Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 10:44   #226
BHPian

re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Does anyone have technical specs on the XM2, ply, tread depth compared to XM1+.
Also how is its behaviour regarding the puncture, and soft sidewalls.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:13   #227
BHPian

Recently, bought a set of four XM2s in 185/70R14 size for my car. Got them for Rs. 4450 per tyre. The price also included free balancing and Nitrogen.

Now, coming to the tyre, I had used the stock JK tyres for only about 20-30kms. So for me, the only apparent thing was the reduction in tyre noise when compared to the stock tires. During a recent long drive with my family, I found the ride comfort to be good. No harsh feeling of potholes and bumps. But then, credit also goes to my car which is a FIAT Punto.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:14   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post

I changed to XM2 (from Stock Bridgestone B250) recently on my Civic.While returning to Bangalore from Chennai, there was a hilly stretch near Chittoor where the Road is being widened (road was non existent with only loose rock pieces).I did take the stretch very slowly, nevertheless XM2 did quite well.No Cuts or Punctures.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:24   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Does anyone have technical specs on the XM2, ply, tread depth compared to XM1+.
Check their website. AFAI can remember they claimed to have improved thread life and durability....also check reviews from users of both
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:43   #230
Senior - BHPian

Been using 185/65 R14 XM2+ tires since december 2012 now. They were super silent initially but have started getting a little noisier after around 3k kms. The grip levels and braking have significantly improved over my 165 section Bridgestone tires.

However, last week due to a slight mis-judgement while parking, one of the tires scraped the pavement and there was a deep cut on the side wall which resulted in a punctured tire. I asked a tire shop fellow and he suggested to fill the cut from inside and place a tube in and run the tire normally. I was sceptical, hence,chose to temporary replace it with the 165/80 R14 spare wheel. Is it advisable to fit a tube in and leave it in the boot as a spare wheel and run the car with 3 185s and 1 165 section tire. The silly question cause the car will be used only for city runs in these 2 months after which we are looking to replace the Ritz anyway. Kindly suggest.

Last edited by S2!!! : 3rd April 2013 at 03:45.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:42   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I asked a tire shop fellow and he suggested to fill the cut from inside and place a tube in and run the tire normally. I was sceptical, hence,chose to temporary replace it with the 165/80 R14 spare wheel. Is it advisable to fit a tube in and leave it in the boot as a spare wheel and run the car with 3 185s and 1 165 section tire. The silly question cause the car will be used only for city runs in these 2 months after which we are looking to replace the Ritz anyway. Kindly suggest.
My share of experience of putting tube in atubeless tire.
I had an issue of faulty puncture in two tires (XM1+) which refused to get rectfied after mutiple attempts. So I too was suggested same option. However the issue is the tubes aren't available of this size. Mostly you get 155/70/14 or 13. Point is its tough to get the same sized tube, and what you will be getting will be a smaller size than your tyre. Firstly it's not reccomended to do it as you will be overinflating the tube, secondly there isn't any reputed brand making them (I thnk only JK). So even if you get a good company tube, and count on its reliabilty, that you can overinflate it to meet tyre size, the amount of air pressure required will be allotgether different. I don't know if any readily available formula is there by which you can know that if your 165/80R14 tubeless tire have 32 psi, then how much a 155/70 R14 tube should be overinflated to have same amount of pressure.
Coming to practical grounds, in one tire I am using a undersized tube with around 37 psi (jsut on assumption, again no formula for same), and its working fine, and in other tire I keep getting the air pressure rechecked twice a week.
However as your sidewall is having pucture I dont think you can go with second option, and also as your running isn't too much, you can take the chance to put a tube. Just try if you can get the similar sized tube.
Also the markings on tube means they are meant for which tire, not its inner or outer volume like tires.
hrsraghav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 15:27   #232
BHPian

Yesterday, I got 4 x Michelin XM2 185/70/R14 for Swift VXi.
Cost was 4600.00 per piece w/ 3 years warranty + 2% for CC
No cash back for stock tires (7 yrs only and 40,000 km)
Total 18768.00

I also found the rates for MRF Zlo (same size), it was 3800.00 per piece.

Finally, decided to go with the Michelin. First impressions, as every one feels, is the low road noise. Will post more details pics later.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:55   #233
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning to change tires on my Palio Stile which has done 23K kms. Stock tires are fine. Took the car to Venkatesh (Gowri Auotomobiles) to get the cabin noise checked which I want to minimize to zero (), he has recommended tire change. He says there is problem with the current tires (pointing to the side wall) as there is a wierd noise coming from them.

Yoko A-Drive and Michelin XM2 seem to be two options for 185/70/R13.
Based on the reviews on this thread, XM2 looks like a good choice. Any idea on the prices? I checked with Slick Cars near Silk Board, he is quoting 5250 per tire on XM2 and 4450 for A-Drive. Is it a good price? Balancing is free, but need to pay Rs. 200 for alignment.

Thanks, Prashanth
Old 12th April 2013, 17:47   #234
BHPian

prashkul, Just check one post above yours. I got XM2 185/70/R14 for 4600.00/piece with 3 years warranty. I have seen some getting lower than that in this thread. In my case, alignment and balancing was also included in the cost.
Old 12th April 2013, 18:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Been using 185/65 R14 XM2+ tires since december 2012 now.
However, last week due to a slight mis-judgement while parking, one of the tires scraped the pavement and there was a deep cut on the side wall which resulted in a punctured tire.
Holy cow, how could that side wall get cut at parking speeds? When I bought XM2s, the dealer said they had the toughest side walls in the segment.

Now I am confused.
Old 12th April 2013, 20:02   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Holy cow, how could that side wall get cut at parking speeds? When I bought XM2s, the dealer said they had the toughest side walls in the segment.

Now I am confused.
Probably the afternoon heat and the bluntish edge of the footpath were the culprits. However, have purchased a new XM2+ piece for 4500/ a couple of days ago and am good to go.

If you are having doubts on your purchase, I have used the xm2+ set for around 10k kms now and I can vouch for its grip, comfort and its almost silent nature. The tyres have more pros than cons but not sure about the statement of your dealer which probably is just sales talk.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:50   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
I changed to XM2 (from Stock Bridgestone B250) recently on my Civic.While returning to Bangalore from Chennai, there was a hilly stretch near Chittoor where the Road is being widened (road was non existent with only loose rock pieces).I did take the stretch very slowly, nevertheless XM2 did quite well.No Cuts or Punctures.
If I am correct, Civic comes with 195/60/R15 and for this size there is no XM2 from Michelin.
For this size Michelin offers Primacy, please check which one did you get.
Old 13th April 2013, 20:09   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
If I am correct, Civic comes with 195/60/R15 and for this size there is no XM2 from Michelin.
For this size Michelin offers Primacy, please check which one did you get.
Civic comes with OE Size 195/65/15.I upgraded to XM2 - 205/65/15
Old 15th April 2013, 09:48   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
prashkul, Just check one post above yours. I got XM2 185/70/R14 for 4600.00/piece with 3 years warranty. I have seen some getting lower than that in this thread. In my case, alignment and balancing was also included in the cost.
For 185/70/R13, couple of dealers are quoting more than what was mentioned in the said post.

Reliance Autozone: Rs. 5125. Currently out of stock.
Slick Carz: Rs. 5300. He doesn't have the tyre either, but can get the same day if ordered.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:20   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
For 185/70/R13, couple of dealers are quoting more than what was mentioned in the said post.
175/70/R13 for my Old Honda City 2002 I purchased it for Rs 4250 . I also wanted 185/70/R13 at that time, there was no stock and due to less common size dealers are charging more for that size. A difference of Rs 1000 per Tyre was not worth so bought stock size of my car instead of up sizing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks