Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2021, 13:27   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post

Thoughts on urgency to change? Also what are recommended road tires for XUV500. I had Michelin in mind but shop keeper said they aren't being imported any more and suggested Continental.
It does not appear to have any problems that prevent you from taking it on a trip, they are however due for a change.

Continental \ Yokohama is very aggressively marketing their products in India so the dealers have preferences for obvious reasons but you as an owner need to decide if it is worth paying the premium considering your usage.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:17   #437

As you pointed these this is the OEM set, it appears to be due for change (primarily looking at the cracks) as the rubber appears to have hardened and may also be passing on the load to the suspension.

If your upcoming trip is for a terrain which will have a lot of rocks, lose gravel then immediate replacement is recommended. If the trip will be mostly well laid tarmac then you can drive at cautious speeds and evaluate a replacement.

I went in for continental CCLX2 over geolander as I opted for comfortable ride quality and continental is doing the job well. I recently completed an Uttarakhand drive (1200 Kms) will good, bad and no roads and continentals were just fine.

However, evaluate your terrain and if you do more of bad/no roads go for geolander A/T.

Also, one major shortcoming that hit me after switching from OEM Bridgestone set to Continental CCLX2 - A left drift had creeped in which till date is unresolved despite multiple attempts.
raj_1787 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 22:15   #438
Senior - BHPian

Folks, so I did a survey of the market on the weekend around Whitefield area in Bangalore. Went to 4 different stores out of which 2 are michelin dealers looking for HT 235 65 R17 for my XUV500. Outcome was this

1. Bridgestone Dueler HT - Available, same as my current OEM tyres which I dont want to buy again. Around 13K per tyre
2. Michelin Primacy SUV - Not available in that size for the last 1 yr and no line of sight but certainly the best HT option for XUV
3. Continental ContiCrossContact LX2 - Available and most recommended option due to similar characteristics as Michelin. Cost again around 13K and readily available fresh stocks since Made in India
4. Yoko Blueearth rv02 - Available but not recommended for heavy car like XUV500, more for Compact SUVs. Soft compound and wears fast

All other HT options like Yoko Advans are very expensive. So I am basically having only Conti CCLX2 as the option currently meeting my needs. Given that I dont have an urgency yet, will wait for a month or so and see if Michelin situation changes before taking the plunge.

Also folks are websites like https://www.tyremarket.com/Car-Tyres reliable? They do show availability for Michelin.

Last edited by supertinu : 19th December 2021 at 22:28.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:38   #439
Senior - BHPian

Finally switched to Continental CCLX2 on my XUV500 yesterday. Initial impressions on link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5263067 (Continental tyres)
Old 10th April 2022, 09:42   #440
BHPian

45K and 4 years later, its time to replace my OEM Bridgestone's. Would not have replaced but in the past 5 months or so, the tire performance had fallen off a cliff with multiple punctures. Had close to 10 punctures in the last 3 months with even stones causing punctures.

Had the following options in the stock size (235/65 R17), all costing around 13K per tire.

a. Stick with OEM Bridgestones :- This was my last preference as the Bridgestone screeches on hard braking, its was a stone magnet, does not have great grip when going up inclines, noisy and has a very hard ride. Would rather go with a cheaper tire in place of the Birdgestones and save money.

b. Continental CC LX2: Had a very good experience with Continental in my previous car (Linea). It did a full Leh trip where it took a beating and came back without a single puncture or even drop in air pressure.

c. Michelin LTX Trail: Had a good experience with Michelin on my BRV. The ride quality was soft, noise free, had very good braking with excellent handling on Dry and Wet surfaces.

One the actual tires, these were brand new (2022 make). The speed rating of the Michelin is 'T' when compared to 'H' of the Continentals but I do not drive fast on the XUV500, hence was not major factor in the purchase.

Finally decided to go with the Michelin's since I liked Michelin's thread pattern and it looked like it would pick up less stones , when compared to the Continentals.

Below are a few pics,

a. Old OEM Bridgestone's
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20220409_135806.jpg

b. Michelin LTX trail

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20220409_135328.jpg

c. Set of tires
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20220409_135311.jpg

d. Closeup picture of the tire on Right Rear
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20220409_151603.jpg

e. Side view of the car to give an idea of how this tire would look.
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20220409_174148.jpg
Aceman82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:37   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post

Finally decided to go with the Michelin's since I liked Michelin's thread pattern and it looked like it would pick up less stones , when compared to the Continentals.
Hows the experience from road noise standpoint? I chose CCLX2 over LTX since I anticipated that LTX being AT will have more noise than HT Contis. How much you ended up paying for them? When I was looking around, I was quoted about 15K per tire.
Old 7th May 2022, 04:47   #442

I had replaced Rims on my 500 to Neo Alloys when i bought the car - recently, hit the curbs in a minor accident (had severe vibration beyond 120kmph and now understand the 2 of the Alloys have a minor bend and before my 2500 kms trip, i had did the balance, alignment and put both these alloys in the rear. very less steering vibration just between 120 and 130kmph otherwise OK.

need suggestion, if it is OK to continue using these Alloys or to change them ?
Old 22nd May 2022, 13:01   #443
BHPian

Just got my fourth set of tyres yesterday. Here are the previous ones
1. Apollo apterra HP (stock) - replaced them around 45k kms as they were just noisy & not built for highway cruising.
2. Yoko geolander G055 - lasted around 60k kms. Very silent in the initial 40k kms and were decent
3. Michelin Primacy Sport 4 Suv - Superb tyres! Excellent grip, super silent ride and terrific wet grip. Sadly these tyres are no longer available in India and the ones available in market are of 2019 lot. Michelin dealers across chennai are pushing the ltx trail.

Since my usage is 90% highways, I had the very little options and after a great struggle, I found the Yoko RV02. The tyres were manufactured on 4521 and all 4 were of same batch. Got them @ 12k a piece. Driven for around 300 kms and initial observations are good, the ride is quite and grip levels are close to michelin primacy sport.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-0f9fa9c82638435189bc5491fef6d6de.jpeg  

DieselWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:31   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally switched to Continental CCLX2 on my XUV500 yesterday. Initial impressions on link below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5263067 (Continental tyres)
Folks completed about 10K km on my Continental CCLX2 out of which 8400km is from my recent road trip from Bangalore to Leh and back . I would say they have certainly exceeded my expectation and I do not regret not being able to find Michelin Primacy SUV. Though most of the driving was highway and decent roads in Leh region, but I did come across fair bit of bad roads, no roads, stone roads, mud paths, water crossings and CCLX2 took everything with aplomb. Only in handful of locations I lost traction and used momentum to get through since my car is a FWD. Road noise also remains very low. Barely hear anything till 100kmph and after that engine and wind noise sort of dominates.
Old 6th June 2022, 13:28   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWanderer View Post

Since my usage is 90% highways, I had the very little options and after a great struggle, I found the Yoko RV02. The tyres were manufactured on 4521 and all 4 were of same batch. Got them @ 12k a piece. Driven for around 300 kms and initial observations are good, the ride is quite and grip levels are close to michelin primacy sport.
This was one of my short list as well but quote was expensive in Bangalore. Also one word of caution is that these are relatively softer compound, so expect bit less life out of them and also puncture risk could be higher.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:44   #446
BHPian

Quote:
This was one of my short list as well but quote was expensive in Bangalore. Also one word of caution is that these are relatively softer compound, so expect bit less life out of them and also puncture risk could be higher.
Yes.! The dealer gave me heads-up about life before I paid . I usually change tires at the 45k-50k mark. So if I get around that number I am happy
Covered 2k kms on these tires and experience has been pleasant. Not as quite as michelin's but the steering feedback and grip levels are almost same as the Primacy Sport SUV tyres I used previously.
DieselWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:08   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Folks completed about 10K km on my Continental CCLX2 out of which 8400km is from my recent road trip from Bangalore to Leh and back .
Wow! Great to hear about the performance of the tyres. Has the pulling left issue resolved now? For me, even the service center is not able to solve it. It got reduced to some extent after a lot of trials at Madhu's but they asked me to rach the service center for further analysis.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:59   #448
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately the left pull exists despite going to external alignment centers and Mahindra service center also. In general XUV500 has a left pull by default, but somehow it had gotten resolved on Bridgestones at some point and its come back after the tire change. I am going to give for service again post the trip, will again ask for alignment fix. lets see but my hopes are not too high.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:28   #449

I just replaced the tyres on my beast after 4.5 years and 40,000 km. The OEM Bridgestones were a real pain as I found the ride quality to be extremely stiff and the tyres screeched a lot. And that too, right from the time I bought the car. In fact, the tyres would be scrambling for grip during hard acceleration, even in second gear. And XUV is not so powerful that you'd get wheel spin in second gear.

Tyre replacement has been on my mind for a considerable time and as such, I had shortlisted a few tyres after going over this thread. But my circumstance of purchase were a bit different. I had short listed:-

1. Pirelli Scorpion Verde
2. Conti Cross Contact 2
3. Michelin Primacy XUV

My main requirements were a softer ride and good grip with noise free operation at highway speeds.

Unfortunately, neither the Pirellis nor the Primacy SUV were available and I was going in for the Contis, but was vehemently dissuaded by my tyre wala. And I have been frequenting this particular shop for the past 10 years.

He suggested that I go in for Michelin LTX Trail, but I was not convinced as I was sure that these tryes, being AT, would be noisy at highway speeds. But due to intensely strong sales pitch and a fabulous deal, I went ahead. And my tyre wala assured me that these tyres would be whisper quite on the highway. I've completed 1000 km these tyres with mostly city usage and a 200 km jaunt down the highway and these are my observations.

Quote:
Hows the experience from road noise standpoint? I chose CCLX2 over LTX since I anticipated that LTX being AT will have more noise than HT Contis. How much you ended up paying for them? When I was looking around, I was quoted about 15K per tire.
1. The ride quality has improved by a substantial margin. Small imperfections are dispatched without them being felt in the cabin. The improvement in ride quality is a revelation after the Bridestones.

2. The grip is just fantastic. Where the Bridgestones would lose grip during a moderately spirited getaway from the traffic lights (ESP ON). Its an effort to get wheel spin on these tyres (ESP OFF). Even the torque steer is much lesser.

3. Braking performance has improved considerably and till date I've not been able to get the tyres to squeal during braking.

4. One downside, as I had expected, is that these tyres are NOISY. Anything above 80 kmph and there is an intrusive thrum inside the cabin, which gets worse at 100 kmph. So the experience on the highways is not all that good and it's seriously making me feel that these tyres are a BIG MISTAKE.:

If I had known that these tyres would be so noisy on the highway, I would have gone ahead with Contis. But now I have to live with this choice for the next 40 or so thousand kilometers.

This was my main purpose behind posting this review, to pen down an honest review that would help someone in making an informed buying decision. The lessons learnt while buying these tyres are:-

1. DO YOUR DUE DILLIGENCE. And if in doubt then don't go ahead with the purchase. You do not get a second chance.

2. DO NOT FOLLOW THE DEALER'S RECOMMENDATION BLINDLY. No matter how long your relationship with the tyre wala, at the end of the day, he has a profit to make.

3. TRY AND GET A FIRST HAND OPINION. Maybe from a friend or a test drive, but that's not always possible.

4. GO THROUGH REVIEWS. This one is a no brainer.

5. NEVER BUY YOUR TYRES IN A HURRY. One of my tyres had developed a cut that was irreparable and I had to travel outstation the next day. My circumstances lead to impatience and I didn't do as much of an in depth study that I normally do before any purchase and went ahead with the dealer's recommendation.

So.....am I unhappy with the tyres. Not really, but at the same time, I'm not really jumping with joy. Since most of my driving is on the broken roads of Gurgaon, with only 2 or 3 long road trips a year, I'll live.
Skippyjack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 22:23   #450
BHPian

My XUV 500 original tyres (one set) lasted 1,03,000 kms and go it replaced with Yokohama G055 last September. Today (at 1,36,000 kms) the remaining two Bridgestones were at the end of their life and had to replace it.

I went to Madhus to get the replacement. He had ready stock of Bridgestone, Michelin Primacy and said he could arrange Geolander AT or H/t next day. Incidentally Bridgestone is M+S rating, Yokohama G055 is also M + S rating, but Michelin was HT. So went with Bridgestone again (partly due to good experience).

In all these years, I have taken the car to many places, including high altitude Himalayas, slippery surfaces, water wading, rough road etc. never had any loss of traction or lot of puncture issues. Bridgestones were good, no issues with Yokohama's either. And I usually drive at very high speed (touching 160+ if road permits) and the tires were always okay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks