Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 17:40   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Changed my sister's Brio'styres from 175/65-14 ZVTV to 185/65-14 XM2. The ride comfort is lovely. Still a little bouncy for my liking but I'm yet to blame it on either the stiffer suspension or higher air pressure. Didnt actually check how much the boys filled in.

Grip is definitely better. Earlier, while accelerating from a standstill, it was very easy to spin the tyres. It's a lot harder with the XM2s.

More opinions as I drive and test them!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 23:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

5000 Kms on XM2

The i20 successfully covered 5000 Kms on XM2's 185/65 R14. These tyres till date have endured all sorts of roads you expect to find in Delhi NCR, right from Smooth Carpeted to those displaying a wide range of Pot Holes Delhi's roads are capable of developing. Grip as I said before is amazing and so is the handling. Regarding handling on wet roads, there's not much to say now but within next couple of months this aspect shall be touched upon.

Within few days, I'll be getting Rotation, Balancing and Alignment done. That shall help put up a better review.

PS: No Punctures!

Last edited by tsk13 : 16th May 2012 at 23:53.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:20   #93
BHPian

Guys,

My Fiesta TDCi is on G3s and has covered 34K. Personally I found G3 to be very strong as have driven on non existant roads on Konkan, have driven hard and done cornering at 80+ and always with Nitrogen.

I only have issue is Road Noise has increased to a great level. So that makes me wonder that they have become hard. Ideally I see that they can last for another 10K for sure.

Would you reccomend changing to XM2 from G3 seeing my sporty driving characteristics and hard driving?
Old 17th May 2012, 17:31   #94
BHPian

Has Michellin launched 15 inch tyres in XM2 range and if so what are the available specs? My i20 runs on upgraded 15 inch wheels and I want to switch to the XM2s if they are available on 15 inch sizes.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:07   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Finally changes the OEM Goodyear tyres on my Estilo to 155/65/R13 XM2 ones yesterday. This was done at Lokmanya Tyres yesterday.

Experience was good and cost reasonable. It cost me Rs 11.5 for set of 4 after trade-in for old tyres. Few other dealers might be able to do it for 11K but it's a personal choice.

Have not driven much post the change, but the commute this morning over a highway stretch was noticeably better. There is perceptible lesser rolling friction and the car rides smoother. Let's see how this goes.
I had to get to Mumbai over the weekend to pick up family. This was a golden opportunity to test the new tyres over a longish distance. Normally I use the Xylo for out of town trips.
Since a lot has been said about the tyres, smoothness - I decided to take NH4 (old highway). For one, it is a tar road - driving on which I simply love. Secondly, there are some fantastic stretches on the old highway - not to mention absolutely scenic.

Smoothness of ride - There is definitely a smoother ride. Period. Maybe having N2 in the tyres made a difference, maybe not but it is easily felt.
Rolling friction : Much less compared to OEM goodyears and I could touch 100 kmph without any bother. In fact I was hardly under 70 except when slowing down.
Cornering : Unbelievable. On some stretches before Lonavala, taking turns at 80 earlier used to be felt in terms of the car motion. With XM2, the car is much more planted and the turn is completed with no corrections. With this confidence, the exit to Khopoli (post Khandala) was eagerly awaited. With no trucks, fabulous road quality the meandering road is a joy to drive on.

Full time AC, approx 120km, 80-90 km speeds, mileage of about 16 - I sure am happy!

Last edited by mmxylorider : 22nd May 2012 at 16:08.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Got the tyres replaced in my Figo with 185/ 65 R14 a few days back with Michelin XM2.

A set of four costed me Rs 18500 inclusive of alignment, balancing and Nitrogen.
The ride is quite nice. Supple yet firm and planted on the road. Changing from 175/65 to 185/65 also has helped me gain a wee bit of GC also (~7mm). In a Figo, thats a lot of consolation
What brand of OEM tyres were you running before the change? Any perceptible difference in fuel economy and braking performance?
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:30   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
What brand of OEM tyres were you running before the change? Any perceptible difference in fuel economy and braking performance?
I was running on MRF stock tyres prior change. I have not checked the fuel economy yet. But i dont think there would be much change to that. And for the braking performance, there's no succeptible change that i could notice. The ride on a whole has become more smooth anyways
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:52   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I was running on MRF stock tyres prior change. I have not checked the fuel economy yet. But i dont think there would be much change to that. And for the braking performance, there's no succeptible change that i could notice. The ride on a whole has become more smooth anyways
MRF to Michelin is a huge leap. I had done a similar change on my Ikon going from MRF to XM1+ and it made a world of difference to ride. Economy shouldnt be affected but I am sure you will get much better braking performance which wont be evident unless you really put it to test in extreme conditions
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:01   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
MRF to Michelin is a huge leap. but I am sure you will get much better braking performance which wont be evident unless you really put it to test in extreme conditions
The driving experience has changed a lot. It definitely was a huge difference indeed. And yes, you might be right about the braking performance. I havent put it to test yet. Pre monsoons have already started paying its odd visits in kerala and i have been maintaining the motto of "Safety is priority"
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:47   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Changed my sister's Brio'styres from 175/65-14 ZVTV to 185/65-14 XM2.
How are the sound levels when zipping on the highway 80+ ?
Old 24th May 2012, 16:50   #101
BHPian

got myself xm2 175/70 R-13. They are brilliant IMHO
Old 24th May 2012, 17:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Has Michellin launched 15 inch tyres in XM2 range and if so what are the available specs? My i20 runs on upgraded 15 inch wheels and I want to switch to the XM2s if they are available on 15 inch sizes.
According to the info on their website they do have 15 inches.
MICHELIN
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:19   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Changed my sister's Brio'styres from 175/65-14 ZVTV to 185/65-14 XM2. The ride comfort is lovely. Still a little bouncy for my liking but I'm yet to blame it on either the stiffer suspension or higher air pressure. Didnt actually check how much the boys filled in.

Grip is definitely better. Earlier, while accelerating from a standstill, it was very easy to spin the tyres. It's a lot harder with the XM2s.

More opinions as I drive and test them!
How much did the exchange cost you?

Break up will be helpful.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:39   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
How are the sound levels when zipping on the highway 80+ ?
No idea. Not driven it much since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
How much did the exchange cost you?

Break up will be helpful.
Well, it wont be right for me to say. I normally dont pay while changing tyres.

The market rate though is around 4900 for a brand new tyre and buyback of 175/65-14 is around 2-2.5k per tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 05:01   #105
BHPian

Purchased 4 XM2s for my 2010 ANHC in 175/65/R15 today. The car had MRF ZVTVs previously in the same size. I decided to stick to the same size.

I dint really know this thread existed until I read it now after purchasing the tyres. So I'm glad my money was well spent, comsidering the good opinions everyone has to say

Cost me Rs. 5175 per tyre. Total cost inclusive of wheel alignment, balancing and N2 filling came to Rs. 21900.

Drove about 50 kms today. So far I noticed its far far more silent and absorbs bumps much better. Dint get a chance to test the cornering abilities. Will keep you guys updated

Most Viewed