no one will be out there looking for a cheap deal. Whatever you got for your old tyre should be just fine.
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:38   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

did bit more research. here is an updated list (with few corrections from previous one & load ratings added)
  • Tyre Load Rating Speed Rating Other Rating Unconditional Warranty Starting Price
  • JK Tyre Elanzo 104 H Y 9250
  • BS Dueler 104 H 10500
  • GY Wrangler 104 H Y 10000
  • Ceat Czar 8700
  • Pirelli XLS ATR 108 H XL 11000
  • Apollo Apterra HP 108 H 10800
  • Vredestein 108 V XL 12300
  • Falken Wildpeak AT 104 T Y 11350
  • Michellin Primacy SUV 108 V TL 12200

Now am slightly confused on how much is the impact of say brands, load rating etc. Also what does XL/TL in "108V XL" mean? when on open roads I do like pushing my XUV. Does that necessitate a high speed rated tyre?

Please opine.
Hi WheelWake..

XL rating refers to extra load as these are reinforced to be used on very heavy vehicles. That does not mean if the vehicle is heavily loaded. It mean when the actual weight of the vehicle is high. You should expect solid sidewalls on these tyres. I drive Scorpion ATRs. XLS ATRs look like an upgrade with more solid sidewalls.

TL just means tubeless so that seems to be an illogical remark in today's world

Regarding your Qs on impact of brands, i think the foreign tyres are more cushy given the compound they use (Making Pirelli Scorpion ATR best of both worlds with cushioning from foreign rubber and All terrain reliability and grip)

If you are pushing your XUV to dangerous territory of 140-150 km or more then you should consider a higher speed rating tyre. All the tyres you mentioned above with H rating can withstand speeds upto 200 kmph with the V rating tyres providing stability upto 225 kmph. I am not sure if you would ever push your car to that territory. My advice ofcourse is to be safe and even if you touch that beeping 150 mark, slow down in Incredible India.

To give you some advice from me,

The Pirelli XLS ATRs will probably take a toll on your mileage (heavier due to reinforcement) so unless you are going to drive with a very heavy load all the time, also consider the Scorpion ATRs

Also I am a believer that OEM tyres are made keeping economy (of the manufacturer) in mind and they are simply tyres to take you From point A to point B without breaking a sweat. I do not recommend replacing OEMs with OEMs as there is slightly expensive but better tyres out there and trust me I have had situations where an OEM tyre nearly got me into heart in mouth moments whereas aftrmarket high quality tyres have been life savers.

If you do not intend to do offroad like driving (broken himalayan roads, long distances with no roads/bad roads), H/T oriented tyres will suit your purpose more that AT tyres.

Since you mentioned pushing on open roads, my reco (in order of preference would be):

1. Michelin Primacy SUV (Only downside is potentially soft sidewalls)
2. Falken Wildpeak HT (Excellent warranty package)
3. Vredestein (Only downside being they are fairly new to market)
4. Pirelli Scorpion ATR (Not XLS)

You should ignore the Indian made tyres and OEM tyres.

Personal request, do not buy Apterras. They are so so so bad I want them to shut down before they kill people on the road. I have had 2 sets of Apollos on my previous car and the OEMs on my current XUV and both sets got me into trouble for lack of grip and stability. After 30ks they were both spinning on braking and slipping and sliding even if you threw a bucket of water under them. Just terrible and typical OEM sasta maal.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by vikram31 : 3rd September 2017 at 07:47.
vikram31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:40   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

looking to replace my XUV FWD tyres. it has done 50k and tyres are now showing signs if being worn out. I have enquired at many places and here are the quotes (per tyre):

JKTyre Elanzo - 10.4k to 11.4k
BS Deuller - 10.5 to 13.4k
GoodYear Wrangler - 10.1 to 13.8k (comes with 2 yr undconditional warranty + 1 year additional manufacturing defect warranty)
Michellin Primacy - 10k
Ceat Czar - 8.7k
Pirelli XLS ATR - 11.4k

My XUV is used for daily office commute and weekend out of city drives (80/20). Can you please suggest which of the above looks to be good options to go for? Also it will be great if you can suggest a good tyre shop in anywhere in Mumbai.

Noise level - not so imp
Longevity - Imp
Ride Quality - Imp

TIA
Re: tyre shop, if you can come to Vashi, I can introduce you to Best Tyres, an ecellent multi brand dealer who I have done multiple tyre replacements with and he is very reliable.
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:13   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Re: tyre shop, if you can come to Vashi, I can introduce you to Best Tyres, an ecellent multi brand dealer who I have done multiple tyre replacements with and he is very reliable.
Hey thx buddy!!
I spoke with them and they had good ratings and very reasonable prices. Would have gone with them had I not spoken with Saifee. Although I landed up a different shop next to Saifee.

But my experience has been there are lot of players with varried offering and prices. Reputation, service levels and prices which makes some stand out. A dealer told me BS has inventory issues and that's why they are offering dueller for 9.5k when it retail at 13.5k. also Santacruz is still the goto place for any after market fitmets. (All dealers here seems to be reasonable). Several brands weren't marketed at all like Michelin everybody has it, pirelli not all but most of them, jk, ceat and mrf hardly ppl had it, Apollo just the authorised dealers with even fewer with vredestein, Yoko, falken all have the size but no body stocks and prices aren't great either.

Will feedback on the Wrangler after I have decent run. Also the make was 3217 so was happy with that. Need to register for unconditional warranty.

Signing off on the Tyre replacement experience.

Ciao
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks