Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:06   #571
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Thanks to both Nikhils. I am a Nikhil too, so we should just go ahead and rename this thread.

But yeah, I got the upgrade done. The difference is immediately noticeable, quieter, more comfortable, and seems to roll smoother. how long this lasts is of course suspect. got them at approx 6.2K a piece + some for balancing/alignment.

The roll on turns is also noticeable. Not scared of sliding off, but feedback not as firm as on the lower profile tyres. Will update once more miles are logged.

Thanks again.
I was in a similar situation where I wanted to upgrade the tyres on my TSI. Landed at Madhu's & was confused between 205/65 XM2 H rated vs 195/65 3ST V rated.
Spoke with a bhpian & friend SantoshBhat who advised to stick with 3ST due to better rubber & higher rating & duly did so.
Difference was immediately noticeable, they are quieter with better grip.
Paid 25,500 for 4 tyres (all inclusive)
Just want to hit the open road now
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 02:02   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Difficult to pinpoint. Both are good tyres. Difference between them will be minimal.
I could really use some help from you here. I was hoping that my new Polo highline came with Apollo Alnacs so that I could just keep the stock tires and not worry about upgrading, but I see the Polo I have been allotted comes with MRF ZVTVs!

Looking for a decent upgrade here - should I stick with the stock size or go for larger ones? Also, what do you recommend between the Earth 1 and Michelin XM2?

The tires should be comfortable to ride within the city, grip well and be silent.
Old 28th April 2015, 14:16   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichida View Post
Looking for a decent upgrade here - should I stick with the stock size or go for larger ones?
As a long term user of upsized tyres on my qualis, I would say try and stay with stock sizes and do not upsize. This is because the upsizing has its toll on your vehicle. For me, I have had to replace the steering column, steering belt pulleyetc. The steering belt pulley is a tiny thing and costs 9k. The steering column cost me 20k+. However this was after 6 years of upsizing for the column and 9 years for the pulley. There are other side effects too. The larger tyres touch the body under chassis during tight turns and cause a noise on a full U turn etc. Unless your vehicle is engineered for an upsize, I recommend you stay with a good tyre on the recommended size. My 2 cents..
Old 12th May 2015, 14:10   #574
BHPian

Can any one help me with a good shop for Michelin XM2 in Chennai. My friend is getting a new Swift VDi this weekend and planning to get the stock replaced with Michelin XM2 185 X 65 / 70 X R14.
Hence the shop should give a better offer for this stock tyre as well.

Cheers!
Old 12th May 2015, 16:49   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
My friend is getting a new Swift VDi this weekend and planning to get the stock replaced with Michelin XM2 185 X 65 / 70 X R14.
I have been using tyrzrus.com - he has a store in padi/villivakkam, close to annanagar. Infact a friend just changed 4 tyres to Bridgestone on sat for his alto. I have purchased goodyears for my qualis there. He has michelins too. Check the site and speak to the owner, Vinoth. They have an offer for IT employees and are competitive and usually only quote you one price, no negotiation needed. Check also Lal Tyres, Lloyds road.
Old 12th May 2015, 22:05   #576
BHPian

I have been driving swift VDI for last three years and XM1 185/65 R14 lasted for 75000 KM. after that i switched to XM2 185/65 R14 and they are slightly or equaly better than XM1. My use is typically on highway run speed ranging in region of 110-120 KMPH. I found this tire very satisfactory and worth premium money over ordinary tire.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:45   #577
BHPian

I had changed to xm2 from Yoko A drives in my earlier Wagon R, and this tyre squeals like a pig! Although very comfortable and surprisingly no puncture during the 20K Kms i had them on. I had a wheelspin (on a Waggie!!) everytime i pressed on the gas harder so the tires dont have great dry grip and they squeal!! however wet grip is much better owing to softer compound. IMO stay away from this, i think there are better options available, not a bad tire but not worth the premium charged.

Last edited by Zubin21 : 16th May 2015 at 16:46. Reason: grammatical error
Old 16th May 2015, 21:49   #578
Senior - BHPian

So if we want to convert our boring rides in to F&F types we should switch to the XM2 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
I had changed to xm2 from Yoko A drives in my earlier Wagon R, and this tyre squeals like a pig! Although very comfortable and surprisingly no puncture during the 20K Kms i had them on. I had a wheelspin (on a Waggie!!) everytime i pressed on the gas harder so the tires dont have great dry grip and they squeal!! however wet grip is much better owing to softer compound. IMO stay away from this, i think there are better options available, not a bad tire but not worth the premium charged.
Old 16th May 2015, 22:01   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
So if we want to convert our boring rides in to F&F types we should switch to the XM2 then
Haha.. yeah for sure, everytime on the signal even while starting off it would give me that feeling of rush as i heard them squeal. However i was not going anywhere corresponding to that noise, funny feeling!
Old 15th June 2015, 13:03   #580
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
The Stock JK Tyres Tornado on my Punto have worn out and I am planning to change to Michelin XM2 185/70 R 14.

Anyone here who has tried these on Punto? I guess they should be a better choice than repeating the Tornado, which I thought were pretty bad when it came to road noise and comfort.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:17   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys,
The Stock JK Tyres Tornado on my Punto have worn out and I am planning to change to Michelin XM2 185/70 R 14.

Anyone here who has tried these on Punto? I guess they should be a better choice than repeating the Tornado, which I thought were pretty bad when it came to road noise and comfort.
I have done that with my Punto at around 38K kms, from stock 165/80 JK to 185/70 XM2, the tyres improve the stance of the car which alone is worth it, the stock is aweful. I maintain 31/29 psi for front/rear in normal running and 32/31 with full load, have a pressure guage and pump to ensure this is done always. The set has about 5K kms tread left according to the folks at Madhu's.

Right now my odo reads 82500, 50K kms on a second set is pretty good. This is with a 5k interval for alignment/balancing/rotation as required.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 16:22   #582

I changed my stock tires on the Verna at 19k. They are still going strong at 82k. However, one tire had three punctures in a row and now I am deliberating whether to continue with it or have a new pair of shoes.

Initial impressions when I changed them at 19k was lower road nice, softer ride. Braking improved immensely, especially during the rains. Confidence inspiring during cornering.

Even Tyre Empire (HSR) is surprised at the life of the tires. I get the balancing/rotation/alignment done every 5k kms. And tire pressure of 32 at all times. I am guessing that helped prolong the life of the tires.

I will be replacing them soon.

Flipkart/Amazon/Changemytire, come and get my business
Old 17th June 2015, 20:00   #583
BHPian

Switched from Michelin XM1+ to XM2 on my 2005 WagonR (155/65R13).

The XM1+ lasted about 75k km. Ride quality was quite decent even towards the end but they had almost worn out.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:32   #584
BHPian

Got stock size XM2s for my i10 after the pathetic replacement tyres that my car lease company had put reached their demise at around 30K itself. Initial experience itself gives much more confidence and stability.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2015 at 21:42.
Old 20th June 2015, 11:40   #585
Senior - BHPian

What is the lifespan of a car tire? My Michelin XM1 has run 40000 kms and has another 10000 kms as per the tire indicator. The tire is 5 years old and a couple of tires, front ones, are losing air faster. Is it the general practice to replace tire at 5 years, irrespective of mileage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks