Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 16:27   #226
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am just back from a weekend trip and I must say the Wranglers held itself well - grippy, still not so noisy. Most importantly, my MID reading of the mileage has increased to 13.6 kmpl when i was getting 12 with my old tyres (similar traffic/driving style). is the mileage increase is usual for new tyres and which will lower down once they start wearing?

- Mods please merge the two posts if you deem fit
Old 13th September 2017, 17:39   #227
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
After some serious tyre hunting since the last 4 months, I went for Pirelli Scorpion ATR's for my 2014 XUV 5oo W6.
The difference in driving after the new tyres is huge. They are extremely good and a major upgrade from the stock BS Duelers.
The road noise is negligible, the grip levels are very good, the daily drives have become very smooth.
After the dealer bought back the spare tyre at Rs. 6,000/-, the pirellis costed Rs. 9250/- a piece with a 5 year warranty.
Old 14th September 2017, 15:27   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Hi Friends & Gurus,
My XUV has run almost 90K on the stock Bridgestone tyres . I may have pushed it a few extra miles but then they haven't worn out completely. It's time to change & so I am in the hunt for the a suitable alternate. I don't want to spend a fortune on the tyres - want a decent balance between noise, longivity, grip & cost. I am also open to try new tyres provided I get a good feedback from someone in this forum.

While browsing through changemytyre.com, I came across the following :
- Maxxis HT 760-RWL @ 8K / tyre;
- Hankook Dynapro HP RA23 @ 13.3 K / tyre.
As I have no knowledge about the quality of these tyres, can anyone please shed some light.

The other alternatives are the usual ones:

- Goodyear WRANGLER HP/AW @ 13.8 / tyre (think they are better than Hankook any day at that price)
- Goodyear EXCELLENCE @ 14.3 / tyre
- Bridgestone DUELER D684 Tubeless @ 14.7 / tyre
- Yokohama - ?

Don't want to go for the Michelins & Pirellis for their high price.

advise.
Hi Guys,
Am back again to seek a bit of advise from all gurus. I have finally recce'd the market and shortlisted the following options for my XUV:

Pirelli Scorpion ATR @ INR 11,000 per piece
Yokohama G012 AT/S @ INR 11,000 pp
GoodYear Wrangler AT @ 10,000 pp
Bridgestone Dueller HT @ INR 9,800 pp
(I have attached all images for a quick look & comparison)

@Nitinralli - Thanks for your advise on Maxxis ATR. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a dealer in Delhi/Noida/Gurgaon who stocks them - including Singh Shoppe @ CR Park)

advise.

PS: No specific reason for AT tyres, just that I want to try them over HT (having been using these for eons. )
Attached Images

Old 14th September 2017, 18:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Hi Guys, shortlisted the following options for my XUV:

Pirelli Scorpion ATR @ INR 11,000 per piece
Yokohama G012 AT/S @ INR 11,000 pp
GoodYear Wrangler AT @ 10,000 pp
Bridgestone Dueller HT @ INR 9,800 pp

PS: No specific reason for AT tyres, just that I want to try them over HT (having been using these for eons. )
My experience:
The Bridgestone Duellers were stock in my XUV and they lasted longer. Just for the norm to change, I replaced them at 55k. Otherwise, they showed no signs of wear. They were certainly good on highway performance, being HT. But bad roads do unsettle them a bit.

My current set are the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. They also look to last long and haven't had a single puncture for 35k kms. They definitely excel on bad roads but their weak point is the undulations on highways where the tires feel going out of control. They are also a tad noisier than the Duellers but not a deal breaker. Grip levels are great.

So to me, they both are excellent choices as long as you are aware of the basic differences between HT and AT and have your expectations in order.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:39   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
My experience:
The Bridgestone Duellers were stock in my XUV and they lasted longer. Just for the norm to change, I replaced them at 55k. Otherwise, they showed no signs of wear. They were certainly good on highway performance, being HT. But bad roads do unsettle them a bit.

My current set are the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. They also look to last long and haven't had a single puncture for 35k kms. They definitely excel on bad roads but their weak point is the undulations on highways where the tires feel going out of control. They are also a tad noisier than the Duellers but not a deal breaker. Grip levels are great.

So to me, they both are excellent choices as long as you are aware of the basic differences between HT and AT and have your expectations in order.
Thanks for your feedback mate. Yes indeed, I do understand the difference between the two types of tyres. I am getting inclined towards the Pirelli, second choice being the Yokos. Plan to have them fitted today during second half.
Old 24th September 2017, 13:00   #231
GwD
BHPian

Hi All,

This is about my W10 which is one year old and covered only around 6700 km.

Need your advice regarding sidewall pinholes in my stock Bridgestone Dueller. Yesterday I discovered that the front right tire was flat. The neighbourhood tire shop showed me two tiny pinholes on the outer sidewall. Otherwise there's no visible damage. They told me that it is a tire defect.

What are the usual warranty terms? Can I get a replacement?

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2017, 16:48   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwD View Post
Hi All,

What are the usual warranty terms? Can I get a replacement?

Thanks.
You can push it through the dealer with whom you have purchased the vehicle. Since the kms covered is too low, you should be definitely getting the replacement.

There are cases where Mahindra has paid for uneven or quicker tyre wear (due to suspension issues), if all the services done through their authorized dealers.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 18:34   #233
GwD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
You can push it through the dealer with whom you have purchased the vehicle. Since the kms covered is too low, you should be definitely getting the replacement.

There are cases where Mahindra has paid for uneven or quicker tyre wear (due to suspension issues), if all the services done through their authorized dealers.
Thanks for your encouraging words. I spent the entire morning today trying to convince the ASS about this but to no avail. The Bridgestone tire expert came and inspected the tire and flatly rejected the claim saying that it was not a manufacturing defect and hence they are not liable in any way. The Service Manager and another person from Mahindra were there who could not help me in any way apart from suggesting that I buy a new tire.
Old 5th October 2017, 15:44   #234

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Greetings gentlemen!
I purchased my silver 2012 XUV500 from the used car market in Dec. 2016. The odo was at 1L km when I bought the car and I've added 25k km to the odo in the last 9 months, which include an all highway road trip from Trichy-Bhubaneshwar & 2 bad road-good road combo trips from Trichy-Raichur & Trichy-Mancherial.

The car has 4 BS Duelers on them currently. From the DOT data on the tyres, I understand that 2 tyres had been replaced in 2014 by the previous owner, possibly when the odo was at around 50k km, whereas the other 2 tyres are OEM BS Duelers and have done 1.25L km till date. Those 2 tyres are as old as the car itslelf & I guess BS deserves an applause for this. The best part is that all the 4 tyres still have juice left in them; not just my view, I showed them to a couple of tyre experts at Trichy, Tamilnadu & got their reviews. I must admit that I had been careless about the tyres, I hadn't checked the tyres and may have pushed the tyres for more, if not for the 3 punctures in the last 2 months. That's when I checked the date of manufacture.

Anyway, I have decided to go for replacement & have been reading reviews across the web, apart from visiting local tyre dealers. I do a lot of highway driving apart from some on bad roads & occassional off-roading. The split may be like 60:30:10.
I have shortlisted the following tyres based on my local research.
* Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA - Rs. 10,300 pp
* Pirelli Scorpion ATR - ~Rs 14,000 pp
* Yokohama G015 - Rs. 11,000 pp

Whilst Goodyear & Yoko are readily available at Trichy, where I work, I just can't find a local dealer here who has heard of the name Pirelli. However, I've found a dealer at Chennai who can offer Pirellis at around Rs. 14,000 pp. But the dealer also warned me that most of the Pirellis stocked in Chennai are 2015 make & that it's highly unlikely that I get 2017 make Pirellis. Is this justified?
I need the help of our Team-BHP gurus & peers in finding answers for the following questions.
# How difficult is finding a decent Pirelli dealer in south India, who's within my driving reach (TN/Kerala/Karnataka/AP/Telengana)? (I will be very grateful if someone can suggest such a dealer)
# Can I go for the Wrangler AT/SA instead? Does Goodyear still offer unconditional warranty? Because the local dealer says that the warranty is offered only on select models & not on the Wrangler AT/SA 235/65R17.
# Any better options?

Please advise & thanks in advance!

Last edited by anpriyan : 5th October 2017 at 15:55. Reason: Unknowingly used 4 smileys in 1 post against 2, as mentioned in the rules.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:15   #235
BHPian

In Hunt for a tire for my W8 AWD. Done 75K on stock BS duellers. According to tire dealer it has juice left for approx 15K more kms. So planning to replace in anothe 3-6 months.
I am happy with the tire life, highway performance and noice levels of the stock Duellers, but not happy with the way it behaves on bad roads . I have bad roads apprrox 25% of my drives. Please suggest me Gurus
Old 31st October 2017, 13:55   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpriyan View Post
Greetings gentlemen!
I purchased my silver 2012 XUV500 from the used car market in Dec. 2016. The odo was at 1L km when I bought the car and I've added 25k km to the odo in the last 9 months, which include an all highway road trip from Trichy-Bhubaneshwar & 2 bad road-good road combo trips from Trichy-Raichur & Trichy-Mancherial.

The car has 4 BS Duelers on them currently. From the DOT data on the tyres, I understand that 2 tyres had been replaced in 2014 by the previous owner, possibly when the odo was at around 50k km, whereas the other 2 tyres are OEM BS Duelers and have done 1.25L km till date. Those 2 tyres are as old as the car itslelf & I guess BS deserves an applause for this. The best part is that all the 4 tyres still have juice left in them; not just my view, I showed them to a couple of tyre experts at Trichy, Tamilnadu & got their reviews. I must admit that I had been careless about the tyres, I hadn't checked the tyres and may have pushed the tyres for more, if not for the 3 punctures in the last 2 months. That's when I checked the date of manufacture.

Anyway, I have decided to go for replacement & have been reading reviews across the web, apart from visiting local tyre dealers. I do a lot of highway driving apart from some on bad roads & occassional off-roading. The split may be like 60:30:10.
I have shortlisted the following tyres based on my local research.
* Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA - Rs. 10,300 pp
* Pirelli Scorpion ATR - ~Rs 14,000 pp
* Yokohama G015 - Rs. 11,000 pp

Whilst Goodyear & Yoko are readily available at Trichy, where I work, I just can't find a local dealer here who has heard of the name Pirelli. However, I've found a dealer at Chennai who can offer Pirellis at around Rs. 14,000 pp. But the dealer also warned me that most of the Pirellis stocked in Chennai are 2015 make & that it's highly unlikely that I get 2017 make Pirellis. Is this justified?
I need the help of our Team-BHP gurus & peers in finding answers for the following questions.
# How difficult is finding a decent Pirelli dealer in south India, who's within my driving reach (TN/Kerala/Karnataka/AP/Telengana)? (I will be very grateful if someone can suggest such a dealer)
# Can I go for the Wrangler AT/SA instead? Does Goodyear still offer unconditional warranty? Because the local dealer says that the warranty is offered only on select models & not on the Wrangler AT/SA 235/65R17.
# Any better options?

Please advise & thanks in advance!

I was finally able to find a local dealer who offered 4 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. Thanks to TeamBHP forums, I was able to verify DOT date & speed ratings of the tyres. The tyres had been manufactured in April 2017 & had been shipped in from Chennai. Cost: Rs 11,500 a piece + free alignment.

It has been 5 days since the replacement & I have already been on a road trip with friends from Trichy to Courtallam/Kuttralam & back. The noise levels, as fellow TBHP members have warned already earlier in this forum, are a bit high, compared to the old BS Duelers; but I can bear that with the music system turned ON. Sometimes, I just listen to the road/tyre noise; I kind of like it. The best thing about these tyres, as fellow members insist, is the grip, be it on dry or wet roads. We had to drive through the rain for around 50km & through gravel roads for around 30km. I am not a pro, but I can say that I could feel the difference between the old BS Duelers & the new Pirelli ATRs. Another thing I personally like about these tyres is their aggressive tread. I guess I am satisfied with the purchase, shall update on the tyres' performance after upcoming long road trips. The car pulls to the right & the steering wheel seems a little misaligned, after this tyre replacement; should be a problem with the wheel alignment. I am planning to check it up with the tyre guy today evening.

Here are some photos of the Scorpion ATRs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pirelli-scorpion-atr1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-pirelli-scorpion-atr3.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-xuv-pirelli.jpg  

Old 1st November 2017, 18:45   #237
BHPian

I have noticed that the quality of the ride in the rear seat (75K done W8 AWD) has depreciated over the past six months. I have checked the suspension for any worn-out shocks but dealer told its fine.
My doubt is whether a tire which is almost nearing its end of life cycle can cause a bumpy ride ? Does the decreased thread depth causes a decreased cushioning ?
Old 5th November 2017, 09:30   #238
BHPian

Had a visit to the nearby workshop for quick check up for the jerky ride of my W8 AWD. Technician suggested for a tire change. So changed to Michellein Primacy SUV. Got it for 50k for 4 tires including fitting WA and WB.
I have done just 50km post tire change . There is remarkable change in handling and ride now
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0292-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0295-2.jpg  

Old 24th November 2017, 20:10   #239
BHPian

Thanks to all contributors on this thread.

Today, I replaced OEM Apteras' with Michelin Primacy SUV.

Total cost = 46800/- (Tires + WA + WB). Good deal, isn't it?

Will keep posted on experience. So far, so good.
fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 09:25   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
Thanks to all contributors on this thread.

Today, I replaced OEM Apteras' with Michelin Primacy SUV.

Total cost = 46800/- (Tires + WA + WB). Good deal, isn't it?

Will keep posted on experience. So far, so good.
I know that its too early to ask, but how is the ride quality with Primacy SUV, I am utterly confused to choose between the Scorpion ATR's and Primacy SUV's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks