Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 00:55   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ertiga : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohin4110 View Post
Hi Ran,
Thanks for checking...

The experience with Earth-1 was a good one. However, not as good as the A-Drive, which I was used to in the past.

Earth-1 lasted me 35k kms and still had some life to go another 10k, but chose to make way instead, as I was planning a road trip to Leh, whereby a new set of rubbers made a lot of sense. Earth-1 is a good VFM tyre, but having driven the dB series of the Yokos, you would not find it at par on comfort and silence. dB no doubt a tad expensive, but it surely spoils you too

I switched to 195/65/R15 Michelin Primacy ST and they are really good on comfort and durability. No puncture or damage in the trip to Leh, kind of supports the durability! However, there is a peculiar hissing noise that one gets out of these tyres at speeds in excess of 80kmph, which gets irritating after a while. It is confirmed that it is the Primacy ST issue, as recently I went to get my vehicle serviced and requested them to put the tyres of a new Ertiga onto mine for a test run. They were kind enough to do that and there it was, the noise was gone.

Please note that Ertiga doesnt have the best underbody sound insulation, thus, it makes sense to go for tyres that are high on silence and of course good on comfort too. Thus, basis my experience, in order of preference, I would recommend the following 1. Get another set of dB series, as they are truly the best for this vehicle. 2. Continental CPC2 3. Michelin Primacy ST 4. Yoko Earth-1.

Further i would recommend not to go for an up-size beyond 195/65/15, as that would kill the already sluggish engine response one gets from this vehicle, when loaded or driving up-hill.

Hope this helps Cheers...
Hey Rohin

Thanks for your detailed response. Unfortunately I was in a hurry as I had a pre-planned tour for approx 600 kms last Sunday and needed to change my cracked tyres desperately.

For some reason Michelin's were not available with even a single dealer in Kolkata. Yoko AVS DB was as well out of stock. The Yokohama store had Earth 1, S-Drive for my size.

Was quoted Rs. 6.2k for a Jan 2014 Continental CPC2 but did not want a 1.5 year old tyre.

Finally was forced to get Yokohama Earth 1 as it was the only available choice for me before my journey.

So far I am happy with the new tyres as they are offering good level of comfort and were more or less silent over asphalt roads. My previous AVS DB 195/60 were 2011 manufactured and I guess they were very hard by this time resulting in a jarring ride in the last few months if I was having adequate pressure.

The Yokohama Earth 1 did around 1000 kms in the last 3 days and seems to be a very good value for money tyre. However, breaking in the AVS DB was better in my opinion.

The Tyre feels solid when it went over the potholes and the 195/65 has made my car a bit higher which is a boon for making past over the massive speed breakers that Bengal has.

I have kept 32 psi on all 4 wheels but feel I might want to make it less now that I travel with only 2 passengers most of the time.

Please let me know what you feel is the optimum tyre pressure for a 195/65 tyre on Ertiga that will have good balance between ride quality and handling?

Regards
Ranendra
Old 14th October 2015, 10:25   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hey Rohin

Thanks for your detailed response. Unfortunately I was in a hurry as I had a pre-planned tour for approx 600 kms last Sunday and needed to change my cracked tyres desperately.

For some reason Michelin's were not available with even a single dealer in Kolkata. Yoko AVS DB was as well out of stock. The Yokohama store had Earth 1, S-Drive for my size.

Was quoted Rs. 6.2k for a Jan 2014 Continental CPC2 but did not want a 1.5 year old tyre.

Finally was forced to get Yokohama Earth 1 as it was the only available choice for me before my journey.

So far I am happy with the new tyres as they are offering good level of comfort and were more or less silent over asphalt roads. My previous AVS DB 195/60 were 2011 manufactured and I guess they were very hard by this time resulting in a jarring ride in the last few months if I was having adequate pressure.

The Yokohama Earth 1 did around 1000 kms in the last 3 days and seems to be a very good value for money tyre. However, breaking in the AVS DB was better in my opinion.

The Tyre feels solid when it went over the potholes and the 195/65 has made my car a bit higher which is a boon for making past over the massive speed breakers that Bengal has.

I have kept 32 psi on all 4 wheels but feel I might want to make it less now that I travel with only 2 passengers most of the time.

Please let me know what you feel is the optimum tyre pressure for a 195/65 tyre on Ertiga that will have good balance between ride quality and handling?

Regards
Ranendra
Hi Ranendra.

Coongratulations on the new set of tyres for your ride

Yeah, Earth-1 isnt that bad too and it is value for sure. Just that I found it to be higher on noise while on the roll.

195/65/15 is ideal for ertiga and anything under or over that in my opinion is a compromise on the GC and response respectively.

It would be ideal to inflate them with nitrogen to extend the tyre life and keep the tyre pressure between 28 to 30 psi to get the best out of them, and then further seal the valve with leak proof caps. You get caps nowadays that are leak proof, lock up on the valve and have a tyre pressure indication on the cap too. It is available through MASS as a part of the MGA product range and costs Rs.400 to 500. It is an awesome investment, so go for it...

Drive safe. Cheers...
rohin4110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:31   #93
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my Ertiga's tyres. But I have the steel wheel ZDi. Can you suggest if 205 is advisable?
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my Ertiga's tyres. But I have the steel wheel ZDi. Can you suggest if 205 is advisable?
On 205 60 15 Since past 55K kms with Stock alloys. The good thing here is both Alloy and steel rims come in 5.5J width.

So 205 on the stock rims is all good.

However, I have mentioned many tines here and elsewhere that 205 might cause a very minor "Ballooning" on the sidewall due to the extra width. Else, I am more than happy with them.

If you are keen, explore some after market alloys which are 6.5J and above on which 205s will fit precisely with almost flat looking sidewall. However, do check the offsets of these aftermarket alloys as they can result in scrapping with wheel arches if they fit a little on the outside.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 20:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, I have mentioned many tines here and elsewhere that 205 might cause a very minor "Ballooning" on the sidewall due to the extra width. Else, I am more than happy with them.
It would be really helpful if you could post a few snaps from different angles. I would like to see how it looks. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2015, 20:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It would be really helpful if you could post a few snaps from different angles. I would like to see how it looks. Thanks in advance.
You can refer this post where another BHPian has posted pics of the 205/60/15 Profile on his Ertiga.

I will try to take a few pics tomorrow morning and post if they can further help you.

EDIT: Few pics from this post of mine from my ownership update should also assist you.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th November 2015 at 20:52.
Old 24th December 2015, 14:00   #97
BHPian

I upgraded my Ertiga ZDi tyres to Michellin Primary 3ST 195 60 R15. Approx 6k per tyre, Madhus Blr.

I was kind of skeptical when people said 'comfort' increased, handling increased with various tyres but let me share my thought here :-

In 2012, I sold my Swift DDiS after I found my ride too hard. I had changed my rubber to 195 Yoko A drive during that time. It never crossed my mind that a tyre could do so much to make suspension so hard and bouncy. After 3 yrs now in 2015, after getting on to Michellin on my Ertiga (current EDO 31500 kms), now I know what comfort means. TYRES DO MATTER!!!

I don't know about the current Yoko's, but my personal advice for Ertiga is Michellin 195 60 R15, its worth it. I have experienced improved comfort levels (i could feel the difference on road patches), steering has become butter smooth and reduced wheel spins (in 2nd gear turbo pull on flooring!) And I think 205 size would be an overkill for a vehicle which already is known for under performance under certain conditions. Thanks for all other posts in this thread which did help me.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 24th December 2015 at 14:14.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 15:17   #98
BHPian

I always have 33 psi on my 4 Michelins in my Ertiga ZDi with stock alloys. Ride quality is excellent and never even bumpy. Most of the time I drive alone to work,except when going on tours,when my family is with me.
Michelin are the best and I have used various Michelin tyres on all my cars since 2003
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 20:17   #99
BHPian

I have upgraded my Ertiga Zdi tires (with stock alloys) to 205 of Hancock's (2.5 yrs ago).
I've completed 61k kms as of today, couldn't have been much happier with my decision. Hancock's were cheaper than Michelin if I remember correctly.

Pros
Ride quality is improved considerably
Road grip is great, cornering is better.
Bad roads and small potholes etc, don't matter much now.
Clocked 61k now, still going strong

Cons
Increase in tire noise
Turbo lag is much appreciated in lower RPMs.
Slightly reduced fuel economy
Since it's 90% Chauffeur driven now, I'm happy with my decision.

I honestly feel Ertiga is under tired, tire upgrade is a must. Consider 195 if self driven, 205 if OK with the cons mentioned.

Last edited by drkritik : 2nd January 2016 at 20:19.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:42   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I upgraded my Ertiga ZDi tyres to Michellin Primary 3ST 195 60 R15. Approx 6k per tyre, Madhus Blr.

I was kind of skeptical when people said 'comfort' increased, handling increased with various tyres but let me share my thought here :-

In 2012, I sold my Swift DDiS after I found my ride too hard. I had changed my rubber to 195 Yoko A drive during that time. It never crossed my mind that a tyre could do so much to make suspension so hard and bouncy. After 3 yrs now in 2015, after getting on to Michellin on my Ertiga (current EDO 31500 kms), now I know what comfort means. TYRES DO MATTER!!!

I don't know about the current Yoko's, but my personal advice for Ertiga is Michellin 195 60 R15, its worth it. I have experienced improved comfort levels (i could feel the difference on road patches), steering has become butter smooth and reduced wheel spins (in 2nd gear turbo pull on flooring!) And I think 205 size would be an overkill for a vehicle which already is known for under performance under certain conditions. Thanks for all other posts in this thread which did help me.
Hi sam_sant2005,

Kindly share your experience with the Michelin Primary 3ST 195 60 R15 especially on full load conditions. I am planning for an upgrade as well and I am a bit confused between 195/60 and 205/60. My long distance runs usually involve 5 passengers and lots of luggage , so the question. It would also be great if you could post a few snaps of your new set of wheels.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
rahulb22
Old 13th November 2016, 09:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

Could somebody guide between 195 60 R15 vs 195 65 R15 please? I know the later will increase the GC but former will reduce it. Question in mind is it is better to have more GC on pathetic roads, isn't it? Specifically in Bangalore the area where I stay have speed breakers or rather car breakers
I am planning for michelins only but bit confused between sizes mentioed above. Considering high speed highway driving which ones are better? Again do not want to go for 205 60 R15 since mine is petrol ertiga and already the milage is well below diesel one. A kilometer or two less per liter will be a killer after tyre upgrade.

Regards
Old 14th November 2016, 12:07   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Could somebody guide between 195 60 R15 vs 195 65 R15 please?
Regards
I had Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60 R15 on my Ertiga Vxi.

IMHO 195/60 R15 for Petrol and 205/60 R15 for Diesel are the best upgrade options.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 13:09   #103
BANNED

I just got my ertiga's first tire change at 73k kms. I was so happy i got to finally dispose the crappy MRFs. Went for Yokohama Earth 1 in stock size. So far much much happier with the tires. It's more grippy plus quieter than the MRFs. Also takes the bumps in a softer way.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 11:48   #104
BHPian

I have a 2013 Ertiga Vdi and it has run close to 40K KMS on stock MRF's. I am looking for replacing the tyres. I want to retain the stock size. I am unable to make up mind as the choices are too much. With MRF i have had only couple of punctures so far i have driven in worst of roads but it has never given up. But after reading this thread want to try Michelin? but reviews are mixed for Michelin. i hear people says they are prone for punctures. please guide.
Old 15th February 2017, 12:07   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
But after reading this thread want to try Michelin? but reviews are mixed for Michelin. i hear people says they are prone for punctures. please guide.
Michelin XM2 is the one you can settle for if you are worried about Puntures. They have served my Ertiga for 92,000 kms with only one puncture on one of the 4 tires.

As of now my Ertiga is on Michelin Primacy 3ST and I am yet to completely make a judgement on how good or bad it is when it comes to punctures.

Go for Michelin XM2s.

Most Viewed