Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 11:57   #196
BHPian

re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Hoping that i have taken a wise decision of going for the A-Drives and do not regret Not going for the XM2. Time will tell. :-)
Don't worry about it. Both are great tyres and virtues of both have been put down earlier. It just comes down to personal preference when you decide to make the purchase.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:30   #197
BHPian

I got a call yesterday from one of the dealers enquiring about my decision. Told him that I went with another dealer and told him the price package (Rs 6,000 each) I had got. He immediately said ok and hung up. Called back after a minute to ask about the price and after I reconfirmed the price he said that this price was impossible from proper channels and most likely I have got "duplicate" tyres. Sour grapes or should I be concerned?!!

The dealer whom I bought from is "Ashoka Wheels" on Minister Road. Price aside they were a much better looking operation overall. They had a great shop which was relatively clean and good equipment for all the services they offered. The official Michelin dealer is "Wheels AP" Tarbund. Very average looking operation with usual garage look. I had gone to them with every intention of buying but did not buy for some reason.

How do I check if I have been sold original Michelins? I didn't get a warranty card from the purchase. Just a bill with products and services bought. Should I be asking for a warranty card?
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:11   #198
BHPian

I decided to write to Michelin India via their website to check on the validity of my tyre purchase. Lets see what the reply is from them about the dealer and my warranty.
Old 4th January 2013, 23:00   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
I got a call yesterday from one of the dealers enquiring about my decision. Told him that I went with another dealer and told him the price package (Rs 6,000 each) I had got. He immediately said ok and hung up. Called back after a minute to ask about the price and after I reconfirmed the price he said that this price was impossible from proper channels and most likely I have got "duplicate" tyres. Sour grapes or should I be concerned?!!

The dealer whom I bought from is "Ashoka Wheels" on Minister Road. Price aside they were a much better looking operation overall. They had a great shop which was relatively clean and good equipment for all the services they offered. The official Michelin dealer is "Wheels AP" Tarbund. Very average looking operation with usual garage look. I had gone to them with every intention of buying but did not buy for some reason.

How do I check if I have been sold original Michelins? I didn't get a warranty card from the purchase. Just a bill with products and services bought. Should I be asking for a warranty card?
AFAIK, Ashoka sells genuine stuff and his prices are significantly lower than the competition. He also helped me with warranty claims on one of the Goodyear tires I had purhased from him. I have purhased ALL my tires from him over the past ten years. This included one set of Michelin XM1 in 2007.
Also one of the best tire balancing amd alignment machines with experienced hands. Bill is all I also keep with me though even that may not be needed as they note the tire serial no in warranty claims.
You can call him to reconfirm. If he says they are genuine with warranty, I would believe him.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 4th January 2013 at 23:03.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 01:39   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
I decided to write to Michelin India via their website to check on the validity of my tyre purchase. Lets see what the reply is from them about the dealer and my warranty.
Did you get any reply from them, i have also bought XM2 tyres from them today,Please let me know if there is way to check the validity.
Old 6th January 2013, 15:27   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Did you get any reply from them, i have also bought XM2 tyres from them today,Please let me know if there is way to check the validity.
I did get a reply confirming that the dealer was an official dealer. Actually it was a phone call from the local Michellin staff. Told me not to worry about the dealer and that the tyres I bought would be covered by showing the Bill I got from the dealer.
nikhil.nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 23:37   #202
BHPian

Folks,

Got my Verna a mini makeover today which included having the tyres changed. Only when Jitesh [at BK Tyres, Lajpat Nagar - went there on heavy recommendation of fellow bhp-ites; somehow unable to post my review of BK Tyres in that thread :(] has the tyres taken off did I realize how good it was that I realized that I should not run my already worn out tyres any more before that planned trip to Auli next weekend. They were in pretty bad shape; so much so that I got only 200/- for all 4 tyres...
anyway, coming to the point, got myself Michelin XM2 185/65r14 @ 4650 a piece (less 200 for the old tyres - think a tad higher than what others have posted here which I did not expect from BK given flowery reviews)
The ride was immediately smoother and given that I was running on very worn out tyres felt very good driving around randomly with the new tyres
will post the experience of my anticipated Auli trip this weekend; 1 key reason I changed (& thank god I did!) was that there is likely to be some ice on the roads up there. I had run the stock tyres till 52K kilometers in around 4.75 years
Old 20th January 2013, 09:08   #203
BHPian

Hi Team,

I need the advice on changing the stock tires of my Wagon R K10 VXI 2011 model with retro fitted CNG.I have already covered close to 36000 kms in last 2 years.Stock tires are from Apollo 3G.However,I never got the required grip from the front ones.They usually slip on most of the inclined roads while climbing.

Shall I go for XM2 ? If yes then what size shall I prefer keeping in mind that I need better road grip and I am ready to sacrifice on some fuel average.I may be changing in few months hence not in hurry but want to make up my mind in advance since I am planning to change nearing to 45000 Km.My daily running is close to 130 km of mixed roads, non existent as well as DELHI GURGAON roads : ).
Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 21st January 2013, 14:33   #204
BHPian

Michellin xm2 is as good as it gets. I have covered approx 9000 kms on them and have absolutely no complaints. I covered bangalore to guwahati on them. The grip is phenomenal even on wet surfaces and not a single puncture till now
:-)
Oh plus I think I can also count the yogdan of nitrogen in my tyres.

Last edited by blurust : 21st January 2013 at 14:38.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:20   #205
BHPian

Replaced the stock Ceat 'Milaze' 155/80 R13's on my A-Star Automatic with XM2s (same stock size). Got the replacement done at Sai Iyengar Tyres Indiranagar. Decided to change the spare as well as I was getting a good price. Around 6k net for the entire set after exchange.

First impressions:
1. The tyres look better than the stock CEATs.
2. The claim about low rolling resistance seems to be true. The acceleration is smoother and the car coasts more easily.
3. The steering is surprisingly more direct.
4. Do not know about road noise as yet, will see with time.
5. Biggest improvement is the ride quality. With the stock CEAT's the car would crash through even the minor potholes and road ruts. Granted, the tyres do not make the A-Star turn into a Punto for ride comfort, but going over potholes is now less jarring.

All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 25th January 2013, 16:49   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam quite a bit away from my tyre upgrade but, it doesnt harm in keeping myself abreast with latest and greatest in tyres.

What is the sizes that are available for a 16" wheel?

My car's stock size is 205/60/R16. Any other variations on this wheel size available in XM2?

Also, what could be the tentative pricing?
Old 25th January 2013, 17:11   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam quite a bit away from my tyre upgrade but, it doesnt harm in keeping myself abreast with latest and greatest in tyres.

What is the sizes that are available for a 16" wheel?

My car's stock size is 205/60/R16. Any other variations on this wheel size available in XM2?

Also, what could be the tentative pricing?
mobike008 - as you may already know, link below will give you potential options (in stock size) and tentative pricing. Tire shop prices in face to face discussions will be generally lower than these (my view and actual experience).

From Michelin it's only Primacy LC in this size.

BTW, out of the lot, I am surprized that only Michelin and JK Vectra are V rated (speed rating), all others are H.

Hope this helps.

http://www.changemytyre.com/tyres/ca...ID=1&CityID=45
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 17:17   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
mobike008 - as you may already know, link below will give you potential options (in stock size) and tentative pricing. Tire shop prices in face to face discussions will be generally lower than these (my view and actual experience).

From Michelin it's only Primacy LC in this size.

BTW, out of the lot, I am surprized that only Michelin and JK Vectra are V rated (speed rating), all others are H.
Thanks, I know of this linky but, wanted to know specifically if this size was available in XM2. Apparently, its not there.

I would never buy a JK or a Potenza

My choice is already narrowed down to Michelin or CPC2. 95% it will be again CPC2 as I am ecstatic about my current set of tyres which has completed 35,000kms and look good for another 20,000kms
Old 29th January 2013, 21:29   #209
BHPian

Switched to XM2 a set of 4 tyres in the stock size 175/70/13 on my OHC
Cost me Rs 17000 ie 4250 / tyre at Thrissur Kerala
Alignment + Balancing + Nozzle for tubeless + fitting all together Rs 550
Total damage to pocket Rs 17550

The only catch is the tyre manufacturing date is 0612 .
Looks almost an year old , I was in a hurry and there was no much options at that time.
Hoping that it wont be an issue . On initial drive on highway for around 100 KM no much difference felt from the Old MRF ZVT as it was a sedate drive due to family presence in the car. Need to drive more to know the performance .
Old 30th January 2013, 10:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

I got an upsize on my Punto to Michelin XM2 185/70R14 from JK Tornado OEM at Newbharath Pitstop EKM Bypass. The sales guy said that the new tyres don't have a problem with weak sidewalls and were better than G3 at water drainage. G3 was at 4.8k and they didn't have MY-02 which is what I was looking for.

Tyres cost 4.9k apiece. Alignment and balancing done, the rear left rim had a bend. The steering was initially lighter than usual, checked the pressure on my own the next day the Front/Rear was at 36/34, 4 psi above normal. The tyres makes the car look a lot better.

Total damages 20130/-.

Most Viewed