Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 18th July 2018, 20:09   #796

Default Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

For folks who are thinking about Michelin XM2 as one of the options for their tyre change... A long term (long mileage) short review on the XM2 175/65/R14 on my Brio SMT (Manual Transmission)

Was using XM1+ for my Alto prior to Brio and had a very positive experience. Hence was quiet decided on wanting to change to Michelin's on my new car regardless of what stock tyre it was coming with.

So, when I got my Brio in 2013 Feb, directly took it to the tyre store right across the road to get all the 5 Apollo's changed to XM2.

Been running it since 2013 and it has given me a good 71000 kms (touching the thread wear indicator now, will run another 3-4 k but planning to change it soon) AND a pretty safe ones at that.

Was also getting above average fuel economy on highways (around 21 kmpl) and feel that the XM2's are contributing towards the fuel economy too. While Michelin talks about 30% more tyre life and more fuel economy on their website page for XM2, I am more inclined to now believe that those are not just promotional text.

With some attention to rotate, balance and align the Tyre's at necessary intervals and with the right air pressure, these tyres could very well outlast the average car ownership duration of 5 years (It could have easily touched 100,000 kms if only I has spotted an aliment issue a few thousand kms earlier)

Bottom Line: I think XM2 are one of the best tyres in India when it comes to all things + ROI
simplehuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 21:47   #797
Senior - BHPian

Got Michelin XM2 175/65 R14 installed in my Vista. Manufacturing date was of Jan 2018 for two of the four tyres and March 2018 for the other two. Total Cost came around Rs 19500/- including fitting, wheel alignment and wheel balancing. Cost of single tyre is 4700/- including GST.

Coming to experience, I have only driven 10 kms on these tyres and initial feedback is good. Road comfort & grip level felt good. The only negative I could find in this tyre is soft sidewall.
Old 18th August 2018, 01:00   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehuman View Post

Was also getting above average fuel economy on highways (around 21 kmpl) and feel that the XM2's are contributing towards the fuel economy too. While Michelin talks about 30% more tyre life and more fuel economy on their website page for XM2, I am more inclined to now believe that those are not just promotional text.

Bottom Line: I think XM2 are one of the best tyres in India when it comes to all things + ROI
I can certainly vouch for the same. Had Swapped the Crappy JK Tornados on my 2012 Dzire VDI with the XM2 185 70 R14 just after my first long drive on my new car. The Tyres provide noise free, Plush ride along with Excellent FE and Tire Life. I have recommended these Tires to many friends and relatives and have heard nothing but great feedback from all. It was the most satisfying expenditure on my car.

If one has to nitpick, I must confess that XM2s done make a style statement. Also My Brother used to mention that it flexes a bit more than his previous Bridgestone S322 around corners. I am not that sharp a driver so never noticed that.

Easily my pick for the best overall Tire award! Good Job Michelin!

By the way these have been available since 2011, any news on the XM3.
sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:44   #799
Senior - BHPian

Tread depth for Michelin XM2 (size: 205/65R15) after 60,000 Kms and 5 years.

Name:  XM2after60k.JPG
Views: 6417
Size:  21.6 KB

Fifth tyre hasn't seen usage in last 15k Kms as it has 4 punctures.
This entire set has had 7 punctures in last 5 years with last 2 monsoon seasons having 1 each. I have been following air top-up every week (rather than every 2 weeks earlier) in year 4 & 5 just to be puncture proof.

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-xm201.jpeg
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-xm202.jpeg

Tyres still offer good grip and comfortable ride, but have become bit noisy for obvious reasons. Current tread depth means these should last for another 5k Kms but due to surface level cracks I would change these. I had initially thought that these would barely last 50k kms, never expected these still working well at 60k Kms .
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 13:04   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Tread depth for Michelin XM2 (size: 205/65R15) after 60,000 Kms and 5 years.

Current tread depth means these should last for another 5k Kms but due to surface level cracks I would change these. I had initially thought that these would barely last 50k kms, never expected these still working well at 60k Kms .
I managed to get 78k from a set of 185/70R14 on my punto. I changed it at roughly the same stage. Cost per km is a bargain when you manage such a high mileage.
Old 26th October 2018, 13:09   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

And these XM2s on my Estimate had done 93000 Km when I replaced them with P3STs:

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-newold.jpg
Old 26th October 2018, 13:26   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I managed to get 78k
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And these XM2s on my Estimate had done 93000 Km when I replaced them with P3STs
Know these cases among other high usage cases on forum.
My usage is bit limited, daily usage only in monsoons & occasional usage on weekends in other seasons. Hence, my initial expectation was less.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:58   #803
BHPian

I have purchased one pre-owned Maruti SX-4 (VXI variant) car a year back. The tyres which came with the car lost tread, hence initially replaced the front two with Continental. But last week while taking a turn on my office premises, the front right tyre accidentally hit the corner of a square shaped concrete manhole cover and damaged the sidewall. The tyre burst on impact and the damage was found irreparable.

I decided to change all four tyres to XM-2, the front left (a good one) now working as spare. I was satisfied with Michelin, having used it extensively on my earlier car (now sold). In my last car I clocked 70,000 KM in two and half years, with only two or three occasional punctures.

The wheel balancing was complementary but I had to pay for the stickers used as weight. Four tyres (195X65X15R) had costed me Rs 25400/- (all included). Was the price reasonable?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Calcutta.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 10:19   #804
BHPian

I am confused between Michelin and Bridgestone on 165/65 R14 what do you guys suggest as my drive requirement is in the city monthly (1500 kms) with highways in 2 months (2000 kms up and down mostly to Kerala). Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 12:35   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
I am confused between Michelin and Bridgestone on 165/65 R14 what do you guys suggest as my drive requirement is in the city monthly (1500 kms) with highways in 2 months (2000 kms up and down mostly to Kerala). Thanks
Having used both, I now go with Michelin without any second thought. They are more silent and also last longer.
echo77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 14:34   #806
BANNED

I have found the Michelins to last really long. Have experienced in two of my cars over the past 10 years.
Sunil2307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:50   #807
BHPian

My Verna CRDI (2019) has come with stock tyres of Bridgestone Ecopia (195/55 R16). All the four of them belong to four different batches of manufacture (45/18, 47/18, 01/19, and 02/19). On investigation, it turns out that this is a Hyundai feature anyway to provide tyres of different batches.

At 3200 kms on the odo meter now, they are already making the weird noise of unevenness which a bad tyre should be making after a year and half or 25000 kms of running.

The Hyundai service centre people made me try another Verna with Bridgestone Ecopia of the same batch (all four tyres). That car must have run around 2000 kms, but belong to the showroom guys, may be used as test vehicle or so. That car too made the same road noise. And the Hyundai people say it is normal (which I disagreed with). I never had such experiences with even Bridgestone tyres in my previous car.

Now, one of my options may be to change all the four tyres into a headache-free Michelin (I had used XM2s on my Fiesta earlier for 67000 kms). How about changing from Bridgestone Ecopia to XM2? How do they fare in comparison? Is it wise enough or is it advisable to continue with these stock tyres? Are these Ecopias becoming bad these days?

How much will I have to shell out approx, and what can I expect on these stock ones at present?

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 13th May 2019 at 13:51.
Old 13th May 2019, 14:19   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
My Verna CRDI (2019) has come with stock tyres of Bridgestone Ecopia (195/55 R16). All the four of them belong to four different batches of manufacture (45/18, 47/18, 01/19, and 02/19). On investigation, it turns out that this is a Hyundai feature anyway to provide tyres of different batches.

At 3200 kms on the odo meter now, they are already making the weird noise of unevenness which a bad tyre should be making after a year and half or 25000 kms of running.

The Hyundai service centre people made me try another Verna with Bridgestone Ecopia of the same batch (all four tyres). That car must have run around 2000 kms, but belong to the showroom guys, may be used as test vehicle or so. That car too made the same road noise. And the Hyundai people say it is normal (which I disagreed with). I never had such experiences with even Bridgestone tyres in my previous car.

Now, one of my options may be to change all the four tyres into a headache-free Michelin (I had used XM2s on my Fiesta earlier for 67000 kms). How about changing from Bridgestone Ecopia to XM2? How do they fare in comparison? Is it wise enough or is it advisable to continue with these stock tyres? Are these Ecopias becoming bad these days?

How much will I have to shell out approx, and what can I expect on these stock ones at present?
Since the tyres are run for 3500 kms, you will get peanuts if you try to sell them at the dealership. I would suggest you stick with the tyres till they wear out. Meanwhile you can wind up the windows, turn on the music to reduce the botheration of the noisy tyres.

Also, reducing the tyre pressure by 1 or 2 psi over the manufacturer recommended may make things better inside the cabin. Give it a try.
Old 13th May 2019, 19:32   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Meanwhile you can wind up the windows, turn on the music to reduce the botheration of the noisy tyres.

Also, reducing the tyre pressure by 1 or 2 psi over the manufacturer recommended may make things better inside the cabin. Give it a try.
Thanks!
I have got the tyres checked at Hyundai service station today, and they are helpless. They are of the view that people generally change a single tyre and combine the new with the old and still have no problems (which means, we are purists &#128516.

Music is not an option anyway since the engine itself is to be listened to, at times, at least.

However, I have decided to follow your advice of putting 1 psi less, and have implemented it. I have just got nitrogen at 34 psi (as against the earlier 35). Let me give it a try.

I am also deciding not to change tyres in any hurry for now.

Somehow I am disillusioned with the Bridgestone Ecopia tyres. I was happy with them when I bought them from a Bridgestone authorised dealer at Karad in Maharashtra last year and drove my car for 22000 kms.

When the same tyres came as stock, they are turning out to be unsatisfactory.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 13th May 2019 at 19:40.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:20   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Thanks!
However, I have decided to follow your advice of putting 1 psi less, and have implemented it. I have just got nitrogen at 34 psi (as against the earlier 35). Let me give it a try.
35 PSI is very high. Reduce it to 32 or 31 PSI. Keep 34 PSI only at full load and for highway runs.

Most Viewed