Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 08:46   #256
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Vikram, I am seeing a dozen SUV’s (my office has space for Bajaj electric vendor who oversee the fitment of poles & wires everywhere and they have Safari/Scorpio & others) on these Wranglers and 3 S10 & 2 XUV’s with these AT/SA and no issues with them.

I am not saying Wranglers are superior but whatever is said by the shopkeeper isn’t right.

By the way, Continental has launched the Cross Contact AT in this size as well as Michelin. So plenty of options now. And please read reviews about tires in Australian 4X4 forums as well as US, lots of experiences shared there.
Hey Sheel thanks. this is what i was looking for. Will certainly give them a look now as i feel they will give me good offroading capability and i believe these tyres have the deepest treads. Also thanks for the input on the cross contact at. will check them out. .cheers
Old 19th February 2018, 12:46   #257
BHPian

Hey Guys, I am in the process of closing a deal on a used XUV500. I would need to replace the tyres as soon as I buy the car. I had a few queries regarding the tyre and type I should be purchasing. My drive would be 50% city, 40% highways and 10% hilly/rough terrain.

Should I go in for AT tyres or normal ones? What would the basic disadvantages of AT tyres over normal ones?

My main priority is reliability. I would not want to be stranded on road with my 5months old daughter due to a sidewall damage etc.

Please also advise the tyre options which I should be going for?

Having gone through the thread Pirelli scorpion ATR seems to be the most popular choice.

What could be other worthwhile options? MRF wanderer or maxxis 771?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:05   #258
BHPian

Hello dear members, my XUV has done almost 63k (in three years) kms on stock Bridgestones. I may be due for a tyre change soon. I have two questions- 1. Since Bridgestone served me well, any serious reasons for going for any other brand? If yes, recommendations?; 2. I am thinking of upgrading the size to 255 instead of 235 for the purpose of looks only. Any views on this?

Thanks in advance all of you!
Old 21st February 2018, 19:49   #259
Team-BHP Support

ank.nsit - Michelin had an AT which I don’t see any longer on their website, you may enquire with a dealer. Yokohama has a good AT tire. You may also try GoodYear Wrangler AT/SA, I am using the Wranglers in my S10 4WD and I am impressed with them for over 25,000 kms.
If Pirellis are available with recent manufacturing date, that is a pretty good option as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:14   #260
BHPian

Quote:
ank.nsit - Michelin had an AT which I don’t see any longer on their website, you may enquire with a dealer. Yokohama has a good AT tire. You may also try GoodYear Wrangler AT/SA, I am using the Wranglers in my S10 4WD and I am impressed with them for over 25,000 kms.
If Pirellis are available with recent manufacturing date, that is a pretty good option as well.
Thanks Sheel.
This is going to be my first SUV, so sorry for some very basic questions -

How to decide if I need AT tyres at all?
Is it that if it's an SUV, then it has to be AT tyres?

As my car is not going to be 4wd, so will AT tyres help me go places where normal tyres won't? Let's say light snow covered roads?
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:20   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

As my car is not going to be 4wd, so will AT tyres help me go places where normal tyres won't? Let's say light snow covered roads?
You are always welcome

You need AT tires if you venture a bit off the road which has loose sand/soil or some slush. If you mostly drive on good roads, there is a good highway tire from Michelin, perhaps a Primacy SUV tire.

AT tires will help you at places where you would need traction and a normal HT tire won't be able to provide, as you said snow, loose mud/sand, slush. An AT will cope with these situations much better and may prove to be an advantage and also help in going places where a normal HT might not be able to.

The drawbacks maybe a slightly low FE, maybe by ~1kmpl and a bit of noise when the tire is new, else its positives [at least in my books] far outweigh its negatives.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:24   #262
BHPian

Quote:

AT tires will help you at places where you would need traction and a normal HT tire won't be able to provide, as you said snow, loose mud/sand, slush. An AT will cope with these situations much better and may prove to be an advantage and also help in going places where a normal HT might not be able to.

The drawbacks maybe a slightly low FE, maybe by ~1kmpl and a bit of noise when the tire is new, else its positives [at least in my books] far outweigh its negatives.
Thanks Sheel once again. AT tyres it is then.

In general I have heard pretty bad reviews about all models of GoodYear tyres. But GoodYear Wranglers AT seem to be one of the popular choices among the bhpians with XUV/Scorpio.

Also searching on net with the XUV tyre size, the only 2 options that come out are the Goodyear wranglers and yokohama geolanders.

How to identify if the tyres are the AT ones?
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:42   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

How to identify if the tyres are the AT ones?
Tread design wise, it will have more blocks/treads than your regular highway tire. And an AT letter will be stamped in the sidewall.
For eg GoodYear Wrangler AT/SA
Yokohama Geolander AT-S
Old 12th March 2018, 22:58   #264
BHPian

Changed my XUV500 tyres from Bridgestone Dueler HT to Continental CrossContact LX2 108H. Got these at a discounted price as the dealer is a friend of mine and he got this as a dealer offer from the company. Got these for 10k per Tyre with a buy back of 5k to my existing Bridgestone Dueler which has clocked 23k and the spare was replaced with Tyre to Tyre as it was not used at all till date. Had paid 20k in total including balancing, alignment and nitro. There is a sea change in the ride and comfort levels. The tyres are super silent on high way speeds and the cushioning is excellent.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre1.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre2.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre3.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre4.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre5.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre6.jpg
Old 13th March 2018, 12:07   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
Changed my XUV500 tyres from Bridgestone Dueler HT to Continental CrossContact LX2 108H.
Another option joins the list for tire choices for XUV & Scorpio.

Were Cross Contact AT's available, can you please find out if they are available or not?
Old 13th March 2018, 18:58   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Another option joins the list for tire choices for XUV & Scorpio.

Were Cross Contact AT's available, can you please find out if they are available or not?
AT's in 235/65R17 is not available in Cross Contact as per my dealer friend.
Old 18th March 2018, 15:41   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sheel.
This is going to be my first SUV, so sorry for some very basic questions -

Hey ank.nsit

I strongly urge you to go for AT tyres on XUV. After >80000 on my W82wd, I can tell you that braking is not a strong point for the 2 tonne giant. You need grippy tyres both on road and off road. AT tyres give you a great way to increase grip even with 2wd. Sidewall strength and chunkier blocks also ensure tyres can handle a lot more abuse than road focused tyres. To answer your second question, unless you drive in sand or solid snow, these tyres should be able to do most journeys in india. I have done Spiti and Gurudongmar on Pirelli Scorpion ATRs and never missed 4wd.

As a side note, I had posted a few weeks back that I am going to run my ATRs to the full 50ks. I just completed those and my tyre guy confirmed they are perfect for atleast 5ks more! So I am gonna push them for 5ks more. I am a great advocate of these tyres and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
Changed my XUV500 tyres from Bridgestone Dueler HT to Continental CrossContact LX2 108H. Got these at a discounted price as the dealer is a friend of mine and he got this as a dealer offer from the company...
These look like the Cross Contact UHPs. The tread does not look AT. I can confirm Cross Contact ATs are available in vashi. I think there are available in XUVs size.

Other ATs available are

Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Yoko Geolander AT
Goodyear Wrangler ATSA
Michelin LTX series

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 18th March 2018 at 21:53. Reason: Merging back to back posts
vikram31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 21:01   #268
Team-BHP Support

^Michelin’s official website for India doesn’t show the LTX series any more. It would be nice if they are available.
Old 18th March 2018, 23:34   #269
BHPian

These look like the Cross Contact UHPs. The tread does not look AT. I can confirm Cross Contact ATs are available in vashi. I think there are available in XUVs size.

Yes, mine are Cross Contact UHP's HT pattern and not AT. When I checkout, I could find 235/70R16 in AT but were unavailable in 17 inch size.
Old 21st March 2018, 11:40   #270
BHPian

Hi guys, on the road today I found my XUV was bouncing a lot more than usual, also wheels were losing traction and the vehicle was sliding to the left. An inspection revealed that the side walls have eroded significantly on the front left wheel and they are almost at end of life for the front right wheel. The Pirelli Scorpion ATRs completed 48ks so far. I have decided to change them now rather than wait for the last mile.

Went out for an in-person research to multiple brand shops and here are the feelers:

* Cont Cross Contact AT - Available only on order. No one was keen to sell them and was peddling UHPs. Pricing > 14000 which is steep given competitive products were at much better pricing
* Michelin Latitude Cross - Not available in the 235/65/17 size any more. Primacy SUV isnt AT at all
* Pirelli Scorpion ATR - Available for ~12k a piece - The dealer still swears by this tyre over any other brand
* Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA - Menacing looking tyres. Indian rubber doesnt give the comfort. Priced accordingly @ 10k a piece. Even the imported rubber edition has good but not great reviews. I am going to give this a miss as I have felt a world of difference between imported vs indian rubber tyres
* Yoko Geolander G015 - This was the biggest revelation. Apparently the earlier series Geolander AT-S was coded G012 and the co took a lot of feedback around sidewall damage, wear and tear, ride comfort etc and have introduced a revamped product in 2016. Apparently they have added orange oil compound to the rubber to improve ride quality and ability to handle high temperatures. Online reviews are amazing and not more than 5% people complaining. When I was buying the Pirellis 2.5 yrs ago the Geolander AT-S was not available in XUVs size but the G015 are. Even though these are new in the market and enough feedback is not available, I think the fact that the co has improved on customer feedback makes me want to buy these. Yoko is anyway known for quality and I am going to go for these. Available @ 12250 all incl

Guys any thoughts on the above? If nothing, I will settle for the Yokos for this change..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks