Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:53   #271

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi guys, on the road today I found my XUV was bouncing a lot more than usual, also wheels were losing traction and the vehicle was sliding to the left. An inspection revealed that the side walls have eroded significantly on the front left wheel and they are almost at end of life for the front right wheel. The Pirelli Scorpion ATRs completed 48ks so far. I have decided to change them now rather than wait for the last mile.

Went out for an in-person research to multiple brand shops and here are the feelers:

I've been reading this entire thread over the last couple of days, as I'm looking to replace my stock Apollo Apterras after 36k km. Though they still have around 5k juice left. @vikram31 thanks a lot for your updates. So I'm at Chandigarh on leave and getting the following deal

1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR 11K

2. Scorpion Verde at 10.5k. Dealer willing to trade the unused spare and old tyres for about 6k.
Vikram, what do you recommend, AT or HT? I did Ladakh in 2016, else is mostly highway drives and local indian roads. Main issue, is noise and mileage a major issue? How does the deal sound?

Ps. Michelins are for 13.5k. Not sure if it's worth the extra 10k for 4 tyres.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2018 at 08:38. Reason: Spacing
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:59   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunRD View Post
I've been reading this entire thread over the last couple of days, as I'm looking to replace my stock Apollo apterras after 36k km. Though they still have around 5k juice left. @vikram31 thanks a lot for your updates. So I'm at Chandigarh on leave and getting the following deal
1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR 11K
2. Scorpion Verde at 10.5k. dealer willing to trade the unused spare and old tyres for about 6k.
Vikram, what do you recommend, AT or HT? I did laddakh in 2016, else is mostly highway drives and local indian roads. Main issue, is noise and mileage a major issue? How does the deal sound?
Ps. Michelins are for 13.5k. Not sure if it's worth the extra 10k for 4 tyres.
AT is for more grip and ability to handle bad roads better than HT. If you are on good roads all the time HT is the way to go. Expecially if you are looking for mileage and low road noise you should consider HT tyres.

The Verde is a fantastic choice. The Primacy SUV from Michelin will be super quiet. Can also consider Yoko G055s Continental Cross Contact UHP..All will be super silent. You should be able to get a deal better than 13.5 on Michelins.

I happened to upgrade to Yoko Geolander ATs today. Here are a few pics:

Menacing sidewall, the cuts and crevices are bigger than they look in pics

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180322_185913475.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180322_185003366.jpg

Outgoing vs Incoming - Huge difference in tread style
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180322_184826026.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180322_184516128.jpg

These new gens are a great mix of on road and off road performance. As you can see in the attached pics, the tread is blocky yet not too harsh to create noise and eat into comfort and mileage. The first 10 kms experience was a world of difference from the Pirelli ATRs. To give the Pirellis credit, I moved from 47k run tyres that had braced konkani state highways, spiti and the cowdung highway called NH17 to cushy 0 km driven rubber. Tyres are made in Thailand

Let us know what you choose from the HT options and why..Cheers
Old 23rd March 2018, 22:36   #273

Quote:
I happened to upgrade to Yoko Geolander ATs today. Here are a few pics:
Very impressive looking tyres. Wish you smooth rides!

Today's inputs revealed that prices are down on new stock, and Pirelli's are going to be retailing at around 9.5k. The dealer has asked me to wait a couple of days, so I'm complying as of now.

Will update with more news soon.

Note from Support: Post fixed. Please avoid slang. Thank you!
Old 24th March 2018, 10:10   #274
Team-BHP Support

Why are Pirellis getting cheaper by day? Old stock?
Old 25th March 2018, 18:28   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why are Pirellis getting cheaper by day? Old stock?
The stock is not old. I was told that the dealers keep getting discounts from the wholesellers, and pirelli Scorpion ATR is on discounted price here right now. Unfortunately not all others are on offer. Not even Scorpion Verde.
Old 26th March 2018, 21:49   #276

Finally got new tyres for the car today. Here's a summary of the experience.

1. AT vs HT. After much debate and thought (where the looks of AT tyres were drifting me on to that side), I went with logic, reasoning, and my own usage pattern, which made me realise that the right choice for me would be good HT tyres. My stock Apollo Apterras have done 36k, and have taken me through a 9000Km trip from Karwar to Leh/Ladakh and back. To be honest, i did not feel the need of AT tyres even while negotiating the Shyok valley and slippery Zojila pass. Maybe i was not too aware then; I'm sure AT tyres would have been that much more reassuring. But then that's the way it stood with me.

2. Brand. After the most difficult decision of AT vs HT was done, it was easier going. Was deciding between Michelin and Pirellis. Finally went for the PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE 235/65/R17s. Looked up this tyre's reviews on British, Australian, Swiss and US sites. All users had great feedback for comfort, wet driving and braking on these tyres. That, coupled with the reviews of fellow BHPians here helped me to finalise the choice.

3. Deal. Like i brought out in my previous post, only the Scorpion ATRs were on discount and were retailing for 10,200 per tyre. The Verdes however, i finally got for 11,200 per tyre. Got a good buyback of Rs 8000 for my old tyres, including the unused spare which was also 2015 vintage. Decided to part with it and put one of the better old rear tyre as spare.

4. Initial Impression. Just done about 15 km in the city after the change today, but there is an immediately apparent sponginess to the ride. Heading for a 1,800 km highway run in a week. Will update on the experience soon. Some photographs follow.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180326_134147680.jpg
The New Tyres - Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/65/17

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180326_134226341.jpg
Outgoing Apollos with the incoming Pirellis

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180326_135410939.jpg
On the Machine-the old tyres still had some life in them

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20180326_135759407_hdr.jpg
Nitrogen filling in progress on a new tyre
Old 26th March 2018, 23:03   #277
BHPian

Quote:

Nitrogen filling in progress on a new tyre
Good decision injunRD. The tyres look sweet. A great HT choice. Please keep posting feedback as you go along. My tyres have already done 500+ kms and I can say outside of the looks being AT, the plushness in the cabin is better than both my OEM apterras and scorpion atr's when they were new. Loving the Yokos so far. I have an upcoming Goa run in april. Will post feedback..cheers
vikram31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 14:34   #278
BHPian

Quote:
The stock is not old. I was told that the dealers keep getting discounts from the wholesellers, and pirelli Scorpion ATR is on discounted price here right now. Unfortunately not all others are on offer. Not even Scorpion Verde.
That and the fact that rubber prices are down almost 30% within a one half year span. They are still not passing on the full cost benefits to the consumers is what I'd say. Expect some interesting volatility in case the China/US issue hots up. The tire category is under fire in that territory and hence if things head south. prices should also follow as the excess stocks would be surely dumped in the other markets.
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:05   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Brand. After the most difficult decision of AT vs HT was done, it was easier going. Was deciding between Michelin and Pirellis. Finally went for the PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE 235/65/R17s. Looked up this tyre's reviews on British, Australian, Swiss and US sites. All users had great feedback for comfort, wet driving and braking on these tyres. That, coupled with the reviews of fellow BHPians here helped me to finalise the choice.

3. [b]
Owning a 2013 W8 model XUV running on Yokohama Geolander AT for the last 40k kms. Exploring different options for upgrading the vehicle or swap with a latest model W11 AWD XUV. If its latter, want to go for a tyre change upon delivery. Your post saves lot of my effort -
--

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyre...MPACT/R-194320

A slight wider profile for better braking. Overall difference in circumference for this upgrade with stock size is just 0.07%

Will this size have any impact on ride quality? (65 vs 60)
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:35   #280

Mod Note: Please use 'multi-quote' option instead of posting back to back. Please read the forum rules carefully before proceeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
If its latter, want to go for a tyre change upon delivery. Your post saves lot of my effort -
--

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyre...MPACT/R-194320

A slight wider profile for better braking. Overall difference in circumference for this upgrade with stock size is just 0.07%

Will this size have any impact on ride quality? (65 vs 60)
Thank you!
Quick update. I've done 2000km+ already on the new tyres. Drove mumbai to Chandigarh with a full load {including the car carrier, which has 3 suitcases}. Loved the drive! Noise levels at 120kmph are down, mileage figures have definitely edged upwards, and the braking: it's just so reassuring.
The tyre on your link seems an exciting prospect. At 255 mm, it'll improve your control and braking at a very marginal impact -if at all- on mileage. The reduced ratio theoretically reduces the sidewall height, which is what takes the shocks and jerks. But I don't think that with large tyres as ours that should have an impact. My opinion; if they are not too expensive vis a vis the standard size, go for them. Else you can consider the standard Scorpion Verde.

Quote:
Good decision injunRD. The tyres look sweet. A great HT choice. Please keep posting feedback as you go along. My tyres have already done 500+ kms and I can say outside of the looks being AT, the plushness in the cabin is better than both my OEM apterras and scorpion atr's when they were new. Loving the Yokos so far. I have an upcoming Goa run in april. Will post feedback..cheers
Hi Vikram.
Well after 2000km on the Verdes, it's only smiles. ☺ They were a treat on the highways and even broken roads. Car feels like it's got a new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
That and the fact that rubber prices are down almost 30% within a one half year span. They are still not passing on the full cost benefits to the consumers is what I'd say. Expect some interesting volatility in case the China/US issue hots up. The tire category is under fire in that territory and hence if things head south. prices should also follow as the excess stocks would be surely dumped in the other markets.
That's a sound and logical assessment. Should be interesting to monitor both the trends together.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd April 2018 at 11:24. Reason: Refer mod note inline
injunRD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:49   #281
BHPian

I'm looking to pickup the new Xuv W11 (o) variant. It comes with Bridgestone 235/60 r18 tyres.

Would i be better off exchanging them once out of showroom for something better? Pirelli verde seems to be the popular choice here! How much can i expect for the oem tyres once out of showroom?
Old 28th April 2018, 09:35   #282
Senior - BHPian

We are all set to go to Ladakh on 11th may 2018. We are going to take one of my friends(he is also joining) XUV 500 W6. XUV is 3.2 years old with 45k on the odometer. Change of tyre is due. Ladakh and myself are involved, so now it's my responsibility to finalize tyres and get it replaced.

I went through this entire thread and that made me confused. I am not able to decide the suitable tyres. Please advice! Moreover, is it advisable to go for a long(6000+km) trip just after buying new tyres?
Old 28th April 2018, 18:20   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
I'm looking to pickup the new Xuv W11 (o) variant. It comes with Bridgestone 235/60 r18 tyres.

Would i be better off exchanging them once out of showroom for something better? Pirelli verde seems to be the popular choice here! How much can i expect for the oem tyres once out of showroom?
I checked for 255/55/R18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde for exchange with tyres from brand new vehicle (235/60/18). 255 width tyres were quoted 18K per tyre & buy back of stock tyres are at 10k per tyre. Net I have to pay 8k per tyre (overall 32k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Please advice! Moreover, is it advisable to go for a long(6000+km) trip just after buying new tyres?
I don't find any reason why you should not fit a brand new tyre for Ladakh trip. In case of any sidewall cut, you have to throw away the tyres -:( Take utmost care if you choose softer compound tyres
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 18:29   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I checked for 255/55/R18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde for exchange with tyres from brand new vehicle (235/60/18). 255 width tyres were quoted 18K per tyre & buy back of stock tyres are at 10k per tyre. Net I have to pay 8k per tyre (overall 32k)
Wouldn't upsizing or changing the dimensions in warranty period, void the warranty? Are there any good 235/60/r18 options?

Btw are you considering the W11(O) Xuv as well?
Old 28th April 2018, 20:51   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Wouldn't upsizing or changing the dimensions in warranty period, void the warranty? Are there any good 235/60/r18 options?

Btw are you considering the W11(O) Xuv as well?
In current XUV, Mahindra has refunded cost of a tyre for uneven wear which was due to newly replaced front suspension. They replaced the suspensions as well. Also a friend of mine has claimed for the uneven wear on a newer second set of tyre at 8000 kms (50% of thread gone)

Surely increasing the width of the tyre straight away voids the warranty on suspension & steering related claims. Else the other option is to retain the same size & go for more performance oriented tires. Yes, Iam looking for the W11 (O) AWD AT variant

Most Viewed