Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 10:05   #691
BHPian

Re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Hi All, I changed my Fiesta's stock MRF tyres (They were done 69K in 4 years, it could easily go for another 10K but wanted to change as they were 4 years) to Michelin XM2. In 3 years i clocked only 20K with MIchelin and all tyres started peeling off from the sides. Have anyone of you observing this. When I contacted the customer service, they are saying that Michelin gives only 3 years warranty, so they will not do anything .
Old 10th June 2016, 15:17   #692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
In 3 years i clocked only 20K with MIchelin and all tyres started peeling off from the sides. Have anyone of you observing this. When I contacted the customer service, they are saying that Michelin gives only 3 years warranty, so they will not do anything .
Welcome to the club!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-failure.html

I had a discussion with the Michelin dealer and he outrightedly rejected any warranty or any goodwill gesture. After the entire discussion, what the dealer implied was that only those should purchase Michelins whose running is on the higher side and can use the entire tread in a period of max 3-4 years.
For people whose running is on the lower side, should stick to regular brands with hard to medium compound rubbers.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 00:01   #693
BHPian

Thanks Saket for the quick response, but at least should we not take it to the consumer forum. I raised a complaint with Michelin on November and by that time my 3 year was over. And they said that they would give only warranty till 3 year and closed the complaint. Is there any chance that we can take this up with Consumer Forum ..
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 12:11   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Hi All, I changed my Fiesta's stock MRF tyres (They were done 69K in 4 years, it could easily go for another 10K but wanted to change as they were 4 years) to Michelin XM2. In 3 years i clocked only 20K with MIchelin and all tyres started peeling off from the sides. Have anyone of you observing this. When I contacted the customer service, they are saying that Michelin gives only 3 years warranty, so they will not do anything .
Can you please post a few pictures? Will help in understanding what exactly went wrong. It's scary after reading saket's thread.

I too changed my Fiesta's tyres 3 years back and have done only 16k kms on it. But so far they've been holding good.

But if what Saket says is correct, then I'll swap those with the Michellins on my Figo that have covered 48600 kms in 3.5 years. At least those can be put to better use on the Figo. I can plan for new tyres on the Fiesta a bit later.
Old 5th July 2016, 12:44   #695
Senior - BHPian

After 20 years and more than 250k kms of experience, I drove like a complete idiot and lost a new tyre. Today morning I was entering main road from a service road while concentrating bit too much on the traffic on my right. While doing so, I completely ignored the left side and brushed the rear tyre against the divider resulting in side wall tear. This silly mistake will now cost me Rs. 4800.

This is my third tyre damage in span of 5000 kms (other two being unlucky incidents). I guess I should have matched my stars with Michelin XM2 before buying them.
Old 10th July 2016, 14:43   #696
BHPian

My Figo TDCi has just crossed the 25000km mark (in just over 8 months) recently on Michelin Energy XM2 185 /65 /R14s (I got the stock tyres replaced with Michelins right after delivery). I think they have held up quite good so far! A picture at 25K:
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-img_20160710_114942.jpg  

Old 17th July 2016, 01:55   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I had a discussion with the Michelin dealer and he outrightedly rejected any warranty or any goodwill gesture. After the entire discussion, what the dealer implied was that only those should purchase Michelins whose running is on the higher side and can use the entire tread in a period of max 3-4 years.
For people whose running is on the lower side, should stick to regular brands with hard to medium compound rubbers.
I would have thought the opposite to be true.
Being a softer compound the Michelins would be more suited for people having lower running around.

Thanks to massive road work where I live and work, my XM2 are almost done. Will be looking to replace them but was wondering if Michellin had plans for a little more wear resistant option.
nikhil.nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 22:35   #698
Senior - BHPian

Replaced my original 145/70 R13 MRF with michelin xm2 155/65 R13 at 56k on estilo. For first few thousand kms it was nice and fine but recently I hear some strange noise while at lower speed, a kind of vibration noise with thuds on every rough patch on road. It could be suspension issue or tyre hardening. Does anybody know if michelins become hard over time of few months? I replaced mrfs with michelins after a lot of reviews reading and recommendations from multiple sources. Any ideas on this will be very helpful. I personally do not think of tyre hardening in just 6 odd months. Car is reaching 62k now so hardly 6k kilometers in 7 months.

Regards

Last edited by rajivtelang : 24th August 2016 at 22:37.
Old 24th August 2016, 22:55   #699
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I personally do not think of tyre hardening in just 6 odd months. Car is reaching 62k now so hardly 6k kilometers in 7 months.
What i'll suggest is get the suspension bushes changed, caliper pin greased or changed if necessary and alignment/balancing done before suspecting the tyres along with proper tyre pressures maintained.

I own a Swift and the Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15) on my car have clocked 30,000 kms since its addition. Ride & handling is still supple and superb, tyre noise is minimum over MRF ZVTV and MRF Z.L.O.

Tyres hardening within 7 months is difficult.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 04:29   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Replaced my original 145/70 R13 MRF with michelin xm2 155/65 R13 at 56k on estilo. For first few thousand kms it was nice and fine but recently I hear some strange noise while at lower speed, a kind of vibration noise with thuds on every rough patch on road. It could be suspension issue or tyre hardening. Does anybody know if michelins become hard over time of few months? I replaced mrfs with michelins after a lot of reviews reading and recommendations from multiple sources. Any ideas on this will be very helpful. I personally do not think of tyre hardening in just 6 odd months. Car is reaching 62k now so hardly 6k kilometers in 7 months.

Regards
The dynamics of a moving vehicle and complexities of modern suspensions can make it difficult to zero in on the location of such a problem.

If you hear a clunk/thud when the suspension works over bumps, the reason could be excessive clearance in a joint due to wear. It could also be a loose strut nut, or dry/shrunk rubber bushing that needs to be replaced. You may also need to examine your upper strut or shock mounts and the control arm joints.

The tires are quite unlikely to be the source of this concern as they’re new & I wouldn't bother even if they were 3 or 4 year old.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:07   #701
BHPian

Just replaced my existing Bridgestone MY02 (185/70/R14) on my swift with same profile XM2 yesterday for my Swift VDI. I had clocked 46k in about 46 months of usage. Went for Michelin XM2s this time after reading the reviews here on this thread. Hoping for many safe miles to come on the new shoes :-)

Purchased the michelin xm2s from SLNP Pitstop in Kalyan Nagar. It costed me 4600/tire including balancing and allignment. The whole job took about an hour or so and happy with the place of purchase.

Last edited by Haque : 31st August 2016 at 14:09. Reason: missed text
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 09:09   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
The dynamics of a moving vehicle and complexities of modern suspensions can make it difficult to zero in on the location of such a problem.

If you hear a clunk/thud when the suspension works over bumps, the reason could be excessive clearance in a joint due to wear. It could also be a loose strut nut, or dry/shrunk rubber bushing that needs to be replaced. You may also need to examine your upper strut or shock mounts and the control arm joints.

The tires are quite unlikely to be the source of this concern as they’re new & I wouldn't bother even if they were 3 or 4 year old.
Finally got somethings fixed. In current service at MASS they replaced the caliper pin and sound is pretty much gone. But he suspects there is some issue in steering assembly and struts. Now the amount he quoted for steering is 4k and not sure about the shock absorbers. He did not do any replacements other than caliper pin. I was told to wait until next service. Considering all this I am thinking to exchange this car by year end or so. But still feel it is bit too early for this type of issues at 62k. I did not do such service for my older santro until 90k. Are Maruti cars relatively "soft"?
Regards
Old 8th October 2016, 22:10   #703
Senior - BHPian

Tread depth after completing 36k Kms on XM2 for my Innova. Tyre wear is almost uniform. Have been following 5-tyre rotation at every 5k kms.
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-xm2_36k.jpg

I don't think these would last more than 50k kms for me, tyre shoulder is already showing cracks & cuts/nicks. Have had couple of punctures so far in 2 tyres.
Michelin XM2 Tyres in India-innova01.jpeg
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:04   #704
Senior - BHPian

In my 2012 Skoda Rapid-Ambition, the stock tyres are Apollo Aceleres 175/70/14. I have run it for about 42000 kms now. There is still some thread left, which should last maybe some 7-8k kms more.
While I went for a long drive from Bangalore to Goa, at speeds exceeding 120km, I felt the entire car vibrating uncomfortably. When I reached Goa, after two days I found the rear left tyre had deflated.

Replaced it with the stepney and showed the deflated tyre to a tyre mechanic. The punctured tyre had a bulge on the surface and some steel wires were protruding out of the tyre. The tyre was unusable and this bulge as causing the uneasy vibration at high speeds. Since I have been facing issues with punctures in the past few months, I plan to replace all 4 tyres and keep the best one as a stepney.

Am considering between Michelin XM2 185/70/14 and Yokohama Earth-1 185/70/14 . My requirements are less noise, comfort, stability and grip. My running will be mostly in the city with maybe 10-15% on highways. Kindly advise.

Last edited by hrman : 12th October 2016 at 17:09.
Old 12th October 2016, 17:10   #705
Team-BHP Support

I replaced my Apollo Acellere 175-65-14 with XM2 185-65-14.
Drove from Hyderabad to Chennai last week and am very happy with my choice.
They are much better than the old ones.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks