Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 00:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?

I noticed a slight bend on the steel rim of one of Corsa's tyres (front, right). I have no clue what resulted in it as I haven't driven on a very rough or edgy road in quite some time.

Anyway, I showed it to my A.S.S. who said he'll try to remove the bend but I couldn't see much difference.

What could be the ill-consequences of keeping such a rim in use? For now, I have put the spare tyre in service.
Attached Thumbnails
What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-wp_000120.jpg  

What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?-wp_000126.jpg  

Old 10th March 2012, 00:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are the consequences of a slightly deformed steel rim?

hammering/a rim straightening machine should take care of it to some extent, better yet if balanced
this would add some wobble at some speed, and would not be suitable for tubeless tyres (they'd lose air faster due to the bad seal)
anything else ?
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 00:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

As greenhorn mentioned the two biggest issues would be the balancing of the tyre and the possibility of the tyre losing air.

In addition, it might well affect the tyre as the inside circumference of the tyre is not receiving even pressure at all points and eventually you might see a spot weakening of the tyre which can lead to deformities or even worse a blow out. Get the rim properly fixed at the earliest.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 01:03   #4
BHPian

That looks like a dent not to ignore. Are you sure the car wasn't driven in your absence? Looks like it hit a pothole pretty bad, or grazed a curb with some gusto.

Few things to consider with dinged rims (considering a ding usually happens from a fairly considerable impact)

(1) The site of the dent forms a vulnerable air-seal point on the circumference as greenhorn rightly says. Fast driving a definite no no.
(2) The wheel balance goes out of whack...not noticable on ambling speeds but you'll probably notice a shimmy at faster speeds. The allignment may have gone off line too.
(3) Assuming that the dent came from a good sized impact, the shock may have been large enough to damage (or begin damage on) the subframe and suspension elements. Be prudent to get that checked out.

From your photos is doesn't look like the rim has cracked, meaning things aren't out of hands yet. See if you can get the rim professionally straightened (in which they heat and re-form the rim). If not, I'd say get a replacement used wheel for your make/model/year...shouldn't cost much.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 01:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The tyre would lose air ONLY if the bend is severe enough to make sure that the bead of the tyre is not sitting properly with the rim. If you havent observed any gradual drop in air pressure, then no need to worry about this.

Balancing will be affected. Maybe not at slower speeds but at higher speeds. A wheel balancer may show the reading as "OK" but you might still have wobbling at higher speeds.

Apart from this, nothing else to worry about.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 09:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your replies.

There are so many terrible roads in B'lore, I'm not sure which one lead to this!

An immediate concern is, would the tyre/tube be affected?

About loss of air, I haven't noticed a significant drop in air pressure yet.

And about straightening out the rim, is it advisable? Or would it lead to further weakening of the structural strength?
Old 10th March 2012, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

And about straightening out the rim, is it advisable? Or would it lead to further weakening of the structural strength?
If it is hammered to straighten, then yes, but only the hammered part of the rim would weaken and not the entire rim. And that the same area would be more vulnerable to a bend again.

Heating and straightening is the best way forward.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thanks for your replies.

There are so many terrible roads in B'lore, I'm not sure which one lead to this!

About loss of air, I haven't noticed a significant drop in air pressure yet.

As yes, our wonderful surface of the moon roads. Not fun to drive on to be honest.

Anyway, if there is no drop in air pressure, it means the point where the tyre and tube are sealed is intact. However, you will need to get the rim straightened out professionally. If not, like I mentioned it will affect the tube, though more in the long run rather than immediately.

If the rim is straightened professionally there will be no structural weakening. Otherwise, it will be an issue.
Old 10th March 2012, 20:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

there are rim straightener in professional wheel shop. They will charge about Rs.150-200 for the job.

I suggest you do this ASAP as this will lead to uneven tire wear.
Old 10th March 2012, 21:19   #10
BANNED

A bent rim - stress on the suspension and bearings.

Additionally, a bent rim on the front wheel - stress on the steering system.

How come you have noticed difference while driving? At least, put in the spare wheel.
Old 11th March 2012, 01:19   #11
BHPian

Hi everybody
I have the same problem.Drove over a large stone.
The mechanic hammered it to the best but still it is not perfect.
It doesnt wobble nor have I noticed any drop in air pressure vis-a-vis with other tyres.
Am thinking of changing the rim with the stepney rimas suggested by backseatdriver.Just to be on the safe side.
Regards
Old 11th March 2012, 09:00   #12
BHPian

That's a good move, if you are going to take time to get it fixed, swap it with stepni and use that rim. At least you would not need to worry about any issues. Also on tubeless tires, you hardly get a flat, that's what i have scene in my car in the last 4 years of ownership so stepni would not be used much.
Old 11th March 2012, 13:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Nishaad,

Nothing serious about it. Corsa's suspension is sturdy enough to handle such impacts, so, no worries on that front too.

Buutttt.. Get it sorted out ASAP. Cos, if you keep running it will cause uneven tyre wear, and unnecessary stress on suspension. Tyre shops would do a better job in straightening the rims than A.S.S IMO. And, yes, make sure you balance the rims, as balancing would have gone for a toss for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Fill in slightly more air and see if there is a bulge. If not, no immediate concern.

Quote:
Looking at the dent, I think its not a big issue. I've had bigger ones. However, one issue you might face is some difficulty in balancing. If done correctly, then no concerns there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How come you have noticed difference while driving?
I think it would be noticeable while driving only on higher speeds and not city speeds. Hence Nishad missed it.

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th March 2012 at 13:29.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 20:21   #14
BHPian

Hi everbody
Thank you all for your replies.
Page 126 of the beat manual states that the spare wheel is to be used for emergency only and to restrict the usage.Also to drive at lower than 80 KMPH
Am I misunderstanding since AFAIK that the stepney is exactly similar to the other tyres?
Please somebody guide me.Incidentally how much does a rim cost at the service center,the regularly fitted one?
Thanks once again.
Regards
Old 12th March 2012, 01:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
AHow come you have noticed difference while driving? At least, put in the spare wheel.
I didn't notice any diff. while driving; I noticed the bend during a visual check up. Yep, put the spare wheel in place after I noticed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Nishaad,

Nothing serious about it. Corsa's suspension is sturdy enough to handle such impacts, so, no worries on that front too.

Buutttt.. Get it sorted out ASAP. Cos, if you keep running it will cause uneven tyre wear, and unnecessary stress on suspension. Tyre shops would do a better job in straightening the rims than A.S.S IMO. And, yes, make sure you balance the rims, as balancing would have gone for a toss for sure.

Fill in slightly more air and see if there is a bulge. If not, no immediate concern.

Looking at the dent, I think its not a big issue. I've had bigger ones. However, one issue you might face is some difficulty in balancing. If done correctly, then no concerns there too.
Thanks; I'll look into having it corrected and using it as spare anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everbody
Thank you all for your replies.
Page 126 of the beat manual states that the spare wheel is to be used for emergency only and to restrict the usage.Also to drive at lower than 80 KMPH
Am I misunderstanding since AFAIK that the stepney is exactly similar to the other tyres?
In quite a few cars, the spare wheel is different (smaller) than the 4 in use; glaring cost-cutting by manufacturers. It is in such cases that the spare wheel is to be used strictly as an emergency measure.

In all other cases (where all 5 wheels/rims are same size), you can safely use all of the 5 wheels on a regular basis.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks