Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2017, 13:28   #166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Got the tyres changed today morning. I had a change of heart and went with Michelin Latitude Tour HP, instead of the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, for two reasons. One, the dealer offered the Michelins at 14,000/- per tyre. The best I could get anywhere else was 15,500/-, so I thought it was a good deal. Two, the Pirelli Verdes were not immediately available, although he did offer me the Scorpion A/T instead. But as I mentioned earlier, I don't do much off roading so I preferred the Michelins.

I will shortly update my ownership thread with photos and detailed experience write up.
Old 29th January 2017, 08:58   #167
BHPian

14k seems like a good price. What are first impressions? Much more cushioned ride?
Old 29th January 2017, 10:10   #168
BHPian

These tyres are Q.U.I.E.T! Or at least it seems like it after running around on my old Apollo Hawkz. Roll up the windows and you barely notice any noise beyond the engine sound, no hiss at all. I haven't driven around much, I am looking forward to driving it in some places where I know the tyres make a lot of noise, like on some concrete roads on the way to and from office. I'll post a more detailed impressions report maybe after a 100 kms or so. A long drive to Kabini is coming up next weekend, so that should be a good test too.
Stryker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 15:35   #169
BHPian

Great to hear. Looking forward to your outstation feedback. I just completed 25k in my scorpion atrs and can confirm that at 110+ they are definitely audible. Having said that, I have been in since sticky situations in the last month and the tires have shown exemplary grip and stability. It's good to hear your tires are very quiet
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 14:01   #170
BHPian

I've updated my ownership thread with a detailed report and photos. You can see it here. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the help in making my decision.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 05:33   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrazor View Post
I have booked the XUV500 W10AT AWD the dealer tells me it comes with apollo tyres which i want to change. I love the Yokohama Geolander A/T so went to the tyre dealer he showed me the Yokohama Geolander SUV H/T tyres and tells me they are good. I am not convinced. Also I need to know if there are any negatives if I go 255/65/17
Hi speedrazor. I think the original tyre profile of 235/65/17 is perfect for the XUV. No need to add 255s. I had the same dilemma while upgrading my tyres as Geolanders were available only on 255 profile. The specific tyres that you mention, Geolander SUV H/Ts are made specifially for India (per my discussion with a dealer) and have indian rubber as opposed to imported rubber. I would not recommend these at all. The reason to spend extra is to get the compound tyres (softer/less noisy) vs the Indian rubber tyres. I would recommend fully imported tyres (Michelin/Pirelli). I dont think Yoko has XUVs size for any of its tyres). If you are looking for Indian rubber tyres with international engineering, you could also consider Falken Wildpeak H/T that have an excellent warranty program as well as Goodyear Eagle Series. Cheers
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 09:09   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
I think the original tyre profile of 235/65/17 is perfect for the XUV. No need to add 255s.
Totally agree with vikram31 on this. The 235 is just right for the XUV. Higher widths may look better but don't offer any specific additional advantage.
Old 4th February 2017, 09:15   #173

Thanks Vikram. I love the Geolander A/T I have used them with my Scorpio earlier and they lasted me 80k kms. But I wasn't sure about the Geo SUV - thanks for your input. Fortunately my xuv came with Bridgestone tyres so did not change them. I will only change them after 40k.

Quote:
Hi speedrazor. I think the original tyre profile of 235/65/17 is perfect for the XUV. No need to add 255s. I had the same dilemma while upgrading my tyres as Geolanders were available only on 255 profile. The specific tyres that you mention, Geolander SUV H/Ts are made specifially for India (per my discussion with a dealer) and have indian rubber as opposed to imported rubber. I would not recommend these at all. The reason to spend extra is to get the compound tyres (softer/less noisy) vs the Indian rubber tyres. I would recommend fully imported tyres (Michelin/Pirelli). I dont think Yoko has XUVs size for any of its tyres). If you are looking for Indian rubber tyres with international engineering, you could also consider Falken Wildpeak H/T that have an excellent warranty program as well as Goodyear Eagle Series. Cheers
Old 4th February 2017, 20:49   #174
BHPian

Hi speed razor you are lucky you got the dueler h/t. To my mind they are the best OEM tyres on the xuv. Comfortable and long lasting. Also best looking between elanzo/apterra. My gut feel is they will last up to 50k. Check for baldness before changing. If you think there is juice it should be OK to stretch till 50k. Also I think a/t tyres have longer life (contrary to perception). My pirelli scorpion atrs just completed 25k and I don't see why they won't stretch to 25k more. My dealer told me they will start balding at 30-35k but they look far from that at the moment
Old 8th February 2017, 11:08   #175
BHPian

Hi Friends & Gurus,
My XUV has run almost 90K on the stock Bridgestone tyres . I may have pushed it a few extra miles but then they haven't worn out completely. It's time to change & so I am in the hunt for the a suitable alternate. I don't want to spend a fortune on the tyres - want a decent balance between noise, longivity, grip & cost. I am also open to try new tyres provided I get a good feedback from someone in this forum.

While browsing through changemytyre.com, I came across the following :
- Maxxis HT 760-RWL @ 8K / tyre;
- Hankook Dynapro HP RA23 @ 13.3 K / tyre.
As I have no knowledge about the quality of these tyres, can anyone please shed some light.

The other alternatives are the usual ones:

- Goodyear WRANGLER HP/AW @ 13.8 / tyre (think they are better than Hankook any day at that price)
- Goodyear EXCELLENCE @ 14.3 / tyre
- Bridgestone DUELER D684 Tubeless @ 14.7 / tyre
- Yokohama - ?

Don't want to go for the Michelins & Pirellis for their high price.

advise.

Last edited by forbhaskarm : 8th February 2017 at 11:09.
Old 9th February 2017, 22:24   #176
BHPian

Hi forbhaskarm, the prices you are stating seem high. You should be able to get pirellis around 13k and duelers around 12k. Should also consider falken wildpeak ht
Old 10th February 2017, 13:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Hi Friends & Gurus,
My XUV has run almost 90K on the stock Bridgestone tyres . I may have pushed it a few extra miles but then they haven't worn out completely. It's time to change & so I am in the hunt for the a suitable alternate. I don't want to spend a fortune on the tyres - want a decent balance between noise, longivity, grip & cost. I am also open to try new tyres provided I get a good feedback from someone in this forum.

While browsing through changemytyre.com, I came across the following :
- Maxxis HT 760-RWL @ 8K / tyre;
- Hankook Dynapro HP RA23 @ 13.3 K / tyre.
As I have no knowledge about the quality of these tyres, can anyone please shed some light.

The other alternatives are the usual ones:

- Goodyear WRANGLER HP/AW @ 13.8 / tyre (think they are better than Hankook any day at that price)
- Goodyear EXCELLENCE @ 14.3 / tyre
- Bridgestone DUELER D684 Tubeless @ 14.7 / tyre
- Yokohama - ?

Don't want to go for the Michelins & Pirellis for their high price.

advise.
I have Maxxis AT and its been more than a year since i have been using them. They have very good grip and very resistant to punctures ( not even a single one till date touchwood). So HT would be even better in my opinion.
Heres the pic of mine:
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag1400.jpg
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 14:55   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I have Maxxis AT and its been more than a year since i have been using them. They have very good grip and very resistant to punctures ( not even a single one till date touchwood). So HT would be even better in my opinion.
Heres the pic of mine:
Attachment 1606728
Thanks mate ! The tyres look good too. I will go for Maxxis.
Old 19th February 2017, 11:23   #179

Quote:
Hi speed razor you are lucky you got the dueler h/t. To my mind they are the best OEM tyres on the xuv. Comfortable and long lasting. Also best looking between elanzo/apterra. My gut feel is they will last up to 50k. Check for baldness before changing. If you think there is juice it should be OK to stretch till 50k. Also I think a/t tyres have longer life (contrary to perception). My pirelli scorpion atrs just completed 25k and I don't see why they won't stretch to 25k more. My dealer told me they will start balding at 30-35k but they look far from that at the moment
I agree with you Vikram. My Geolander A/T lasted me 80k, out of that 80% was highway driving and 20% was on bad tarred/mud paths. So I am a big fan.
Old 13th March 2017, 16:07   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally today after 48,000 Kms I gave up on Apollo Aptera Stock tyres. Replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. I haven't been out on long trip yet but I see noticeable difference in ride. Base don the reviews so far and my first impression, I think this set will serve me better than Apollo Aptera.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks