Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 16:33   #136
BHPian
 
turbodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MH-05/MH-14
Posts: 151
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

I wish bhpian fighterace best of luck for his new JK tyres.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4254999

I liked the term he used for them, "footwear" . In reality, footwear lasts much longer . I just didn't understand one thing, why did he choose 155 section tyre for a spare. Can anyone put more light on it?
turbodude is offline  
Old 17th September 2017, 13:25   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 255
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
We had to replace 2 JK tyres of our Nano Twist XT today because of tyre wear out and change in shape. During a routine checkup I found out that rear right tyre has gone kaput. All tyres are just 2 years old.
Attachment 1655184

We could not have detected this normally because sidewall was absolutely normal.
Attachment 1655183

So we went to nearest tyre shop and while inspecting the remaining tyres, one of the front JK tyres also found to be out of shape .

We chose CEAT tyres again. Got rear one for 2250/- (155/65) and front one for 1850/- (135/70) including fitting charges. Could not opt for warranty because have lost the original receipts of JK tyres .

...

The feel of CEAT tyres over JK is truly incredible. We also did wheel balancing so Nano was going terribly smooth after tyre change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I wish bhpian fighterace best of luck for his new JK tyres.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4254999

I liked the term he used for them, "footwear" . In reality, footwear lasts much longer . I just didn't understand one thing, why did he choose 155 section tyre for a spare. Can anyone put more light on it?
Congratulations on your purchase of Ceat tyres for your Nano. I have used their Milaze in my Zen for about 27000 kilometres, and apart from a crack that appeared in the tread groove along the circumference in one of the tyres, it was a smooth ride till the car was exchanged for the Nano till about a year back. Is it the same pattern you have opted for in your car?

I usually go by the recommendation of my tyre dealer, who had suggested the Milaze for the Zen based on my usage pattern. Six months ago, when I went to him for my friend's car, he suggested JK Ultima. When I asked him about their reputation, he said that there have been major changes in the same and now the quality is excellent, which is true on paper. Also, when inflated, it's tread appears flatter than that of the Milaze, one of the biggest advantages of radial tyres. He suggested JK's for my Nano as well when I went for an upsize.

The condition of your tyre is horrifying. Was it the factory fitted tyre or a replacement? It is very strange that the car ran on such a tyre without any symptoms. Considering that they are the same pattern that I am using, I will keep a close watch on the tyres, although the tyres that came off (JK Ultimas only) are ship shape except for the regular wear from 14,000 kms of use.
fighterace is offline  
Old 19th September 2017, 16:08   #138
BHPian
 
turbodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: MH-05/MH-14
Posts: 151
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
I usually go by the recommendation of my tyre dealer, who had suggested the Milaze for the Zen based on my usage pattern. Six months ago, when I went to him for my friend's car, he suggested JK Ultima. When I asked him about their reputation, he said that there have been major changes in the same and now the quality is excellent, which is true on paper. Also, when inflated, it's tread appears flatter than that of the Milaze, one of the biggest advantages of radial tyres. He suggested JK's for my Nano as well when I went for an upsize.

The condition of your tyre is horrifying. Was it the factory fitted tyre or a replacement? It is very strange that the car ran on such a tyre without any symptoms.
Dear fighterace, after looking at the JK tyre thread I was thinking that it won't happen to me but then it happened. Our nano is a pre-owned nano bought from Concorde Motors, 1st owner also purchased from them. He sold it and bought a GenX XTA model. Tyres came factory fitted. When I received the car it was 4 JK + 1 Bridgestone as spare tyre means 1 JK was already gone.

About your tyre dealer, it's his business to sell JK tyres and he can do anything to sell the stock.

JK tyres are quite harder than most of the brands and ride quality was third class. After I changed to CEAT, ride quality and mileage (or you can say MILAZE ) has been improved.

Not all owners of JK tyres faced this, there are some happy users too. I wish you also become one of them. But do keep a vigil on tyre condition. I found the problem only when I did a thorough inspection as part of routine checks, thanks to the guidelines available on forum.
turbodude is offline  
Old 24th August 2018, 12:23   #139
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Hi, reviving an old thread and adding to the terrible quality of jk vectras

I have a Cruze, 26k on the odo and I had been noticing a shake on the steering at almost all speeds, initially I thought it was a balancing issue but after going to a tyre shop, the guy there noticed something with the rear left tyre. Basically, the top thread had come off and you could see the ply.

Shocked at the quality and wondering what could have happened since I have been facing this issue since a month or two and ignored it while still driving rather fast in the Cruze.

JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!-jk-tyre.jpg
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 16:19   #140
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 290
Thanked: 495 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Hi, reviving an old thread and adding to the terrible quality of jk vectras

I have a Cruze, 26k on the odo and I had been noticing a shake on the steering at almost all speeds, initially I thought it was a balancing issue but after going to a tyre shop, the guy there noticed something with the rear left tyre. Basically, the top thread had come off and you could see the ply.

Shocked at the quality and wondering what could have happened since I have been facing this issue since a month or two and ignored it while still driving rather fast in the Cruze.

Attachment 1793175
How old are the tyres? Please visit any JK tyre dealer and they will be happy to replace them. As per my Information, JK tyres come with unconditional 5 years warranty. My Ritz VDI running on JK-Tornado developed a crack on the sidewall. The dealer replaced them and charged me a meager 500 Rupees. To me, i prefer JK over Bridgestone anyday. The tyre life is more or less same with a variation of maximum 5000 kilometers. I had replaced the tornadoes at 50000 with lot of thread left in them and i replaced the Bridgestones on my Mobilio at 53000 kilometers with approximately similar amount of thread left in them. Please note that i am not a very fast driver nor do i drive rash. The proof is that the brakes in my Mobilio are good to last another 40000 kilometers. This was confirmed by the service center guys themselves. But the price variation per tyre is around 1000. Me and my brother-in-law have Mobilio I-Vtec and I-Dtec. Recently we did a Pune-Goa-Pune in his I-Vtec running on Bridgestones. The road noise was around 50% more than what i have in my Mobilio i-Dtec running on JK-UX1-Royale. Secondly, the road grip and comfort is much more in my car running on JK.
su1978 is offline  
Old 24th August 2018, 16:31   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mysore-Bangalor
Posts: 137
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Had these on my Punto for 35k kms before replacing with MRF ZLO's. Would rate them as below average overall. Nothing positive with them. They were Vectras i guess. Definitely not for a car like punto.
Adi22 is offline  
Old 24th August 2018, 17:24   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai / Kochi
Posts: 5,361
Thanked: 2,192 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp
I have a Cruze, 26k on the odo and I had been noticing a shake on the steering at almost all speeds, initially I thought it was a balancing issue but after going to a tyre shop, the guy there noticed something with the rear left tyre. Basically, the top thread had come off and you could see the ply.
I assume these tyres came as stock on your 2015 Cruze. If yes, that makes the tyres around 3 year old - which is around the time problems start developing in the JK tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978
Please visit any JK tyre dealer and they will be happy to replace them. As per my Information, JK tyres come with unconditional 5 years warranty.
If any official note from JK about this "unconditional 5years warranty" is available, please post it here. It will help many here who are facing issues with JK tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978
i prefer JK over Bridgestone anyday. The tyre life is more or less same with a variation of maximum 5000 kilometers.
While personal preference can vary, from my experience, JKs cant hold a candle to Bridgestones in terms of quality or tyre-life. While all the 5 JKtyres in our Swift and 4 tyres on our A-Star_AT had to be changed within 30k odd kms, the stock Bridgestones on my Baleno were replaced only at 80K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978
Please note that i am not a very fast driver nor do i drive rash. The proof is that the brakes in my Mobilio are good to last another 40000 kilometers. This was confirmed by the service center guys themselves.
I am actually a very fast driver (on highways) and drive my Baleno as fast as road and traffic conditions allow. Inspite of this, not only did the tyres last 80K kms, but my front brake disc pads are still stock at 98000kms. In contrast, the Swift & AStar running JKtyres were used by my Dad & FIL / wife, all of whom are sedate drivers.

So it isnt the driving or anything. Its just that the JK tyres are crappy quality that just disintegrate in a few years. Not just my experience, but attested by many others on this thread too.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th August 2018 at 17:26.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 24th August 2018, 17:49   #143
BHPian
 
Turrrb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chennai
Posts: 371
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Recently we did a Pune-Goa-Pune in his I-Vtec running on Bridgestones. The road noise was around 50% more than what i have in my Mobilio i-Dtec running on JK-UX1-Royale. Secondly, the road grip and comfort is much more in my car running on JK.
IMHO The road noise might be attributed to it being drowned out by the clatter of the i-Dtec engine, since the i-Vtec has silky refinement levels the tyre/wind noise would be more audible inside the cabin.
Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!!
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:48   #144
BHPian
 
lipaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

My Swift VXi came with 165 80 R14 JK Vectra. I changed them last week after 55K KMs and 10 years. Alteast 70% of this mileage was on the highway and rest around town. I know I should not be using any tyre for the years I have.




JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!-jk.jpg



Yes, it did scream on my office concrete basement parking on tight turns. Over the years, it got hard and the noise from the tyres increased. I have had two puntures during this period and both of them happened on a visit to a construction site.

My tyre care is the usual routine - Tyre pressure check (34 psi) mostly every month, Wheel alignment every 10K KMs and Tyre rotation every 5K.

To sum up, my experience with these tyres has been good and totally acceptable.
lipaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:10   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai / Kochi
Posts: 5,361
Thanked: 2,192 Times
Default Re: JK tyres, simply crappy manufacturing quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
After a few months of calm, the rear-left tyre of the AStar_AT also showed the same bulge symptoms. Since the spare already had the issue + some cuts in the tyre, changed both tyres to Bridgestone Ecopia last week.

Now 4 of 5 OE crappy JKs gone. Only the stepney remains - no symptoms seen yet, but only a matter of time before it also bends out of shape.
While driving to Cochin last Sunday night, we could hear/feel a kind of bumpy ride at regular intervals from the left side. Having changed the 4 running tyres to Bridgestones, I didn't attribute this to the crappy OE JK Vectras. I had forgotten that the stepney was still a JK and didn't know that on the front-left tyre getting punctured, BIL had put the JK there, causing this noise & bumpy ride.

The tyre has got the characteristic JK bulge at the rolling edge, which causes the bumpy ride.
Name:  AStar_AT_Tyre1.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  165.6 KB

If you zoom in, you can see the metal wires that have come out.
Name:  AStar_AT_Tyre2.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  117.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Between our Swift and the AStar_AT, 9 of 10 JK Vectra tyres had the same bulge, twisted-out-of-shape issue. Definitely not a one-off quality issue, but a product that intentionally has bad-quality built into it.
With this tyre also going the JK way that is now 10 of 10 tyres on 2 cars.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks