Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 19:03   #1
BHPian

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

Hey Community. I have booked a Renault duster 85 ps rxl. This version is without the abs. After the test drive I felt that on hard braking the tyres do get locked ( as expected) but the car skids in a straight line . I mean you do have a bit of control over the car as it is skids straight and doesn't swerve sideways. I know this may sound a bit amateurish. Now my question is, can I upgrade the tyres to a size bigger than the stock ones. If yes, then what would be the best recommended upgrade. I would love to upgrade to a 17". This would make the car stance look better too. Would that be feasible.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault Duster : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

With 17s your ride quality would drop. I think the stock tyre width is 215, you can look at 225 or 235 which will improve the grip a fair margin.
Old 14th August 2012, 20:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
I would love to upgrade to a 17".
Please DON'T! The Renault Duster has outstanding ride quality. In fact, there aren't too many cars this side of the 50 lakh Germans that ride like it. Why would you want to lose that crucial advantage?

Also, the stock 215/65 R16 MRF Wanderer tyres offer surprisingly good grip (this coming from a guy who hates Indian-made tyres). 99% of Duster owners should be happy with this tyre.

You should retain the 16" size. If you want, upgrade to even better quality rubber with a 225 patch. 225/65 R16 and 225/60 R16 are both within 2% tolerance. To be safer, the latter is probably preferred. On-road use only = Consider Michelin Primacy LC or Yoko Geolandar HTS. If you are considering onroad & rough road use, try the Yokohama Geolandar ATS. ATS will have much better grip on slippery surfaces like muck and grass. However, you might find the ATS to be noisy on the road.

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2012 at 09:24.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 22:10   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I too was thinking that 17" would be an overkill. Would see the options available in 225 or 235. It seems that primacy lc are preferred choice as far as brand is concerned. Any other brand to he considered.
Old 15th August 2012, 01:35   #5
BANNED

Michelin Primacy LC is very good in view of low tyre noise and grip. All the above posts are very helpful. GTO and akshay1234 rightly mentioned about about rim size. 225 or 235 would be proper. But the car will face higher rolling resistance resulting into lowering the FE. But better grip always is safer.

There will also be a ODO error though negligible. Car's height will be raised by 6.5mm if tyres are upgaded to 225/65 and nearly 21mm on change of rims to 17" + tyre of 225/60. For 235/60 there will be no mentionable difference in ODO or height of the car.

A detailed calculation is given below showing effect of changes of tyres and rims for Renault Duster :

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-changeuduster.jpg

Calculation in XLS file is here:
Attached Files
File Type: xls CAR Tyre change.xls (11.5 KB, 2903 views)
000_RANVIS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 09:35   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I too was thinking that 17" would be an overkill.
Remember, unlike sedans & hatchbacks, SUVs look good with smaller wheels & higher profile rubber. Honestly, large wheels look silly on SUVs.

Small wheels + high profile tyres = . Better ride comfort and no worry about rim damage either.

Pic Credit
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-4runner-wheels.jpg

Pic Credit
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-4runnerlift.jpg

Pic Credit
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-jeepeasterconcepts13.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000_RANVIS View Post
A detailed calculation is given below showing effect of changes of tyres and rims for Renault Duster
Use this online tyre size calculator; far more convenient.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 09:48   #7
BHPian

I would just like to add that higher profile rubber allows you to dig through the loose gravel better and cushions better. Stay within 70 profile and handling should not be a big issue. 235 width for 85-110 bhp is way too much for everyday use (Not very healthy for FE and comfort). I would suggest that stick with stock tyres for 6 months, analyse your trend. AT tyres will rattle your spine on regular roads. They vibrate too much, but offer excellent grip. In city driving AT tyres will not offer good economy too unlike the tyres meant for city usage. While nothing can match comfort and refinement experienced with Primacy LC, i'm not sure if you want to negotiate sharp stones and boulders (or, even use like a soft roader) - These tyres should not be considered in such cases.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 12:06   #8
BANNED

re: Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000_RANVIS View Post

A detailed calculation is given below showing effect of changes of tyres and rims for Renault Duster :

First of all I would like to explain my mistake. Earlier formula in "ODO error" was erroneous by one decimal [was per thousand instead of %]. Revised Calculation method in .XLS file is given below.

CAR Tyre change.xls

Image also corrected accordingly.

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-changeuduster_correction.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Use this online tyre size calculator; far more convenient.
Many many thanks. Of course, it is helpful and more convenient. Previously I also saw some other online calculators. These calculate only presisely but do not show formula or method of calculation to certain extent and it is limited to show particulars, factors what have set to calculate. BUT the enthusiast may not alsways be happy with that, they may also try to find more aspects in this regard. Therefore, someone may also like to analize and calculate himself having the keys of calculation.

We may also see the differences of some calculators for upgrade to a up-size, etc and with warnings, if any in this regard.

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyre-calc_gto-suggested.jpg

A sample of another site which I previusly read. It looks like the image below.

Tyre Upsizing, Tyre Upsizing Calculator, Tyre Upgrade, Upgrading tyres, Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Authorised Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Michelin India, Michelin Tyres, tyrestore chennai

Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-tyrestore_site.jpg

Thanks a lot again.
000_RANVIS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 13:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000_RANVIS
Michelin Primacy LC is very good in view of low tyre noise and grip. All the above posts are very helpful. GTO and akshay1234 rightly mentioned about about rim size. 225 or 235 would be proper. But the car will face higher rolling resistance resulting into lowering the FE. But better grip always is safer.

There will also be a ODO error though negligible. Car's height will be raised by 6.5mm if tyres are upgaded to 225/65 and nearly 21mm on change of rims to 17" + tyre of 225/60. For 235/60 there will be no mentionable difference in ODO or height of the car.

Excellent dude. Thanks for taking out time and updating such useful information. Would definitely take your suggestion and go for primacy lc 225/235 depending on availability in my city. BTW my driving is mostly on tarmac but would be taking my car on my site in Himachal where the roads are on the rough side for about 20 km's or so. Do you think that would be tough on the tyres.
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 17:18   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Excellent dude. Thanks for taking out time and updating such useful information. Would definitely take your suggestion and go for primacy lc 225/235 depending on availability in my city. BTW my driving is mostly on tarmac but would be taking my car on my site in Himachal where the roads are on the rough side for about 20 km's or so. Do you think that would be tough on the tyres.

Primacy LC 225/60R16 is most suitable for 6.5" Width Rims (225/65R16 size for Primacy LC is not available). Though it can be fitted to 6"- 8" rims, 6.5" is recomended by the manufacturer. What is the width of your Duster's rim? Do you know? It is not given in Specs. And Primacy LC 235/60R16 is most suitable for 7" Width Rims (range 6.5" to 8.5"). 235 requires that width. Find out what is available in the market and please also try to ascertain rim's width first before you act accordingly.

Thank you for raising question to me.
Old 15th August 2012, 18:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember, unlike sedans & hatchbacks, SUVs look good with smaller wheels & higher profile rubber. Honestly, large wheels look silly on SUVs.

Small wheels + high profile tyres = . Better ride comfort and no worry about rim damage either.
I agree. Check out these renderings of duster with higher profile rubber. Looks awesome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2863609
Raxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 01:18   #12
BHPian

Update: Not being able to source PLC from Ludhiana. Dealers have Yokohama decibel. Do you think it's worth shifting from wanderers to yokos.
Do let me know at the earliest as I get y cars delivery tomorrow..... I mean today.
Old 19th August 2012, 12:21   #13
BHPian

Check this Duster Out, Bought in India itself. Alloys and wheels look dashing.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano : Wheel & Tyre Upgrade-574666_10151169478045960_585288447_n.jpg  

kicksperliter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

kicksperliter

Thats a killer looking Duster.
Any idea about the wheel specs ? 16 " or 17 " ?
Old 24th September 2012, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Not being able to source PLC from Ludhiana. Dealers have Yokohama decibel. Do you think it's worth shifting from wanderers to yokos.
Do let me know at the earliest as I get y cars delivery tomorrow..... I mean today.
So what did you finally do? I am am sailing in the same boat. Mostly going to be used in the city only but still want to upsize. post some pictures and details if you have done it already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks