Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 00:01   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
OEM Bridgestones? How long have you been on them mate? I am sure both our XUV's are of the same time - around 2012?
Yes. OEM Bridgestone still.

Vehicle is June 2014, done 72K kms till now. Got thread depth for another ~ 7K Kms I feel. However, would be changing before that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 00:10   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes. OEM Bridgestone still.

Vehicle is June 2014, done 72K kms till now. Got thread depth for another ~ 7K Kms I feel. However, would be changing before that.
That's great. In fact, my OEM did the same 72K.

I shall drop in my feedback once I get behind the wheels of mine. (If you haven't done the 7K of driving before that )
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 14:30   #378
BHPian

I am on pirrelli scorpion atr for last 35k. Very good tyres and it will easily go for at least 20k. I heard prices of pirrelli has gone down in recent times for some reason.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 02:19   #379

My 2012 model XUV has been on the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs since the last couple of years & have done close to ~36,000km on them. I maintain a tyre pressure of 33psi (Nitrogen) on all 4 Tyres. Here’s my review of them.
1. Being ATRs, the tyres are quite noisier compared to the stock Bridgestone Duelers that did 1.25lakh km on my XUV.
2. The extra grip & traction can literally be felt, especially during cornering at high speeds.
3. I’m not sure of it, but my XUV’s front suspension has suffered a bit after changing from BS to Pirelli Scorpion ATRs & my local wheel alignment/balancing guy at Trichy says the damage is due to these bad boys. He asked me to go for a suspension overhaul only after I change my tyres to anything else, preferably highway Tyres.

Can any of the auto gurus here please throw some light on the topic.
Are Pirelli Scorpion ATRs or any other ATR Tyres really capable of damaging the car’s suspension?
If so, how do I avoid such things from happening?
Old 13th August 2019, 12:19   #380
BHPian

Hi anpriyan

MY take on the Scorpions is that they bridge a very important gap on the XUV. The FWD version of this heavy vehicle tends to see the front wheels spinning on loose surfaces and sharp inclines where grip is very important. I feel HT tyres (irrespective of brand) will struggle in such situations where AT will hold ground

To my mind, AT tyres actually help the pitch and bounce of the vehicle because they absorb a lot more of the bad roads instead of just transferring these undulations to the cabin

I disagree with your wheels guy. I upgraded from Apollo HT tyres to Scorpion ATRs at 33ks and then Geolander AT at 83k. I have had one full suspension change (Front at 80k and rear at 110k) which is normal wear and tear. This suspension change could also have been caused by the fact that my FWD xuv has done harsh terrains of Spiti and Sikkim

Lastly, AT tyres handle wet roads and road heat much better than HTs and the modern versions offer a fantastic balance between city and highway driving. So I would recommend you get your suspension checked at ASC instead of your tyre guy. My personal opinion is to keep your XUV shod with AT tyres instead of HT tyres..cheers
vikram31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:52   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post

PS: Took out my Terrano today as massive water
logging here in NCR and I am not very confident about my XUV's capability to handle it. Sustained a puncture on front right tyre. The air was not getting retained even after repair, as a last resort opted for tube. I want to opt for Goodyear again but as usage is very less now would opt for something relatively cheaper.

I was thinking of Goodyear AT to replace my stock Bridgestone HT. Tho they have done only 47K kms, 3 tires out of 4 (lost 1 due to a massive cut- bought a second hand yoko and keeping it as a spare) have had punctures, and 1 tire has some cuts on the tread.

I was looking at AT tires for better traction on rough roads, and also for greater peace of mind during highway runs with family. It is your Terrano that suffered a puncture, and the tire has to be replaced? The Goodyear AT? How many kms done in that?
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:15   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

I was looking at AT tires for better traction on rough roads, and also for greater peace of mind during highway runs with family. It is your Terrano that suffered a puncture, and the tire has to be replaced? The Goodyear AT? How many kms done in that?
No, tyre was not able to hold the air, so I opted for a tube. I have done 81k kms on this set Goodyear set. Yet to replace as Terrano is not being used that frequently.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:55   #383
BHPian

Anyone has changed their older alloys (that came with their vehicle) to the new black 18inch diamond-cut ones?

Mine is a 2017 W10 AWT AT. I love the look of the new Diamond cut black alloys. If any of the new car owners are willing to sell their in exchange for my older alloys (and some $), please let me know. Thanks!!!
Old 20th October 2019, 21:36   #384
BHPian

Hello bhpians,

After 75,000 kms on the OEM Bridgestone Duelers HT it was time to change the tyres of my XUV 500 AWD to A/T Tyres.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-2.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3.jpg
Condition of the existing Bridgestone Duelers HT after running 75k kms with drives to South India, Ladakh and numerous short drives to Himalayas.

Discussed with fellow bhpians and did some market study to get discounted prices of the tyre options at Kolkata.

For the tyre size 235 65 R17, finally short listed the following AT tyres:

1. Maxxis 711 A/T tyre: Rs. 8,500/- (No warranty)
2. Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T tyre: Rs. 10,900/- (Two Year Warranty)
3. Goodyear Wrangler A/T tyre: Rs. 8,900/- (Two Year Warranty)
4. Ultramile 4x4 AT tyre: Rs. 9,500/- (One Year Warranty)
5. Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyre: Rs. 12,200/- (Two Years warranty)
6. Michelin LTX Force A/T: Rs. 12,850/- (Three Years warranty)

On the final day called Vikram ji and went to M.D.Tradelinks Pvt Ltd, Kolkata. It was Friday so the rush was less. Vikram ji arranged for showing all the tyres available for 235 65 R17. They did not have stock of Michelin LTX force and Pireli Scorpion hence could not check the tyres.

The experience was excellent as Vikram ji knew our Team-bhp Kolkata group very well. Most of our Kolkata Members go to his store for buying tyres and getting alignment and balancing done. The store has one of the best alignment mechanic in Kolkata.

Sharing the link of the store:
https://goo.gl/maps/UheJJE5xuT3ewaUD6

Checked Maxxis 711 and found the build quality to be very bad. The tyre also seemed very light compared to UM and Yoko. The worst part was it came without warranty.

UM 4x4 AT tyre was of better quality than Maxxis and came with One Year warranty. The negative was the white lettering on the tyre.

Goodyear Wrangler A/T was good but as I have been using it in my Safari so finally settled down to Yokohama Geolanders.

The Yokohama Geolander G015 came with Two Year Warranty. The tyre thread was good and depth of thread was better that Maxxis and UM. I had been using Yokohama Earth 1 in my Figo and had done Ladakh, Spiti, Himachal, Sikkim with them and was completely satisfied. Now it was time to test the ATs of Yokohama.

I was apprehensive about Yokohama Geolander as I knew that it came with the white lettering but to my good luck got a fresh set without the lettering. The tyres looked sober yet rugged.

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4.jpg
Side view before fitting to the XUV

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4a.jpg
Tyre thread of Yoko

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5.jpg
Tyre fitted to the OEM Alloy

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-6.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-7.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-8.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-8a.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-10.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-11.jpg

Drove my XUV for 500 odd kms on the highway with the new tyres the I am completely satisfied. Cornering stability, braking, comfort level at undulating roads were excellent. I was apprehensive about tyre noise as I was upgrading from HT to AT but to my surprise the noise was well under control even with windows rolled down. I still got a mileage of 12.5 kmpl on the highway, so the ATs did not affect the mileage, another pro

Lets hope for the best as I planning to drive to Gurudongmar during Christmas where I would try it on slush, snow and black ice.
I would post another review after that trip.

Last edited by lovecars21 : 20th October 2019 at 21:50. Reason: Data added
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:26   #385
KAN
BHPian

Guys - for XUV 5OO, please suggest between:
Bridgestone dulers H/T
Pirelli Scorpion Verde

And why!
I want to change the stock Bridgestone dulers since these have worn out now after 60k kms. Felt that the duelers got worn out slightly early (like 10k early). Still worked well.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 27th October 2019, 09:41   #386
BHPian

Scorpion Verde will be more plush. Duellers will give you more miles
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 15:36   #387
KAN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAN View Post
Guys - for XUV 5OO, please suggest between:
Bridgestone dulers H/T
Pirelli Scorpion Verde

And why!
I want to change the stock Bridgestone dulers since these have worn out now after 60k kms. Felt that the duelers got worn out slightly early (like 10k early). Still worked well.
Thanks in advance!!
Got Michelin LTX Force finally!...
Old 1st November 2019, 16:40   #388

My Feb 2013 W8 has Apollo as the stock tyres.
Have done 48000 Kms, mostly on highways including Yamuna expressway. It also had adequate share of bad roads and a bit of off-roading too.
Didn't have any worthwhile issues with the tyres till 43 K when two of the tyres developed leakages. I got 5-6 punctures fixed in each but the leakage hasn't stopped. I use nitrogen and have to top up these two tyres almost every fortnight.
Since its almost 7 years, I feel that the tyres need a change now.
I've shortlisted
- Yokohama Geolander ATS GO 15
- Goodyear Wrangler AT.
Have no experience of Yokohama but have got Goodyear on my Zen and I'm happy with that.
Advice from fellow bhpians is solicited on
- which brand to buy
- reliable dealers in NCR.
Thanks and regards to all.
Old 28th November 2019, 13:52   #389

Hello friends,

I drive a 2015 Dec W6 XUV and have clocked 52,000 kilometers on Bridgestone tyres on 17" Steel Rims which came as OEM fitment. I have been considering replacing the tyres & rims with alloys and wanted some guidance as follows:
  • Can I fit the 18" alloy provided on the new-gen W11 variant nowadays? Will there be any implications on tyre or suspension?
  • If above answer is YES, can I couple them with Michelin Primacy SUV tyres and expect good results?
  • If above answer is NO, then I would like to consider 17" alloys from non-OEM shops but a lot of them seem to be selling Chinese brands. Any suggestions on their reliability OR alternative brands will really help.
  • My online research tells me that Michelin Primacy are great tyres, any suggestions on alternative comparable brands / models will be really helpful.
Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th November 2019 at 14:07. Reason: Updated as bullet-points for better readability
Old 12th December 2019, 01:21   #390
Senior - BHPian

I am not able wrap my head around that fact that how someone can do this. XUV's ride quality with the stock 17inchers is horrible with these 22s, clattering of teeths of occupants would be always on.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20191212_011542.jpg  

BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks