Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 29th November 2021, 13:27   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

Thoughts on urgency to change? Also what are recommended road tires for XUV500. I had Michelin in mind but shop keeper said they aren't being imported any more and suggested Continental.
It does not appear to have any problems that prevent you from taking it on a trip, they are however due for a change.

Continental \ Yokohama is very aggressively marketing their products in India so the dealers have preferences for obvious reasons but you as an owner need to decide if it is worth paying the premium considering your usage.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:17   #437

As you pointed these this is the OEM set, it appears to be due for change (primarily looking at the cracks) as the rubber appears to have hardened and may also be passing on the load to the suspension.

If your upcoming trip is for a terrain which will have a lot of rocks, lose gravel then immediate replacement is recommended. If the trip will be mostly well laid tarmac then you can drive at cautious speeds and evaluate a replacement.

I went in for continental CCLX2 over geolander as I opted for comfortable ride quality and continental is doing the job well. I recently completed an Uttarakhand drive (1200 Kms) will good, bad and no roads and continentals were just fine.

However, evaluate your terrain and if you do more of bad/no roads go for geolander A/T.

Also, one major shortcoming that hit me after switching from OEM Bridgestone set to Continental CCLX2 - A left drift had creeped in which till date is unresolved despite multiple attempts.
Old 19th December 2021, 22:15   #438
BHPian

Folks, so I did a survey of the market on the weekend around Whitefield area in Bangalore. Went to 4 different stores out of which 2 are michelin dealers looking for HT 235 65 R17 for my XUV500. Outcome was this

1. Bridgestone Dueler HT - Available, same as my current OEM tyres which I dont want to buy again. Around 13K per tyre
2. Michelin Primacy SUV - Not available in that size for the last 1 yr and no line of sight but certainly the best HT option for XUV
3. Continental ContiCrossContact LX2 - Available and most recommended option due to similar characteristics as Michelin. Cost again around 13K and readily available fresh stocks since Made in India
4. Yoko Blueearth rv02 - Available but not recommended for heavy car like XUV500, more for Compact SUVs. Soft compound and wears fast

All other HT options like Yoko Advans are very expensive. So I am basically having only Conti CCLX2 as the option currently meeting my needs. Given that I dont have an urgency yet, will wait for a month or so and see if Michelin situation changes before taking the plunge.

Also folks are websites like https://www.tyremarket.com/Car-Tyres reliable? They do show availability for Michelin.

Last edited by supertinu : 19th December 2021 at 22:28.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed