Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2016, 23:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Avimal

I just completed 1000 kms on the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs and have to say they are miles ahead of the OEM Apollo Apterras.

The only negative is that I have noticed a 0.3 kmpl fall in fuel efficiency.

Among the positives, they handle road abuse a lot better. On high speeds, they remain supremely planted. On an empty stretch with no traffic whatsoever, I stretched my XUV all the way to 160 and did not feel the slightest wobbliness on the steering.

They glide over Mumbai's undulated roads with ease. I think, given their groove structure they are a tad noisy but nothing I cant live with. Here is a pic of my outgoing and incoming tyres side by side.

Hope this helps with your decision..

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20151229_192240766.jpg  

vikram31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 14:46   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
I just completed 1000 kms on the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs and have to say they are miles ahead of the OEM Apollo Apterras.
How are they holding up? I am tempted to exchange my Bridgestone in favor of Pirellis. IMO, Bridgestone give away pretty soon and have to engage 4H.

But on tarmac, they continue to impress me.
Old 9th February 2016, 00:05   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How are they holding up? I am tempted to exchange my Bridgestone in favor of Pirellis. IMO, Bridgestone give away pretty soon and have to engage 4H.

But on tarmac, they continue to impress me.
Hi Sheel, so far really really happy with the Pirellis. No complaints whatsoever. Close to 2000 kms done on them so far.

If you are still in the hunt for A/Ts, evaluate the Conti Cross contacts as well in 235//65//17. Pls note they are UHP (Ultra High Performance) rated so should be super grippy. I guess the UHPs are the only choice in the cross contact category.

Specifically on Pirelli, I think I should have swapped my OEMs much earlier. Hope that answers your question
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 08:18   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post

If you are still in the hunt for A/Ts, evaluate the Conti Cross contacts as well in 235//65//17. Pls note they are UHP (Ultra High Performance) rated so should be super grippy. I guess the UHPs are the only choice in the cross contact category.

Specifically on Pirelli, I think I should have swapped my OEMs much earlier. Hope that answers your question
Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if Contis are available in that size, are they? And there treads are a bit more off-road biased than Pirellis. Hence, I want Pirelli [have used since '05, but on my bike]

Actually, I want the Michelin Cross, but they aren't available in 235/65 R17 size, hence the confusion.

And Bridgestone's aren't as horrible Apollos. Infact, I would rate them as very good HT tire. Silent, grippy. But the moment they sniff mud or sand, they simply relent w/o a fight.
Old 13th February 2016, 13:05   #95
BHPian

Agreed on call contis being more hardcore than pirelli. However they are available in the xuv config.. Also Michelin cross u r correct. We can't get in the xuv size. I think pirelli will work well. I just did a 400 km trip on pure tarmac. Behaved beautifully
Old 17th February 2016, 14:21   #96
BHPian

My original Bridgestone tyres have done 80k kms but still seem to have some life left ... wonder how.
Anyway I've decided to replace because of multiple punctures and one tear that has left me with 4.
Now I went through the whole thread but hardly found any mention of Goodyear wrangler all weathers.
Does anyone have any experience of these ?
I don't want to spend much as I'll be selling the car in another year ... all the same I want a decent set.
I'm getting a set of 4 Goodyears for 35k on snapdeal.
Should I go for them ?
Any other good and cheap option ?
Old 17th February 2016, 15:19   #97
BHPian

Another question ...

Couldn't edit the earlier post as the 30 min grace period had expired

Someone suggested that as my tyres are not so bad I could discard the worst ones and put 2 new ones in the front.
Is that an acceptable option ?
Old 17th February 2016, 15:52   #98
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that is a lot of kilometers. Didn't drive it the way you ride, eh..?

I believe the tires weren't rotated properly, hence the uneven wear on a pair. My advise would be to get Ceat Czars, have seen on dealer's car and is pretty good and has held on for past 20K w/o any issue [or a puncture]
Old 17th February 2016, 17:15   #99
BHPian

Hahaha ... actually I drive hard and rough. Brake pads replaced thrice and clutch twice already. That's why I'm amazed.
Long time Sheel. ... how have you been
Thanks for the advice .... will check
bikefreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 19:59   #100
BHPian

How much did the new set cost you and did you upsize as well? What was the ODO reading at the time of replacement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Finally got new tyres for my beast. Went for maxxis 771 AT. Rightnow i can feel the difference. They are smooth and grips road nicely compared to my old JKs. Will report back once i clock some kms on it.
Old 18th February 2016, 21:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
How much did the new set cost you and did you upsize as well? What was the ODO reading at the time of replacement?
For the set of 4 it costed me 31K with alignment and balancing included. No i didnt upsize cause i already have 17" alloys. Odo was at 61K at that time by the way JK's had enough grip to last another 10K.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 22:34   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
i didnt upsize cause i already have 17" alloys.
How has the experience been? Road noise?

And could you please share pictures? I browsed the web and found the tires coming in 225/65 R17 size.
Old 18th February 2016, 23:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How has the experience been? Road noise?

And could you please share pictures? I browsed the web and found the tires coming in 225/65 R17 size.
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1450181694850-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1450181752060-1.jpg

Here is the pics.

They are doing great as of now. Compared to JK's they are far better. Money well spent.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 12:09   #104
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions on new tyres

Hi Guys, I'm planning to buy a set of 4 for my XUV500 W6. I'm comparing between Bridgestone Dueler D689 and Pirelli Scorpion ATR. My usage pattern has been like 2-3 long trips in a year and many short trips around, moving forward, I'm assuming 75/10/10 percentage for Highways/CityRoads/RealBadRoads. Any idea about the new Bridgestone Ecopia? current odo@74K kms and some more life remains it seems. Please help me with,

1> Experience with Bridgestone Ecopia if you have - http://bridgestone.co.in/SelectTyreBySize.aspx
2> Comparison between Bridgestone and Pirelli (I'm inclined towards Bridgestone already)
3> Where (Bangalore or outside) can I get the best offer for Bridgestone/Pirelli, I'm planning to contact Madhus where I'm regular for alignment/balancing if I don't see better options

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Ketan : 28th March 2016 at 12:26.
Old 6th April 2016, 13:04   #105
BHPian

I am planning to install alloy wheels on my W6. Its such a task finding suitable alloys for the XUV and more so in the stock size. Everything which i like comes either in 7.5J, 8J or 8.5J width.
I asked the cotek at the Mahindra Service about the warranty and technical issues which might surface on increasing the width of the alloy, the reply I got was "some errors related to TPMS and ABS / EBD might show up on the infotainment screen or the small icons might light up as the calibration is with the stock size". The cotek however said that the warranty is not affected.
I want to ask people who have installed alloys wider than the stock ones/ rims if the cotek is true and are they facing any technical issues after the alloys are fit. Also, should we stick to the stock size while looking for alloys or a little extra width will not hurt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks