Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 15:33   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Anyone fitted this CEAT CZAR HT 104 tyres..speed rating H. Price quoted was Rs.8,900 that comes with a 2 yrs unconditional warranty. Not that much happy with my earlier two sets - JK Stock tyres & Apollo Aperta & don't want a third set too be in the same range. Dealer is very optimistic about its performance

Edit: I was inquiring about Pirelli Scorpion AT & dealer has suggested this model. If there is not much of a performance difference between these two, would like to take the price advantage of CEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
How are Falken,Maxxiz and Hankook rated for XUV? Are they decent enough in terms of reliability and are they better than JK in terms of road noise? Anyone?
Heard Maxxis is good...but not sure about its availability in Chennai
Old 8th December 2015, 00:31   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
How are Falken,Maxxiz and Hankook rated for XUV? Are they decent enough in terms of reliability and are they better than JK in terms of road noise? Anyone?
After 67K, went to the tyre shop lalbagh road bangalore, to get Maxxis on assurance that they have stock. But they didnt have. Then checked on apterra but the cost quoted by the shop was high. Went to a nearby shop, who mainly deals with Hancook. The guy was hell bent on selling hancook but I was asking for JK as my existing tyres were JK Elanzo and had come for a decent 67K.
Finally he gave me an offer of 12K per tyre for Hancook 255/55 R17
Took it up, left immediately to Hyderabad and back. The performance is real good and noise levels are low.
Hancook 235/65-R17 he offered at 11K
Regards
Bala
Old 8th December 2015, 12:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

Could you please post a picture of your new tyers. Thanks.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:02   #79
BHPian

Hi all

I currently on a Mumbai-Sikkim road trip and have used my oe Apollo apterra hp on horrendous roads
Even with a 2 wd, a lot of the terrain I covered would qualify for 4wd.

I am very disappointed with the tires.. They just refuse to take any surface except clean tarmac.

Tyre age was 26k kms when I started from mumbai. When I drove over the nasty roads between mumbai-nagpur and later Kolkata siliguri, the car pitched and bounced around in a horrible fashion. I guess we could blame xuv's soft suspension but if did feel that the tires were not absorbing anything. Every little pebble and pothole was felt in the cabin and the deep craters made our car wobble and bounce badly.

To my horror when I was negotiating the treacherous roads to Lachen and later gurudongmar lake, on muddy, wet and stony surfaces the tires kept spinning as if they were not getting any grip. Again I understand these were probably the worst roads to drive on in India, I expected them to atleast stay planted even if they did not offer a comfortable ride.

Given i am going to do more mountain trips in future as well as negotiate bad to very bad roads in Maharashtra I think a/t tires will give me best grip and drive comfort on bad roads. Any thoughts from experts?

Also I have been part of this thread before and at the end of my current trip I will hit the 35k mark. Any ideas on good a/t choices for the xuv?

If any of you have experience on driving the xuv with a/t tires, please do share as well.
Old 10th December 2015, 08:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

http://www.ehow.com/about_6655798_h_...a_t-tires.html

I was bit confused whether to choose AT or stick with HT tyres as 80-90% of my driving would be on proper roads (highways). It was mentioned AT tyres would offer less life & less mileage, but offers good traction. Would it not be a good alternative to choose softer compound rubber with HT itself? I MAY visit region like Ladakh or NE, not sure if its worth going for AT keeping that one "MAY" trip in mind.
Old 15th December 2015, 17:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Finally got new tyres for my beast. Went for maxxis 771 AT. Rightnow i can feel the difference. They are smooth and grips road nicely compared to my old JKs. Will report back once i clock some kms on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1450181694850.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1450181718299.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1450181752060.jpg  

nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 11:14   #82
BHPian

Attached are the pictures of Hankook tyres
Done 2k km and it seems ok. Anyway new set of tyres will always feel / sound better than the old worn out tyres
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20151209_121355.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20151209_121420.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20151209_121424.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20151209_121345.jpg  

balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:56   #83
BHPian

Hi all

So I did some research in Mumbai and called all the key super dealers. Unfortunately, the only available A/T option without upsizing the original size (235/65/17) for XUV is the Pirelli Scorpion ATS 108H.

I am not too sure if I should upsize the width for the OEM alloy rims for the car.

Presently getting a best quote for 11700 for the Pirellis

I am also seeing quotes for the Yokohama Geolander SUV (a new range) @ 11900 but looking at the tread it seems it is an HP or HT tire

Anyone out there who has another brand of A/T tires without upsizing? Please advise.

Also any specific feedback on the Pirellis would be very valuable.
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:37   #84
BHPian

@ vikram - how about trying 255/60 Pirelli SC verde? Heard excellent reviews of it.
Old 27th December 2015, 04:46   #85
BHPian

I did the whole J&K thing with a AWD XUV fitted MRF A/T's onto steel rims which I took off when I got back home to Goa. They did well no issues lots of grip and no so much road noise on the highways.
I left the alloy spare under the car so had two spares just in case.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc_8796.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc_8792.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc_8794.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc_8795.jpg
I took out the 3rd row and made this under floor stowage with the rack on top. Fitted a light bar which I removed after the trip.
The steel rims I got from a W6 owner who up graded to alloys 6000 INR for the 5 rims and 4 wheel trims. These are now back in the garage ready for the next trip.
Proper prep'ing is the key to these long type of trips. Maybe a big maybe is to take the car to Australia and do the outback. XUV are sold in Aus' and having done 28,000 km trip round the outside in a sub'y eastate car, I think the XUV will do the outback with no issues, watch this space.

ken
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-packed-ready.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-dsc_8793.jpg  

Last edited by KEN-RAND : 27th December 2015 at 04:49.
KEN-RAND is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 12:40   #86
BHPian

Hi all

Finally took the plunge yesterday. Picked up 4 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (235//65//17) for 42500 including balancing/alignment/weights

First impressions: Very pliant ride compared to outgoing Apollo Apterra HPs.

Whilst I was looking for A/T tyres, was very disappointed at the available tyre options. The only other A/T tyre I found was Conti Cross Contact but for some reason it was rated UHP instead of A/T. No one could confirm if it was indeed all terrain so avoided it.

Will post pics of installs plus the car soon.
Old 11th January 2016, 13:56   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi all

Finally took the plunge yesterday. Picked up 4 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (235//65//17) for 42500 including balancing/alignment/weights

First impressions: Very pliant ride compared to outgoing Apollo Apterra HPs.

Whilst I was looking for A/T tyres, was very disappointed at the available tyre options. The only other A/T tyre I found was Conti Cross Contact but for some reason it was rated UHP instead of A/T. No one could confirm if it was indeed all terrain so avoided it.

Will post pics of installs plus the car soon.
will there be reduction in FE due to A/T tyres? and how much?
Old 13th January 2016, 12:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

I am using AT tyres and i havent seen much drop in FE.
Old 19th January 2016, 12:14   #89
BHPian

I have zeroed down to 2 choices. Pirelli Scorpian ATR and MRF wanderer AT.
Wanderer is cost effective. I need to replace after 3000-4000 kms.

Will appreciate if someone can help me to decide one among these two.
Old 24th January 2016, 11:19   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I have zeroed down to 2 choices. Pirelli Scorpian ATR and MRF wanderer AT.
Wanderer is cost effective. I need to replace after 3000-4000 kms.

Will appreciate if someone can help me to decide one among these two.
I fitted the MRF wanderer A/T on my XUV on my trip to J&K they worked fine for me not much road noise and good grip on the rough stuff. i would use again. I took off the standard fit rims and tyres and put the A/T's on steel rims and put alloys back on when I got back to Goa, so the A/T's are waiting for the next road trip.

Ken
KEN-RAND is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks