Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 14:29   #751
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, seriously! Are these tyres made for India?

I replaced my 10,000 KM run Bridgestones with XM2 few days back, and already a blunt object has managed to pierce through the rear right. Needed a double patch in one spot. Hope it holds! Just cant believe my luck.

The tyres are great in terms of quietness, comfort and handling, but the compound should be tougher as we have 'far from perfect roads' in Bengaluru. Think I'll experiment with Yokos, the next time round.
I am running my third set of XMs [XM1 then XM2] across a Swift VDI & Fludic Verna SX which sums up to ~ 150K KMS. Experience has been extremely pleasant that also on not so good roads as you can guess from my location.
Think it is just bad luck that you encountered.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:10   #752
Senior - BHPian

I still cant get over the XM2. Earlier tyres needed to be checked for air pressure once in a fortnight and sometimes once a month even. But with XM2 I'm having to check tryre pressure every 10 days.

And usually find that the pressure is low, esp the front right and rear right. Is this normal as well? The road (If I can call it a ROAD) conditions near Marathahalli are pathetic after the rains, to say the least. So the tyres are doing extra duty as it is.

I think Ill have these checked up at the dealer.
Think it is just bad luck that you encountered.[/quote]
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 13:36   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I still cant get over the XM2. Earlier tyres needed to be checked for air pressure once in a fortnight and sometimes once a month even. But with XM2 I'm having to check tryre pressure every 10 days.

And usually find that the pressure is low, esp the front right and rear right. Is this normal as well? The road (If I can call it a ROAD) conditions near Marathahalli are pathetic after the rains, to say the least. So the tyres are doing extra duty as it is.

I think Ill have these checked up at the dealer.
Think it is just bad luck that you encountered.
[/quote]

Steel rim or Alloy wheels?

Old wheels or brand new?

This sort of thing is not possible on new Michelin tyres or any tyres for that matter.

It seems to be a leak somewhere else. Either through the rims, the valves, etc.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 13:49   #754
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil, To answer:

Steel rim or Alloy wheels? - Alloy

Old wheels or brand new? Brand New Neo

Ill drive in for a check. Thanks

This sort of thing is not possible on new Michelin tyres or any tyres for that matter.

It seems to be a leak somewhere else. Either through the rims, the valves, etc.[/quote]
Old 24th October 2017, 12:31   #755
BHPian

I'm due for a tyre change on my Ritz. My requirements (in priority order) are :
1. Robustness - I'm not a rash driver, but don't want a sidewall bulging because I missed noticing a pothole. With the condition of roads being what they are, this is bound to happen some day.
2. Comfort and Low-Noise: Ritz rear suspension isn't too nice, so anything that makes it better is welcome.
3. Grip: It's a Ritz, and is rarely pushed for performance. But, needs to have good grip for emergency braking situations.

I felt XM2s meet most of my requirements, but somewhat worried reading the statement quoted below as my car runs only 500kms/month. Any comments/recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
After the entire discussion, what the dealer implied was that only those should purchase Michelins whose running is on the higher side and can use the entire tread in a period of max 3-4 years.
For people whose running is on the lower side, should stick to regular brands with hard to medium compound rubbers.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 17:16   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I'm due for a tyre change on my Ritz. My requirements (in priority order) are :
1. Robustness - I'm not a rash driver, but don't want a sidewall bulging because I missed noticing a pothole. With the condition of roads being what they are, this is bound to happen some day.
2. Comfort and Low-Noise: Ritz rear suspension isn't too nice, so anything that makes it better is welcome.
3. Grip: It's a Ritz, and is rarely pushed for performance. But, needs to have good grip for emergency braking situations.

I felt XM2s meet most of my requirements, but somewhat worried reading the statement quoted below as my car runs only 500kms/month. Any comments/recommendations?
Obviously the kind of service that I have gotten from both the tire and the dealer, I am not touching a Michelin again. I absolutely mind to be a victim of highhandedness of the dealer after footing the premium bill for those tires which the company refuses to take any responsibility for. When the authorised tire dealer refuses to walk 10 mtrs for inspecting his own damn tire despite repeated requests, then the best answer I can give is only with my wallet. I still standby my decision as I had 2 more cars with XM1+ in my society building with identical failure.
I replaced them with Good Years with a 2 year unconditional warranty.

Check if you get Goodyear Assurance triple max tires in the required size. I have gotten them set up on my Civic as well and they are great tires for the price and overall performance is impressive too.

You can check my small review here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...max-tyres.html

Regards,
Saket.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to Goodyear or any of its dealers.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th October 2017 at 17:18.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 17:22   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check if you get Goodyear Assurance triple max tires in the required size.
Yes its available in 185/70R14 and recently one of my close friends got it for his Gen 1 Swift. IIRC, the price he paid was Rs.3700 per tyre excluding the buyback for old rubber.

Quote:
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to Goodyear or any of its dealers.
Amen!!
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 14:52   #758
BHPian

Quote:
I had 2 more cars with XM1+ in my society building with identical failure.... I replaced them with Good Years with a 2 year unconditional warranty.
Thanks for your inputs, and the review of all the tyres that you had explored. Now, I'm more confused - could it be the XM1+ was more problem prone that XM2?
Old 25th October 2017, 15:38   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, and the review of all the tyres that you had explored. Now, I'm more confused - could it be the XM1+ was more problem prone that XM2?
I'm not sure but I have reasons to believe the same, especialy for the initial batch of XM1+ which were manufactured circa 2010-11 in Thailand.

As per the reviews here XM2 looks to be better.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:09   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure but I have reasons to believe the same, especialy for the initial batch of XM1+ which were manufactured circa 2010-11 in Thailand.

Regards,
Saket.
I agree here since I had replaced MRFs of my estilo and Goodyears of my Santro with XM2, I drove estilo for 10K+ after that before selling and still driving Santro for more than 5K. Not a single puncture or issue at all. Rather the MRFs and Goodyears were having multiple punctures, in fact I had replaced a single goodyear before this mass replacement but that too was bad and got punctures in a month or so.
Do not know about XM1+ but surely XM2 are excellent tyres even in pathetic road cities such as Bangalore.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:28   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Take it from someone who has used both and in 2 cars.

WagonR

Way back in 2011 IIRC, I got a set of XM1+ replaced for my WagonR and I had to experience 2 sidewall bulges in under one month if I recollect, only because I took over a usual pothole at less than 60 KMPH which I otherwise did earlier with Bridgestones!

I lived with this tire with a tube inside for a super long time till I got ready to drive on the Golden Quadrilateral in 2012 when I replaced this with XM2 (all 4), and to tell you the fact, they lasted really well - With all abuse and the usual driving. No bulges on any of the 4 tires!

I recently replaced these with Yoko Earth 1 only because it had aged although tread was good but cracks had started to appear.

So the XM2 lived for at least 70,000 kms with cracks and age hinting me at replacement.

Ertiga

Having had a good experience with XM2 on WagonR, I got these on the Ertiga to replace the stock Good Years and again the experience was same - Good tires with a balanced combination of performance and life with use and abuse!

They lasted for 92,000 Kms when I replaced these with P3STs now.

So if the question is whether XM2 is better than XM1+, My answer would be a firm YES.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 19:21   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

I would accept your verdict with closed eyes as you have long experiences with both sets!

I believe Michelin took its own sweet time to actually 'cater' to the Indian market, or should I say, Indian conditions. They started off with XM1 which was a real soft tire and had complains of early wear and sidewall damages from users . Then they launched the XM1+, which was basically the same tire but with some extra tread rubber (~1.5mm if I remember correctly and that is why the '+' in the name)

They might have finally adapted to the Indian conditions with the XM2.

Last edited by saket77 : 25th October 2017 at 19:23.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 20:13   #763
BHPian

Quote:
They might have finally adapted to the Indian conditions with the XM2.
In my experience with XM2, they are very good tyres with respect road grip, noise and fuel efficiency. However, if you use your vehicle rarely (in my case it was clocking less than 2K per year), they deteriorate faster as compared to other brands I have had experience with.

So, I would not choose them unless I am putting them to good use

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 23:39   #764
BHPian

Quote:
.... but somewhat worried reading the statement quoted below as my car runs only 500kms/month. Any comments/recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Take it from someone who has used both and in 2 cars..... So if the question is whether XM2 is better than XM1+, My answer would be a firm YES.
Quote:
... They might have finally adapted to the Indian conditions with the XM2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
.... I would not choose them unless I am putting them to good use..
Like paragsachania, I've seen Michelin XM2 tyres perform pretty well on two of the cars in my family with varying usage patterns :

1) Figo 1.5 TDCi (185/65 /R14 XM2) -> My daily usage car. I've covered ~70000KM so far in about 2 years since purchase (I switched to Michelins right after taking delivery of the car). The tyres have been excellent. They still have atleast 10K KMs of decent life left in them. The ride quality and grip levels are still pretty good. Only thing is, one of the tyres had multiple punctures recently due to a nail that got stuck into it, which is forcing me to go for new tyres now (I'm currently using it with a tube inside).

2) Celerio AMT(185/65 /R14 XM2)->My father's car. We switched to Michelins right after taking delivery in this case as well. It's been about 20 months and the car has covered ~12000 KMs so far. The Michelins have been excellent here too. The comfort levels are even better in the Celerio (due to the lighter weight of the car I guess!)

So, I can say (through personal experience) that XM2s are really good for moderate(Celerio) to heavy(Figo) usage.
espraveen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 21:16   #765
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
However, if you use your vehicle rarely ...they deteriorate faster...
Whats your recommendation for a low use vehicle? Which ones served you well?
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed