Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 14:23   #556
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
csateesh,
I fully agree with you that you may find yourself in the next gear if the response and feel of the vehicle is suitable, but a RPM difference of 25% at the same speed IN THE SAME GEAR, is not possible.
It is for this reason that I requested you to check the numbers. In fact, driving in the next gear would also explain the better than expected fuel savings.
I am not associated/affiliated/employed with any tyre or automobile company either!
Attaching a pic of the same

NOTE :

1. This wasn't taken by me and was shot by the co-passenger
2. This was taken on a flat road with good visibility to ensure safety

Again it was taken only to help with a useful data point.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-rpmxm2_cropped.jpg  

Old 24th January 2015, 13:20   #557
Senior - BHPian

I had recently (less than a month) got a pair of Michelin XM2 from Tyrestore in Bangalore. These were fitted in the rear axle. My front wheel tyres were replaced 3 months back. Yesterday while my dad was driving to Chennai, the right rear tyre just shredded. This was not at a high speed either as my dad is the most sedate of drivers. I was wondering if there is some kind of warranty and how I could claim it.
Also apparently the latest Michelin XM2 tyres available in Chennai are 33/14. Made in Thailand. Is this cause of concern?
Old 31st January 2015, 21:08   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Attaching a pic of the same

NOTE :

1. This wasn't taken by me and was shot by the co-passenger
2. This was taken on a flat road with good visibility to ensure safety

Again it was taken only to help with a useful data point.
csateesh,
Dude, I don't doubt your ability to read the speedo and tacho correctly.
The picture surely verifies that the car does 100Km/h at about 2100/2150RPM.
If you jack up the car, disable the TCS (if applicable) and just spin the drivetrain (even with the wheels dismounted), it will ALWAYS be the same RPM for the same speed.
I am just trying to say that the 25% reduction of RPM you are speaking of is simply because you're driving in a different gear compared to your initial measurements, like 5th instead of 4th. This is likely the real reason you're getting much better fuel efficiency too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I had recently (less than a month) got a pair of Michelin XM2 from Tyrestore in Bangalore. These were fitted in the rear axle. My front wheel tyres were replaced 3 months back. Yesterday while my dad was driving to Chennai, the right rear tyre just shredded. This was not at a high speed either as my dad is the most sedate of drivers. I was wondering if there is some kind of warranty and how I could claim it.
Also apparently the latest Michelin XM2 tyres available in Chennai are 33/14. Made in Thailand. Is this cause of concern?
Shredded tyres are so rarely due to manufacturing defects that I seriously doubt you'd get a warranty claim. Still, the simplest way would be to contact the dealer that sold you the tyre along with a copy of the sale invoice. That said, if there are no external cuts/impact marks or over-worn side edges due to underinflated operation, you may have a chance.

Tyres <6 years of age from a reputed manufacturer are not a cause for concern in any way. The 33/14 means they're manufactured on or between the 11th to 17th of August 2014. As for being manufactured in Thailand, most of Michelin's range for Asia is produced there!
Old 27th March 2015, 15:51   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If you are still keen on blowing up money, just go for the best which is Michelin P3ST in 195/60-15 or Continental MC5.
I want to switch to either the MC5 or P3ST on my new honda city. But i am very confused between the two. I want good comfort but i also want good grip on cornering hard.
Could you please suggest which one to go for ?
Old 29th March 2015, 09:51   #560
BHPian

Earlier I had XM1+. I bought XM2. Again from Madhus in Bangalore. XM2 is definitely an improvement over XM1+. As again I recommend Madhus for getting tyres. In fact first 1000 kms with new tyre is a dream run.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:09   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
I want to switch to either the MC5 or P3ST on my new honda city. But i am very confused between the two. I want good comfort but i also want good grip on cornering hard.
Difficult to pinpoint. Both are good tyres. Difference between them will be minimal.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:04   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Have been using P3STs for over 10,000 km so far. Been very much satisfied overall, but since the summer has set in, I've been seeing the tyres losing traction while braking(not too hard) on dry surfaces in hot weather conditions.

I see P3STs as out and out comfort oriented - excellent ride comfort, low noise levels, and reliable(no punctures or sidewall cuts so far). But going by the recent experiences, I wouldn't recommend them even if all you require is just a bit of sportiness from them.
Old 31st March 2015, 15:04   #563
BHPian

Haven't been on this thread for some time but glad to see that the XM2 tribe is going strong. And for good reason - these are really good tyres. Here's my update from my purchase in Dec 2012 and my last update on here in Jan 2014:

I just completed a Hyderabad Mumbai round trip last week which included a back and forth to Pune from Mumbai. On the way to Mumbai, I was in no mood to do any night driving and I floored the gas pedal all day. The Michellin XM2s were in great shape as I scorched NH9 - completed the trip in about 12 hrs with a few stops along the way. These tyres are sure footed and absolutely gave no reason for concern.

On the Pune Mumbai Expressway I have to admit that at high speeds you had to be careful on turns and curves. There is a bit of roll. On straight(er) stretches the tyres just hug the road. Step on the gas and there is instant feedback. On smooth stretches you can sense a nice hum as the tyres zip on by. We had an unfortunate incident when a car ahead of us hit a stray dog that had ventured on the expressway. Emergency braking and maneuvering was easy and felt like I was doing 80 kmph when in reality I was at about 120 mph.

Earlier in Jan this year I did a Hyderabad Bangalore trip and that was just pure fun. The highway is fast almost all over but there is a stretch from just after Ananthapur to about 150 kms outside Bangalore that is just pure bliss. Driving that stretch in the winter sun was a joy. The car just feels faster with these tyres.

The tyres are a middle solution in terms of being soft enough but also not too much so. Michellin did make them a little harder to compensate for Indian conditions. I've been driving these tyres for 2 & 1/2 years now and I can say that these are more on the soft side with just enough wear tolerance. I did have the punctures initially but that can happen to anyone. Have not had any problems since and even though I have mentioned highway driving mostly these are great for the city as well.

Based on my experience so far: Highly Recommended!
Old 10th April 2015, 16:45   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post

On the Pune Mumbai Expressway I have to admit that at high speeds you had to be careful on turns and curves. There is a bit of roll.
I was considering these as replacement on my Laura TSI. OE tyres are 195/65/R15. A friends Laura TDI has 205/65/R15 and feels a lot more comfortable when in the back seat, so thought of upsizing mine as well.

But based on the above comment, with the 2% increase in dia, am wondering if the roll get excessive? 99% of the time I am babying the car, but don't want to lose the charm during the 1% when you want to take the odd corner a tad sharply.

any opinions? the 3STs are available in the OE size, not in the upsize.

thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 10th April 2015, 20:08   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post

But based on the above comment, with the 2% increase in dia, am wondering if the roll get excessive? 99% of the time I am babying the car, but don't want to lose the charm during the 1% when you want to take the odd corner a tad sharply.

I wouldn't worry about losing "the charm"! Go for it.

My comments are based on driving an Innova at highway speeds. Not exactly the best vehicle for taking on bends.
On a low slung sedan like Laura you could probably power slide your ride all day long.

ps: Not advertising rash driving here. Please drive safely.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 10th April 2015 at 21:51. Reason: Mention of speeding removed.
nikhil.nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:05   #566
BHPian

I had moved from stock JKs to XM1+ in 2010 and the difference was awesome. After 60k it was time to retire the XM1+. Visited a few places and sales persons were eager to push Conti while maintaining that the new XM2 is a very good tire. Finally decided to stick to Michelin and went with XM2. The first 1000kms have been pretty good including a trip to Mahabaleshwar and the performance was good.
First impression is that with the change in groove pattern its attraction of stones has reduced. Comfort and braking continue to be as good if not better than XM1+.

Last edited by nikhil_d1106 : 16th April 2015 at 11:06.
nikhil_d1106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:28   #567
BHPian

Thanks to both Nikhils. I am a Nikhil too, so we should just go ahead and rename this thread.

But yeah, I got the upgrade done. The difference is immediately noticeable, quieter, more comfortable, and seems to roll smoother. how long this lasts is of course suspect. got them at approx 6.2K a piece + some for balancing/alignment.

The roll on turns is also noticeable. Not scared of sliding off, but feedback not as firm as on the lower profile tyres. Will update once more miles are logged.

Thanks again.
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 21:27   #568
Senior - BHPian

My Michelin XM1 has run 37000 kms. Now, some tires are losing air faster and the body roll has increased. The tire has enough thread to last another 10000 kms. I am confused on whether I should replace the tire. What do you recommend? After how many kms did you guys replace XM1?
Old 21st April 2015, 23:04   #569
BHPian

My XM1+ on Swift gave me 54000 kilometers. As per the tyre repair guy, it had another 5k of life in it. But I felt that car is bouncing and the grip on wet roads were not giving me much confidence even though there were sufficient treads (though below 2mm - coin test failed). Apart from that the tyre was almost 40 months old. So changed to XM2 and very happy with it. Used jk, Yoko a-drive, xm1 and now xm2. Would rank in the following order xm2, xm1, Yoko, jk .
0-29000 - jk ( changed to go to Ladakh)
29000-67000 Yoko (hit a stone while going to Ladakh and had to drive 7k with bad alignment so could not squeeze life out of it)
67000-122000 xm1
122000-?? Xm2
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:48   #570
BHPian

XM1+ are running on my WagonR for 70k+ km. Almost worn out and I can feel every bit of the road now. No problem of body roll on these tires.

They could last longer if you stick with them - I thought they would last 5-10k more after 40K but they have continued on... Will be changing them before rains.

Had problem of air loss earlier, but it was because of rims rusting near the valve. Changed 2 rims (stock) and got the inside part of other old rims coated.

I suggest you to change if you are not happy with handling.

Most Viewed