Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 57.01%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.64%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.14%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 37 8.64%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 14.02%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.44%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.07%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 13:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
With the kind of usage i have, the tires in my car do not get to see so many years. I change the tires as soon as they are worn upto TWI mark.

I guess this is a very basic clarification, does TWI mean Tyre Wear Indicator?

Can you please help us understand maybe pictorially where to locate it and how do we understand the condition by looking at it.

Not sure if it has been answered already and if so please let know the thread.
Old 28th June 2012, 15:08   #47
BHPian

1) Voted for Option 1 in situation am currently in:
Have done about 47K with stock Goodyear GT3 on my Linea in 2.5 years, no punctures, which means spare tyre is like new. The tread is still quite visible on all tyres. The tyres look good for another 5K atleast, however, the thought of tyre change is at the back of mind.

Considering the KMs driven was kind of left with only one option to choose from "I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth".

2) Voting option could change given a different situation (example below)

With my Hero Honda Splendor I changed the tyres after about 10 years when I saw the cracks developing on sidewalls.

As years go by, cracks develope on side walls, how much time it takes for that to happen is anybody's guess.

Assuming my Linea didn't have that kind of running and assuming normal tyre running with no major puncutres/issues, the decision for tyre change would have been based on the condition of sidewalls (since in that case most likely the tread would be in good shape).

3) Question below for all Fellow BHPins who voted for Option 1,

While searching on the net came across this article which seems to suggest when the tread depth reaches 1.6MM, that's the time to change.

How to Know when Car Tires Need Replacing: 7 steps

Would like to hear comments from fellow BHPins who voted for Option 1, what threshold/yardstick you typically use?

Mods, If this has already been discussed on another thread, please remove the post and add link to the appropriate thread.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:05   #48
BHPian

It was not very long back I gave a thought about it and now its on teambhp.
I go with the thread wear index than the number of years.
May be it works for me because I drive extensively and inevitably I end up changing my tires once in 3 1/2 years.

It is unsafe to use old rubbers in high friction area and that is the first thing to give up.
And tyre is the last thing which you want to give up on you.

I really love the comfort on a new set of shoes for my cars.
It rolls like butter. Wish I could do it more often.

And always change tires in pairs. Never a single tyre. The rule of thumb.
Old 28th June 2012, 16:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r
I think we should add another option to the poll that says "I change tyres only when I go bald (assuming there still is a tyre)" :-D
Not sure if you meant the owner/driver going bald or the tyre going bald. If it is the latter, there already exists an option for this on the poll - see the last option in the list.
If you meant the former, I am not sure how receding hairline is related to tyre change.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:08   #50
BHPian

63k and 8 years later, the tyres on my santro are still going strong.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Previously I owned a WagonR which had MRF tyres, after five years and 60Kms, the tread was still holding good for another 15000Kms(as per the tyre dealers), but all the 4 tyres had very small cracks on the side wall. Hence I was advised that if I am going to use for another 15K Kms then it should be only for city drive and not on the highways because on the highway if I go beyond 70Km/hr speed then the tyre will get heated up very fast. I got this same response from MRF/Apollo/Bridgestone dealers and from Maruti Service station as well.

When I asked about the reason for the crack, they said the tyre has crossed its limit(40K Kms and 5 years). I didn't do any further research and just changed the tyres. So, I would say its not only the tread condition but the overall condition of the tyre also matters.
Old 28th June 2012, 20:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^^True. Apart from tread, other wear/tear of the tyres also are a factor to decide replacement.
Now assuming your Waggy's tyres did not have the cracks on the side-wall, would you have retained the tyres for 15K kms more or still replaced them ? I would think it would have been the former.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th June 2012 at 20:11.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:01   #53

I have a m800 with ceat tyres on it. i take it on the highway often. once when i stopped midway i noticed cracks on the side walls it was present in all the four wheels and they were quiet big. i reduced my speed as i did not want to take risk. the disktance covered by them was around 32000 km .
I changed them with michelin tubless tyres after 8 years. the old tyre which had some amount of treads in it fetched some money.
Old 29th June 2012, 21:14   #54
BHPian

In my G1 Innova, I have covered about 82,400 Kms in four and a half years. The tread depth is more than 4 mm. So still going strong. The tyres are Goodyear GT3 tubeless. However, in one of the tyres I had to fit a tube as there were two consecutive punctures at the same location. Also another tyre developed crack on the side wall so had to change it. I am using the new tyre as the spare one anyway.
Old 29th June 2012, 21:30   #55
BHPian

Ive done 17k kms on my yokohamas 195-60-14.The tread depth is still in good condition.
Should it be mandatory to change tyres after a certain number of years or change it after a certain number of kms.Various factors are to be considered.Such as, if the cars set up is not right then tyres might get worn out faster than usual.
On the other hand if time is the factor then the tyres rubber might harden.Which would prove hazardous.Im sure tyres have a shelf life.When i had bought my tyres i made sure to check the manufacturing dates on the tyres to make sure they arent too old.Old but brand new.Not many are aware.You could be buying tyres that are brand new but been sitting in the storeroom of the shop for couple of years.Thanks forums on this site i was alert when buying them.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:19   #56
BHPian

I change when the tire depth is below the acceptable level.

The acceptable depth is 2/32", this is the legal depth set by US DoT.
Old 30th June 2012, 11:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^True. Apart from tread, other wear/tear of the tyres also are a factor to decide replacement.
Now assuming your Waggy's tyres did not have the cracks on the side-wall, would you have retained the tyres for 15K kms more or still replaced them ? I would think it would have been the former.
I would have pushed it for at least another 10K KMs before changing it because the treads were good for it.

My current Dzire has done 31K Kms(1yr 2months) on its stock JK Tyres, but already I am looking for a change. The treads are good, no cracks etc. But still I am looking for a change because I want to try Michelin or Bridgestone which has a good feedback especially on the tyre noise part and ride quality. So, in this case I am not satisfied with the current set and hence the change despite the tread level.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:21   #58
BHPian

My views & what I practice...
1. Change tyres when you reach the tyre tread depth immaterial of age or kms run.
2. when tyres maintained well, right tyre pressure, timely rotation will defintely last 60,000km or even more. This again depends on road condition, on/off-road abuse etc.
3. Assuming you dont do enough driving and you havent done enoough km; then it is advisable to change every 3 years. Tyres rubber get hard & loose their property.
So, replace every 3 years for your safety and keep inspecting tyres ateleast evry month for any wear & tear, side wall damages.
I am using in UAE and all my cars have lasted more than 60,000km or even more in less than 3 years.
Old 30th June 2012, 14:23   #59
BHPian

In my 2000 OHC VTEC, when I got the car in 2011, the owner proudly showed the unused spare tyre. I kept silent, since anyways I had a plan of replacing it with Es100. I got a very good resale value for the specific tyre and was paid Rs.1500.

I change tyres based on any of the three conditions.

1. Life: Should never exceed 5 years
2. Thread: should never go below 2 or 3mm mark
3. Bulge: I keep my eyes open for the outside wall and try to check the inside wall as often as possible. If I see any bulge on the side walls, the tyres are scrapped immediately. I don't even think of selling it off.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:30   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

It is these kinds of accidents that make it important to check the condition of tyres on our vehicles.

Three from B’lore killed in Haveri accident

The condition of tyres become all the more important when travelling on highways at relatively higher speeds. People tend to load their vehicles to the brim with people and luggage when going out of town. The stress of high speed and extra load can be too much for old tyres. Combination of damaged tyres, high speed, high load and underinflation is a recipe for disaster.

I change the tyres on my car when the tread wears down to close to the TWI mark. Sometimes even before that if I feel the tyres are not giving me comfortable levels of grip. Of course if there are any signs of damage or cut, out they go.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st July 2012 at 10:31.

Most Viewed