Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 11:31   #136
BHPian

Re: Wheel & Tyre Upgrade - Wrangler Silentrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
.. any feedback on these tires?
I had logged about 3000 km on Wrangler Silentrac ATs. Sold the vehicle in April this year. The tyres were doing great.

As I had mentioned in my previous post:

Pros - Definitely a slighty smoother ride, lower tyre noise on tarmac as compared to OEM MRF Wanderers. Also, generous treads with perhaps lower chances of punctures. Retains air pressure for about 3 weeks, tyres required minimal weights for balancing.

Con - Tyres are a tad softer and felt as such during handling in turns in ghat section climbs and descents. Body roll may have increased a tad.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 12th July 2021 at 11:33. Reason: additional
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 17:30   #137
BHPian

re: Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

Tyre upgrade experience with my Duster

I own a 2015 model Duster (85 PS). I had clocked close to 39K KM by end of 2019. Stock MRF Wanderers served me well during my drives that included mix of rough patches through remote villages, city as well as highway drives. I had about 3 instances of punctures in 5+ years. Although tyres had some life left, I wanted to switch to new ones before they wore out completely. During a routine service, I enquired with my regular mechanic. After inspecting the tyres, he said that they would last for another 3 to 4K KM. Since I had a long drive coming up, I decided to go for new ones.
After reading through this forum and making some enquiries with tyre dealers in Bangalore, I decided to go with Yokohama Geolander SUV H/T in stock size (215/65 R16). I booked an appointment at Sai Iyengar tyres in Indiranagar. I arrived at the scheduled time, but they had only 3 tyres in store. It was annoying because I had informed them about my visit and they had confirmed availability of new tyres. I had to wait for over an hour for them to bring in the 4th tyre from another store. In the mean time, I had the pleasure of seeing an elegant 320D shod with Michelins. Finally, the 4th tyre arrived and the following were done-
  • 4 tyres for Rs 32,500/-
  • 4 new stem and valves - complimentary.
  • Rs 500/- refund for old tyres
  • Balancing done as part of the job.
Staff at Sai Iyengar tyres were polite and answered lot of my questions about tyres and the work that they do. They recommended 32 PSI for both city and highway. I used to keep my Wanderers at 30 PSI. So, was skeptical about 32 PSI, but decided to try. Overall, a Sunday morning well spent with my Duster beaming with new tyres.

Driving experience with Yokos

I have clocked over 10K KM with the Yokos and they have been great.
  • I find road grip to be better than MRF Wanderers especially on wet tarmac
  • Tyre noise has reduced to some extent
  • Not much difference in ride quality. Magic carpet ride continues on any surface. I have driven on roads like these:
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-highway.jpg
  • And these:
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-muddy-road.jpg
  • Biggest differentiator has been mileage. It used to be around 14.5 to 15.5 KMPL on the MRFs. With Yokos, I consistently get 17 to 18.5 KMPL on highways. After some experimentation, I have always kept tyre pressure at 32 PSI

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-odo.jpg

Overall, I am happy with Yokohama Geolander SUV
Thanks for reading. Drive safe!
CarML is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:48   #138
BHPian

Posting an update to the below post on this thread..

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5037312

So, that's the backstory given in the link above. Went ahead and bought Continental Cross Contact LX2 which were thankfully available in the OEM size 215/60 R17 for my Duster Turbo. These are much much better than OEM Apollo's, which thankfully I was able to sell at half the price of the new Continental's that I bought, from the same retailer.

Have put in approx 2500 Kms so far and they're pretty reliable, intended for 80% highways and 20% off-road. Road noise has only increased a little bit, since those OEM Apollo treads were silent mainly because of their intended use on Highways only.

Those sidewalls of OEM Apollo's were not strong enough, but the Continental sidewalls are much thicker and strong.

Lets see how long these last.

Pics for reference. Those treads look better and aggressive than the OEM Treads.

P.S. Please ignore my amateurish attempt at painting the tyre letters white
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-img20210725173844.jpg  

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-img20210725173926.jpg  

mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:19   #139
BHPian

Though I have tried seeing , could not find any experience of any for Bridgestone Turanzo in Duster. Is it not a common choice ? I have need to change my stock tyres ( 45 k and boring now ) and 1 choice is BS Turanzo . Any experience ?
Old 28th October 2021, 17:22   #140
BHPian

2014 Nissan Terrano - which tyres?

My Cinderella needs new shoes and I am overwhelmed by the options.

She came with stock Apollo 215/65 in 2014

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-apollo-1.jpeg

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-apollo-2.jpeg

After clocking ~57,000 KM (35% highway, 65% city), sadly, she is no longer well shod.

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-1.jpeg

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-2.jpeg

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-3.jpeg

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-4.jpeg

I am planning to get 4 new ones and retain the best amongst the current ones as the spare.
After surfing the forums I got (more) confused and managed to zero down on these two options (offered by a dealer in my locality).
  1. Yokohama 8700/-
    18 months replacement warranty
  2. Bridgestone 8100/-
    Warranty only on manufacturing defect
*Alignment + Balancing included

I am leaning heavily towards Bridgestone for obvious reasons.

Anything else I need to factor in (or any other alternative I need to consider) before I get the deed done?

Last edited by RedTerrano : 28th October 2021 at 17:24.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:32   #141
BHPian

Re: 2014 Nissan Terrano - which tyres?

Let me confuse you more .

Are you looking at the Yohohama HT or AT tyres?. I went for the HT tyres as it is supposed to be more silent on highways/open roads. They are actually and after 15,000 kms they can be sold as brand new tyres after a wash . They have hardly aged and zero punctures. And they have seen the world's worst roads (Bangalore).
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 23:01   #142
Senior - BHPian

My Duster 110 2017 has the same OEM Apterra HL tyres. 54K kms, and I'm about to replace them by November 15. Haven't made any inquiries yet but my plan is to replace these with another set of Apollo Apterras. i have a very high opinion about them. This is the first time I am about to replace the OE tyre with an Indian brand, in any of my cars be it in currently-own or previously owned. Since 2004.

Take a serious look at Apollo, especially if you're not going for Yokohamas.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th October 2021 at 23:07.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 00:11   #143
BHPian

Why don't you try out the JK Ranger tyres. I have heard the JK is really good at making tyres for SUVs. I'd suggest you to go for the H/T series tyres if your car sees a lot of highway miles and if you do a bit of offroading with it, then get the A/T series tyres. If you're looking at value proposition, then go with the JK Ranger. If you're expecting good grip levels and performance from your tyres, travel mostly on good roads and are okay with high price tag, then go for the Michelin Primacy. And if you want high durability from the tyres that can last you as long as your stock tyres, then go with Apollo Apterra. Apollo has really studied the Indian market well and from my experience, can tell you that Apollo tyres last for a real long duration and have thickest & hardest rubber of all the tyre brands out there. Finally, it's your call. Good luck with the selection.
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:28   #144
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

Is 215/60 r16 a decent tyre to replace the stock 215/65's on a 2013 85ps duster? I find this size to be much much lighter on the wallet compared to the stock setup. I understand that the ride height will slightly reduce but is there anything else I need to worry about?
Old 9th November 2021, 10:59   #145
BHPian

Nissan Terrano (2015)
Upgraded from stock alloys to König Amaze 5 17" alloys,
& Upgraded the rubber from Apollo to Michelin Primacy 3 225/55/r17

Very amazing experience with stance & road noise.
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-whatsapp-image-20211027-16.22.35.jpeg
Old 11th November 2021, 20:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Let me confuse you more .

Are you looking at the Yohohama HT or AT tyres?. I went for the HT tyres as it is supposed to be more silent on highways/open roads. They are actually and after 15,000 kms they can be sold as brand new tyres after a wash . They have hardly aged and zero punctures. And they have seen the world's worst roads (Bangalore).
I second this.The Yokos on my duster have completed 51k and are good for another 10k. They have given good mileage and little trouble throughout.
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:52   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I am currently on the same G055 SUV tires which are nearing the end. They gave me a comfortable running of 40,000 KM. Tires have become stiff and the wear indicators are about to indicate replacement in the next 5,000 Km or so.
How are the G055 Geolander SUV in comparison with the stock wanderers in respect of the following:

1. Wet breaking?
2. Road noise?
3. Comfort and handling?

Have been reading dismal reviews abroad in terms of wet breaking performance. Planning to replace my stock MRF to Yoko based on your inputs.

Regards.
Old 27th November 2021, 20:16   #148
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik.genius View Post
How are the G055 Geolander SUV in comparison with the stock wanderers in respect of the following:

1. Wet breaking?
2. Road noise?
3. Comfort and handling?

Have been reading dismal reviews abroad in terms of wet breaking performance. Planning to replace my stock MRF to Yoko based on your inputs.

Regards.
I think they are marginally better in terms of road noise, much better in comfort, handling is at par. With the minimal rains we see here, they should be fine.

Been really long ago though.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 12:45   #149
BHPian

I am replacing stock Apollo Apterra with following tyres on my Duster AWD:

Brand: Maxxix Bravo 771 AT
Size: 235/60 R16
Price: INR 30,500 including balancing for a set of 4.
Bought at: Universal Tyres, Kailash Colony, Lajpat Nagar.
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-16397252202653329873267259427832.jpg
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 06:07   #150
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I am leaning heavily towards Bridgestone for obvious reasons.
Did you go for the Bridgestone tyres? Some updates will be helpful.

Most Viewed