Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 23:43   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

XM2s are pretty good on bad roads. We have not heard of too many complaints on the XM2. They do seem to be quite strong.

195 would be grippier but I personally dont think the extra 10mm is worth the loss in GC and ride comfort. It's not like the i20 will be used on track to actually make use of the extra 10mm. :P
Old 12th July 2013, 23:50   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
XM2s are pretty good on bad roads. We have not heard of too many complaints on the XM2. They do seem to be quite strong.

195 would be grippier but I personally dont think the extra 10mm is worth the loss in GC and ride comfort. It's not like the i20 will be used on track to actually make use of the extra 10mm. :P
Haha. True. Just coming from a swift vdi, I wanna make sure I have all the control I can get :-)

By the way, does 185/65 > 195/60 have such a noticeable difference in ride comfort?
Old 13th July 2013, 00:51   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont know. I have never experienced it but some people to claim that there is an appreciable difference.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:24   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
For 185/70/R13, couple of dealers are quoting more than what was mentioned in the said post.

Reliance Autozone: Rs. 5125. Currently out of stock.
Slick Carz: Rs. 5300. He doesn't have the tyre either, but can get the same day if ordered.
Check with Sai Iyengar ,Indiranagar.
I got XM2 185/70R14 for 4500 with decent cash back of my old used tyres and I paid cash.Price includes VAT bill with fitment, alignment and balancing.
I am not promoting the dealer so just google their name ans you will find the coordinates.
Old 16th July 2013, 21:25   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

A neighbor of mine has recently joined the Michelin tyre unit in Chennai, expected to commence production in a few months. He is in a fairly senior position on the production side, and informs me they are being paid for the past couple of months just to learn French daily! A group, including him visited their factory in Thailand for a week's training recently.

Though they will start with truck tyres initially, he says car tyres will also be produced here after a while. So hopefully in the future, any queries you guys have, I might be able to get the answer from the horse's mouth!
There is more good news about this gentleman! He has been selected for training in the parent company in France and will spend one full year there! So he is temporarily re-locating there with family, probably next month!

Hopefully we can get many interesting news and tidbits, perhaps even a few pictures from time to time!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 21:34   #321
BHPian

Have been using the XM2 for past couple of months and am quiet happy with the tyres. They are pretty good in terms of grips and are not noisy.

Have coverered following trips with them with 100% fully satisfied

1 Delhi - Ajmer - Delhi
2. Delhi - Chandigarh - Delhi
3. Delhi - Himachal - Delhi
4. Daily city drives Delhi NCR region ranging to 50 - 100 kms per day.

The drive includes good, bad and very bad roads overall.

Last edited by invincible7 : 16th July 2013 at 21:38.
Old 18th July 2013, 22:52   #322
BHPian

Have been using XM2 for past 6 months, in bombay roads, and navi mumbai 'no' roads.
Definitely recommended. I chose these only for one reason. Less tyre noise.
Overall puncture rates are similar to bridgestones (which the car came equipped with).

Grip wise, there is mild improvement. Otherwise, they are more or less the same in other aspects compared to their competitors. You do pay more for the brand though.

Me, I am happy since I got what I wanted.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 20th July 2013, 00:13   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Nikhil..I was hoping you can help. This is for Ford ecosport 1.5 Diesel Ambient version. I want to upgrade from 195/65/R15 to 205/65/R15 ) but i am confused with the options

Michelin XM2 or Primary LC / Continental / Pirelli / Yokohoma A or C drive / Bridgestone GR60

What do you think I should choose? my requirement is as below.
This is only for city driving
1) Improve Grip (no ABS on this version)
2) Improve Ride quality (Ecosport ride is stiff)
3) Need strong sidewalls since i tend to overlook potholes sometime

So which among these tyres are best suited to my requirement?

Sorry for bothering you but was kind of lost and so hoping you can help. Tried sending you a private message but i guess your inbox is already full with queries from illiterate folks like us.
Old 20th July 2013, 16:19   #324
BHPian

I've upgraded my Punto's tyres to XM2s 185/70 R14 yesterday from Reliance Auto zone, Hyderabad. It costed 18000₹ for 4 tyres. Just driven for about 30kms, tyre noise has definitely come down. Driving to Tirupati next Friday, that will tell me by how much the noise has come down. Thanks to information on this forum which helped me zero in on these tyres.
Old 20th July 2013, 17:23   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Just driven for about 30kms, tyre noise has definitely come down. Driving to Tirupati next Friday, that will tell me by how much the noise has come down.
New tyres require some running-in like a new engine. So your Tirupati trip may not give you exact idea. Rather avoid pushing the car during initial few hundred kms. Wait for atleast 500-1000 kms before making any judgement on any kind of performance.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 20th July 2013 at 17:24.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 19:31   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Hi Nikhil..I was hoping you can help. This is for Ford ecosport 1.5 Diesel Ambient version. I want to upgrade from 195/65/R15 to 205/65/R15 ) but i am confused with the options

Michelin XM2 or Primary LC / Continental / Pirelli / Yokohoma A or C drive / Bridgestone GR60

So which among these tyres are best suited to my requirement?

Sorry for bothering you but was kind of lost and so hoping you can help. Tried sending you a private message but i guess your inbox is already full with queries from illiterate folks like us.
What is the stock tyre?

If it is a Goodyear Assurance, dont change it. The Assurance is good enough.

Secondly, 205/65-15 is a size where you have lots of options. The Michelin XM2 seems like a good bet. The new Bridgestones also seem to be good. The A drive is a little soft but it's a very good tyre as well. The Primacy LC is currently not available in this size. And it's too soft. I wouldnt recommend it on an SUV like the Ecosport. Yokohma C drive is soft as well. But I think it's a little more rugged than the PLC. Pirelli also seems good going by online reviews but I havent had any personal experience.

All the tyres in this category will suit your requirements. I suggest you go with whatever fitsi n your budget and whatever you like the best.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 00:08   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Hi Nikhil..I was hoping you can help. This is for Ford ecosport 1.5

Dear urajkumar sir,

Nikhil sir has already given his reply. I hope you won't take offense if I chip in. I have had experience with XM2, PLC's, A drives, and Conti's CPC2 albeit in different vehicles. They more or less ply on similar roads, and are driven hard. Here's my take. For your requirements:
1) The goodyears (if your car came equipped with) are good enough. They just tend to get a lot noisier as they age.
2) Don't think of yoko's. C drives are soft. A drives are better suited for our scenarios, but once again, my experience says that they are little more puncture prone.
3) Amongst the michelins, XM2's are your better bet.
4) Conti's suit your purpose to the 'T'. Silent (though not as much as michelins), strong sidewalls, excellent wet grip.

Ultimately, it will be your choice. Again, my sincere apologies if you found my advice unwarranted.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:59   #328
Senior - BHPian

2013 XM2s are not available in Kochi at the moment. The latest I saw in a shop was July 2012.

I think they all are in the storage considering the imminent price hike due to the Rupee devaluation against the dollar.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:21   #329
BHPian

Quote:
All the tyres in this category will suit your requirements. I suggest you go with whatever fitsi n your budget and whatever you like the best.
Thank you for your inputs Nikhil, Once i know my stock tyres, I will make my decision as suggested by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

Nikhil sir has already given his reply. I hope you won't take offense if I chip in. I have had experience with XM2, PLC's, A drives, and Conti's CPC2 albeit in different vehicles. They more or less ply on similar roads, and are driven hard. Here's my take. For your requirements:
Thank you Simple_Car for taking time to give your valuable feedback on your real world experience. Sincerely appreciate it. Team BHP rocks only because of users like you & Nikhil who are always there to guide us lost folks.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:24   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
2013 XM2s are not available in Kochi at the moment. The latest I saw in a shop was July 2012.

I think they all are in the storage considering the imminent price hike due to the Rupee devaluation against the dollar.
Hi deetjohn, my xm2 set purchased a few days back is of the lot of 18.13 and 20.13, so they are available and actively imported. These are made in Thailand. Size under discussion is 185/70R14

Most Viewed