Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2020, 22:28   #391
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

After changing my steeds tires from the stock Bridgestone to Continental about a year back, have driven it for about 45k KMS which was mostly on highways with some real bad patches. Front set had a bit more wear than that of the rear and was not having the kind of comfort that I used to have before. Contacted my tire guy who gave me a good deal on the Michelin 255/60/R17 Latitude Sport 3. He took Michelin dealership and got the said set of tires under dealer discounted price. Michelin costed me 12k per tire and continental buy back fetched me 10k.
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-conti.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-conti1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-michelin.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-michelin1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-xuv.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 20th February 2020 at 23:54. Reason: Typos. Please proofread your messages before posting
Old 14th February 2020, 16:13   #392
BHPian

Guys, our XUV5OO (W6) 2014, running on OEM tyres has clocked around 58k km. The tyres are due for change. Can you please suggest as to which brand and type to go to? Let's say that the car undergoes 60% highway travel, 25% city duty and 15% rural use. Also please suggest a nice set of alloys.
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:50   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Guys, our XUV5OO (W6) 2014, running on OEM tyres has clocked around 58k km. The tyres are due for change. Can you please suggest as to which brand and type to go to? Let's say that the car undergoes 60% highway travel, 25% city duty and 15% rural use. Also please suggest a nice set of alloys.
Go for Michelin LTX Force AT tyres. Probably the best you can have.
SaurabhB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 22:08   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueTwist View Post
After changing my steeds tires from the stock Bridgestone to Continental about a year back, have driven it for about 45k KMS which was mostly on highways with some real bad patches.
Hi. I am also thinking of buying the continental uhp tyres for my xuv. How was your experience with these tyres? Do you recommend getting them?

Last edited by Sheel : 24th March 2020 at 18:46. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:26   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
Go for Michelin LTX Force AT tyres. Probably the best you can have.
Hi SaurabhB, Also consider the Yoko Geolandar G015 in OEM size. I just got my rebalancing and alignment done after 55k and my tyre dealer said good to go for another 10-15k! Exemplary grip and soft ride quality remains good as new even after this usage.

On Mich's feedback overall is great but I got feedback from the dealer that te LTX Force tyres have absorbed tech from goodrich and hence dont have Michelin DNA from an engineering perspective. Eitherways he said that his pref would be Yoko over Mich and both should keep you happy. Mich's should cost 500-1k inr above yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead6996 View Post
My Feb 2013 W8 has Apollo as the stock tyres.
Have done 48000 Kms, mostly on highways including Yamuna expressway. It also had adequate share of bad roads and a bit of off-roading too.
Didn't have any worthwhile issues with the tyres till 43 K when two of the tyres developed leakages. I got 5-6 punctures fixed in each but the
- Yokohama Geolander ATS GO 15
- Goodyear Wrangler AT.

- reliable dealers in NCR.
Thanks and regards to all.
Hi arrowhead6996, Wrangler AT are indian rubber tyres and at the bottom of the pyramid in terms of price range. Indian rubber ATs might become harsher after reaching 50% of life (25-30k kms) - if you plan to keep your car for another 50k+ kms go for Geolandars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_500 View Post
Hello friends,

I drive a 2015 Dec W6 XUV and have clocked 52,000 kilometers on Bridgestone tyres on 17" Steel Rims which came as OEM fitment. I have been considering replacing the tyres & rims with alloys and wanted some guidance as follows:
  • suggestions on alternative comparable brands / models will be really helpful.
Thanks in advance guys!
Quote:
[*]Can I fit the 18" alloy provided on the new-gen W11 variant nowadays? Will there be any implications on tyre or suspension?
- I dont think the retrofit is a good idea. I have driven the plush (new version) running on 18" wheels - ride quality is worse than 17"
Quote:
[*]If above answer is YES, can I couple them with Michelin Primacy SUV tyres and expect good results?
- michelin's should always add to right comfort - both ht and at versions
Quote:
[*]If above answer is NO, then I would like to consider 17" alloys from non-OEM shops but a lot of them seem to be selling Chinese brands. Any suggestions on their reliability OR alternative brands will really help.
- Neo, Enkei, MOMO are some of the better brands as long as you are getting originals with bills - XUV is a very heavy car - pls buy designs with chunky spokes and not thin ones (the ones xuv launched originally as addons were dangerous) - see: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...nt-recall.html (XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!)
Quote:
[*]My online research tells me that Michelin Primacy are great tyres, any
- Michelin primacy are fantastic on road tyres - another good choice for tarmac driving is pirelli scorpion verde (you may get better deals).

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please quote your replies properly, you may number out your replies in one quote / reply.

Thank You.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th March 2020 at 18:50. Reason: Please properly quote your replies.
Old 24th March 2020, 18:39   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartikaygaur View Post
After changing my steeds tires from the stock Bridgestone to Continental about a year back, have driven it for about 45k KMS which was mostly on highways with some real bad patches.

Hi. I am also thinking of buying the continental uhp tyres for my xuv. How was your experience with these tyres? Do you recommend getting them?
You can go ahead with Continental UHP. They are very good on highways and offer better grip and comfort.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th March 2020 at 18:47. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
TorqueTwist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 09:33   #397
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded their W11(O) R18 tyres?
I am looking for a better performance, slightly upgraded GC and width without losing out on any performance.
I've done 13k with the stock tyres so far.
Old 25th June 2020, 07:04   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
After long research, various suggestions and my usage in mind, I chose to go with the Michelin Primacy SUV tyres for my XUV as my usage is primarily for highway runs. Also I felt the AT tyres may not offer the low noise level, grip, and braking performance that i require.
Sir, just needed an update. How are the Michelins doing?
Our 2014 XUV5OO W6 also has a similar usage pattern.
As I have mentioned earlier, 60% highway travel, 25% city duty and 15% rural use. Is it durable? And wanted to know about high-speed stability and braking. Also is there any side-wall issue?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th June 2020 at 07:10. Reason: fixed quote
SNOWY227 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:21   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Sir, just needed an update. How are the Michelins doing?
Our 2014 XUV5OO W6 also has a similar usage pattern.
As I have mentioned earlier, 60% highway travel, 25% city duty and 15% rural use. Is it durable? And wanted to know about high-speed stability and braking. Also is there any side-wall issue?
I have done about 10,000 KM on the Michelin now, and I can very confidently say that these are the best ones I owned.
Firstly on highway speeds I feel much more confidence and grip levels are better, even on a wet roads it holds very true.
The road noise is also relatively lower as compared to my previous set of Bridgestones. Braking is also improved, as they grip better and no screeching noise. I even feel the ride quality has improved. I think Michelins softer compound definitely helps. No side wall issues i experienced, thouch wood.

About durability only time will tell, as it has to go a long way still. Keeping in mind that the my OEM Bridgestones were still in good shape at 75K KM and could have done even more 10K KM in my opinion!
But that being said at 10K KM also i can see the wear is not much at all, but i doubt if it will last so many kilometers as the harder Bridgestones do.
But keeping in mind your requirements, I strongly recommend you go with Michelin.
Also as an icing on the cake, I got a Michelin tyre inflator complimentary with set of 4 tyres. It works like charm, so do check with dealer for it.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:42   #400
Senior - BHPian

Finally got her some new shoes after all these years. A friend who has a detailing store in delhi arranged these (almost new) rims for me at a very good price.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1596184798232.jpg  

faithless_1984 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:29   #401
BHPian

Query - How many punctures is safe enough ?

Hi everyone - My Yoko GO15s have done 56k now and look good for another 5ks

I had 3 puntures in my front right tyre and when the tyre was being fixed I counted that in my last 2.5 odd years of ownership of these tyres, this particular tyre has seen 14-15 punctures!!

It got me thinking whether this tyre could actually be a safety hazard on the highway. Typically I dont cross 100 on any road including the Pune expressway but truth be told there are always a few mins where the speedo touches 120 as well.

Wondering if Maharashtra potholed highways couples with tyres strewn with over a dozen punctures and completed nearly 60ks is a recipe for disaster. Experts, please opine if you think this is potentially unsafe..

BTW I just got the 140ks wheel balancing and alignment done and the tyre shop confirmed that the tyre tread is in excellent health and will easily give me 5-10k more
Old 12th September 2020, 20:49   #402
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post

Just. Sharing my tyre experience with my XUV500AT(2017 W6 Model) and clocked around 108k kms.

The car came with Apollo Apterra tyres and I used them for around 45k kms. The ownership of this wasn't pleasant, too much road noise, bad grip, multiple punctures. Then i changed to Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055 and they lasted a good 65k kms. Though my experience was pleasant (No punctures/uneven wear), they became noisy post 50k kms.

I read multiple posts about fellow bhpians experience with Michelin being quite and having good grip, I recently changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Suv(235/65R17 108V), It costed me around 12k per tyre. So far the experience is good. Excellent steering feedback, absolutely quite.
DieselWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:07   #403
BHPian

Finally changed the stock Bridgestone duellers today. Ran 92K km and still had some life left. However, the ride quality had become pretty poor. Changed to new MRF Wanderer.
Old 21st September 2020, 12:51   #404
BHPian

Good Day Guys,

How old is considered as old for new tyres? With Corona, imported tyres availability is getting tough.

I am in a Tier-2 city (Karur) in Tamil Nadu and here, I was looking for new tyres for my XUV 500. Stock Tyres Bridgestone has done 79k and my car badly needs new tyres now.

I have narrowed down to Yoko Geolander G015 and it will cost me 11k per tyre here. The dealer arranged the tyres from Yoko dealer in Mangalore.

Today, when i went to change the tyres, I noticed
- 2 of them are made in Week 34, 2019
- 1 made in Week 33, 2019
- 1 made in Week 18, 2019

I am really skeptical in going ahead with the purchase and told the dealer that I need some more time.

Even Michellin stock for R17/235/65 is from 2019.

Should i go ahead with the purchase? Any expert opinions guys?
Old 29th September 2020, 10:52   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Good Day Guys,

How old is considered as old for new tyres? With Corona, imported tyres availability is getting tough.

I am in a Tier-2 city (Karur) in Tamil Nadu and here, I was looking for new tyres for my XUV 500. Stock Tyres Bridgestone has done 79k and my car badly needs new tyres now.

I have narrowed down to Yoko Geolander G015 and it will cost me 11k per tyre here. The dealer arranged the tyres from Yoko dealer in Mangalore.

Today, when i went to change the tyres, I noticed
- 2 of them are made in Week 34, 2019
- 1 made in Week 33, 2019
- 1 made in Week 18, 2019

I am really skeptical in going ahead with the purchase and told the dealer that I need some more time.

Even Michellin stock for R17/235/65 is from 2019.

Should i go ahead with the purchase? Any expert opinions guys?
Looks like Yokohama has increased the production numbers in India. I was able to get the Indian Made Geolandar G015 WW3320 made rubbers yesterday at INR 11,000 per piece.

I expected a decrease in pricing when compared with the imported ones. But the dealer said they havent received any update on pricing. So, they billed me at INR 11000 x 4.

I will share my driving experience with new shoes in about a week.

Old Stock tyres. 5 Years and 79300+ KMS
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20200929-10.47.27-am-1.jpeg

New Yokohama Geolandar G015
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20200929-10.47.27-am.jpeg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20200929-10.47.26-am-2.jpeg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20200929-10.47.26-am-1.jpeg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20200929-10.47.26-am.jpeg

Thanks TBHP community !!!

Most Viewed