Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2019, 19:09   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Recently I saw Michelin Primacy 3ZP as the OEM RFTs on a brand new 520d in the showroom, and turns out they are also available in the size I want. So this is one option for me.
Which tyre did you finally get?

Michelin P3ZP is the cheapest option for X1 225 55 R17 Rs. 15,000. Surprising.

BMW India charges Rs. 22,000 for Bridgestone Turanza T001I and 20,000 for Pirelli Cinturato P7. In my experience Bridgestone are any day better and Pirelli is worst.

Haven't tried Michelin but I'm sure it be better from experience of XM1 and XM2.
Old 23rd September 2019, 16:05   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Michelin P3ZP is the cheapest option for X1 225 55 R17 Rs. 15,000. Surprising.
I haven't changed my tyres yet. Still running on the earlier tyres. The tyres are not that bad yet, and hence taking my time to decide on the next set of tyres.

The price you are getting for Michelin P3ZP is very good. I am getting 225/50/R17 size for about 16.5k in Bangalore.

I am still unsure about whether to stick with RFTs or get regular tubeless tyres (in which case I will get Micheline PS4 for sure), and hence the delay in changing the tyres.
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still unsure about whether to stick with RFTs or get regular tubeless tyres
If you do touring, go for RTF and if your major use is only in city then tubeless.

I do lot of touring and faced 3 instances wherein if it wasn't RFT, I would have to change to space saver where puncture happened. Due to RFT was able to drive to a safe spot even 2 km away.

Also if during high speed you face a tyre burst or puncture, you will stay in control of car. Tubeless can be either ways.

For this same reason, I would stick to RFT.

Michelin P3ST Tubeless 225 55 R17 is for Rs. 11,000 and RFT for 15,000.

RFT is a no brainer in X1.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 14:56   #79
BHPian

I have experienced RFT only for 4800 kms so far in my 630d GT M sport and the experience hasn't been good so far. The ride is very harsh compared to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (205/50 R16) and had my first incident with them.

Pirelli P Zero 275/40 R19 suffered with a big bulge on the side wall when the driver was driving. I asked him if he hit a pot hole at high speed? He is maintaining that nothing of that sort happened, brother was him all through and he also din't notice any particular instance. Driver has been with us for over a decade and does baby the car on bumps. Cannot explain this though?

Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-imageuploadedbyteambhp1569575977.352712.jpg

Taking the car out on long drives will always have the "what if something goes wrong" thought lingering going forward. How has been the experience with other RFT guys on long drives with relatively bad indian roads especially right after monsoon.??

Same thing happened with my cousins 530 d M Sport good year run flats. Low side wall height the only explanation?
Blackbolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 15:36   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
How has been the experience with other RFT guys on long drives with relatively bad indian roads especially right after monsoon.??
I have suffered from RFT's since ages now. You should switch over to Michilens P4S or P4 depending on the budget/ availability. This happened last week, the donut spare tyre saved my trip and I could reach back home. I drove around 100 kms with speed limiter set to 80Kmph. Don't buy Pirelli, they make noise after 10-15 K. Do invest in a space saver if you don't already have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-whatsapp-image-20190920-10.41.23-am-2.jpeg  

Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-whatsapp-image-20190920-10.49.43-am.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:18   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I saw Michelin Primacy 3ZP as the OEM RFTs on a brand new 520d in the showroom, and turns out they are also available in the size I want. So this is one option for me.

Has anyone used these tyres, or know more about these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I finally went ahead and bought Michelin Primacy 3 ZP tyres. Already drove 800km on those (including a long drive on the weekend), and totally loved them. They offer the best of both worlds - the ruggedness of the RFTs and the comfort of normal tubeless tyres.

My short summary/review is here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4680194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
I have experienced RFT only for 4800 kms so far in my 630d GT M sport and the experience hasn't been good so far. The ride is very harsh compared to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (205/50 R16) and had my first incident with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have suffered from RFT's since ages now. You should switch over to Michilens P4S or P4 depending on the budget/ availability.
I think the new Michelin RFTs - Primacy 3 ZP and Pilot Sports 4 ZP - are the perfect answers to all these issues. Since we already agree that Michelin P3ST and PS4 are great tyres, what better than these same tyres in RFT version? I think RFTs have got a lot of bad name, and justifiably so, but I would recommend these Michelin RFTs and these might change your opinion. They have certainly changed my opinion about RFTs :-)
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 23:20   #82
BHPian

Because blowing sidewalls on RFTs is too mainstream, my car decided to throw a curveball at my by blowing my alloy instead, almost leading me stranded on the road.

So I always felt quite smug about my 16" wheels with huge 55 profile 225/55 R16 RFTs on our wonderful roads. The high sidewall, along with the puncture repair kit & air compressor in the trunk, would keep me mobile at all times, I thought. Until I hit a deep pothole at ~40kmph with a vertical edge at the end, and immediately the car started to make a grinding noise from the front left, in tune with each revolution of the wheel. I groaned, and stopped by the side of the road to check the damage, and found nothing wrong! The tyre was in perfect shape. Weird, I thought to myself and gingerly started driving again. The noise was still present, once per revolution of the wheel - so I stopped and looked and looked and then looked some more, and finally found that the inner rim of the alloy had gotten bent from the impact and was brushing against either the lower control arm or some other component of the brake disk. This is when I realized the value of having a donut, even if it takes up half the space in the trunk.

Conveniently, this was around midnight on an extremely deserted stretch of road, and any help would take hours and hours to arrive. I was in no mood for that!

So I took out the tow hook (it's heavy!) from the boot and hammered the alloy for a good 5 minutes to coax it back into shape. And thank heavens that it worked just enough to make the grinding go away, and I was able to nurse the car back home safely, with a new alloy added to my shopping list.

I guess this is a problem unique to the 16" rims as the clearance between the rims and the other components is much lower than the 17" or larger rims. Seems like there's no escaping tyre/alloy issues with BMWs in India!
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I have suffered from RFT's since ages now. You should switch over to Michilens P4S or P4 depending on the budget/ availability. This happened last week, the donut spare tyre saved my trip and I could reach back home. I drove around 100 kms with speed limiter set to 80Kmph. Don't buy Pirelli, they make noise after 10-15 K. Do invest in a space saver if you don't already have one.
Is it advisable to change to tubeless tyres from the first day? Is the suspension warranty still valid?

OT:: Why are they called space savers if they gobble up the precious cargo space which is extremely precious for longer drives?

Has anyone tried putting in their tyres below the cargo area - maybe by making a custom foam thingamajig to hold the tyre in it?
Old 27th February 2020, 21:03   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Is it advisable to change to tubeless tyres from the first day? Is the suspension warranty still valid?
If you are buying a new BMW car, it comes with a secured package which covers 4 wheels with tyres. In case these are damaged you can file a claim that does not affect your regular insurance and depending on the damage, you can claim just the tyres or alloy or both. In case you are changing the tyres from Day 1, your claim on new tyres won’t be available and any damage to alloys maybe a grey area depending on how the dealership supports you. Suspension warranty is also dependent on the dealership. Recently, we have got rear air suspension of our 2015 MY 730 that had regular tyres but we were not asked anything and parts were replaced under warranty. I don’t see any suspension relating components failing in a new car either. If Comfort is important, do change the tyres from day 1
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 22:23   #85
ais
BHPian

Quote:
If you are buying a new BMW car, it comes with a secured package which covers 4 wheels with tyres. In case these are damaged you can file a claim that does not affect your regular insurance and depending on the damage, you can claim just the tyres or alloy or both.
In my case, only the alloys are bent, but BMW insists on changing the tyres as well, even though the tyres are fine with 7mm tread left in them!

The Secure package is rubbish. Its too restrictive, expensive and requires a lot of drama. I'll elaborate once I'm through with the process.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:03   #86
BHPian

At what tread dept should RFT’s be changed under Indian road conditions?

And why do RFT wear faster than tubeless or is it that they come with less tread?
Old 4th March 2021, 09:50   #87

Hey Guys, Need to change the Tyres on my Audi A4, currently using the Pirelli Cinturato P7 255/50 R17 94Y, Driving is mostly within the city.

Please advise if I can replace them with better alternatives from Bridgestone, Michelin etc.

P.s. Mods apologies, due to lack of a reply, I had to repost my query here.
Old 4th March 2021, 13:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcos View Post
Please advise if I can replace them with better alternatives from Bridgestone, Michelin etc.
First step it to make some calls to the big dealers nearby. See what is really available and their manufacturing dates.

Michelin at least has been crippled by the import restrictions, although there is news that imports may start to come through soon.
Old 4th March 2021, 18:40   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
First step it to make some calls to the big dealers nearby. See what is really available and their manufacturing dates.

Michelin at least has been crippled by the import restrictions, although there is news that imports may start to come through soon.
One of my dealer has Pirelli, Continental & Apollo Aspire available. I’m sure other dealers might be having more options.
Other members please chime in with your suggestions & experience.
Old 8th March 2021, 13:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Need a quick help guys!

One of the Bridgestone Alenzas on my X3 was approved for replacement under BMW Secure warranty in December. Thanks to the ongoing tire import issues, replacement wasn't available. Have waited for over two months. Now, the dealer has managed to procure one Pirelli Cinturato 245x50R19 (stock size) and suggesting I go for it.

Is it advisable to mix one Pirelli with three Bridgestones considering car has done only about 6200 kms and other tires have life for over 20,000 kms more? The damaged tire is usable (no air loss after repairing puncture) therefore, I can wait for few more weeks for possibly same brand replacement to arrive.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 8th March 2021 at 13:29.
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks