Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 56.88%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.63%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.13%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 38 8.86%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 13.99%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.43%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.06%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2017, 10:26   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

I change my tyre once every 4-5 years if it is hard-compound, sooner in case if soft-compound. My vote would be for both age and wear!

Nothing gives more peace of mind while pushing the car or bike in the ghats than one in perfect mechanical condition.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 11:25   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

I have so far changed the tyres only when the tread depth goes down. And that usually happens within the 5 year mark. I have not had to contemplate changing them based on age since the cars haven't been sitting idle.

But, I guess it makes sense to change the rubber that has been idle for a long time. If sparingly used, maybe it can stretch till 7-8 years.
Old 4th November 2017, 12:13   #138
Senior - BHPian

The age thing comes into play only where no other factor dictating a change is present.
Old 16th November 2018, 16:45   #139
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have a Fluidic Verna SX Petrol, 2012 that has completed 45000 kms and is still running on stock tyres: Bridgestone B250 195/55/R16.
No punctures in any tyre through these 45k and obviously I am very happy with these.

All tyres still have sufficient tread left and can last 10 k easily. However, I am a bit concerned about the fine cracks that appear on the side of the tread area. Mind it, its not on the side wall. Pics attached.

What do you guys suggest - should I change them now, which will set me back by 30k?

If so, should I stick to same brand and model or look for something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20181116_162958.jpg  

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-img_20181116_162946.jpg  

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?-15423668207391999878555.jpg  

Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:18   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
All tyres still have sufficient tread left and can last 10 k easily. However, I am a bit concerned about the fine cracks that appear on the side of the tread area. Mind it, its not on the side wall. Pics attached.

What do you guys suggest - should I change them now, which will set me back by 30k?

Those cracks looks scary to me. I would suggest you to replace all the tyres at the earliest. There is no point in taking risk with these tyres.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:25   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I have a Fluidic Verna SX Petrol, 2012 that has completed 45000 kms and is still running on stock tyres: Bridgestone B250 195/55/R16.
No punctures in any tyre through these 45k and obviously I am very happy with these.
You tyres are long GONE. You are currently treading on its after life. Please change your tyres ASAP.

There are way too many cracks below the tread. Just not worth the risk. No idea why a 6 year old tyre should develop so many hairline faults. Usually these start appearing after the 7 year mark. Maybe due to the softer compound in newer tyres.

Last edited by longhorn : 16th November 2018 at 17:29.
longhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:40   #142
BHPian

Thanks Guys!! I will do the change immediately. Any suggestions on brand and model for the fluidic Verna sx petrol?
Old 16th November 2018, 17:46   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Please change the tyres. I made the same mistake and on highway, the tyre came out layer by layer after a harsh braking.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 18:00   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys!! I will do the change immediately. Any suggestions on brand and model for the fluidic Verna sx petrol?
You can stick to the same size/spec but look for other brands. Below thread is for Verna 2nd gen,
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...de-thread.html (Hyundai Verna (2nd gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 18:44   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The rubber compound that a tyre is made off has a life of 4 years in use + 2 years in storage. Km wise 45000 is hardly any thing, If you do not abuse them the tyres can last many more kms.
The cracks that you see are due to rubber hardening, and fracturing. It is more on the surface and reduces on the inside, but the fatigue exists.
Replace the tyres at the earliest.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 19:26   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

If so, should I stick to same brand and model or look for something else?
Surely you need to change the tires, they have outlived their useful life.
Investing in good tires gives peace of mind and should be done without hesitation.
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:23   #147
BHPian

Okay guys, further to my tyre query above, I was in market for some research on the options available and respective prices.

Michelin: XM2- 30 - 31k all inclusive.

Bridgestone : B250 not available, Ecopia are apparently not great. 26 k all inclusive for ecopia.

Goodyear ASSURANCE Tripplemax: looks like best deal at a shade under 24 k all inclusive. Reviews have been fairly good.

Yokohama Earth 1- This has caught my eye, apparently they are more premium than GY and have great reviews. 25k all inclusive for four tyres.

My thoughts:
XM2: Do I need softer ones given Verna already has a soft ride. Also, I think these have relatively lesser life.

Bridgestone: B250 is priced very close to XM2. Don't think they are worth it. Ecopia are average stuff I believe.

GY ATM: Looks vfm. Unconditional warranty is a big plus. Concerned if stiffer side wall will help the soft ride of Verna or will it make it worse?

Yokohama: Very inclined for these but are they really better than GY where the unconditional warranty makes a compelling case?

What do you recommend keeping the Verna in mind?

Thanks in advance
Old 21st November 2018, 19:59   #148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I have decided. My Gypsy has Goodyear Wranglers 215/75/15.
2 years old. Still in Brand new condition because they have hardly driven 6000kms in their life.
I m going to use them till they wear out, just like I would, a pair of shoes. And I’m going to flout all the usual “rules” about “tyres must be changed every four years because they harden” and so on. Let’s see what happens. Anyway I dont drive the Gypsy off road. I mostly use it at normal acceptable speeds, rarely exceeding 80-100kmph. So Ive made up my mind to experiment on this and see what happens.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 22:26   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin: XM2- 30 - 31k all inclusive.

My thoughts:
XM2: Do I need softer ones given Verna already has a soft ride. Also, I think these have relatively lesser life.
Do check the Michelin Primacy 4 as well which has been introduced just this year in India. My cousin who has a Verna bought the Michelin P3ST in a higher size (205/55R16) and has been extremely happy with the upgraded tires.

We tried out luck with Amazon.in in terms of the tire purchase and it worked out well > (Review: Buying Tyres on Amazon.in). The tires were purchased from Premji Tires based out of Thane area.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st November 2018 at 22:27.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 22:46   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Okay guys,

What do you recommend keeping the Verna in mind?

Thanks in advance

Have you checked out Continental ? My friend changed old tires to CPC2 on his Getz and said he is quite satisfied, less tire noise, good sidewall thickness and last but not the least liked the tread or groove pattern ( his choice)
I now see continental India we site showing ContiMaxContact MC5 for Verna tyre size. You may check this at your local tyre shop.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks