Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 15:21   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The "Sir, you have a puncture" Scam - Hogwash!

I think such instances would not happen at fuel bunks supplying free air. There major source of income from you is selling the fuel and the air is being supplied free. Still I do keep an eye on the person filling the air but more because I want to be assured that he screws the valve caps back properly. From now on will try and get out of the vehicle itself.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
http://www.firefoxbikes.com/ProductD...d=31&ProdId=39

is the pump - I always carry it around. Super awesome for filling up car tyres. From zero to full in like ~4-5 mins.
How heavy is the unit and is the pressure reading shown reliable?
Old 9th January 2013, 15:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

@ironshark,

Although I was pleased to knwo that you caught the culprit and punished him, the actual culprit was the owner. Wished you had meted the same treatment to the owner too. This guy is probably cooling his heels off somewhere waiting for things to cool down, regain his confidence and go about the same modus operandi again. Nothings gonna stop him. This time he would careful as to choose his victims more carefully lest have someone like you visit him again.

More than the episode, you will have to be more worried about the abused tyre and take precautions not to use it for longer journeys either as spare or running.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:28   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.firefoxbikes.com/ProductD...d=31&ProdId=39

is the pump - I always carry it around. Super awesome for filling up car tyres. From zero to full in like ~4-5 mins.

Except after each tyre, I need to catch my breath!

You get chinese cheap ones for ~150 bucks from the mass market toy stores (not specialty ones). ask for a football pump that can fill air in a motorcycle.
Thanks!

This might be OT but how is it better than something like this?

Not considering just for the price, the effort taken should be easier by foot, right? Your views?
Old 9th January 2013, 15:30   #65
BHPian

Obviously there's a reason your handle is ironshark!

I would've found it extremely tough to bring myself up to slapping someone - even for a provocation of this scale. A fierce dressing down or a piece of my mind for sure, but I doubt I'd have gotten into a physical altercation of any sort.

I tend to agree with naut there. There's no telling what someone's rage can lead to or in what form/manner it may be vented out in - there have been enough and more newspaper reports on cases that have spiraled out of control. Cases that have started out at petty quarrels at best and degenerated into the most violent and gory ones. Anyway to each his own and am glad you got the issue sorted out eventually and that those chaps have (hopefully) learned their lessons.

On a side note, I'm not sure what this "slap technique" is!!
Omtoatom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:37   #66
BHPian

Appreciate your guts, I wouldn't be able to do this.

On a lighter note: You paid Rs.320 for puncture repair, took Rs.500 from the owner - So, Rs.180 for petrol, time spent and mental harassment!?
vasanthn21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
**This is not a regular [b]"[i]spill-nails-on-the-r

Me - SLAPPPPPP!!! (shattering him) "nahi kiya" (din't do it?)

Chotu - after a long pause and gathering himself - "Sahab, 1 kiya" (i bored one hole in the tyre

Me - SLAPPP !!! SLAPPP !!! "1 ya 4 ?" (1 or 4)

This is indeed bad.
But Ironshark, I assume that the "SLAP" here is just a verbal thing in this story. Well I empathize with Chotu now, if you actually slapped him. There wasnt much fault of chotu for which he got manhandled, it was the owner whom you needed to slap.

Additionally I think investing in the puncture repair kit would be a good idea, the tubeless tire puncture repair doesn't take so much effort that your regular puncture guy should charge you 80 Rs per puncture

Last edited by evilshantanu : 9th January 2013 at 15:46.
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:45   #68
BHPian

I too had such experience whenever I went for tube puncture repair. Puncture wala used to press so hard at the nozzle that air start leaking from there or from tube joint. You need to change tube for such punctures and usually end up buying crap tubes from them which last for 3 4 months only. Later on I started keeping spare tube with me

With tubeless i am at peace but always get down while
1. filing petrol
2. Filling air
Stay with service center till
1. Change oil and filter
2. Clean brakes etc
3. Battery water top up/coolant etc
4. Below body inspection
5. Major part replacement like spark pug/belt etc
I assume they will not replace the part again when I leave the car at their mercy for other jobs
Above practice gives me some satisfaction that job is done correctly (Though I am not punter in car mechanics) and learn something from the service guy at the cost of 1/2 day bunk from office

Last edited by aka_iitd : 9th January 2013 at 15:47.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 16:34   #69
Senior - BHPian

Great job. Although I was born in Bapu's nation, I don't mind if we practice the old adage "Actions speak louder than words" once in a while.

After all, a slap to the "Seat of the problem" by our parents at the right time has made us better citizens today.

Last edited by hrman : 9th January 2013 at 16:42.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 16:41   #70
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Sahab, gaadi puncture hai" - Hogwash!

ironshark: If he has drilled 4 holes in the "sidewall", the tyre is now useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
You did the right thing Sandeep! I had been through similar experience on a Baner road tyre shop - spoiled two of my tyres very badly but took 'similar' steps
Hey, if it is the small shop a little ahead of the BP pump then he bored 10 holes in my sisters car tyre and then charged her Rs. 1500/- for puncture repairs.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th January 2013 at 16:43.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 17:12   #71
BHPian

Re: The "Sir, you have a puncture" Scam - Hogwash!

Read the entire thread. Have a question in mind. If a couple of people are sitting in the car when the pressure is being checked on the tyres, are we not adding a 100 Kgs(approximately) to the weight of the car? The pressure thus is more than what is required. I might be wrong here. I always make it a point to check tyre pressure while driving alone and I stand out when it is being checked.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:41   #72
BHPian

Quote:
These kinda nonsense is why I NEVER go to a pump. bought a decent 1000 rs cycle pump and except for a couple of high end trusted pumps / shops - I NEVER visit a pump for air anymore. Just takes 2-3 mins at home!
Now phamilyman, that's a good suggestion. Thanks. Will seriously think about this.

Ninja, my replies in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
- Kudos, and lucky you to get a final outcome on that. Should be quite (self-)satisfying. You bet. Such bullies ought to be taught a lesson.
- Wouldn't raise the hand on anyone, if I were in your place. Guess everyone to his own methods. I too do it seldomly, but can't take such bullshit.
- Location of this puncture shop? Inspite of what the guilt you read in his eyes, I doubt if he's NOT going to do it again. Location - Akurdi, near Thermax. I feel I read the guilt correctly. Being a hard core HR guy helps
- 4 punctures on the sidewall? Wouldn't recommend you to use that tire. Keep it as the spare probably. Yes. My tyres are due for change anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
You have got guts!

But slapping is entirely different, all I could have done in your place is Yell!

For being born and raised in a country like ours (India), I sometimes think of thanking people like you, even unknowingly. Yeah, laws and orders are there to care of all the miscreants but people like you contribute at certain level and fixes such small issues on-the-spot!

All I can suggest on such incidents to scare them by telling to complain to Police.

BTW, please share the location of that puncture walla, to either avoid him puncturing more vehicles or get SLAPPED from more people!
Thanks. I had to do it. To be frank, I felt bad after slapping the guy hard, but, I can't let someone play around like this. Police, forget it, they're the most useless. Imagine what would have happened if I had taken my wife and lil daughter for a drive that night and got stranded somewhere.

No, these guys had to be taught a lesson that not everyone will tolerate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
How can a guy puncture a tyre so easily?

By a compass or a pin?
Inserting a nail would not be that easy I guess.
Compass or pin is more than enough. Hardly takes any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
From now on will try and get out of the vehicle itself.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@ironshark,

Although I was pleased to knwo that you caught the culprit and punished him, the actual culprit was the owner. Wished you had meted the same treatment to the owner too. This guy is probably cooling his heels off somewhere waiting for things to cool down, regain his confidence and go about the same modus operandi again. Nothings gonna stop him. This time he would careful as to choose his victims more carefully lest have someone like you visit him again.

More than the episode, you will have to be more worried about the abused tyre and take precautions not to use it for longer journeys either as spare or running.
After slapping the Chotu and he confessing everything, I was breathing fire under the owner's neck. He was literally shivering. I doubt wether he'll have any such ideas again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Obviously there's a reason your handle is ironshark!

I would've found it extremely tough to bring myself up to slapping someone - even for a provocation of this scale. A fierce dressing down or a piece of my mind for sure, but I doubt I'd have gotten into a physical altercation of any sort.

Anyway to each his own and am glad you got the issue sorted out eventually and that those chaps have (hopefully) learned their lessons.

On a side note, I'm not sure what this "slap technique" is!!
Believe me Omtoatom, these guys understand such language only. I am sure, incase they want to fool anyone henceforth, my slaps will ring 1000 times in their ears, and they'll think again. That was my motive.

Slap Technique - Well timed and well placed slap right in the middle of one's cheek - Daya (CID fame) ishtyle, and voila - your job is done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Appreciate your guts, I wouldn't be able to do this.

On a lighter note: You paid Rs.320 for puncture repair, took Rs.500 from the owner - So, Rs.180 for petrol, time spent and mental harassment!?
vasanthn21 - Just to make them understand what they had planned and what they landed up with. Yes, mental harassment and waste of time on Tuesday morning was irritating to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
This is indeed bad.
But Ironshark, I assume that the "SLAP" here is just a verbal thing in this story. Well I empathize with Chotu now, if you actually slapped him. There wasnt much fault of chotu for which he got manhandled, it was the owner whom you needed to slap.

Additionally I think investing in the puncture repair kit would be a good idea, the tubeless tire puncture repair doesn't take so much effort that your regular puncture guy should charge you 80 Rs per puncture
evilshantanu - No. SLAP was a verb and it was a HARD SLAP. Chotu or owner, impact was important. Yes, puncture repair kit is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Great job. Although I was born in Bapu's nation, I don't mind if we practice the old adage "Actions speak louder than words" once in a while.

After all, a slap to the "Seat of the problem" by our parents at the right time has made us better citizens today.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
ironshark: If he has drilled 4 holes in the "sidewall", the tyre is now useless.
yes Sirji, all tyres are anyways due for replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
Read the entire thread. Have a question in mind. If a couple of people are sitting in the car when the pressure is being checked on the tyres, are we not adding a 100 Kgs(approximately) to the weight of the car? The pressure thus is more than what is required. I might be wrong here. I always make it a point to check tyre pressure while driving alone and I stand out when it is being checked.
Valid point. On a lighter note, me and my wife would add up a well over 100 kg.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks!

This might be OT but how is it better than something like this?

Not considering just for the price, the effort taken should be easier by foot, right? Your views?
Most foot pumps are a piece of crap. Further, i am a cyclist - my road bike uses the same pump (now over 2.5 years) - it inflates upto 120 psi easily. Having trusted one thing (and seen 1 lemon foot pump & 1 lemon electric one), I go with the sensible alternative. It has proven its worth over and over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
How heavy is the unit and is the pressure reading shown reliable?
very light. like a kilo or so. Reliable it is.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:53   #74
BHPian

Quote:
very light. like a kilo or so. Reliable it is.
For Rs. 70 more, they have a foot pump. I suppose that this will be easy to manage, but can't make out from the picture if it has a pressure gauge.

I've a pump for my son's bicycle, it is very light and very easy to operate. It costed me just about Rs. 175 and has been working fine for over a year now. But, it can't be used for cars.
Old 9th January 2013, 18:05   #75
BHPian

While I was in Pune, this slap technique works out.

BUT...

When you are in bangalore... better do not even think about it.
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks