Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 11:57   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Sorry Sateesh, I should have mentioned the size. Its 195/60 R15!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@anachronix - If it is 175/70-R13 I would be interested. Pls. confirm the tyre size
Old 19th September 2014, 11:13   #512
BHPian

My stock Apollo tyres have served me well for 48K kms in my i20 magna and its time for change.
Thinking of changing to Michelin XM2 185/65r14.
I am getting a quote of Rs. 4800 per tyre in Pune from authorized Michelin dealer which includes installation, wheel alignment etc
Is this a good deal?
Old 20th September 2014, 21:19   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
My stock Apollo tyres have served me well for 48K kms in my i20 magna and its time for change.
I am getting a quote of Rs. 4800 per tyre in Pune from authorized Michelin dealer which includes installation, wheel alignment etc
Is this a good deal?
That sounds like a fair price for the XM2, if you're looking for more economical tyres, I understand the Apollo Acelere is available @ ~4,000.

But do please let me know the reason behind undersizing your tyres?
Isn't the stock size 185/70R14? or 195/55R16 for the higher end car?
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:12   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
That sounds like a fair price for the XM2, if you're looking for more economical tyres, I understand the Apollo Acelere is available @ ~4,000.

But do please let me know the reason behind undersizing your tyres?
Isn't the stock size 185/70R14? or 195/55R16 for the higher end car?
Mine is a May 2010 i20. They had 175 profile tyres. I believe in latest i20 they have 185 standard.
Hence in a way it is a upsize.
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:11   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Is this a good deal?
Price is very good for XM2. In bangalore it is more than 5K per tyre excluding alignment,balancing.

I would say its a good deal.

185/65R14 is the right size. Our i20 Asta has the same size
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:26   #516
BHPian

got the michelin xm2 in stock size for my new polo gt tsi in carbon steel today - had a short subdued drive in the new car - excellent with the michelin and much better than the test drive i had had with the apollos. Very silent.
On another note, replaced the types on my jetta with Primacy ... thanks to Nikhil one of our members who owns Madhus ...
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:17   #517
BHPian

Hi guys,
Been using the XM2 since the day i bought my i20 Asta diesel 2 years ago. Have driven around 30k on them and still has 50% tread. Excellent tyre, great comfort, and never had a puncture in past two years.
Stock size was 175, i had upgraded to 185 to make them higher profile as the roads in hyderabad are amongst the worst they can be from past few years! I opted for more comfort rather than cornering performance as the comfort is more crucial for city drives.

Planning same for my Polo GT-TSI next week, or the Pirelli P7.
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:15   #518
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi guys,
Been using the XM2 since the day i bought my i20 Asta diesel 2 years ago. Have driven around 30k on them and still has 50% tread. Excellent tyre, great comfort, and never had a puncture in past two years.

Planning same for my Polo GT-TSI next week, or the Pirelli P7.
For Polo TSi I would recommend more performance oriented tires. XM2 is a comfort oriented tyre and it's side flexes a lot which affect handling. Pirelli P7 is an outdated tyre, while Pirelli Cintuato P7 is the latest tyre. I would recommend to go for 195/55 R 15 Hankook Ventus , which is an excellent tyre in terms of dry and wet grip or Michelin Primacy 3 ST

Last edited by anb : 2nd October 2014 at 09:44.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:54   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
I opted for more comfort rather than cornering performance as the comfort is more crucial for city drives.

Planning same for my Polo GT-TSI next week
Since comfort is important I would suggest you to go in for 195 60 R15 spec tyre. Regarding warranty issue, suspension has a 6 months/10,000 Kms warranty only on Polo. My pick would be either
1. Michelin XM2 : Tough side walls and made for India. Having used it on my Indica and currently doing duty on Fiesta as well.
2. Michelin P3ST : Softer rubber compared to XM2 but may have higher chance of sidewall issues due to it.

Do check out prices on online eCommerce website and then bargain with brick mortar shop to get a good deal.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 15:13   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Since comfort is important I would suggest you to go in for 195 60 R15 spec tyre. Regarding warranty issue, suspension has a 6 months/10,000 Kms warranty only on Polo. My pick would be either
1. Michelin XM2 : Tough side walls and made for India. Having used it on my Indica and currently doing duty on Fiesta as well.
2. Michelin P3ST : Softer rubber compared to XM2 but may have higher chance of sidewall issues due to it.

Do check out prices on online eCommerce website and then bargain with brick mortar shop to get a good deal.
I would recommend the P3ST over the XM2. Even for comfort.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 02:10   #521
BHPian

Michelin XM2 on my Estilo: Initial Impression

Hi all,

Once again, it has been quite a while since I joined in on the discussions at T-BHP, and I apologise for the inconsistency. Given how user experiences of tyres on an Estilo are somewhat hard to come by, I thought I should pen down mine to give other Estilo users an easier time deciding on tyres.

Oddly, my used Estilo LXi came wearing Bridgestone S322s in the front, and JK Optimas in the back with 35,000 km on the clock. After two years of use, and having added some 10,000km to the odo, I decided to change them as they started to look quite worn out. It was also becoming increasingly hard finding a tyre shop that mended tube-type tyres in case of punctures.

I had decided that I wanted 155/65 R13, a size of tyres that was offered on the VXi variant of Estilo (and Wagon R). The LXis, including mine, came with 145/70 R13.

Upon visiting the famous Sai Iyengar Tyres in Indiranagar, I gathered that the Michelin Energy XM2 and the Yokohama Earth-1 were the top tyres recommended for the Estilo. Bridgestone S322 and Goodyear GPS2 too were on offer but weren’t tubeless for this size.

Sai Iyengar Tyres quoted Rs 3000 per tyre for the Yokohama Earth-1s, and Rs 3500 per tyre for the Michelin XM2s.

After due research, I found both tyres to be equally good. Earth-1 was touted as a ‘Designed for India’ tyre by Yokohama, and user reviews were generally positive. Michelin XM2 was also a silica-based tyre that reportedly provided low rolling-resistance and good wet grip.

All things considered, I was decided on the Yokohama Earth-1s but sadly, Sai Iyengar Tyres had run out of stock. They, instead, tried to sell me the older Yokohama A-Drives, a model known to be soft and weak on the sidewalls. It was a cheap move by Sai Iyengar, if you ask me. Naturally, I refused. I tried contacting a few other tyre stores, and even waited a week or two for Sai Iyengar to receive stock of the Earth-1s.

When I heard that Yokohama stock was further delayed, I decided to quit waiting and buy the Michelin XM2s. Sai Iyengar did not charge me for wheel balancing and alignment.

I have only done some 200 km with the new Michelin XM2s so far and my initial impression of them are good.

Firstly, the added 10mm in width seems to have made negligible difference to steering tightness. It usually isn’t the case, but Michelin seems to have worked their magic on the rubber. This is already happy news to me.

The Estilo generally crashes into every pothole ungracefully with loud thuds and rattles all over, but with the new Michelins, things have improved a bit on this front. The thuds are now softer and fewer in number, and do less damage to my bones. I am hoping it will stay this way for a good 10,000 km at least.

The Michelins also provide great grip. Braking is now a more surefooted affair and the extra 10mm footprint is somewhat felt all the time while turning and braking. Even some of those unintentional first-gear wheelspins are minimised.

I shall post another review, maybe a few thousand kilometres down the line.

Thanks for reading my initial impression of the tyres and hope it helps a fellow Estilo user/Michelin buyer some day. Feel free to write to me if you’ve got questions.

Happy motoring.

Cheers,
Vignesh
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-20141019-14.27.09.jpg  

vigneshg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:11   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
How is the feedback on the xm2 in 185/60/15 on the polo? Is it worth the change from new stock alnacs?

What is the schedule for the stock size in ps2 as in a launch date? Vw says I will loose the suspension warranty by upsizing the tyres to 195

Thanks
Has anyone swapped their Apollo Alnac for Michelin XM2's? Checking to see if they are happy with the decision, I'm planning to make the same swap on my car this weekend.
Old 6th November 2014, 11:38   #523
BHPian

Have been using the xm2; it's excellent
gautam99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:51   #524
BHPian

Got a set of XM2's in 185/70-14 for my VDi from Speed Tyres, Padivattom, Ernakulam. INR 19200 including fitting charges. Got 1000 for my 27000-km-old OEM Appolos, so the total damage came to 18.2K.

After 400 kms of driving, XM2 looks as good, if not better than 3 sets of XM1+ that I've used in other cars.
Old 9th November 2014, 19:19   #525
BHPian

Need your expertise fellow BHPians. Now I got my new polo and changed the tyres to Michelin XM2. No upsize or change from default specs.

At the time of changing tyres, the Michelin guy told me he will not be doing a wheel alignment, because that will leave some marks which will be detected during service and may cause issues.

The next day, I took the car for a 90 km drive and noticed that the car is pulling to the left i.e. I'm guessing its a wheel alignment issue.

Can I just get wheel alignment done outside? Or is it true that since the car is in warranty, I must do the wheel alignment only through VW service centers?

Most Viewed