Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 16:09   #46
BHPian

BMW Tyre Pressure Loss

My BMW 5 series has run about 8k kilometers. The tyre on the left back is losing air. Again and again. Is it a puncture? What is the best solution? To get it repaired or to buy a new tyre.
If I get a repair work done can I travel long distances?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 9th March 2014, 17:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Tyre Pressure Loss

Get the puncture repaired like in a normal tyre. As long as the repair is done properly you won't have any issues traveling long distances. No need to replace the tyre just for a puncture.
Old 9th March 2014, 17:47   #48
BHPian

Most likely a puncture - I got one on my RFT on the highway - Drove to the nearest good tyre shop and got the nail removed and the regular tubeless puncture repair done...
As long as the sidewall doesn't have a hole/damage, you can get it repaired without any long term issues
Old 9th March 2014, 19:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

You have to excuse me as I don't have much experience with these things in India. But if your tires have no inner tubes, i.e. tubeless, there could also be a problem with the rim. If the rim is damaged/bend you might get leakage as the tire won't seal properly against the rim.

But as said before, the chances are its just a puncture. Depending on how large and where you should be able to get that easily repaired.

Lastly, sometimes there is a problem with the valve. Over the years I've had any number of problems with tires. Mostly punctures, but I did have a few bent rims and twice a problem with the valve. A good tire shop can sort it out quickly.

Jeroen
Old 9th March 2014, 19:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You have to excuse me as I don't have much experience with these things in India. But if your tires have no inner tubes, i.e. tubeless, there could also be a problem with the rim. If the rim is damaged/bend you might get leakage as the tire won't seal properly against the rim.

But as said before, the chances are its just a puncture. Depending on how large and where you should be able to get that easily repaired.

Lastly, sometimes there is a problem with the valve. Over the years I've had any number of problems with tires. Mostly punctures, but I did have a few bent rims and twice a problem with the valve. A good tire shop can sort it out quickly.

Jeroen
If it is the rim, the tyre will deflate completely. Exceptions exist but 99% of the time air will escape completely.

This particular case sounds like a normal puncture.
Old 16th March 2014, 11:39   #51
BHPian

I have done 30k kms on my X1. First 15k km on RFTs and then shifted to tubeless for the next 10k before shifting back to RFTs. Reason, driving style remaining same 3 regular tyres had sidewall bulges after only 10k km. Earlier in case of RFTs only one tyre was damaged after 15k km. So i am sticking to what BMW wants me to do for now.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 16th March 2014 at 11:40.
Old 15th December 2014, 14:13   #52
BANNED

Re: Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know

There is an pop up ad which comes on the TBHP site when you first open it which talks about Good year Run-o-flat or something similar. Anyone has any experience on them in real life scenarios or is this yet to be launched in India?
Old 5th February 2015, 15:47   #53
BHPian

I have a doubt. Does changing the run flats to tubeless tyres affect the warranty in anyway? Will BMW give it in writing that the warranty on all parts will still remain valid?
Old 5th February 2015, 16:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
I have a doubt. Does changing the run flats to tubeless tyres affect the warranty in anyway? Will BMW give it in writing that the warranty on all parts will still remain valid?
AFAIK it will void your warranty related to suspension parts. The electricals should still be covered though. BMW recommends only RFTs.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:07   #55
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
AFAIK it will void your warranty related to suspension parts. The electricals should still be covered though. BMW recommends only RFTs.
There are a few who change the run flats for tubeless at the BMW showroom before delivery itself. I dont think that voids their warranty.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:29   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
It won't void any warranty. Only tyre replacements under Secure (if you opt for it) will not be applicable.

Also on the newer BMWs you don't really need to change to tubeless tyres.
Old 8th November 2015, 19:13   #57
Team-BHP Support

Excellent reference thread for people like me who are newbies to the world of run flats. Thanks
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 08:45   #58
Team-BHP Support

Hi. I recall years ago I had used some green puncture proofing or puncture sealant fluid that you could put in all your tyres which prevented regular tyres also from goon flat. I'm sure either that or a similar product is still available.

My Q is, can we use that product in the BMW run flats? Would it help. While I know the run flats can run Witt a puncture for a certain distance is it fair to assume this is even better since you don't need to fix the puncture at all.

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:50   #59
BHPian

Re: Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post

Oops ! 6 years & 100k+ kms on, I'm fine with runflats.

Wasn't kicked when I saw a space saver in the F30LCI.

Actually asked the dealer if they would trade it in for accessories like mats etc were I to buy.

IMO, certainly not "space saving", without a "stepney well" in the boot.
I keep the space saver out of my car. Most of the travelling is within the city so if I get a flat I can just call for it if I don't want to drive on the flat. For long trips I put it in the boot, but that affects space there.
Old 23rd April 2016, 22:59   #60
BHPian

Re: Frank Schloeder appointed as acting President of BMW India

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I keep the space saver out of my car. Most of the travelling is within the city so if I get a flat I can just call for it if I don't want to drive on the flat. For long trips I put it in the boot, but that affects space there.
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-runflat0002.jpg

Rest my case

I reiterate, for added peace of mind BMW must be persuaded to extend RSA package to all its cars, irrespective of the age of the car.
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed