Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 14:42   #406
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Yes you should, got a quote for 4,800 in Gurgaon for my wife's SWIFT.
Old 5th December 2013, 18:30   #407
BHPian

Got em XM2's on my swift.

Only things i can say are, that the ride is like on rails on a clean stretch but is harsh on bad roads. The grip levels have improved and break distance has decreased considerably. I was amazed at the grip in a small accident.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:24   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
Got em XM2's on my swift.

Only things i can say are, that the ride is like on rails on a clean stretch but is harsh on bad roads. The grip levels have improved and break distance has decreased considerably. I was amazed at the grip in a small accident.
What were your Swift's previous Tyres ? xm2 tyres are way more comfortable than stock JK tyres based on Tyre change I did on Ritz.
Did you upsize?
Old 8th December 2013, 12:13   #409
BHPian

Finally brought 5 XM2's for my Old Verna yesterday. Initial observation was low noise compared to the previous set of XM1+.
The ride felt almost the same as the old tyres. This was with city driving yesterday, will get a better picture may be after a highway drive.
Old 9th December 2013, 19:55   #410
BHPian

Installed new xm2s on my fiat Petra
Have just driven the car for about 5 Kms after that so don't have clear idea about their performance

Hopefully will be doing a drive to lonavala in the weekend and that will give better picture of tyres performance
Old 12th December 2013, 22:13   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Did you upsize?
Yes i upsized to 195 . 65 R15. from stock Bridgestones
Old 24th December 2013, 12:05   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Shifted to XM2 for my Alto some 5K KM's back. Extremely satisfied with the ride quality and grip compared to previous Bridgestone.
Was initially bit worried if the side walls will give up in bad roads, had taken few hits till now without any issues.
Only issue I had faced is the tyre tends to loose grip on road surface with large amount of tar, like in junctions which has huge truck traffic causing roads to be uneven.
This makes me worried how the wet surface grip will be.
Old 24th December 2013, 13:38   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Only issue I had faced is the tyre tends to loose grip on road surface with large amount of tar, like in junctions which has huge truck traffic causing roads to be uneven.
This makes me worried how the wet surface grip will be.
I think what you are facing is not a lack of grip but rather a phenomenon known as tramlining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 00:53   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Installed new xm2s on my fiat Petra
Have just driven the car for about 5 Kms after that so don't have clear idea about their performance

Hopefully will be doing a drive to lonavala in the weekend and that will give better picture of tyres performance
Update:
Car has done almost 1000 kms more including Mumbai - Lonavla - Mumbai

Car surely feels more planted and just hugs the roads. Braking has improved a lot

So overall, in dry conditions quiet a bit of improvement

Not known is long term durability and wet road grip
rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 10:54   #415

Day before yesterday, I up-sized my Dzire VDI's tyres to Michelin XM2 185/70/14 (wheels aligned and balanced). The ride quality has improved but not as much as I have read about them. No doubt, the tyre noise has reduced considerably. I hope they settle further with time.

That's ok! What I'm worried about is yesterday's incident. The north bound Jogeshwari flyover has been scrapped for restoration. Such scrapped roads have uneven & not-very-straight lines. The car began swinging right & left as per the grooves on the road.

Is it because Michelin have soft compound and since the tyres get a better grip, they were being guided as if on rails? Has anyone else faced similar situation on Michelin.
Old 31st December 2013, 12:17   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-O-H View Post
Is it because Michelin have soft compound and since the tyres get a better grip, they were being guided as if on rails?
This phenomenon known as tramlining has been explained 2 posts back by 'vikram_d'. This can happen with any tyre, not just Michelin.
Old 31st December 2013, 13:21   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
This phenomenon known as tramlining has been explained 2 posts back by 'vikram_d'. This can happen with any tyre, not just Michelin.
Hey sukiwa, thanks for the clarification . Just that the conditions in mpksuhas' post sounded different, so wasn't sure.
Old 1st January 2014, 12:53   #418
BHPian

Hi, I've been using stock JK tyres of 185/70R14 on my Dzire. The tyres are really bad in terms of wet grip levels, noise, and comfort. However, they have been extremely reliable under some very diverse terrains. I've had only 1 (and that too very minor) puncture in 42000 Kms.

Now I'm planning to change to XM2's. Reading the posts above, I get the feeling that inspite of improved side walls, people are still reporting a significant number of punctures. I agree that presence of nails and other sharp objects may puncture any tyre, however tough.

If my top priority is to have a minimal number of punctures, does it make sense to still move to XM2s after considering the overall advantages? Thanks!
Old 1st January 2014, 21:01   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
If my top priority is to have a minimal number of punctures, does it make sense to still move to XM2s after considering the overall advantages? Thanks!
I have XM1+ on my Palio, have driven around 40k kms over past 5 years, had just 4 punctures so far...
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:30   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post

I changed to XM2 on my santro at around 45K KMs. Now in the past 1 year/15K KMs in city driving conditions I have had 2 punctures, while the previous good year tyres did not have any puncture under exactly same road conditions.
So, 1 thing is for sure that the XM2 tend to get puncture more easily than JK/GY/MRF etc.
But the handling/braking/Fuel efficiency/road silence is phenomenal in XM2.

So, its basically a trade off.
I am under the same dilemma currently for my new car to change the stock GY to XM2 or not. But considering the fact that my driving will be 50 percent on highways in the new car, I would not like to be stranded in the middle of nowhere at highways at night (in case of damaged side walls).
Though I really miss the silence/driving pleasure of XM2 in my new car.

PS: I have bought a Coido air pump for my santro, maybe you can go in for XM2 & keep the pump with you for puncture situations.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks