Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:31   #766
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Update: Got my tyres changed to XM2s (185/70 R14), and I can say that ride quality has definitely gotten better. They are less noisy too, but the comparison point is OEM JK Vectras, so that's probably a given. Let's see how it goes.

Got the tyres from Tyre Empire in HSR Layout. Their technicians are good, but, the billing folks tried overcharging me for the balancing weights (like Rs. 600+ for weights, yes you read it right, just for weights, balancing was extra 600). I had to question the exact amount of weight used etc. after which the total came down by about 500 rs. Left a bad taste at the end of what could have been a pretty good purchase experience.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:49   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Update: Got my tyres changed to XM2s (185/70 R14), and I can say that ride quality has definitely gotten better. They are less noisy too, but the comparison point is OEM JK Vectras, so that's probably a given. Let's see how it goes.

Got the tyres from Tyre Empire in HSR Layout. Their technicians are good, but, the billing folks tried overcharging me for the balancing weights (like Rs. 600+ for weights, yes you read it right, just for weights, balancing was extra 600). I had to question the exact amount of weight used etc. after which the total came down by about 500 rs. Left a bad taste at the end of what could have been a pretty good purchase experience.
Tyre empire is always on expensive side plus they will not buy back old tyres. I think there is one shop at Lakshmipuram (Hercules??) where BHPians got good deals on tyres.
Only issue with Michelins (after having put them on 2 cars) is their grooves are very deep causing small stones getting stuck for long time and giving you uncomfortable noise when you pass by a wall or some surface that bounces noise.
But in any case I am a Michelin fan and highly recommend them.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 09:01   #768
BHPian

Quote:

Got the tyres from Tyre Empire in HSR Layout. Their technicians are good, but, the billing folks tried overcharging me for the balancing weights.I had to question the exact amount of weight used etc. after which the total came down by about 500 rs. Left a bad taste at the end of what could have been a pretty good purchase experience.
I changed my tires at the same place four months back and was billed by weight for the balancing weights. Was changing from JK Vectra to XM2 too just like you and the experience has been quite good. Much lesser noise and less bouncy ride as the car is also light and small.
Old 4th November 2017, 16:25   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Whats your recommendation for a low use vehicle? Which ones served you well?
Yokohama has served me well .
Currently using Earth1 on 2 of my cars.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 13:34   #770
BHPian

Got the XM2s for my Vento (195/60/R15) replacing the stock JK Vectras after 41K KMs. Driven only 20 Kms with the new XM2s, hence will wait for some more time before commenting on them. Most of the BHPians seem to be happy, so I will not worry much about them.

During the weekend, I noticed that two of my stock JK Vectras had developed a bald patch and had worn out. It was unsafe and I had to change the tires immediately since I have a long drive coming up soon. Initially, thought of heading to Nikhil but was not confident of driving till his shop with those tires. I was in HSR layout during that time, hence went to Tyre Empire (HSR Layout). I regret that decision now.

Tyre Empire, HSR is definitely not a place I would recommend. I paid Rs 6300 per tyre plus Rs 600 for alignment and balancing. Thy also charged for the valves (512 Rs for four). What irritated me was that they were asking for the secret customer feedback code which I received through SMS so that they can give themselves good ratings. I refused to give the code. I feel that I could have got the same tires from somewhere else for much cheaper. Since it was a bit of emergency situation, I couldn't check other places.
Kiterunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 17:17   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post
Tyre Empire, HSR is definitely not a place I would recommend. ....
What irritated me was that they were asking for the secret customer feedback code which I received through SMS so that they can give themselves good ratings. ....
The part about asking for the feedback code appears like "Standard Operating Procedure" for them. While waiting for my billing process to start, I saw them ask the same to another customer, and he refused saying - "This SMS says, don't share the code". To which, the cashier replied - "Yes sir, that's why I'm asking". I don't know if that was intended to confuse the customer or insult him by questioning his reading comprehension. Anyway, the customer didn't budge, and then I heard excuses like- "You will need to fill up a form, could take time". Hahaha, what creativity man!

When my turn came, after the billing fiasco, perhaps they didn't want to piss me off further, so I was given a laptop to key in my feedback instead of being "helped" by the cashier to fill up the feedback.

It is possible that the owners might have implemented the feedback process to ensure a reasonable quality of service to customers, and the employees are gaming the system to their advantage.
Su-47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 18:16   #772
BHPian

Quote:

It is possible that the owners might have implemented the feedback process to ensure a reasonable quality of service to customers, and the employees are gaming the system to their advantage.
Yes, the staff definitely are misusing the system.

Also they seem to push Michelin more. When I asked about Conti MC5s and Bridgestone, they just told me to go ahead with Michelin and never to bother with other brands. They told me that they don't have stock of MC5 or Bridgestones. Even though, I am a fan of XM2s based on the reviews here, it would have been good if I could compare few models and make a decision.
Kiterunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 14:27   #773

Me and a couple of buddies of mine have been planning to replace the tyres of our cars to Michelin XM2. We thought today might me the day we get them replaced. Thought to browse through the forums before heading out to Madhus, and now we are confused with all the options available from other brands.

Should we go ahead and stick to Michelin XM2 or should we consider other options.

Cars that need the new shoes.

Maruti Suzuki Swift - Alloy Wheels - 185/65 R15(MRF)
Maruti Suruki DZire - Steel Rims - 165/80 R14(JK)
Honda City - Alloy Wheels - 175/65 R15(Michelin)
Old 8th November 2017, 15:16   #774
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageraver View Post
Should we go ahead and stick to Michelin XM2 or should we consider other options.
You can confidently go with the XM2s. They are very reliable and last long too. Both my current cars have XM2s.
Old 16th November 2017, 19:55   #775
Senior - BHPian

After a colleague exchanged his 2k km run XM2s for Bridgestone B290s because he found the former too soft and too sticky/grippy (he started experiencing shoulder pain, is what he said), I had a hard time convincing a different colleague-friend to go for XM2s for his 50k run Ford Classic. This was in July 2016. The tyres were manufactured in March 2016.

Now, after 16 months and 23k kms, one of the tyres has developed a small, half inch vertical crack on the outer sidewall. At present, the crack appears superficial and just about a millimeter deep. The tyre shop dismissed it as such. But we feel it is going to enlarge because of the weight of the vehicle. Keeping our fingers crossed.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 20:16   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part about asking for the feedback code appears like "Standard Operating Procedure" for them. While waiting for my billing process to start

This forced feedback is very irritating and gets my goat. I was subjected to this at Tyre Empire-HSR and they gave me a laptop to enter my feedback code.

Another time, when I went for the last service to Skoda, I was asked to login to FB then and there and like their page and give a 5 star feedback.
I held my ground and asked them, "If I dont go to FB, will you not let me go home"? They smiled and relented. I advised them, not to pressurise me in the future or I wil give a crappy feedback just for this pressure.

I have rated many apps as 1 star on Playstore, and many transactions on Bigbasket and OLA just for the same reason.
Old 28th December 2017, 17:54   #777
BHPian

Purchased two XM2s for my 17 year old qualis today in 195/70 R14. I was on Goodyear Assurance and one of them had a sidewall failure when I hit a ditch on omr at about 60kmph with 6 people on board. Got an employee referral discount of 20%. I had to call all authorized dealers of Michelin in Chennai to find someone with stock in this size and with a recent date of manufacture. I got 3417 which is pretty good.
Old 30th December 2017, 16:50   #778
Senior - BHPian

Purchased 185/65R15 size Michelin XM2s yesterday from Sree Balaji Tyres in JC Road, Bangalore. Got the latest stock from September 2017 make.

I visited around 7 shops on JC Road and also called Sai Iyengar and Millivisions as well before making the deal with Sree Balaji Tyres. We paid 5,400/- for the Michelin XM2s which included Wheel Balancing. But they dont have wheel alignment and hence we had to get that done separately at Tyre Professionals. This was for my cousin's Ciaz Delta Smart Hybrid.

The price quoted by various dealers varied from 5,400 all the way till 6,200/-. Amazon.in has these tires for 5,109/- and with free shipping...I have provided a detailed review of Sree Balaji Tyres in the TeamBHP Directory here: URL

For the 185/65R15 size Michelin P3STs are not available and hence we went for the Energy XM2s.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 30th December 2017 at 16:52.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 07:26   #779
BHPian

My A-Star's Michelin XM2 got punctured recently. When I took it to the tyre shop, the owner showed me small cracks in the grooves due to the car not having been driven much and been parked for a long time. The tyres and the car are around 5 1/2 years old. He rotated the tyres, but told me to change them soon.

I am dissapointed as the tyres have covered less than 10k in 5 years over mostly Bangalore city roads. I want to know is there really an urgent need to change the tyres or can I keep using them for a few more months. I never drive fast or on the highway and take the car out 3-4 times a month.

Also, if I have to change the tyres (no upsizing), what would be your recommendation. I am wondering whether to got for a sturdier (but not too hard) tyre instead of the XM2, but don't want to compromise too much for ride comfort/noise.

The Prices I got from a couple of dealers here in Yelahanka were:
1. Bridgestone B290: Rs. 3,850/-
2. Michelin XM2: Rs. 4,250/-
3. Yokohama Earth-1: Rs. 4,100/-
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 08:06   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My A-Star's Michelin XM2 got punctured recently. When I took it to the tyre shop, the owner showed me small cracks in the grooves due to the car not having been driven much and been parked for a long time. The tyres and the car are around 5 1/2 years old. He rotated the tyres, but told me to change them soon.

The Prices I got from a couple of dealers here in Yelahanka were:
1. Bridgestone B290: Rs. 3,850/-
2. Michelin XM2: Rs. 4,250/-
3. Yokohama Earth-1: Rs. 4,100/-
I would recommend that you change the tires as it is approaching the 6 year mark soon. It is hard to comment without seeing the tires so you could take a second opinion from another tire shop as well. Here is the general recommendation with respect to tires:

Quote:
In general, the age-related guidelines stipulate that you replace your tires every 6 years, regardless of how well they may look by the end of this period.

However, major manufacturers of premium quality tires, like Michelin, claim their products can last for 10 years.
More Info - URL

All three tires chosen are good and you could choose anyone of them. The price quoted also looks competitive. However, you could call a few Tire Shops in J C Road so that you have double checked the price.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 31st December 2017 at 08:09.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks