Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 00:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo

Well, since you have already purchased a second-hand tyre, I hope you are using the newly purchased second-hand tyre as the stepney and installed the old (hopefully unused) stepney on the rear wheel?
Old 26th July 2012, 08:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuthomas View Post
Dear all,

update: The final story is that MRF people informed that the tyre cannot be replaced. Hence since i did not want to invest a huge amount (4.5K) on a new tyre, purchased a 15K run tyre for 1000 rupees from ashoka tyres at Hyderabad.

regards
Joshu
Hi joshuthomas, glad that there was no mishap other than a ruptured tyre.

2 things.
  1. Get the left rear wheel bearing and brake line, drum etc checked, as you are not sure how much you drove with that flat tyre. The heat generated would have been tremendous.
  2. Throw away that tyre which you bought for 1K. Tyres are not something which you should skimp on. And you seem to drive a lot as well. Nevertheless, buy a brand new MRF.
Old 26th July 2012, 08:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

@JoshuThomas, not to sound too critical, but please invest the right amount of money to buy a new and good tyre. The tyres should last you for around 50k to 60k if properly maintained. You will easily take 3-4 years to complete this distance, so buying a brand new tyre would only cost you a little more than 1k per year. Peanuts compared to the peace of mind and benefits you get.

You haven't provided any info on the tyre maintenance. Since it was only 9k I assume the tyres hadn't been rotated, but did you regularly check for air pressure, at least once a week?

Checking for the air pressure every week should give you indicators if one of the tyres is leaking more air than the other three, and you can then get it examined.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:18   #19

Dear R2D2,

Thanks for the comment and advice.
I personally did not want to go for a used tyre but, considering the fact the other 3 tyres are used up to 15K mileage, a new tyre in the lot would be odd was my thought. Anyhow, I have run another 5k on the new tyres and the figo has clocked 20K. Will lookforward to change all tyres when am planning to add a alloy set. (Hopefully).

Thanks and regards,
Joshu
Old 26th April 2013, 07:03   #20

I recently had a case on the Pune-Bom expressway where my front right tyre suffered some serious damage. Started wobbling violently. History behind that tyre is that it had a wall puncture which was fixed twice, and I'm guessing it got punctured somewhere on the way and continued to be driven. Anyone has any ideas?

Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo-figo-1.jpg

What's even worse is that it took some body along with it. Need to get this fixed now.

Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo-figo-2.jpg
Old 9th May 2013, 08:53   #21

More update on that, here's the actual condition of the tyre when removed from the boot.

Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo-320130427-17.23.32.jpg
Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo-420130427-17.23.38.jpg
Tyre Damage - My Experience with a stock MRF Tyre on the Ford Figo-520130427-17.23.45.jpg
Old 16th May 2013, 19:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkash
History behind that tyre is that it had a wall puncture which was fixed twice
When the tyre had puncture in the wall, you should not have used that tyre and instead should have bought and fitted a new tyre.
Tyre Wall has to bear all the weight of car as well as its passenger(s).
So it is not recommended to use a tyre with a wall puncture however good the puncture has been repaired.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
When the tyre had puncture in the wall, you should not have used that tyre and instead should have bought and fitted a new tyre.
Last month, while going to my hometown in Kerala, my Figo's left rear tyre suffered a similar fate. It went into a ditch whose edges were sharp and I think it hit some stones on the side. There was a small crack on the sidewall as a result of this (about 5mm long). When I went to the shop, he told that I can use a tube inside and keep it as the spare tyre. But I went for a new tyre, as I drive a lot on the highways and I preferred peace of mind over Rs. 4800. A sidewall damage is usually not repairable as such. As the sidewalls take the load and flex while cornering, there is a lot of stress on this area and it has to be healthy if you want to drive confidently. By the way, my car is also a Figo, shod with MRF zv2k tyres . Had done around 26K Kms on that tyre, with lots of life left in it.

My take - Never take a chance with a tyre that suffered sidewall damage.

Last edited by A350XWB : 16th May 2013 at 19:53.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed