Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 11:51   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I drive the same car as you do but it is 1 year 11 months old with 61K on the odometer.
I had an intermittent stint with ZLO but had to throw them away due to manufacturing defect. Learnt the hard way and now with Michelin XM2. Been 1000 kms with it and absolutely loving it.
My suggestion is go for the XM2 eyes closed but I'll suggest you to go for 195/60 R15 rather than 195/65 R15. The correct upgrade is 195/60 R15. You can check my thread for details.
Hi Anurag I have been following your both the ownership reviews closely. It's very well written. Its good decision to switch to Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
How do you know the manufacturing month/year if you are buying from SD? As Anurag mentioned there is a always a risk associated with online purchase when it comes to warranty. So, two things to consider:
1) If you can get the manufacturing month/year info from seller
2) If you are willing to take risk with the warranty thing.

Even when I had to replace the tyres for my Liva (couple of months back), it was always tempting for me to go with online purchase as the pricing was attractive. But, finally I had to buy in a hurry and left with no choice other than buying directly from dealer.
Thank you for sharing your experience kavensri. I think there is no way out to find manufacturing date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
As Anurag mentioned go with XM2 without doubt, I have also been using it for around 6 months / 5K kms and they have been doing well.

About going with any online dealers, there would be no warranty provided irrespective of what SD happen to say.
Check links in my post below for clear message from Michelin India.
Thank a lot deepv, I will think over it once again.
Old 20th November 2015, 13:43   #647
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Got a confirmation from the manufacturer (through dealer though) that my side wall punctured tyre does not fall under their warranty terms.
Now, i am planning to get a patch to that tyre (as suggested by the dealer) and use it as a stepney. And it may cost me around 800 bucks for that patch repair.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:41   #648
BHPian

In addition to the sidewall patch, use a tube in the tyre to make it more useful. In an emergency, you don't want to have a spare tyre that is not usable.

Pradeep

Quote:
Got a confirmation from the manufacturer (through dealer though) that my side wall punctured tyre does not fall under their warranty terms.
Now, i am planning to get a patch to that tyre (as suggested by the dealer) and use it as a stepney. And it may cost me around 800 bucks for that patch repair.
pradkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 16:54   #649
Senior - BHPian

Guys
What's the maximum safe distance one can use the XM2s? I'm asking because my Figo is nearing 42000 kms, and the tyres still have decent tread left on them. Is it safe to continue till 45K kms?
Old 20th November 2015, 17:20   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
What's the maximum safe distance one can use the XM2s?...
Venu Sir, if the tread depth look good and no other visible damages to them, then you may continue further.
The dealer had mentioned 40K to 50K for XM2s when I got them, though I suspect mine would go that long.
How old are they age-wise?
Old 20th November 2015, 17:20   #651
BHPian

Could anyone cite difference between Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone ER300 for swift Z. How they are comparable to each other?

Quote:
Guys
What's the maximum safe distance one can use the XM2s? I'm asking because my Figo is nearing 42000 kms, and the tyres still have decent tread left on them. Is it safe to continue till 45K kms?
You could get your tyres inspected at local tyre repair shop or post some pictures of tyres here, experts could provide some sound advice.
Old 20th November 2015, 17:31   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Venu Sir, if the tread depth look good and no other visible damages to them, then you may continue further.
The dealer had mentioned 40K to 50K for XM2s when I got them, though I suspect mine would go that long.
How old are they age-wise?
Got them on the same day as I took delivery of the new car: Oct 2012. They were manufactured in the 12th month of 2012. So around 3 years 8 months old from the date of manufacture.
Old 20th November 2015, 18:19   #653
BANNED

Quote:

Got them on the same day as I took delivery of the new car: Oct 2012. They were manufactured in the 12th month of 2012. So around 3 years 8 months old from the date of manufacture.
Please post pictures of the 4 tyres if you don't mind.

IMO it can be extended if they look good and the are no fine/small cracks in the tyres.
Old 20th November 2015, 21:27   #654
BHPian

Quote:
... around 3 years 8 months old from the date of manufacture.
OK .. that's out of warranty period but is still within tyre life that Michelin considers for XM2s (which is 3 + 3 years).
If there are no other problems with them, you may continue further.
Old 20th November 2015, 22:05   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
I have been using 3.5 years old Swift ZDi, which came with 185/65/R15 MRF ZVTV. Current odometer reading on stock tires is around 72000 kms, so for now car is driven sedately within 100 kph. I've been performing tyre rotation every 5000 kms without fail and maintained recommended air pressure of 32 F- 29 R. Even after this kind of mileage, barring few occasional punctures, cuts & bruises there is no uneven wear or sidewall damage, though local tyre repair guy says me to use it till 80k or until it hit TWI mark but I don't want to try my luck anymore.
I think you should just scrap them as they have run a lot. Even if it hasn't hit the TWI, 72000 kms is more than enough for any tyre. I had 4 year old JK Tornadoes on my K10 which had run just 28000 kms and two of the tyres developed bulges when I hit some potholes. The hit wasn't hard but the tyre guy said its because the rubber had become hard over years. Don't compromise on safety just because there's 3k of mileage left on the tyre.
chinmaybaikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 11:12   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
I think you should just scrap them as they have run a lot. Even if it hasn't hit the TWI, 72000 kms is more than enough for any tyre. I had 4 year old JK Tornadoes on my K10 which had run just 28000 kms and two of the tyres developed bulges when I hit some potholes. The hit wasn't hard but the tyre guy said its because the rubber had become hard over years. Don't compromise on safety just because there's 3k of mileage left on the tyre.
Thanks Chinmay, within next 3-4 days I am getting new sets of 4 tyres of XM2, till then no highway trips. By the way, anyone tried Bridgestone ER300?
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:10   #657
Senior - BHPian

Replaced 4 MRF 145/70 R13 tyres on my Estilo LXI two days back with 155/65 R13 Michelin energy XM2. Deal was for 14400/- with 3 years warranty. Seeing some improved driving smoothness and better breaking immediately. This was done at Type Empire HSR Layout Bangalore. Only thing that I calculated is the road clearance will be reduced by 0.75mm i.e. nothing.

I replaced old tyres after 56,000 kms with most pathetic road conditions in Bangalore. I could have taken them till 60,000 km but found one tyre with side wall with a small crack. Also the tyres were hard and was experiencing massive wobbling at 70kmph on highways.

First impression with XM2 is good. Let's see how they perform.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd November 2015 at 18:15.
Old 24th November 2015, 20:45   #658
BHPian

Got back my 'side wall damaged' tyre back after the patch work. It costed me Rs800 for this patch. As per the dealer, this should be good enough to use it as a stepney. But, I am still thinking whether to keep this or buy a new one.
Attaching couple of pictures of the 'patch' work.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-img_20151124_180429.jpg  

Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-img_20151124_180416.jpg  

kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:11   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Got back my 'side wall damaged' tyre back after the patch work. It costed me Rs800 for this patch...
Oh .. thats some charge for the patch, hope it has got that much worth of work gone in.
You may want to show it out at a couple of other places to gauge the reliability before deciding to continue (or otherwise).
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 21:39   #660
BHPian

i agree that the charge was high, but i was not in a position to go to other places and enquire... i am going in a vacation tomorrow and i was not comfortable to use that old tyre as Stepney... so, i thought that this is the next best option?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks