Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:27   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
paragsachania,
The wheel well should accommodate what a Swift or dZire can, since they have the same tyres.
I am running 205/55R16 tyres on a dZire with 7" wide wheels with no problems whatsoever!
As a matter of fact, any 7" wide rim with a min diameter of 16" can be used on the Swift/dZire with an offset between 37-44. The same should apply to the Ertiga.
The relatively softer suspension and longer wheel base of the Ertiga. 6-7 occupants! This would be my worst fear with wider RIMs for Ertiga.
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Ertiga : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am too skeptical on aftermarket alloys that start at 6.5J even in 15 Inch, 5 Hole, 114.5 PCD which are likely to cause the wheel arches scrape with the tires upon full load and undulated road surfaces. Thanks to its not so generous wheel well.
More than the width, its the offset which causes the tyre to touch the wheel well of the car.

Most aftermarket alloys have negative offset, that means the wheel will jut out a bit more compared to the OEM alloys. Positive offset on the other hand will decrease the track width and push the tyre inwards.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
More than the width, its the offset which causes the tyre to touch the wheel well of the car.

Most aftermarket alloys have negative offset, that means the wheel will jut out a bit more compared to the OEM alloys. Positive offset on the other hand will decrease the track width and push the tyre inwards.
Yes. I have dissussed this in my WagonR review as well. The offsets. The same reason why I am using 1 inch spacers at rear in the WagonR.

It marginally widens your track and as well increases your turning radius a bit too.

Those cars which have been "accommodative" are mainly due to bulged wheel arches that make way for additional space.

In case of Ertiga its way too less!
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The relatively softer suspension and longer wheel base of the Ertiga. 6-7 occupants! This would be my worst fear with wider RIMs for Ertiga.
paragsachania,
You've got this the wrong way round friend. A softer suspension and a longer wheel base is better for low profile tyres and wider rims in case of an impact as the suspension affords more vertical travel and demands less pliancy from the tyre and also affords more time from one impact to the next for the system as a whole and hence makes for a more independent setup.

Think about it this way, monster trucks have super soft suspensions in terms of how much suspension travel they permit, but relatively short wheelbase in relation to the diameter of the tyres, for this reason they can easily flip backwards and forwards under heavy acceleration, but could easily handle a 2 foot drop like it was nothing.

Conversely, a limo has an extraordinarily long wheel base with relatively micro sized tyres (in terms of tyre dia to wheelbase as a ratio) hence not permitting suspension travel to keep the extra long mid section from hitting the tarmac, still, sitting at the back you hardly feel the front going over a bump due to the miniscule deflection angle to the rear wheels.

So an Ertiga is like the best of both worlds from a suspension perspective if you say it is softer and has a longer wheel base (& possibly even a wider track) compared to the Swift/dZire.

Quote:
Yes. I have dissussed this in my WagonR review as well. The offsets. The same reason why I am using 1 inch spacers at rear in the WagonR.

It marginally widens your track and as well increases your turning radius a bit too.

Those cars which have been "accommodative" are mainly due to bulged wheel arches that make way for additional space.

In case of Ertiga its way too less!
I don't see how it would help to put spacers and move out a slim tyre than simply getting a wider wheel and tyre (with an increased offset to get close to the suspension and not stick out)?
I'm thinking all the engineers at the likes of Ferrari, Koenigsegg, BMW (Think M3), Lamborghini, Nissan (Think GT-R), Mitsubishi (Think Lancer EVO), & Subaru (Think WRX STI) keeping their suspension bias (outward extrusion from the centreline of the strut) at minimum cannot be all crazy. They've worked hard and proven that increased suspension bias only leads to lesser system rigidity and even more importantly a literal waste of space. Did I miss some important physics lessons or something?

I'd have to differ on bulged wheel arches as well. I've got 255/40ZR17 tyres on the front of a Mercedes C Class (W203) without the wheel/tyre sticking out of the car! I wouldn't call it a bulging or inflated looking car in any way despite digesting a fairly wide tyre up front.

In terms of being 'accommodative', a larger wheel well is certainly (& obviously) required for greater clearance!

I personally do not find the Ertiga to be to tight. Why would you want a tyre wider than a 205 or 215 on a tall-boy anyway? Super wide tyres on tall cars are the number one cause for vehicles to flip sideways.
Besides, it takes a 7" wide rim, no problems.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:59   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
paragsachania,
You've got this the wrong way round friend. A softer suspension and a longer wheel base is better for low profile tyres and wider rims in case of an impact as the suspension affords more vertical travel and demands less pliancy from the tyre and also affords more time from one impact to the next for the system as a whole and hence makes for a more independent setup.
Now where did I say that Wider Rims or Low Profile tires are not good? The discussion is more on the acceptable width of the rim for the Ertiga and secondly, all this while we have only been discussing retaining the stock diameter and playing around with different profile tires.

By referring to softer suspension, I was only making it clear that the vertical movement of the car's Body over the wheel is likely to cause the arches rub against the tires in case of the after market rims (stock Diameter of 15" itself) which have a negative offset leading to tires protruding out of the wheel arches.

Safety, Ride, Suspension comes second but what is the point if wider rims and tires over them lead to rubbing of wheel arches. The whole purpose goes for a toss then! That is where I am coming from.

Quote:
So an Ertiga is like the best of both worlds from a suspension perspective if you say it is softer and has a longer wheel base (& possibly even a wider track) compared to the Swift/dZire.
Not sure on whether Ertiga fares better when it comes to suspension set-up vis-a-vis Swift/Dzire but again it all boils downs to the design of wheel arches and their ability to rub with the tires!

Quote:
I don't see how it would help to put spacers and move out a slim tyre than simply getting a wider wheel and tyre (with an increased offset to get close to the suspension and not stick out)?
May be I should have been more clear when I said spacers. Its the vertical spacer rings that is placed atop rear suspension coil springs that would raise the height and increase the gap between the tire and the arches. Check out ALL the Altos and WagonRs with Alloys and you will most likely find each of them with spacers installed (vertical again) on the rear simply because their design is not friendly when it comes to upgrade to alloys (and tires).

Not to forget the fact that only AURA was the brand that fit perfectly well in Altos and WagonRs as they complied with stock width (4J) and once they stopped supplying alloys, all the aftermarket alloys had to go with spacers only.

Quote:
I'd have to differ on bulged wheel arches as well. I've got 255/40ZR17 tyres on the front of a Mercedes C Class (W203) without the wheel/tyre sticking out of the car! I wouldn't call it a bulging or inflated looking car in any way despite digesting a fairly wide tyre up front.
A 205/60/15 on 5.5J Rim and 6.5-7J Rim - Compare how this tire fits on both of these and see how the sidewalls create a balloon effect rendering the overall contact area less effective (in case of 5.5J in comparison to 6.5-7J). I was always referring to bulged Sidewalls and not bulged wheel arches. Hope I am more clear now .

Quote:
I personally do not find the Ertiga to be to tight. Why would you want a tyre wider than a 205 or 215 on a tall-boy anyway? Super wide tyres on tall cars are the number one cause for vehicles to flip sideways.
Besides, it takes a 7" wide rim, no problems.
We are talking the same language now, I am glad! Never even discussed anything beyond 205 as that is what even my Ertiga is running on. 215? Where did this come from anyways? If 7" RIM is precise fit, I am happy to know but like I have mentioned, I was skeptical about this knowing how the suspension is (soft) and how undulations on roads at speeds around 100kmph with full load may lead to the tires rubbing the wheel arches on these wider Rims (again, a case only if the tires are popping out of the car's body/arch in case of negative offset of certain alloys).

Bottomline - If going for aftermarket alloys, it is better to take a Test drive under full load and ascertain if they fit well into the wheel well when bottoming rather than repent later.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd January 2015 at 20:11.
Old 31st March 2015, 16:42   #81
BHPian

I have a ZDi with the stock alloys (from the initial batch of cars), and have done 45000+ kms on the stock MRF's that still look like they have a lot of tread left on them.

I plan to change the tyres pre-mumbai-monsoon, and would appreciate advice:

1. Upsize? Why or why not?
2. Which brand and model?

Budget: N/A no issues on this front.
Need: Comfort+Comfort, as bumps translate very harshly in to the cabin now.
Old 31st March 2015, 16:49   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
1. Upsize? Why or why not?
Why not? You can and it will certainly improve the handling and ride.
Quote:
2. Which brand and model?
My Ertiga is on Michelin XM2 205/60/R15 since the last 30K kms. After trying air pressures varying from 30 to 36, I have settled for 34/35 that gives me the best ride quality and grip levels and FE on my highway runs. There has been no alarming decrease in my overall efficiency whatsoever!
Quote:
Budget: N/A no issues on this front.
Need: Comfort+Comfort, as bumps translate very harshly in to the cabin now.
XM2s cost me 7500 Per tire that translated to 30K for set of 4. Others were available starting from as less as 5500 per tire too but my experience with XM2 in the WagonR has been far above Satisfactory (As compared to XM1+ which was known for softer sidewall) and I didn't even think beyond a few seconds before I bought these.
Old 31st March 2015, 17:10   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Why not? You can and it will certainly improve the handling and ride.
My Ertiga is on Michelin XM2 205/60/R15 since the last 30K kms. After trying air pressures varying from 30 to 36, I have settled for 34/35 that gives me the best ride quality and grip levels and FE on my highway runs. There has been no alarming decrease in my overall efficiency whatsoever!
XM2s cost me 7500 Per tire that translated to 30K for set of 4. Others were available starting from as less as 5500 per tire too but my experience with XM2 in the WagonR has been far above Satisfactory (As compared to XM1+ which was known for softer sidewall) and I didn't even think beyond a few seconds before I bought these.
Thanks, and your views on the 195/65/R15 Primacy 3 ST as well as the 205/60/R15 Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 or Potenza G3 in terms of comfort?
Old 18th June 2015, 14:22   #84
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am getting delivery of ZDI in a week. I have always gone for Michelin Tyres and I feel they are very good in terms of comfort, reducing road noise and handling. Do I need to upsize to get the benefits or its just that some tyres are better than others (and more expensive).

Any recommendations between LC Primary and XM2+?

Last edited by litesaber : 18th June 2015 at 14:24.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:31   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
I'd say XM2 as I have heard good reviews without any much complaints though it is on the smoother side.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
I am getting delivery of ZDI in a week. I have always gone for Michelin Tyres and I feel they are very good in terms of comfort, reducing road noise and handling. Do I need to upsize to get the benefits or its just that some tyres are better than others (and more expensive).

205s look like an overkill on those 5.5J OE rims. Parag has never had issues. I would recommend 195/60R15 3STs instead.

Installed these on the Ciaz just 2 days back.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
205s look like an overkill on those 5.5J OE rims. Parag has never had issues. I would recommend 195/60R15 3STs instead.

Installed these on the Ciaz just 2 days back.
There is a very minimal bulge on the sidewalls because of 205 and only due to those 5.5J RIMs/Alloys. They would certainly do full justice on aftermarket alloys which start from 6.5J Onwards.

I have drive around 40,000 kms with the 205s on stock Alloys without any problems whatsoever so far. However, I am also keen to explore & experiences the 195/60 during my next change but looking at the current ones I am sure I will have to wait for at least another 30,000 kms or 10 months.
Old 6th July 2015, 21:53   #88
BHPian

Thanks. I swapped out the stock tyres with 195/60 3st at the dealer itself for 18500 for 5 tyres. Love the ride the Michellins!
Old 10th October 2015, 00:41   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohin4110 View Post
Hi,

I bought my Ertiga VDI on 19.05.2014, and upsized the stock MRF-ZVTV to Yokohama Earth-1 195/65/15.

The upsized set fills the wheel well very nicely and the ride quality is much improved. Also, there were no signs of the rear wheels touching the inside of the wheel well on full load.

I suggest 195/65/15 is an appropriate upsize, which will give a good ride quality, stability and enhance the looks of the vehicle too

I am a big fan of Yoko-A Drives but sadly got to know that the A-Drives are not available anymore as Yokohama is promoting the Earth-1 range instead, but the Earth-1 is equally good as A-Drive, if not better...

Cheers...
Hi Rohin,

I had Yokohama AVS dB v550 in my car since day 1 when i took delivery of my car (Ertiga ZDi).

The tyre has run 32kms but is showing aging and a bad bruise on he side wall. Looks like a crack in the sidewall.

I am planning to change my tyre to a good, comfortable VFM one as I plan to keep my car for another 2 years before selling it off.

How has your experience with Yokohama Earth-1 195/65 R15 has been so far? By now they are more than a year old and you must have been able to experience the pros and cons of this tyre.

Let me know your experience and if its worth to go for Yoko Earth 1 195/65 R 15 or Continental CPC2 205/60 R15?

Thanks
Ran
Old 12th October 2015, 13:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hi Rohin,

I had Yokohama AVS dB v550 in my car since day 1 when i took delivery of my car (Ertiga ZDi).

The tyre has run 32kms but is showing aging and a bad bruise on he side wall. Looks like a crack in the sidewall.

I am planning to change my tyre to a good, comfortable VFM one as I plan to keep my car for another 2 years before selling it off.

How has your experience with Yokohama Earth-1 195/65 R15 has been so far? By now they are more than a year old and you must have been able to experience the pros and cons of this tyre.

Let me know your experience and if its worth to go for Yoko Earth 1 195/65 R 15 or Continental CPC2 205/60 R15?

Thanks
Ran
Hi Ran,
Thanks for checking...

The experience with Earth-1 was a good one. However, not as good as the A-Drive, which I was used to in the past.

Earth-1 lasted me 35k kms and still had some life to go another 10k, but chose to make way instead, as I was planning a road trip to Leh, whereby a new set of rubbers made a lot of sense. Earth-1 is a good VFM tyre, but having driven the dB series of the Yokos, you would not find it at par on comfort and silence. dB no doubt a tad expensive, but it surely spoils you too

I switched to 195/65/R15 Michelin Primacy ST and they are really good on comfort and durability. No puncture or damage in the trip to Leh, kind of supports the durability! However, there is a peculiar hissing noise that one gets out of these tyres at speeds in excess of 80kmph, which gets irritating after a while. It is confirmed that it is the Primacy ST issue, as recently I went to get my vehicle serviced and requested them to put the tyres of a new Ertiga onto mine for a test run. They were kind enough to do that and there it was, the noise was gone.

Please note that Ertiga doesnt have the best underbody sound insulation, thus, it makes sense to go for tyres that are high on silence and of course good on comfort too. Thus, basis my experience, in order of preference, I would recommend the following 1. Get another set of dB series, as they are truly the best for this vehicle. 2. Continental CPC2 3. Michelin Primacy ST 4. Yoko Earth-1.

Further i would recommend not to go for an up-size beyond 195/65/15, as that would kill the already sluggish engine response one gets from this vehicle, when loaded or driving up-hill.

Hope this helps Cheers...
rohin4110 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks