Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2021, 17:43   #421

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks Twiny. Yes, the only challenge is I leave for Spiti in less than 10 days and I am not sure if they will survive the trip. Hence the confusion and urgency.

Head says, why should they not survive and heart says, don't take chances man, get a replacement and enjoy the trip peacefully.

Hence left it to the forum for suggestions.
Old 17th June 2021, 18:27   #422
BHPian

What are some good options for the 18inch wheels in the W11 variant?
Old 20th June 2021, 21:54   #423

Update :

After a lot of deliberation and self convincing, I got XUV it's set of new shoes.

I took quotes from:

Premji, Thane
Tyrex
Super Tyres
Best tyres, Vashi
Pal tyres, Santacruz
Saifee tyres

Options considered:

Yokohama Geolandar 015 - available with all
Pirelli Scorpion Verde - available with saifee and Pal only
Continental CCLX2 - available with all
Michelin primacy suv - only available with Pal, that too in grey maket and non stock size - 245/65R17 107V

My preference would have been Michelin even if it was the most expensive of the lot - but the non stock size was a big deterent for me.

A/T was out of the race and then it was between Pirelli verde and conti CCLX2. Pirelli was 46800 for set of 4 with buyback for existing set and Conti CCLX2 was 37000 for set of 4 with buyback of existing set.

It was then quite easy to decide and I went for Conti CCLX2 and Trevor from Straight line helped me in getting the best deal.

I have driven about a 100kms since yesterday, but all in mumbai city with a combination of tarmac and cemented roads.

The ride is quite
The wheel spin on sudden acceleration has gone
Grip and braking better than the existing BS

However, The issue of left pulling has cropped up now. Will take it Trevor on during the week to get it resolved.
raj_1787 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 15:06   #424

Quick Update Friends:

Took the car to Trevor, he could not resolve the left pull.

I spoke to the Mahindra folks at Randhawa Motors. They were confident that alignment should solve the problem. I discussed with Trevor and he suggested to take the car to Mahindra and try.

Booked appointment at Randhawa Motors and spent a whole day 9 PM - 4 PM. They had dedicated a mechanic and a driver to test and I was with them whole day.

They used to align on Machine, take a test drive and then come back unsuccessful. They also noticed that the steering center was not calibrated, so they calibrated the steering.

They also rotated the tyres (although all 4 tyres were brand new, they were just trying luck).

Finally after almost 10 test drives, the final result was that on a completely flat road (with no left banking) the car drives in a straight line. However, even with a slight banking on the road towards the left, it starts drifting left above 60 KMPH.

I think I will have to live with it at least for the upcoming trip which is almost 5000km.

Will follow up with Mahindra folks again once I am back.
raj_1787 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 15:46   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_1787 View Post

I think I will have to live with it at least for the upcoming trip which is almost 5000km.

Will follow up with Mahindra folks again once I am back.
Take the vehicle to a manual alignment shop, they use a scale instead of computer and they are usually experts at it. Alignment is a specialized job, dealers can correct it only to a certain degree.
Old 25th June 2021, 15:50   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Take the vehicle to a manual alignment shop, they use a scale instead of computer and they are usually experts at it. Alignment is a specialized job, dealers can correct it only to a certain degree.
You will be surprised to hear this, but Randhawa motor's alignment machine was not working. They sent the car out to a tyre shop.
Old 25th June 2021, 16:08   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You will be surprised to hear this, but Randhawa motor's alignment machine was not working. They sent the car out to a tyre shop.
Usually they are not working - like I said, the normal technicians cannot make sense of it, whoever they train from say hunter or Elgi etc will not stay forever and then the equipment becomes dummy.

But - that is only seen if you have visited the dealership yourself , imagine what is happening for all the pickup and drop, ha ha!!

Tyre shops too with digital machines may or may not have a technician who can diagnose the problem and correct it, usually they only do toe in\out. You have new set of tyres and the problem has cropped up, I would say it may not be a Toe in\ out correction that is needed. If you were in Bangalore, I would have got you the right help. I suggest looking through TBHP directory for a reputed alignment shop or ask a tempo traveler driver where he does the alignment. I get all our vehicles done on manual scale with seasoned alignment technicians, car will track like a missile afterwards.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 21:29   #428
BHPian

Guys wanted to update - I had got new shoes fitted on my XUV in March 2021

Went for the Made in India Yoko Geolandar ATs again

The tyres came with a 2 year unconditional warranty

While in Goa last week, I accidently went over a metal strip and blew out my 3k km driven tyre. Given I was 200 mtrs from my residence, I slowly dragged the car with the flat tyre home.

I had retained my warranty number and went to my nearby Yoko dealer in Porvorim, Goa - Apex

They promptly clicked photos and uploaded for warranty and voila - I got a 70% value back for the blown out tyre and had to pay just 30% of a new tyre's value with additional 2 years unconditional warranty. also, even though the tyre was bought in Mumbai, I got a replacement within 2 days @ goa!

Once could argue that Yoko could have given me more value for the blown out tyre but in my experience, a blown out tyre of any brand due to customer error and not manufacturing defect will usually not get any benefits

Just cemented my trust further on this superb brand

Shout out to Sanghi Tyres in Vashi for their prompt support and arrangement of a quick callback from the Yoko Engineer

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210804_171938.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210804_171942.jpg
vikram31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:52   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Yokohama Geolandar 015 - available with all
Pirelli Scorpion Verde - available with saifee and Pal only
Continental CCLX2 - available with all
Michelin primacy suv - only available with Pal, that too in grey maket and non stock size - 245/65R17 107V

My preference would have been Michelin even if it was the most expensive of the lot - but the non stock size was a big deterent for me.
Which shop did you finally buy them from. I also need to change my XUV 500 tyres as the OEM Bridgestones have done 50,000 km and the ride is quite bumpy so was thinking of putting Continental CCLX2

Last edited by Sheel : 10th October 2021 at 14:39. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
manishverma0675 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:52   #430

I am looking for good replacements for my XUV5OO duelers. Very limited options available in the market due to import ban.

1> Maxxis Bravo AT 771 ~₹9500
2> Yokohama Geolander ATG015 ~₹12000.

Both have good reviews from many enthusiasts from Australia. But I see lot of complaints about side wall issues in India. Dealer said no warranty on sidewall damage unless manufacture fault. I have used 2 sets (8 tires) of Maxxix Bighorns MT 764 on our Bolero covering 160000Kms. Those were great tires. But don't have any info on their AT771. It would be great if any BHPians had any first hand experience on Bravo AT 771 performance.
There were JK and Goodyear as options but was not impressed with their thread patters. There was also a Chinese brand Linglong. I wouldn't want to go with that either.
Old 10th October 2021, 14:29   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind319 View Post
I am looking for good replacements for my XUV5OO duelers. Very limited options available in the market due to import ban.

There were JK and Goodyear as options but was not impressed with their thread patters. There was also a Chinese brand Linglong. I wouldn't want to go with that either.
Hi Arvind,
If you are open to Indian brand, take a look at Ceat.
Tread pattern similar to Michelin.
I replaced it last year & happy with its performance.
235/65R170 104H
Road noise reduces drastically,
Ride comfort improved.
Had an issue of pinhole manufacturing defect right at the replacement time when gone for trial after alignment at Ceat Shopee Dealer replaced without any fuss on the spot
Good VFM product from Ceat if you are not offroader.
Vijay T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:13   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay T View Post
Hi Arvind,
If you are open to Indian brand, take a look at Ceat.
Tread pattern similar to Michelin.
Good VFM product from Ceat if you are not offroader.
Thanks for the input Vijay. I forgot to mention, main reason to look for AT in my previous post. Here they are:

1> Approach road to our farm has pretty bad mud road with multiple small hill accent and descent (every trip feels like small Off-road event).
2> The stretch becomes slippery and slushy in monsoon, during which we can only commute on our Bolero with MT tiers.
3> We had MRF wanderers AT on our Bolero, lasted ~45k kms. Replaced by Maxxis Bighorn MT's which were one of the best MT tiers you can get without denting your pockets.
4> For XUV5OO I wouldn't want to go for MT's, as XUV is not frequently used as drive to farm but mostly on highways.
5> Couple of times XUV5OO with Bridgestone Dulers, had to use towed out by its older siblings Mahindra CL 550 MDI.

I had checked MRF & Ceat, but their pattern are not as aggressive as Maxxis Bravo or the Geolanders.
Arvind319 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:25   #433
BHPian

Hi All,

I have just upgraded the wheels of my 2015 Mar XUV 500 W4. I had the stock tyres (JK) which I used for around 60,000 kms (although I was an extremely bad user, with tubes being used for practically all tyres). Most of my travel was in city and through Rajasthan, for family trips. UK and HP used to be once a year max. A major issue I was facing with JK was that of punctures.

Recently, I have started frequenting these states much more and I needed some strong wheels. Chose between two options
1. Goodyear ATST - I had heard about these but was not very sure. Particularly since one dealer was trying extra hard to sell these for a price of 10k per tyre
2. Yokohama GO15 - These are pretty widely well reviewed and I had a higher level of confidence on these. Price was 11.5 k per tyre after some discounts.

Finalised the Yokos after reading the reviews here and speaking to a few friends who travel regularly on the Manali Ladakh route. Dealer was Tyre Planet in Dwarka, New Delhi.

Immediately found a difference in the handling and smoothness. Definitely very quiet tyres. Am going to UK in a couple of days and will update with a review. Fingers crossed till then.
Old 29th October 2021, 12:38   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishverma0675 View Post
Which shop did you finally buy them from. I also need to change my XUV 500 tyres as the OEM Bridgestones have done 50,000 km and the ride is quite bumpy so was thinking of putting Continental CCLX2
Hi Manish, Apologies for the late revert. I picked these up at the Straight Line (Santacruz). He himself does not stock any particular brand, but can arrange whichever you prefer and will even help you select as per your requirement
Old 29th November 2021, 10:51   #435
Senior - BHPian

Folks I am running my 2015 1st GEn XUV500 on original OEM Bridgestones and have clocked about 42000km. Yday during yearly balancing and alignment session the person pointed out cracks on the tread highlighting they are at end of their life. Tread depth is sufficient but rubber must have hardened. Attaching few pics. He recommended to limit highways or high speeds but I have a trip in 4 days so will drive but with caution.

Thoughts on urgency to change? Also what are recommended road tires for XUV500. I had Michelin in mind but shop keeper said they aren't being imported any more and suggested Continental.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20211128_175303-002.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20211128_175306.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks