Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 244 56.88%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 7 1.63%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 22 5.13%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 38 8.86%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 60 13.99%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 19 4.43%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 6 1.40%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 3 0.70%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.47%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 26 6.06%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Till recently, I was of the opinion that most people (including myself) change tyres only when the current set has worn out or has suffered some damage (cuts etc) that rendered them risky to use. However, it was only recently that I came to know (on tbhp, where else) that there exists another segment of customers who change tyres strictly by age, even if treads are in good shape. So, if the tyres have been in service say x years, they are replaced even if tread is good.

So, this thread is to know how tbhp-ians determine tyre-change intervals. Have added some poll options also. Please select option most suitable to you and would also help if you could list any reasons for the rationale behind your thought-process in determining tyre change interval.

Regarding the debate on age vs wear itself, I googled and found lot of links (including to other auto forums) with opinions sharply divided on the issue between proponents for each school of thought. Given this, I would think it would be helpful if tyre companies gave an indicative life for their tyres. But while they seem vaguely acknowledging that age is indeed a factor, they don't go as far as specifying an age for tyres.

Anyway, hopefully this thread (and the poll) would give an indicative idea of how we go about replacing tyres.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st June 2012 at 15:48.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

Till now, I have replaced tyres only based on tread wear and not based on the life of the tyre. But my usage is mostly within the city at low to medium speeds.

But after joining team-bhp and reading some tyre related discussions, I have gained some insights about tyre change. There may actually be a few advantages of changing the tyres before they actually start looking worn-off:

1. You would get a better buy-back price for a lesser worn out set of tyres
2. Tyres prices keep increasing. So, combined with point 1, you might actually be saving money by changing tyres earlier than it is absolutely required.

Rohan
Old 21st June 2012, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

@rohan_iitr, you could select the poll option based on the tyre-replacement behaviour you have followed till date.

Regarding tyre-buyback, I did not get you. I agree tyre prices are increasing, but how can changing tyres before tread wears off help save money ? And even though new tyres cost a lot, what we get for old tyres with some tread on it, would not be comparably high IMO.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Both for my two-wheelers and car, I have been changing the tyres once they have been in use for about 6 years. I see that the tyres develop small cracks etc. by this time and feel it safe to replace the tyres especially in the car which is often taken out on long distance trips. There is usually a good amount of tread left even after 6 years since the annual running of these vehicles is not too much.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:38   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

In all the vehicles that we have used since 1993, I have changed them once the tread has reached the minimum depth. This usually arrives after about four to five years of usage and generally after the 40k kms mark. However, there have been times when I have had to change the tyres earlier since the tread had worn very quickly. A set of JK Tyres on the Maruti Omni we owned in 2000 went bald at the 35k kms mark and after 3.5 years.

The last set of Bridgestone S322s on my Santro lasted for 4.5 years and 57,000 kms before I changed them. My Alto currently runs on MRF ZVTS tyres that are just four years old and have sufficient tread (will last at least 10k kms more) left but provide no grip whatsoever after 52k kms on the odo.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

With the kind of usage i have, the tires in my car do not get to see so many years. I change the tires as soon as they are worn upto TWI mark.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

I change my cars tyres only, when the tread goes below the acceptable level or tyre have suffered good number of punctures or some other damage.

Tyres do get hard after around 4 years of usage, so changing them with age is a good idea, but i still go ahead with the tread. If it's nearing below acceptable level, i go ahead and change them.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 21st June 2012, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2012 at 20:57.
Chopper is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st June 2012, 17:15   #9
BHPian

This came in just at the right time.

I am due to change tyres on my Fiesta, its already 42k kms and still running on stock MRF ZV2K. Lately it has started giving me jitters on turns and a strange feedback into the steering, which is very unusual. All this is happening even though an acceptable tread depth remains. The rubber has gone hard, it doesn't absorb the potholes as easily as it used to do around 10k kms back.

This supports the fact of the tyres' life irrespective of its tread depth and how many kms it has run. I first heard about it from someone, whom I find quite knowledgeable - 'Tyres start wearing out as soon as they hit the road. All this happens not just on the tread but the overall health of the tyre due to the weather conditions - Sun, Rain etc.' Being in India, where weather conditions are extreme, its difficult.

I think its time I give my ride a set of new shoes before it slips, with me in it

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 21st June 2012 at 17:17.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I consider available tread / wear-out, but subject to a 7 year life.

If there is no tread left, no point in using it further.
But rubber degrades with time & hardens. As it hardens, they become less & less safe. Hence change them .. about 7 years is what I feel is a fair usage, before changing them.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:20   #11
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
I am due to change tyres on my Fiesta, its already 42k kms and still running on stock MRF ZV2K. Lately it has started giving me jitters on turns and a strange feedback into the steering, which is very unusual. All this is happening even though an acceptable tread depth remains. The rubber has gone hard, it doesn't absorb the potholes as easily as it used to do around 10k kms back.
Exactly my experience with the set of MRF ZVTS tyres on my Alto. I started feeling the lack of grip and hardening of the rubber around the 35k kms mark and as a result of the loss of grip, I had a minor shunt as well. The MRF and Bridgestone (to an extent) tyres are made of a hard compound that are hard-wearing and aimed at increasing the tread life. The drawback of this is lack of grip especially in wet conditions.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:26   #12
BHPian

SB,

My bad I didn't notice the 1st option and ended up selecting the last one

I changed the tires on my Palio in just 1yr when the tread was wearing out and I felt that it was not safe for me to continue with that any further. The stock Goodyears ran for 37600 kms with no punctures.

The 2nd set (Yoko A-Drives) has completed 15k in 8 months and still good for lot more but I have already had 4 punctures on the same

And with my kind of running I don't expect the tires to last 2 years or more.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 21st June 2012 at 17:27.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:28   #13
BHPian

We were recommended by our trusted local mechanic to change the tyres for our 2006 swift with only 23k kms on the odo. The reason being, in hyderabad, due to extreme weather, especially heat, the tyres become hard and they do not provide the sufficient cushioning effect and this could adversely effect the suspension setup. We experienced this personally only after sitting in a friend's 2006 swift with new set of wheels. The ride was much more comfortable. Note that the make and model of the tyres were the same. Our car was transmitting all the bumps and roughness into the cabin much more noticeably. We also found that the tyre compound between the two cars had quite a lot of difference in terms of sidewall flixibility and surface roughness.
Old 21st June 2012, 17:34   #14
BHPian

Wow!! 4-7yrs seems to be the average. I have been changing my tyres ever 18-24mths!! The average miles I cover a year is about 13,000, which is about 21000 Kms. I have been changing my tyres purely on the thread wear indicator. Plus being an AWD I have to change all 4 tyres at once! These are Pirelli P Zeros, so the compound is quite soft.

Does the rubber compound on tyres have a 7 year shelf life?
Old 21st June 2012, 19:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I recently purchased a used CAMRY of 2002.It is with 14000kms on odo,and when I saw the tyres (all 5 tyres) they were having NOV 2010 as mfg date,Just 14000kms and new tyres????? The owner told me that he changes tyres in all his cars not by the life in the treads but years they were used on the car. 5yrs is the end of life for the tyres on the car,used or unused.In his mind set up I was happiest man having got his car with FULL TREAD life in the tyres.

Most Viewed