Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 11:53   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Can you please share the total cost and where you got them from? I am looking for same in Bangalore.

Meanwhile a general question to all - Bridgestone Duelers go sometimes upto 1 lac+ km as per this thread and on the other hand a Michelin goes 40 to 70k kms. By normal calculation does it simply mean that Michelin being a soft compound tyre offers MUCH MUCH more grip than Bridgestone Duelers? I own the plush new xuv hardly 2 months old, but don't have much confidence at high speeds especially while braking and cornering with the Bridgestone Duelers.

A SWAP OFFER IN HAND - My friend (read as best friend ) in Noida needs to change his worn out tyres but doesnt want to invest much since he is planning to sell it off in 6 months to 1 yr. So we thought of a super swap where I take the new Michelin's in Blr and courier my Bridgestone Duelers to him to Noida! My net investment after swap is around 17-20k, so just wondering whether I should just let go my almost new Bridgestone Duelers since I have hardly done 5k kms so far.

Please advice.

First of all i had to shell out a Rs 51,400/- for my set of 4 Michelin Primacy SUV tyres. I bought mine through outlet called Tyre Empire in whitefield. The cost of Michelins are higher than that of the Yokohamas and other brands, even the Michelin LTX forcecost the same which are AT tyres. These guys were quite knowledgeable as well compared to other dealers and cost wise also i found all dealers quoting the same. Also got a Michelin tyre inflator as complimentary for online booking there. I found their machinery for balancing, alignment, to be quite high tech and the guys were professional did excellent job.

Regarding Bridgestone Duellers you are right they last really long, I changed mine at 75K KM and they were 5.5years old but still had decent amount of tread left. I could have have done another 15K Km without any issues. Since i do a lot of highway driving, i found it more sensible to get them changed and enjoy the benefits rather than driving around in doubt.

Bridgestone Duellers were really good and served me very well. They are much better in comparison to JK tyres and Apollo tyres that are being given as OEM tyres now for newer XUVs in terms of grip and noise levels. I have driven both JK and Apollo in friend's XUVs. Also i feel that you were fortunate that you get Bridgestone Duellers and mind you Bridgestone Duellers are not cheap either.

My suggestion in general would be to get the JKs and Apollos swapped immediately, but Bridgestone

Duellers are not bad as such. But in case you are really interested in swapping to Michelins and get a good deal for your Duellers, then go ahead with the swap you won't regret it at all.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2018 at 07:23. Reason: BS = Bridgestone. Please do NOT use such acronyms. Only full names please
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 14:16   #332

Could someone please comment on the overall quality of Pirelli Scorpions. These tyres appear to be much lighter than others and only slightly more expensive than Goodyear Wranglers.
Lighter tyres means better pick up and more mileage. I would like to know how long they last.
Request inputs please
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:55   #333
BHPian

After 5 Years and 70K Kms on my XUV500, replaced stock tyres(JK Elanzo) with the Michelin Primacy SUV 235/65r17 at Madhu's. Not a great Discount though but happy with the Purchase. Thanks to all the members who provided their feedback in this thread.
Ride is smooth with new shoes compared to earlier, however i believe the suspension needs replacement. Now started search for a good suspension. Checked for Tiens, but looks like they stopped selling for XUV .
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:51   #334
BHPian

Last weekend while at Yelagiri Hills, I saw a Gen 1 XUV with 255 60 r17 Michellin lattitude sports on the stock alloys. It did not show any untoward bulges. Has anyone tried this size upgrade? Please share feedback.

PS: my XUV is behaving horrible under emergency braking in triple digit speeds with the stock BS Duelers. The same feedback I got from my brother and my friend as well while we were on different trips in my xuv.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:05   #335
BHPian

Hi All,

I HIT TROUBLE. Need urgent help!

I upsized to 255 60 R17 Michelin Lattitude Sports 3 last week.

UPs
- Outstanding grip, vehicle feels planted
- Outstanding braking, no skids at all. Feeling of anchoring while braking at triple digits unlike earlier 'scare' with 235
- Even from standstill where it had wheel spin on flooring, now it just wont! Amazing.
Wish I could be happy with above points :(

DOWNs
- Even on slight banking of the road, the vehicle swerves or pulls to that direction. Mostly evident towards left since roads have banking sloped towards left. Initially it felt like mis alignment (pulling to the left feeling), but firstly it was dealt with one of the top shops in Bangalore (for around 4 hours, including 7 test drives, 5 rounds of tyre rotation and multiple rounds of alignment) and then I even tried luck at Mahindra as well today. Everyone says alignment is correct but vehicle pulls to the left on most roads with some exceptions. Mahindra guy explained that XUV has this issue (which is actually issue with banked roads), but my case got accentuated due to wider tyres.

Any of you with this experience please shed light on how to solve this. Very urgent because as of now tyre is hardly 3 days in use and as days progress, it will be a headache due to obvious reasons.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 10th December 2018 at 19:28.
Old 13th December 2018, 11:45   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I HIT TROUBLE. Need urgent help!

I upsized to 255 60 R17 Michelin Lattitude Sports 3 last week.

DOWNs
- Even on slight banking of the road, the vehicle swerves or pulls to that direction. Mostly evident towards left since roads have banking sloped towards left. Initially it felt like mis alignment (pulling to the left feeling), but firstly it was dealt with one of the top shops in Bangalore (for around 4 hours, including 7 test drives, 5 rounds of tyre rotation and multiple rounds of alignment) and then I even tried luck at Mahindra as well today. Everyone says alignment is correct but vehicle pulls to the left on most roads with some exceptions. Mahindra guy explained that XUV has this issue (which is actually issue with banked roads), but my case got accentuated due to wider tyres.

Any of you with this experience please shed light on how to solve this. Very urgent because as of now tyre is hardly 3 days in use and as days progress, it will be a headache due to obvious reasons.

My tyre upsize is turning into a nightmare. The latest finding is that the vehicle left wheel base is shorter by 13mm which is causing the pull.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20181211-5.30.04-pm.jpeg

After running from pillar to post, 2 Mahindra service centres, finally the tyre shop themselves found this issue. Initially Mahindra was reluctant to fix this citing 255 tyres, but then luckily the tyre shop returned my stock tyres and I went to Mahindra with those. Currently vehicle is in body shop to fix this. They claim that suspension has to be readjusted to fix this.

It is quite strange that I realised this pull only after upsizing. Going back to stock, I could easily make out the left pull on stock tyres as well. Now Mahindra is blaming the tyre shop for this. It is 100% sure that I did not have the left pull earlier on stock because I had an issue with alloys earlier (and all 4 alloys were replaced) which was dealt with Mahindra technical panel (not dealer, Mahindra Technial panel directly flew down from Pune after my supreme escalation) just few weeks back and they had tested the car thoroughly as well. I dont remember falling into any pothole or bump at high speeds either recently.

Now Mahindra has taken a stand that if I go back to 255, issue may return. After spending a bomb on the Michelins, I am now caught between the devil and the sea. Only if any of my fellow team bhp members had give me a proper feedback on this upgrade, I would have been saved.

SO anyone looking for upsize to 255 on XUV500, please do it at your own risk. I spoke to a team bhp member who was running on 255 and he has the same issue as well, unfortunately this was not discussed/highlighted before my upsize during the conversation with him.

I will get back the vehicle today and I will keep you posted. Fingers crossed! Meanwhile any inputs will be gold at this point from Team BHP gurus.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 13th December 2018 at 11:53.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 02:58   #337
BHPian

Quote:
My tyre upsize is turning into a nightmare. The latest finding is that the vehicle left wheel base is shorter by 13mm which is causing the pull.

Attachment 1827325

After running from pillar to post, 2 Mahindra service centres, finally the tyre shop themselves found this issue. Initially Mahindra was reluctant to fix this citing 255 tyres, but then luckily the tyre shop returned my stock tyres and I went to Mahindra with those. Currently vehicle is in body shop to fix this. They claim that suspension has to be readjusted to fix this.

Now Mahindra has taken a stand that if I go back to 255, issue may return. After spending a bomb on the Michelins, I am now caught between the devil and the sea. Only if any of my fellow team bhp members had give me a proper feedback on this upgrade, I would have been saved.

SO anyone looking for upsize to 255 on XUV500, please do it at your own risk. I spoke to a team bhp member who was running on 255 and he has the same issue as well, unfortunately this was not discussed/highlighted before my upsize during the conversation with him.

I will get back the vehicle today and I will keep you posted. Fingers crossed! Meanwhile any inputs will be gold at this point from Team BHP gurus.

Hi
Just back from my trip. Was about to reply to your previous post when I saw this. I was about to suggest the same thing. Get your chasis / suspension checked. I had the same issue in my scorpio where the vehicle was pulling to left inspite of all inspections and corrections. Finally it was a local garage guy who found the chasis had got cut at the spot where the suspension / tyre is fixed to the chasis.

13mm difference in wheel base is too much adjust using methods like tyre air pressure, wheel rotation, etc. Must be some manufacturing defect.

When I had my 255, the drag was on the direction of the road camber. Not to a fixed direction (left or right). This usually happens when there is unequal pressure between the different tyres. Hence I suggested the idea of unequal tyre pressure. Sorry if I hadnt given you the full story when we spoke. I am sure, the 255s will work well after the chasis correction.

Maybe the extra width of the tyre accentuated the pull to the left.
I am pretty sure I will upgrade to 255 once my stock tyres wear out (cost accommodating). Also the Hancook I used seemed to be softer than the stock tyres. Is the Michellin you used hard or soft compiund? I always try for a combination which will suit both highway and farm road driving.
Old 14th December 2018, 08:48   #338
BHPian

Quote:

Sad to hear about your predicament. But this issue was discussed in an earlier post in this thread.

Hindsight, you should have searched for this on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
With increased width the already tight wheel well space is going to be compromised.

Upsizing blindly for Handling improvement is not always a good thing, sometimes it also ends up in spoiling the handling balance especially in high COG SUV's where some amount of roll is more preferable than too much grip which may result in roll over.

These won't be a big bother.

XUV is not under tyred, although OE Bridgestone Dueler tyres start squealing early but grip levels are no bad at all, I've done a lot of hard cornering in both OE tyres and Scorpions. I wouldn't recommend a wider patch.
Old 16th December 2018, 10:41   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Hi
Sorry if I hadnt given you the full story when we spoke. I am sure, the 255s will work well after the chasis correction.

Also the Hancook I used seemed to be softer than the stock tyres. Is the Michellin you used hard or soft compiund? I always try for a combination which will suit both highway and farm road driving.
Thats ok mate. It happens. Thanks for your inputs. Yes Michelin is soft compound. It has terrific road grip and soft side walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Sad to hear about your predicament. But this issue was discussed in an earlier post in this thread.

Hindsight, you should have searched for this on this thread.

Thanks for your empathy. I had read through the entire 23 pages of this thread before purchase. There are no mentions of this drag or pull which went unfixed. In fact very few went for this 255 upsize and they were happy (in their own ways). I had connected with a couple of them as well to check and it was confirmed all ok as well. May be I am unfortunate.

However I counter the points of Anshuman (which you quoted) with the following :-

1) Upsizing blindly for Handling improvement is not always a good thing, sometimes it also ends up in spoiling the handling balance especially in high COG SUV's
Not applicable in the case of XUV500 with 255 profiles. I did quite a few test drives, hard brakings at upper triple speeds, zig zags in lane. XUV behaved like a Skoda Octavia! Steering gave more feedback, it felt planted. Simplest proof is that usually on stock when you floor from standstill, you get wheel spin, but on 255 you just CANT!

2) XUV is not under tyred, although OE Bridgestone Dueler tyres start squealing early but grip levels are no bad at all, I've done a lot of hard cornering in both OE tyres and Scorpions. I wouldn't recommend a wider patch.
Braking concern is based on one's own driving style and perception of safety. I have big time concern with high speed stopping power of XUV. It stops in time, but only just in time. It sends chills down the spine. On 255, it 'anchors' down on the road. I drive safely generally but when I get vacant patches, I give it the beans. However on Indian roads, you can expect anything to jump in between, like a moron Volvo bus driver on phone who just cuts from left to right lane. I almost froze to death atleast 5 times in last 3 months of my ownership of the vehicle and two other people who drove my vehicle on long drives (my own brother and my close buddy), both had close shaves too. Hence the upsize and I am 100% satisfied with the outcome except for this left drag In fact had it went all ok, I would have added a MUST TO DO upsize advice for XUV500.

UPDATE: 8 days of pain, more than 20 hours of 'standing' at the workshop or tyre shop, missed days at work, nothing is working out. Twice I stepped in to shop with "all ok" vehicle on 235s. But the moment we put 255, it pulls to the left. Mahindra says all ok with the vehicle, tyre shop says otherwise. I am still trying to figure this out, I should have a solution by next week. Will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 16th December 2018 at 10:43.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 21:07   #340
BHPian

Finally at 1,30,000kms I changed the Bridgestone Dueler on my XUV5OO with a new set of ContiCross Contact LX2.

My experience with the BSD has been great. They have exceptional life, excellent value for money, smooth on the highway at high speeds, no noise, great braking and handling. The old tires could have still done another 5k but there were cracks developing. Though I wasn't facing any issues I just decided my safety was more important then waiting for the tires actual lifespan. To my credit I always ensured 32psi tire pressure, regular wheel alignment and tire rotation at each service.

I intended to stay loyal with BS and replace my wheels with another set of new BSD but got a great deal from my local dealer on the Continental tires and had read great reviews so decided to give them a try. Have done a few 100 kms on the ContiCross Contact LX2 so far and the experience is good. They are very smooth. Looking forward to my long drives.

While in the market I considered the below in the exact order
1) Bridgestone
2) Michelin
3) Continental

Reviews on Teambhp and on the street say Michelin tires don't have strong sidewalls so decided to stay away. I wasn't interested in AT tires as 99% of the time behind the wheels in on tarmac.

My word of advise to XUV 5OO owners with stock BSD tires, don't replace them. Until unless you frequently travel to areas where AT tires are required, BSD HT tires checks almost all boxes.
dragstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 16:45   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Thats ok mate. It happens. Thanks for your inputs. Yes Michelin is soft compound. It has terrific road grip and soft side walls.

Thanks for your empathy. I had read through the entire 23 pages of this thread before purchase. There are no mentions of this drag or pull which went unfixed. In fact very few went for this 255 upsize and they were happy (in their own ways). I had connected with a couple of them as well to check and it was confirmed all ok as well. May be I am unfortunate.

However I counter the points of Anshuman (which you quoted) with the following :-

1) Upsizing blindly for Handling improvement is not always a good thing, sometimes it also ends up in spoiling the handling balance especially in high COG SUV's
Not applicable in the case of XUV500 with 255 profiles. I did quite a few test drives, hard brakings at upper triple speeds, zig zags in lane. XUV behaved like a Skoda Octavia! Steering gave more feedback, it felt planted. Simplest proof is that usually on stock when you floor from standstill, you get wheel spin, but on 255 you just CANT!

2) XUV is not under tyred, although OE Bridgestone Dueler tyres start squealing early but grip levels are no bad at all, I've done a lot of hard cornering in both OE tyres and Scorpions. I wouldn't recommend a wider patch.
Braking concern is based on one's own driving style and perception of safety. I have big time concern with high speed stopping power of XUV. It stops in time, but only just in time. It sends chills down the spine. On 255, it 'anchors' down on the road. I drive safely generally but when I get vacant patches, I give it the beans. However on Indian roads, you can expect anything to jump in between, like a moron Volvo bus driver on phone who just cuts from left to right lane. I almost froze to death atleast 5 times in last 3 months of my ownership of the vehicle and two other people who drove my vehicle on long drives (my own brother and my close buddy), both had close shaves too. Hence the upsize and I am 100% satisfied with the outcome except for this left drag In fact had it went all ok, I would have added a MUST TO DO upsize advice for XUV500.

UPDATE: 8 days of pain, more than 20 hours of 'standing' at the workshop or tyre shop, missed days at work, nothing is working out. Twice I stepped in to shop with "all ok" vehicle on 235s. But the moment we put 255, it pulls to the left. Mahindra says all ok with the vehicle, tyre shop says otherwise. I am still trying to figure this out, I should have a solution by next week. Will keep everyone updated.
Sorry I was away from Team BHP for sometime. The final update is that, I returned the 255 profile tyres and returned to stock BSD 235. All back good again.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 17:48   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
Reviews on Teambhp and on the street say Michelin tires don't have strong sidewalls so decided to stay away.
For Yokohama, this might be true, but Michelin has been satisfactory and positive in this aspect. Few friends [apart from forum] who have 4WD's and are using AT's from Michelin and they do not have this complaint. They have this complaint from Yokohama and from Continental as well. Link. (All-Terrain Tyres for the Tata Hexa)

Quote:
Sorry I was away from Team BHP for sometime. The final update is that, I returned the 255 profile tyres and returned to stock BSD 235. All back good again.
Glad your issue is sorted, sorry you couldn't get much help here, but believe, the tolerance for XUV is restricted to 235 section [and it is decently wide in at AT format].
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:53   #343
BHPian

Upgraded my W6 with a new set of Michelin Primacy HT tyres. The Elanzos had neared the end of their utility although I could have used them for another 5000 kms. The grip was always a problem and there was this annoying issue of the car veering to the left (despite regular balancing and alignment). The noise levels were on the higher side as well.

I went to Madhus on Langford road yesterday with the intention of getting the wheel alignment done before my drive to Manipal next week. I ended up buying the Michelins. The dealer offered them at Rs 13k/tyre and threw in a Michelin tyre inflator for free. It seemed like a decent deal.

I've driven only around 15kms so far and I can sense a marked improvement in how the car rides. Better grip, significantly lower noise and improved braking. I'm really looking forward to how she rides on the highway.
Old 21st March 2019, 14:29   #344
BHPian

Friends,
Since most queries are about upsizing, I have a query about downsizing.
Can we fit 245/75/R16 or 245/70/R16 on XUV? The overall difference between the stock 235/65/R17 and the 245/75/R16 is not too much. The advantages are
- Better ride
-Increase in GC
The disadvantage could be handling. Has anyone tried this? What do the experts think?
Regards
Powertrain

P. S - I guess only JK makes 245/75/R16. Are these good?

Last edited by powertrain : 21st March 2019 at 14:50.
Old 23rd March 2019, 15:37   #345
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Today I replaced tires of my XUV500 from stock JK tires to Michelin Primacy SUV. It took a while to zero on Primacy SUV, out of the two that made to the final list.
Bridgestone Duller – Due to its long life, I have heard folks doing over 100K kms on these tires
Michelin Primacy SUV – Due to its brand, recommendations and smooth low noise feature.
Both the pricing were almost equal. My JK stock tires had clocked 67K kms with 50-50 between highway and city travel

Total Cost – 12,200/- per tyre
Location – Tyre Wold, TC Palya Main Road
Additional work included – WA & WB

I am yet to take it out for a spin, will provide my feedback after doing 500 kms.

In the last 5 months I was advised not to take this on the highway, it was restricted to city travel. Looking at the tyres you know why

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20190323_114532.jpg

New Shoes

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20190323_110817.jpg

Tyre rotation technique
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20190323_112945.jpg

Most Viewed